The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OFF TOPIC: New Orleans / Memphis tips wanted?!
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

OFF TOPIC: New Orleans / Memphis tips wanted?!

Hi There,

ThanX for all the Nashville tips in this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&threadid=3278
... I will also be there (in a month), so every piece of advice is welcome.
Last summer I went to the west for three weeks (SF, LA, Yoshua Tree, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Vegas, Fresno, Yosemite, Sequoia)
This year me and my girlfriend are doing more of a music trip, than a National Park trip.
So: New Orleans / Nashville / Memphis... all that stuff!

Besides the Nashville tips in the thread metioned, do any of you have good ones for Memphis and New Orleans?
(places to see, eat, drink, enjoy music)
We'll be in NewO on the 4th of July... should be great?!

But some people over here say we should really be carefull in New Orleans..... Is it really 'that' dangerous?!

As always: ThanX in advance
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Well, If it was me, I'd stay right in the French Quarter. That way you can walk everywhere, without need for cabs. Try to stay at one of the larger chains right in the french quarter, best western or something -- one that has a real lobby and parking underneath. Then you can get to town, park, check in, go upstairs, and chill out while you decide where to walk for drinks/music/food. Later on you can stumble back in the relative safety of the Bourbon street crowd to a decently clean hotel room. Beware of smaller B&B's, unless your partial to bloodstains or whatever on the carpet etc, and furniture bolted to the wall.

Plenty of places to eat great food and I'm sure there are plenty of online guides or brochures once you get there. Ask around, food changes.

It can be a blast, just keep your wallet in your front pocket, or travel lightly.

Best of Luck,

Mack
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear
In New Orleans, I recommend Rita's Old French Quarter restaurant. Of course, there is K-Paul's, which is Paul Pruchomme's restaurant.

Steve, www.mojopie.com
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Memphis

Hi Gie-Sound

I did a similar thing a few years back - drove across from Detroit to Chicago then down to New Orleans via Memphis in time for Mardi Gras...

Firstly I would say although its not musical, the Motel in Memphis where Martin Luther King was assasinated is now a fascinating Civil Rights Museum... an absolute must see IMO. I also enjoyed the Gracelands Tour - not as tacky as I imagined at all. I think somebody mentioned that there is now a Stax museum too...

New Orleans is a little hairy, but as mentioned above - don't venture away from the tourist centre and just be sensible - just like any other major US city...

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Burt
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear
More on New Orleans...

It's a great town. I really like it during the day. If you get one of the guides like Frommers, then it'll have some "walking tours" of the city. Do one of these with your girlfriend. Lots of history in that town.

I'd take time out at least for some easy time through the French Quarter and the Garden District.

You need to be very careful where you are going and never go anywhere alone at night.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hi Gie-Sound, I'm originally from New Orleans and now live in Slidell La. near New Orleans. There's lots of history there. There are great places to eat but I would not venture into the local neighborhoods unless you know exactly where you are going. Stay in populated areas such as the French Quater. Even though the Quarter is touristy it's intreasting. There are lots of resteraunts on Decateur street but are expensive. Tu Jacques is good. There is also a resteraunt on Canal st. that used to be Werline's music store that my wife likes. For a quick breakfast or snack you can get coffee and begnets (pronounced ben-yeas)at the Cafe DuMonde. There are less expensive restraunts in other areas but would not send you there for your saftey. DO NOT go into Cemataries without a tour group. Hope you have a good time in New Orleans.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Guru

New Orleans.......Nola's for the duck...the Pelican Club...what is the name of the oyster joint across from Acme Oysters???...a little more funky but cool...any bar with live music...

Memphis...follow your nose downstairs to the Rendevous Room for Ribs....and then Beale Street....

sounds like a fun trip...

john
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Oh Yea! Forgot to mention, for the local music happenings check out the free Gambit magazine. And WWOZ 90.7 FM. WWOZ is a local radio station that plays a lot of New Orleans Jazz and Heritage music, some very obscure you won't hear anywhere else. Everything from the Mardi Gras Indian tribes, R&B, Fat's Domino, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong to Cajun, Zydaco,to very early recordings from the 20's, even Irish music. I've even heard them play a studio tape of E.K. Doe's "Mother-In-Law" with someone stopping after a few measures and telling the band to try it at a slower tempo. I think weekday mornings before noon is when they play the best music (old New Orleans R&B). Sorry for rambling so much.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Head

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but for a recording buff a tour of Sun Studios in Memphis is like visiting the Holy Grail. Sure the control room gear has all been replaced with more current (non-original) stuff, but the vibe of the place is incredible, our guide (obviously a musician or tech) knowledgeable and friendly. Entire tour maybe takes an hour but there is much to see on your own as well. Easily one of the highlights of my drive across the country a few years back. The studio Sam Phillips built (maybe he bought an existing studio, don't know) after selling Sun is not too far away either. My guide recommended a fish house off the beaten track that was great and full of locals. Didn't see Graceland (doh!) but I think there may be a package deal to get bussed to Graceland and Sun Studios. The main drag in Memphis with all the blues clubs struck me as a bit mummified for consumption by tourists. Kind of like a blues version of San Francisco's Pier 39 area, maybe I exaggerate too much.

