The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Everybody Ready for my big stupid question?
Old 6th November 2005
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
tubesandteles's Avatar
 

Everybody Ready for my big stupid question?

I can't believe I am asking this, but.
Is there any way to track through a compressor plug-in on a Cubase SX 2 system? I know this is probably really dumb, but honestly, I don't know.
Old 6th November 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

Don't be so apologetic. It's a valid question.

I don't use Cubase, but S.O.S. has:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...ubasenotes.htm

quote:

"For example, you could record an audio signal with a compressor plug-in already printed in the signal path, by using an insert effect on the input channel, as you would any other channel on the Mixer. And while I personally find this approach less flexible (compared to always recording a completely dry signal), I know there are many people who feel completely the opposite way. You can toggle the visibility of the input channels on a Mixer window by clicking the Hide Input Channels button in the upper-right area of the Common Panel."

I wish Sonar had this functionality...
Old 6th November 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tunesmith's Avatar
 

If it's like Logic, you can insert a compressor into the signal chain and always hear the compression, even though the actual wave form is not going to tape compressed. If you just leave the compressor there, I guess it's sort of the same thing.

I, personally, can't imagine a situation where I'd want to commit plug in compression to tape, but then I have a CL1b and a Distressor. I commit them to tape all the time, albeit lightly.

Tunes.
Old 6th November 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

I guess some people like to commit.
Old 6th November 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
TheSweetener's Avatar
 

Yes you can. But you will always have the latency of the plugin. As far as I know, the only way to track through plugins latencyfree, is a DSP based system like Soundscape (which I use) or PT.
Old 6th November 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 

Not entirely latency free when tracking.
That's almost impossible.
I use PT and have no problems with its latency, though.

Tubes, do you want to record with the comp to save some cpu-juice ?


ruudman
Old 6th November 2005
  #7
Many folks like to use some light compression with 2 different compressors rather than heavy compression with one..

What folks are suggesting here is to guard against over compression - and to leave your options open..

Old 6th November 2005
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
tubesandteles's Avatar
 

Not necessarily to save CPU juice

I was wondering if I could track and monitor through a plugin compressor. I sing a bit too dynamically sometimes and I can't possibly get away from the mic quickly enough. Also, since I use my computer and interface live, how cool would it be to be able to use some Cher sounding autotune or some nice delay effect live?
Old 6th November 2005
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
tubesandteles's Avatar
 

I knew that

I knew the autotune one would get some sharks biting. LOL
Old 7th November 2005
  #10
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv
"For example, you could record an audio signal with a compressor plug-in already printed in the signal path, by using an insert effect on the input channel, as you would any other channel on the Mixer. And while I personally find this approach less flexible (compared to always recording a completely dry signal), I know there are many people who feel completely the opposite way.."

I wish Sonar had this functionality...
I dont know what you're meaning, but Sonar has always been able to do what you seem to describe. Perhaps you are thinking of something else.
Old 7th November 2005
  #11
Gear Head
 
THE GEEK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesandteles
how cool would it be to be able to use some Cher sounding autotune or some nice delay effect live?
Its been done all the time. Not with a PC because of latency issues, but with this
Old 7th November 2005
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
prismtheory's Avatar
 

In cubase all you have to do is put a plug in on the input channel and it will be printed to disk when you record. I've experimented with it in the past and almost every time I have regretted it.

If you were wanting to hear character on a track, such as vocals, using a hardware compressor would be a more wise choice. I think Plug-ins are great...but I think they are better used on a recorded signal as opposed to printing them to disk. Things get a bit weird. If you want, record a dry signal with a guitar, then insert a plug in onto the input channel and play the same riff and check out how weirded out the wav form gets. It really just depends on what you think sounds the best I guess.

Regards,
Christopher
Old 7th November 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
composer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory
In cubase all you have to do is put a plug in on the input channel and it will be printed to disk when you record. I've experimented with it in the past and almost every time I have regretted it.

If you were wanting to hear character on a track, such as vocals, using a hardware compressor would be a more wise choice. I think Plug-ins are great...but I think they are better used on a recorded signal as opposed to printing them to disk. Things get a bit weird. If you want, record a dry signal with a guitar, then insert a plug in onto the input channel and play the same riff and check out how weirded out the wav form gets. It really just depends on what you think sounds the best I guess.

Regards,
Christopher
Why not just place the plug-in (I use waves) in the FX sends, that way you can track and not commit!
Old 7th November 2005
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
tubesandteles's Avatar
 

No...

The whole thing, is I want to HEAR the plugin while tracking. Basically using the computer as a live effects box.
Old 7th November 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesandteles
The whole thing, is I want to HEAR the plugin while tracking. Basically using the computer as a live effects box.
Then simply place the plugin on the track you record on. Then click on that little Spaeker symbol (brown) and you will hear the plugin live but it wont be printed to tape.
You will hear the latency though. I play the Guitar Rig like this live into Cubase. Works fine for me but my latency is at 12ms. I think thats still doable.
Old 7th November 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
I dont know what you're meaning, but Sonar has always been able to do what you seem to describe. Perhaps you are thinking of something else.
I mean what is being desribed in this thread: to print a track with a plugin's processing. I know Sonar can have a plugin on a live input and you can monitor through it and all that, but the track you record is still "dry"

If you know a way to route a processed signal to the input of a track and print it without offline processing, I'm all ears.
Old 7th November 2005
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
prismtheory's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer
Why not just place the plug-in (I use waves) in the FX sends, that way you can track and not commit!
I must have misunderstood the question. I thought he meant printing the plug in processed audio in real time...which is not typically the "norm" thing to do.

werd
Old 7th November 2005
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
tubesandteles's Avatar
 

THANKS

Enjoyed the answers....
Old 7th November 2005
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
Stixxs's Avatar
 

Been doing this lately with the UAD-1 LA2A set with just -1 to-3bD of gain reduction, then later, as Jules mentioned slap on a 1176 where applicable.

Everything's a bit more present, go figure....and frees up DSP load on the card.
Old 8th November 2005
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

I suppose the arguement against such practice is the commitment factor. Some like to commit compression, but that largely stems from analog habits (limited outboard resources, maximizing signal vs. noise floor, etc.) In the box, none of this applies. You don't need to fight the noise floor in a 24 bit system, and applying a plugin on input is still post A/D so you're not really gaining anything.

The way I, and most others I believe, work is to monitor through plugins while recording, and only committing them to disk if we eventually run out of CPU resources. Even then, though, we save a copy of the original in case we change our minds later. If you print it the first time with the processing, you can't go back.
Old 8th November 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

There's no plugin compressor I know of that will keep you from overloading the converter...

How about investing in an RNC?
Old 8th November 2005
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Kingtone's Avatar
 

I use Protools HD.. so latency is less of an issue...
but if you want to record through a few different plugins...
set up an Aux input channel and apply all the plugins to that channel then route the output of that channel to the input of your audio track. Hit record.
so you can line up the audio to compensate for the latency after recording.. maybe setup a straight unprocessed channel and record raw signal onto that at the same time and then line the processed one up to it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump