The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Subtractive EQ to Far
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Nut

A Subtractive EQ to Far

Yo...

My thing is song writing and getting a good vibe going, I have some technical knowledge but nothing like some of the heads on here.

Anyways, I've had an experiences recently where I really wanted to have a go at producing the absolute best mix I could (previously I've hired someone else to do this for anything I was putting out)

I felt I had a good vibe going but I got a little uptight about overlapping frequencies and starting dishing out at 250 and at 500 on just about everything. You know the whole 'muddy' thing.

It reached a point where I was like, man this thing sucks! and I realised I'd taken all the vibe out of the track, particularly the chords which were elec piano and a pad. It really threw me because it was like the groove had fallen apart which was something I was really pleased with when I wrote the song.

I wanted to share this because I think it's really important to trust yourself when it comes to vibe and feel and sounds being mashed up together is really cool, when you do it right.

While I'm at it I wanted to give a heads up to the free tessla plugin, it brilliant for getting separation in a mix.

Love to hear your tips and experiences with subtractive eq.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search