As for New Orleans, I stayed at a nice enough, slightly funky but quite affordable B & B in the Garden district for last year's Jazz festival. The name is the St. Charles Guesthouse, I think it may be part of the Hilton empire, the folks were nice and the pool was perfect. It is on a train line that takes you into the French Quarter and is in a charming neighborhood. Most of the time I got around on a bicycle, a pretty laid-back way to experience a city. At night most visitors seem to go for cabs. I felt safe in New Orleans, wouldn't worry too much.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Zenfreud, Glad you enjoyed N.O. The streetcar is preaty safe transportation in that area. They seldom get in wrecks. There's an intreasting old timey bar on the corner of Magazine and Napolean that's somewhat historic. It's one of the beer stops of the walking krews on Mardi Gras. It's got a real old bar and ceiling. Glad you didn't have any problems but I still say if you're a tourist who doesn't know his way around N.O., you may get lost and end up in a bad neighborhood. And, DO NOT go in Cemataries espicially St.Louis and St. Roch (where my faimily is burried in the Campo Santo) unless you're with others. If you choose to go in a cematary by yourself be alert and aware of your suroundings. I'm 6'1" 300 lbs., can take care of myself and scarry looking and wouldn't go by myself. When I go with my brother and our wives to St. Roch I carry a 38.
Old 7th June 2003
Motown legend

The Sun studio is cool but on the whole I was pretty disappointed with Memphis other than my stop at Ardent.

Dave Martin and I are planning to check out the Stax museum soon. I'm hoping it will be well done.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

My girlfriend allready booked a hotel in N.O. :
Ramada Inn & Suites
1315 Gravier Street

So, Is that in French Quarter (or at least somewhere safe?)

ThanX for all the tips so far!
keep em comming heh
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

Definitely recommend Nola's for a nice (expensive but worth it) meal. Had a great time eating oyster after oyster at the Acme. New Orleans oysters are their own thing, and worth trying. If you get the idea to check out the strip clubs, i liked the Artist Cafe: homey and personable, not glitzy and gross. But to each his own.

The Ramada you've booked is a few blocks out of the French Quarter, a fine spot.
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

New Orleans in July could quite possibly be one of the hottest places on earth. Since you're from the Netherlands, you should be sure you're prepared for the heat!
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alba359
Sorry for rambling so much.
Keep it comming alba! This stuff is better than the "normal" tourists guidesheh

Quote:
Originally posted by drummerman15
New Orleans in July could quite possibly be one of the hottest places on earth. Since you're from the Netherlands, you should be sure you're prepared for the heat!
We had some high temparatures in Vegas and Phoenix last july, but that was dry heat... The heat in the south-east is really different isn't it? grudge

heh
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jajjguy
The Ramada you've booked is a few blocks out of the French Quarter, a fine spot.

ThanX Jajjguy.
I just looked them up on the internet. They also have a Complimentary shuttle to French Quarter, Riverwalk, Aquarium & Imax.... So we can spend some extra bucks on dinner instead of cabs.
Where in N.O. and Memphis should we go to for a good "meat-dinner"?? (I'm just not into fish, so meat for this boyheh)
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Gie-Sound, If you can get the FRIDAY edition of the Times-Picayune newspaper on the week you arrive there's a section called Lagnaippe (which is a local term for something extra). In this section it lists happenings in and around N.O. for the entire week, such as bands playing at clubs for that week. It also list museums, etc. and goings on for that week. As far as meat dishes there is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, but they're expensive. If you like fried seafood there's a place called Deanies (spelling may be incorrect) on 1713 Lake Ave.in Metarie near Lake Pontchatrain. There's a dish there called the "Giant Seafood Platter", it can feed 3 average people or 2 hungry people. You get fried shrimp, oysters, fish, catfish, crawfish balls and 2 softshell crabs. I believe it also comes with boiled potatoes and coleslaw for $34.95. I'll guarantee 1 person can't eat the whole thing at one sitting. 2 people will have a doggie bag. It's more of a local type place not touristy and in a good neighborhood. No reservations, first come, first serve. On a holiday you have to wait in a long line. On WWOZ today they played some Dixieland obscure cuts recorded in the fifty's, sounded great. You might want to take a little recorder with you. Sorry for rambling.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

I used to live there and go back every few years (or so.)

