The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OFF TOPIC: New Orleans / Memphis tips wanted?!
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by earlmcqueen
Are you by any chance renting a car while you're here? The drive from Memphis to New Orleans is pretty cool. ....
Probably some of the more interesting things will by away from the cities.
Yep, that's the way we do it earlmcqueen!
there are lots of other cities/towns on our trip, but I just wanted some more info on these... We will also go to the smokey mountains, the east coast (some islands there?!). Besides that, we will fly on Orlando, so we also do some of the south-coast when we go to New Orleans.
Is anyone is intersted, I can mail our exact trip in this forum.

Last Year we drove 3700 kilometers (2312,5 miles?) with our rental Chevy. This year will be close to 4000km.
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

Memphis tips

Well, you're pretty much obligated to visit Sun Studio in Memphis while you're here. I would also check out the new Stax museum (although I have not yet seen it myself). And as someone mentioned before, the Civil Rights Museum which is the location of MLK's assasination, is definitely worth seeing, very well done. There's always Graceland. Don't know if the King is your bag or not. I was facinated with the place the first time I went years ago, but I totally understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea. If you've never been before, I say check it out. While downtown, try the BBQ ribs at the Rendezvous, and you can always do some late-night boozing on Beale St. Yes, you're going to find plenty of tourist types on Beale, and I think you'll find that Bourbon St. is packed full of them. That shouldn't stop you from sampling those locations though. Hey, those are still some of the only places in the country where you can legally drink on the street.

If you want to get away from downtown for eats/drinks, there are loads of interesting bars and food joints lining the street on Madison Ave (which runs parallel to Union Ave) between Cooper St. and the point at which Madison crosses over the expressway. On this street you'll also find Ardent Studios, and Sam Phillips' post-Sun studios.
Take the trolley tour while you're downtown as well. It runs parallel to the Mississippi and it will take you to some interesting food, drink, art galleries, locations that you otherwise would never see. Now that I think of it, I believe the new trolley line is now operational that connects the downtown area to the mid-town Madison Ave area. It doesn't go all the way east through Madison to Cooper, so you would still need a cab to get from the trolley drop-off to Cooper. But if you were to pay a flat trolley rate (which should be REALLY cheap btw) you could ride the trolley back downtown later on. I think that would probably be the most interesting way to do it.
Oh and do take the time to walk a couple of blocks out to the river at some point for a stunning view of the Mississippi. :-)
I'll probably come up with a few other things later. Just going off the top of my head here. Brad Blackwood should be of some use here as well.

Tardy
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

Glad to hear you're not just hitting the major cities. I live in the Smokies (North Carolina side). I haven't been here that long but if you're looking for something in particular I could probably help find it. Asheville is a great town. Make sure that car has air conditioning! I've been to Memphis in July and I can only imagine what NO will be like then. You guys are hard-core. The outer banks islands of North Carolina are cool. Louded with people in July, though. The sand dunes at Kill Devil Hills(near where the Wright Bros. had their maiden flight) and the drive-through liquor stores are probably worth the trip. Make sure you eat the East Carolina style B-B-Q (if you're not vegetarians). Less sweet and more vinagery.
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Head

http://www.weid.org/Trips%20&%20Outd...siana-food.htm

Take that with a grain of salt as some may be outdated.

The Sonesta in the quarter is an awesome place to stay.

I'd say if you do nothing else:

- have a mufalata at Cafe Mespero
- have a Red Stallion at Crecent City brewhouse
okay, have 3
- have a beignet at Dumonde
- have one really good dinner somewhere
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Gie-Sound, If you get a sweet tooth there's a shop in the French Market called Even's. They sell pralines and candies. Ask for a sample of "pralined pecans" and see if you like them. Regular pecan pralines can be had anywhere but those pralined pecans are great.
Old 13th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by earlmcqueen
Glad to hear you're not just hitting the major cities. I live in the Smokies (North Carolina side). I haven't been here that long but if you're looking for something in particular I could probably help find it. Asheville is a great town. Make sure that car has air conditioning!
Yep... I think we will stay 1 or 2 nights in Asheville
And yes our RentalCar has Airco..... I asked for it anyway...
Talkin'about Asheville and the Smokey Mountains; any special tips??

