The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Triggering Drums
Old 1st April 2010
Triggering Drums

Does anyone have any links to good info on drum triggering via MIDI
and what products one would need? I don't know a lot about this particular
area and would like to learn more about it.

Maybe some youtube videos or something as well?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

1. You need drum triggers of course. ddrum makes good ones from 100 to 200 dollars for a pack. and you'll also need a trs cable for each trigger, and those go from the triggers to the converter.

Buy ddrum Red Shot 5-Piece Drum Trigger Pack | Electronic Drum Pads | Musician's Friend

2. you need a midi interface if you dont already have one in your audio interface.

3. you need a trigger to midi converter. The link to an alesis converter but roland makes one as well (TMC6).

Buy Alesis Trigger I/O Percussion Pad to MIDI Interface | MIDI Controllers | Musician's Friend

4. if your triggering drums you probably are triggering samples. If your looking for good sample libraries, I recommend steven slate and superior drummer.
Old 1st April 2010
I know about the libraries, just not about the tech side of hooking it all
up and what I would need. Thanks for the info though

Just curious about it all. I know it's something I need to know.

One question about the ddrum triggers though. Do those work by some sort of velocity sensor
attached to them?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalGropher View Post
One question about the ddrum triggers though. Do those work by some sort of velocity sensor
attached to them?
That's essentially what the triggers are. I believe the triggers have built in piezo sensors to detect velocity. That velocity is sent through midi as a velocity number (0-127) and fires the configured sample.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

YouTube - How To Trigger Software FOR DRUMMIES!

Here's a video on how to trigger an electronic drum. It's basically the same process as acoustic drum triggering but instead of the electronic drum, just imagine the drum trigger on the acoustic drum in it's place
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah, that's exactly right.

However, heads up!

We tried to do this and it didnt end up so well. Our Kick Trigger did not fit correctly with my drummers Tama Starclassic kick (the way the lug nuts and the rim and the this and that). So we tried duct taping it.

That did not work, it was awful, double hit/triple hit. I went in there to try and "clean up" the midi, and still didnt turn out right. Luckily we miked up everything too (wanted to mix in the audio with the midi samples).

Long story short - properly install the triggers, dont duct tapetuttheh
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douaire View Post
Our Kick Trigger did not fit correctly with my drummers Tama Starclassic kick...

Luckily we miked up everything too (wanted to mix in the audio with the midi samples).
Yea, I heard that could be a big problem.

I'd say there is almost no need for drum triggers anymore considering you can just mic up the kit (which you should do even if you are using triggers) and use drumagog or something to replace or mix in samples. I'm personally waiting for Slate Digital's Trigger. $149 for EX library and a drum replacement software is a steal!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search