Here are some places I would suggest -

restaurants

bayona
www.bayona.com
430 dauphine street (french quarter)

great food by susan spizer. a unique mix of styles: french, south west, nouvelle, etc. outdoor patio dining

belle froche
www.belleforche.com
1407 decatur street ( just outside french quarter in the marigny. easy walk) 504.940.0722

ok to good food but great chocolate deserts, open late

bistro at maison deville
733 toulouse street (french quarter)

great food in a true bistro setting. french cusine. outdoor patio dining

dick and jenny's
4501 tchoupitoulas street (uptown off napoleon avenue. cab) 894.9880

home cooking with a a great balance of n.o. traditional + creole

feelings cafe
www.feelingscafe.com
2600 chartres street ( outside french quarter in the marigny. cab) 945.2222

kind of quaint and the food can be good.

galatoire's
www.galatoires.com
209 bourbon street (french quarter)

fun on a late friday afternoon.

gabrielle
3201 esplanade avenue ( outside french quarter near museum and city park. cab) 948.6233

really good!

herbsaint
www.herbsaint.com
701 saint charles ( outside french quarter in the CBD. cab)

french and nouvelle. really good!

irene' cuisine
539 saint philipstreet (french quarter)

solid italian food. great duck.

marisol
437 esplanade avenue ( just outside french quarter in the marigny. easy walk) 943.1912

all over the place but one of the best chefs in new orleans. another favorite!

peristyle
1041 dumaine street (french quarter)

french / nouvelle. not to be missed if you can get in!

santa fe
801 frenchman ( just outside french quarter in the marigny. easy walk) 944.6854

southwest when the mood hits.

uglesich's
1238 baronne street ( central city. do not walk!)

lunch only but real new orleans cooking and atmosphere. should not be missed.

music and bars

funky butt
714 n. rampart street (french quarter)

brass bands and local flavor
napoleon house
www.napoleonhouse.com
500 chartres street (french quarter)

classical music and an etherial atmosphere!
shim sham club
www.shimshamclub.com
615 toulouse street (french quarter)

live music and hipsters
el matador
504 esplanade (french quarter)

live music and hipsters
shug harbor
626 frenchman street

jazz

d.b.a.
618 Frenchmen Street
942-3731

live music and hipsters with a good selection of scotch

frenchman street between esplanade and elysian fields has a good street scene on weekends.

links:

http://www.nolalive.com/

http://bestofneworleans.com/

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/6157/

http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...archtypes.html

http://www.hnoc.org/

I hope this helps.

Carlos
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jwh1192
New Orleans........what is the name of the oyster joint across from Acme Oysters???...a little more funky but cool...
Felix's, which I recommend. Again, Cafe DuMonde for begniets.

Stay in or near the Quarter. Prowl the art galleries on Royal by day, and the nightclubs and restaurants by night. music pours out of open windows everywhere. Stay out of dark alleys and don't worry too much. N.O is one of the friendliest cities on the planet.

-R
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Boll
I used to live there and go back every few years (or so.)
Here are some places I would suggest -
Carlos
WOW Carlos, what a list!!
What did you do for a living?? Tourist info centre or something?heh
Great stuff!

(Now I can pull&push my girlfriend around for a few days. THAT will be a change in our holiday experienceheh)
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Addict

I should start a Tourist Info Center!

Keep in mind that New Orleans has gotten alot better in the past years in so far as the crime goes. I think the 'Murder Capitol of the USA' honor has been given to another city. Just be careful and don't stray too far off the beaten path.

Carlos
Old 11th June 2003
Moderator emeritus

The last time I was in N.O (one of the locals may know when it was - it was the year William Shatner was inthe Bacchus parade)\

By far, the best food that we had (and one of the coolest dining eqperiences) was at Antoines - expensive but it was worth it.
Old 11th June 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by alba359
As far as meat dishes there is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, but they're expensive.
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a chain... so the one in N.O. will be like the one in Portland, OR will be like the one in ______. If you're into 'consistency' then it's a good thing... if you're into checking out the "local flavor"... it's a drag.

YMMV.
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

OK,
Could you Americans enlight me on this 4th of July thing??
We are in N.O. on the 4th, and have no ID what to expect....
Parades? Closed Shops/restaurants?

Could you guys please explain what goes on at such a day?

What are the DO's and DONT's???tutt
What are the PROS and CONS??
Old 11th June 2003
Here for the gear

Are you by any chance renting a car while you're here? The drive from Memphis to New Orleans is pretty cool. I can't remember the route # off-hand but it parallels the Mississippi River in the State of Mississippi. You can get a real sense of both the new and old South on that drive and the history (musical and otherwise) is great. Natchez, Mississippi has a lot of beautiful Southern Mansions, Vicksburg has a lot of Civil War history(if you're interested in that kind of thing). One thing I would definately do if you can, is get out of New Orleans and go to some of the small bayou towns. Stay in some crap motel, eat lots of Cajun food and go check out a local zydeco band the likes of which cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Probably some of the more interesting things will by away from the cities.
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Gie, That free magazine that gives you the heads-up on the music scene in N.O. may be entitled Off Beat or Gambit, they're both good. I don't know if the restraunts sell the old traditional dishes anymore; Nutria (looks like a big rat but is delicious if cooked right) smoked pig tails & cabbage, alligator sauce picante, Cowan(turtle)stew, marsh hen, red beans & rice with smoked hocks, Bar-B-Q goat, blood sausage, pig feet etc., you'll have to settle for the newer stuff. If you like museums the Cabildo and Presbytere are on eithere side of St.Louis Cathedral, the old mint at the Esplanade st. end of The French Market, The Confederate museum on Camp St. and D-Day museum. If a little kid comes up to you and bets you $5 that he can tell you where you got your shoes don't bet. He'll either say "on your feet" or name the street you're on. A kid tryed that on me and I told him "I'm wearing my brothers shoes", the little creep ran off when I insisted on the $5. As long as you stay in areas such as the Quarter you should have no problems. You should be careful in areas such as the 9th ward near the Industral Canal. That's where I was brought up, it used to be a nice working class 1st through 3rd generation imigrant (Italian, Irish, German, French) area when I was comming up. Have fun and try not to gain too much weight!
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Gie-Sound
OK,
Could you Americans enlight me on this 4th of July thing??
We are in N.O. on the 4th, and have no ID what to expect....
Parades? Closed Shops/restaurants?

Could you guys please explain what goes on at such a day?

What are the DO's and DONT's???tutt
What are the PROS and CONS??
Restaurants, etc. should be open, though I'm sure there will be a few other things closed.

The biggest 4th tradition is probably a fireworks show, usually a big one in each city, with tons of smaller ones elsewhere. I'd ask around to find a good spot for watching it, if you like that sort of thing.

There are also usually parades in the morning, so if you're driving, things could get difficult.

Otherwise... it's all pretty casual, more like a big party than anything else. There does tend to be plenty of drinking, so I'd be extra-wary of people who seem out of control.

Frankly, though, that's true of the French Quarter every night of the year.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Oh Yea, forgot,If you want a quick lunch there's a place with a lunch counter across from the French Market called The Central Grocery. It smells like an old Sicilian kitchen. They sell olive oils and canned goods (mostly Italian). They have a sandwich called the Mufalata (muff-a-lota), Italian cold cuts and cheeses on a large seeded bun with olive salad dressing. You can also get a container of olive salad seperately. I suggest getting the mufalata cut in half. They're a bit high priced (mufalata is probably $7.00) due to location, and not as good as homemade. It's not far from Jackson Square where you can sit on the leve and get a good view of the Mississippi River with tug boats and Paddlewheelers on one side and Jackson Square and the St.Louis Cathedral on the other. The main sandwich you'll find in New Orleans is called the Po-Boy. It's origin goes back to a sympathetic store owner who gave sandwiches to striking transit workers. When the store owner saw a striker the would say "Here comes another po-boy" (poor boy) and fix a sandwich for him on french bread. You can get many kinds of po-boys but the most popular are oyster, roast beef, shrimp or hot sausage. If you want lettuce, pickles and tomatoes on it order it "dressed".
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Oh yea, 4th of July a bit dull. They usually have a fireworks display at the river. Don't know of any parades. A few years ago a lady tourist got killed on New Years because some clown was shooting his gun up in the air. People don't realize that what goes up comes down. The police have since cracked down on discharging weapons. St. Patricks Day is bigger than July 4th here. They have parades where the Irish throw cabbages and other vegatables and sometimes chicken feet to the onlookers. The walking groups carry a stick with flowers and trade the flowers for kisses from the ladies. Lots of drinking.
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a chain... so the one in N.O. will be like the one in Portland, OR will be like the one in ______. If you're into 'consistency' then it's a good thing... if you're into checking out the "local flavor"... it's a drag.

YMMV.
Furthermore, the one in N.O. is not conveniently located. There is a place called the Old N'Awlins Cookery in the Quarter that features some sort of ribeye, I think, that is slow cooked on a water grill for several hours. Quite tasty and affordable, and you can trade bites if your dining companion gets some etouffe or something else regional and wonderful. Very casual and informal. Somebody else recommended Bayona, which is a little pretentious but the food almost lives up to it. Sort of arty, but you can get a good piece of meat and dinner on the patio is truly magical. You'll need reservations for this one.

Personally, I think the best regional Louisiana cooking is very lowbrow. Lots of celery and onions and roux wrapped around whatever is being caught or killed, with hot spice to make it interesting and rice to protect your stomach lining.

And don't forget to suck some heads while you're there.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search