The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$400 subs!? Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Which Sub would you choose?
JBL LSR 2310sp
1 Votes - 5.26%
KRK 10s (G2)
8 Votes - 42.11%
M-Audio SBX10
3 Votes - 15.79%
Yamaha HS10W
6 Votes - 31.58%
Blue Sky Sub 8 Universal
1 Votes - 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st March 2010
$400 subs!?

5 subs
LSR 2310sp
KRK 10s
Yamaha HS10W
M-Audio SBX10
Blue Sky Sub 8 Universal
I have KRK RP6 G2 monitors, and I don't know which ones to choose. Should I worry about mixing the brands? I have nowhere to demo or A/B them and I want to buy soon, but i'm in the dark on how they sound. I would buy the KRK sub, but I haven't heard very good things about it. Experience? Suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I personally don't like ported subs. They seem too slow for me. I have the Tapco 10" sub, and as long as you don't play it loud and don't expect ultra low extension, they work... at least for me.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
I personally don't like ported subs. They seem too slow for me. I have the Tapco 10" sub, and as long as you don't play it loud and don't expect ultra low extension, they work... at least for me.
Thanks, the only sealed I have on my list is the blue sky and i've leaned toward it, i'm afraid if it won't match well with my KRK's.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Try to find yourself a Tannoy TS-10 or the older model KRK V12s.
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
Try to find yourself a Tannoy TS-10 or the older model KRK V12s.
I certainly would if I could find one at $400. The tannoy has peaked my interest, but the price is a little out of my college student budget.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

The KRK10s is awesome for the price. I have a Tannoy TS10 and it rocks, but if i couldn't afford it, it would def be the KRK
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
The KRK10s is awesome for the price. I have a Tannoy TS10 and it rocks, but if i couldn't afford it, it would def be the KRK
Cool, I swear I've thought I've decided on the KRK a million times only to change my mind. I gotta tell the Sam Ash guy which one to order since they don't have any, and I keep second guessing. I think i'll go KRK, but does anyone else have input?
Old 31st March 2010
I could afford the ts-8...How does that hold up?
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

If you don't mind me asking what are they going to be used for?

I bought a pair of Peavey PV 118 for $500 quid and couldn't be happier, good bang for the buck IMHO.
OF course I use a Rane crossover and Crown amps to drive them.

But then again that's just how I roll I don't have the $$$ to have one set of equipment at home and another on the road for gigs, so everything I have does double duty (with the exeption of a few mics and my Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors). and I look at it this way I will eventually get my money back for the Peavey's,(they earn their keep and help pay for the next set) try doing that with a domesticated sub.

I guess it really depends on what your end game is, if it is giging, taking your show on the road than there is no reason you can't start inching your way toward that goal one piece of gear at a time....
If it's wanting to hear your video games and itunes REAL LOUD at home....then ya, one of these powered floor subs will get you there.

keep shinin

jerm
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragan View Post
I rolled over and died when you posted that link! Thanks soooo much! It's purchased, and being shipped with a 1 year warranty from a 5 star seller. I really appreciate that!
Old 31st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdemo View Post
If you don't mind me asking what are they going to be used for?

I bought a pair of Peavey PV 118 for $500 quid and couldn't be happier, good bang for the buck IMHO.
OF course I use a Rane crossover and Crown amps to drive them.

But then again that's just how I roll I don't have the $$$ to have one set of equipment at home and another on the road for gigs, so everything I have does double duty (with the exeption of a few mics and my Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors). and I look at it this way I will eventually get my money back for the Peavey's,(they earn their keep and help pay for the next set) try doing that with a domesticated sub.

I guess it really depends on what your end game is, if it is giging, taking your show on the road than there is no reason you can't start inching your way toward that goal one piece of gear at a time....
If it's wanting to hear your video games and itunes REAL LOUD at home....then ya, one of these powered floor subs will get you there.

keep shinin

jerm
It's for production mainly. Light mixing duty at the bottom end, but I'm the guy who sends his stuff to get mixed by someone else or just let's the customer do what they want with the beat. I really want a sub so I feel my music more when I'm making it, especially bass lines. I just feel like i'm working my KRK's too hard without a sub.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

That's awesome! It's a great sub too, enjoy.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of Adam A7s and the new KRK 10" sub which I picked up within a hour after bringing the A7s home. The new KRK has a footswitch jack which along with a simple DPDT pedal switch cuts the sub in and out which is very handy, though the pedal isn't included. Seems it was about $350 on sale at GC, and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

I have the Tannoy TS12 and love it for checking the bass in my mixes!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

lookup hsu research
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
It's for production mainly. Light mixing duty at the bottom end, but I'm the guy who sends his stuff to get mixed by someone else or just let's the customer do what they want with the beat. I really want a sub so I feel my music more when I'm making it, especially bass lines. I just feel like i'm working my KRK's too hard without a sub.
OK that certainly narrows it down, provided your room is treated properly and you know how to set up a good crossover you should be fine with the Tannoy.

keep shinin

jerm
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I tried most if thE subs in your poll this weekend.

I have been using an infinity sub for the last 10 years... Coincidentally it's the same on Chris Lord Alge uses.... It sounds significantly better in my room than any if those you mentioned. It's fast and clear and tight. Unforruantely it die this last weekend. I've mixed a slew of billboard hits on that little 10" infinity. I tried the KRK, JBL, and Yamaha and they were all very loose and mucky. Then I tried some very expensive subs... They were way too huge and also not fast enough.

Then on a whim I went to my local audio store - big chain store called Ultimate electronics, and tried a bunch of subs. Found one called the Mirage omni s10 for about $500. Sounds very much like my infinity but even better specs... Absolutely kills Anything I heard in that price range and even the more expensive ones I tested. It seems it can be had online for the same price. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
lookup hsu research
+1 for HSU, or Elemental Designs. I have an A2-300 ($300) which is pretty flat down to 22hz with the port plugged.

There's a ton of test data on subs on avsforum. You'll find that many/all of the subs in this poll have pretty crappy frequency response when compared to others.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
I tried most if thE subs in your poll this weekend.

I have been using an infinity sub for the last 10 years... Coincidentally it's the same on Chris Lord Alge uses.... It sounds significantly better in my room than any if those you mentioned. It's fast and clear and tight. Unforruantely it die this last weekend. I've mixed a slew of billboard hits on that little 10" infinity. I tried the KRK, JBL, and Yamaha and they were all very loose and mucky. Then I tried some very expensive subs... They were way too huge and also not fast enough.

Then on a whim I went to my local audio store - big chain store called Ultimate electronics, and tried a bunch of subs. Found one called the Mirage omni s10 for about $500. Sounds very much like my infinity but even better specs... Absolutely kills Anything I heard in that price range and even the more expensive ones I tested. It seems it can be had online for the same price. I'd highly recommend it.
Does the Mirage omni s10 have balanced input and output?
I'm considering the HS10W or maybe a KRK10S to go with my HS50M, I never used a subwoofer before but my room is so small now that I'm tempted to try my smaller speakers (HS50M) with a sub instead of my bigger speakers which create too much low mids build up on top of my console.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search