Quote:
Originally posted by kents
http://www.weid.org/Trips%20&%20Outd...siana-food.htm
Take that with a grain of salt as some may be outdated.
Kents, Alba and Carlos should team up and start your own info-centre!!!heh

Man, I can't thank U guys enough...
Old 13th June 2003
Here for the gear

As far as Asheville and the Smokies go, it really depends what you're into. If you like kitsh and all things tacky (Dollywood, Pigeon Forge) then the Tennessee side has a lot to offer. There is a ton of outdoorsy stuff just about anywhere - backpacking, day hikes, fishing, rafting, you name it. Also, if you aren't that into exercise just drive up to the Blueridge Parkway (it runs right through Asheville.) Lots to see within an hours drive -picnics, whatever. Joyce Kilmer forest is supposed to be cool (old growth). Cade's cove on the Tennessee side is beautiful. I don't know if you are into traditional appalachian music, but this is one of the best areas in the country for it. You can go to some of the weekend festivals around here and see people in their 80's and 90's still playing. If you're rich try staying in the Biltmore or Grove park Inn. Huge estates left over from Asheville's heyday as a playground for the ultra-rich. Lots of great food in Asheville and at 2500 feet it will probably have the mildest temperatures on your trip. Also, after driving through Mississippi and Alabama, you may(or may not) be relieved to see all the hippies we have here.
Old 13th June 2003
Gear Addict

Sure wish we had hippies here in NYC.
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey Gie-Sound, I got this information from the Lagniappe section of Friday's Times-Picayuune; Weekend plan e-mail bulletin www.nola.com/rose There is also nola.com Also hope you get to check out one of the Second Line or Brass bands. Some popular ones are, The Olympia Brass Band (you may have seen them on TV in funeral processions), The Dirty Dozen, Treme' Brass Band and Rebirth Brass Band. I'm going to N.O tomorrow morning to do some metal detecting with a couple of fellows from work (if it doesn't rain).If I hear of anything intreasting for the 4th of July I'll let you know. It's too bad Pete Fountain retired, I thought he was the best most soulfull sound to come out of New Orleans in my lifetime. Have a good time, be safe and if driving pay attention to the parking signs and parking meters so you don't get your car towed away or booted. If in doubt there's parking lots that charge by the hour on either side of Jackson Brewery near Jackson Square. That's where my wife and I park when we go to the Quaters and have never had any problems. Sincerely, Don Albanese
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Maniac

www.neworleansweb.org/deadcity.html (For cemetary info) neworleanscoupons.com (For coupons)
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
And don't forget to suck some heads while you're there.
-R
Sorry... I forgot to ask, but we don't know that expression.
Help me out here.... It sounds like it's got something to do with booooozeheh
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Head

it refers to boiled crawfish. Eat the tail, suck the head.

ps: be sure and wash your hands before you touch anything ... er ... uh .. delicate, after eating crawfish. The burn would not be fun. Spicy stuff.
Old 17th June 2003
Lives for gear

For anyone who wants to know:

30 june: 1 night in Kissimmee
1 july: 1 night in Tallahassee
2 july: 1 night in Pensacola
3 july: 3 nights in New Orleans
6 july: 2 nights in Natchez
8 july: 1 night in Vicksburg
9 july: 2 nights in Memphis
11 july: 2 nights in Nashville
13 july: 2 nights in Hendersonville
15 july: 2 nights in Charleston
17 july: 1 night in Savannah
18 july: 2 nights in Jacksonville
20 july: 1 night in Kissimmee

(and yes, there is someone staying at our home while we're gone... sorry!)
Old 17th June 2003
Gear Maniac

It's "Pinch the tail, suck the head". It refers to the way you eat crawfish. You pop the head of the crawfish off and suck the jucies out of the head, then you peal some of the shell segments off of the tail and pinch the meat out. Boiled crawfish are running about $1.39 Lb. right now. Price goes up and down, (supply & demand).
Old 26th June 2003
Lives for gear

BIG THANX everybody!

Well.... monday-morning (7:00 AM local time) we'll take off....

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread

So if you see a rental-Chevy with a white-foam cool-box on the backseat in the next few weeks... make some roomheh

thnX again!!!
Old 26th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Have fun, be careful and don't gain too much weight!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear