The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage vocal sound....
Old 4th April 2010
Here for the gear

Vintage vocal sound....

Anyone know how to achieve that 60's garage band vocal sound? I guess, some call it "lo-fi". A little sharp with reverb and maybe even a little overdrive. Not looking to get a super clean hi-fi vocal. I know, crazy, right? Think iggy and the stooges and some nuggets bands.

I know bands in the 60's use to use their amps to sing through. I've seen photos of bands from that time playing and singing through their 4-channel Silvertone amps and all. Just wondering, if you were to use a guitar amp for vocals in a studio, how would you set that up? I'm sure you couldn't just mic the guitar amp....just trying to keep an open mind. any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar382 View Post
I'm sure you couldn't just mic the guitar amp....
Why not?
Old 4th April 2010
Quote:
I'm sure you couldn't just mic the guitar amp....
Do exactly that, still gets done these days for that kind of sound on records.
Old 4th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveytinners View Post
Do exactly that, still gets done these days for that kind of sound on records.
Yay! I guess I'm so use to things being a bit more complex than that. But if that's really all there is to it, right on. I was reading something about a reamp box? What do those do in this situation?
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

vintage vocals- maybe the distortion comes from the hard driven fairchilds? And then the reverb from an echo chamber...
Can you reference some bands? Cause when I am thinking of 60s the Beatles are the first that come to my mind
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Maniac

feists last album had vocals redone through an ac30 i think.

i'd record to disc. then send out (with diff impedance options) to your amp and rerecord to a new track

and them mix them to taste.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yay! I guess I'm so use to things being a bit more complex than that. But if that's really all there is to it, right on. I was reading something about a reamp box? What do those do in this situation?
You take a re-amp box (which will Unbalance a mic cable) from your sound card then into the guitar amp. Then mic the guitar amp. You need a reamp box to take a balanced line level signl, and turn it into the same type of signal that would come out of a guitar!!!!!!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Stooges, MC5, Chocolate Watchband, 13th Floor Elevators, Standells, Castaways, The Sonics, Music Machine, The Seeds, The Strangeloves, The Golliwogs (Creedance Clearwater before the name change and the 70's), Blues Magoos, Shadows of Knight, The Remains, Nazz (featuring a nascent Todd Rungren), Strawberry Alarm Clock, Beau Brummels, Human Beinz, Zakary Thaks, and others .. Mid to Late 60's Psychedelic Garage Rock ..
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sugar

I've sent you a PM (message).

Check your message box.

Regards RAy
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

I think I know exactly what you're going for. Vocals through an amp gets you pretty close, but sometimes sounds too small and/or aggressive compared to the examples you listed. I go that exact sound once by using a dynamic mic like an SM58 into a late 60s cheapo 4 channel PA mixer that had reverb built in. I kind of slammed the input of the PA to get a little distortion and then went out of the line out into my recording setup. I think this is what you're looking for... you'd just have to find a nifty cheap PA mixer somewhere, like a pawn shop. Good luck!
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Sorry to re hash an old post but i am interested in achieving this sound live, I dont want to carry around another amp for vox so i was thinking running a mic into some effects pedals, any ideas, some kind of echo re20 maybe and maybe some kind of overdrive pedalthumbsupthumbsup
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

You could try messing around with a plugin like Soundtoys Decapitator. In 'Punish' mode it might come close to what you want.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

the best sound I ever got was using one of those old RCA mics that came with the open reel recorders. ..

had a 1/4 in jack that I plugged into my DI and then into a fender valve amp..sung through that, it was brilliant.

copperphones sound great too, for this sort of thing. not a fan of using plugins..id rather use cheap stuff and get it right at the source

- Placid Audio
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I'd try an inexpensive ribbon mic for your vocal (or a 57) into an inexpensive tube mic pre,(ART Tube MP? $30) (you'll need the gain wide open for the ribbon), then set up your reverb in your shower using a small near field to send, and your RTA omni mic to receive. Mess around with pointing the near field and mic in different directions. That should be interesting... (you can get some strange effects putting the receive mic right up close in the corners too...) It's a fun experiment.

BTW, when I worked at Gold Star Recording Studios in the late 60's our reverb chamber really was a chamber. It was a smoothly plastered room next door. (it was rectangular and all the room corners and walls were plastered smooth and round). We had an Altec speaker (604E I think) sending, and I can't remember the mic for the return, but that was "IT"... THAT was the Gold Star "Sound". All we had was send, receive, and EQ. Adjustable time delay? What's that? It was what the room was...and it was pretty looooooong too.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfoiler View Post
I'd try an inexpensive ribbon mic for your vocal (or a 57) into an inexpensive tube mic pre,(ART Tube MP? $30) (you'll need the gain wide open for the ribbon), then set up your reverb in your shower using a small near field to send, and your RTA omni mic to receive. Mess around with pointing the near field and mic in different directions. That should be interesting... (you can get some strange effects putting the receive mic right up close in the corners too...) It's a fun experiment.

BTW, when I worked at Gold Star Recording Studios in the late 60's our reverb chamber really was a chamber. It was a smoothly plastered room next door. (it was rectangular and all the room corners and walls were plastered smooth and round). We had an Altec speaker (604E I think) sending, and I can't remember the mic for the return, but that was "IT"... THAT was the Gold Star "Sound". All we had was send, receive, and EQ. Adjustable time delay? What's that? It was what the room was...and it was pretty looooooong too.
(I know this was posted a while ago, but...) Gold Star was where Good Vibrations was mixed, right? Do you know the rough dimensions of the chamber, and if the plaster was glossy or just regular stuff? I'd love to get something similar, but all I have to work with is a small bathroom.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

SM57 into a GAP Pre 73 with the input cranked.
Old 12th March 2012
For stage: TC Helicon make stompboxes and larger processors that can do what they call "Transducer" (think megaphones etc, it's just band passing and lots of distortion options) and reverb. The advantage is that they have mic preamps onboard, so they are made exactly for processing vocals on stage and simply connected to the mic snake.

Some Pods have mic inputs, and can model amps and reverb very well.

Or a mic preamp into a Reamp so you can drive another guitar processor ...
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sure!

First, get so old that your sagging balls ride your own turds around the toilet bowl.

Then have a 3 hour discussion with Bill Hanley regarding the advantages of the rotary pot vs the fader.

Then ask him if you can borrow some of that gear he still has in his brother Terrys barn.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlygurl View Post
well the first step would be impossible for me. but why would I want to talk to some freak'n old hippy sound man who botched the Woodstock job?
You haven't seen the barn!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search