The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico 5012 Vs. Brent Averill 1272,1073 side by side....
Old 7th November 2005
Here for the gear

Portico 5012 Vs. Brent Averill 1272,1073 side by side....

Anybody have the 5012 and either the Brent Averill 1272 or 1073 pre?

I am about to purchase the Averill neve's or the portico but have not heard either of them. I have been using api and gml pre's for years, always wanted to buy a neve of some kind.....

Any suggestions?
Old 7th November 2005
Gear Maniac

I've heard the portico. Nice pre. There's a guy who did a shoot out with a bunch of comparisons between API/great river/portico. Being an API guy would give you a good comparison of the differences regarding the same sound sources....of course would be loosely accurate.

The Averill 1272s have taken some flack I've read...but man have I gotten some really killer tracks out of them. ESPECIALLY snare, kick, acoustic guitar, and baritone male vocals. The Averill 1073s I haven't had personal hands on experience...but Averill is probably one of the best of the clone peole out there...or one of the best anyway. Best of luck in your search. Either one is a good choice though. GML pres rock the fu&*ing house though....I love anything GML

-Christopher heh
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

I had a guy who works with Averill make me a 1272 box, and man did it suck (imo). It sounded awesome and murky if you used it once on 1 thing in the track, but use it on say 3 or more tracks and man did it become a mess! I was really surprised.
The Portico however doesn't build up at all and sounds awesome from the get go. I use a lot less eq now, because stuff ends up sounding the way I want it to. It sounds definitely Neveish, but cleaner and more modern.
Old 7th November 2005
A couple of years ago, I found a bunch of 1073s and 1272s wapped in pastic, in factory sealed boxes. Needless to say, they're in pretty good shape.

I've also got 4 channels of the Porticos.

Don't wast your time on the 1272s. They don't suck, but they are meant to be a line amp, not a mic pre, and it shows.

I use my Porticos on all sorts of things. I haven't used the 1272s on anything other than toms in at least a year. Go for the Porticos over the 1272s.
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

hey, Mike were the 1272's from BAE or ams-NEve?
Old 7th November 2005
Here for the gear

from brent averill. i have heard alot of bad reviews about the 1272, because of the mod that has to be made to turn it into a pre.

i asked Mark from BAE the difference between the 1272 and 1073, he said the only difference was level of impedance. besides that they are indentical pre's he said.

i can see the portico being a different sounding pre than neve's older modules, i think that was rupert neve's intention. i want something that has the old neve sound but dont want to spend the money for the origianls. the BA modules look the best to me
Old 7th November 2005
Here for the gear

I don't have the B/A's but I heard the portico. sounded nice.. although, I was at aes...hard to tell. If you're looking for a Neve-ish sound, have you checked out Great River - MVN2 Really nice. Has that "sound", makes everything huge, but allows you to stack tracks with out it getting muddy. I've used the vintech 1272, 1073's.... they sound great, but you can't use them for everything or it all turns to mush...

my 2 cents..

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorleone

I am about to purchase the Averill neve's or the portico but have not heard either of them. I have been using api and gml pre's for years, always wanted to buy a neve of some kind.....

Any suggestions?
Old 7th November 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorleone

Any suggestions?
If you've always wanted to buy a neve......maybe you should try listening to a Neve 1073 DPA or DPD (but of course I am biased!)
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

i recently used the vintech 1272 and have FINALLY ordered one.
I know that there are a lot of haters out there. I'm not as concerned about how much it sounds like the original, all i know is that it sounded great.

and like i said i finally ordered it

but i'm out of town and won't get to play with it for 12 days
Old 8th November 2005
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDaniels
If you've always wanted to buy a neve......maybe you should try listening to a Neve 1073 DPA or DPD (but of course I am biased!)
wouldn't a reissue be better?
1073 manufactured by Neve to exacting specifications.
Neve 1073 DPA or DPD are not the same .
remanufactured 1073;
these are not "like" them.... These ARE them...
sonic circus has them...

and I think I want one !

http://www.soniccircus.com/store/mer...oduct_Code=742
Old 8th November 2005
Rep
Lives for gear

some good info Posted by thethrillfactor ;

as to why the reissues are better then the Neve 1073 dpa or dpd
Old 8th November 2005
Rep
Lives for gear

here is the rest of that thead....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...=Neve+1073+DPA

Makes me want to get one of those reissue.
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

The BAE 1073s are awesome! I haven't heard the 5012 though.
Old 8th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
some good info Posted by thethrillfactor ;

as to why the reissues are better then the Neve 1073 dpa or dpd
Hi,

Just to clarify i never said that it was a bad sounding preamp.

Actually it sounds pretty good.

I just felt that to my ears it fell short of sounding like the reissue which is what i was hoping to begin with.

If one buys it and is happy with the sound than in the end that's all that matters,

TTF
Old 8th November 2005
Rep
Lives for gear

Well if their saying 1073.....
If your going to go..... Go all the way. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search