The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mik Tek shootout vs. Mojave Condenser Microphones
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Mik Tek shootout vs. Mojave

so Mik Tek came down to sweetwater where I know a producer and showed they're sdc, ldc, and there tube mic at a modest price reaching 1300$...each was put up against the according Mojave mic on an acoustic gtr and vocals and the word back from the producer was that Mik Tek blew them away...

now is anyone familiar with this company? I was about to get a MA-200 but now i'm thinking of going Mik Tek...the first order is already sold out after the shootout..gonna take a month to get one..

anyone have any info on these mics??

lfranz5451
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Guru

Well....Google can't find them. LOL I've never heard of them. (not that that means anything) Ant this thread is the only mention of them on GS.

So.......

My it sounds like you know more than the rest of us. heh heh

thumbsup
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Well....Google can't find them. LOL I've never heard of them. (not that that means anything) Ant this thread is the only mention of them on GS.
...earlier GS thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ktek-mics.html

...and as found on the web:
Miktek Introduces CV4 Multipattern Tube Microphone

Nov 25, 2009 4:29 PM

New from Miktek—a company founded by industry veteran/producer/studio owner Michael Ketchel—is the CV4, a large-diaphragm, multipattern tube microphone that’s hand assembled in Nashville, Tenn. The CV4 is ideal for recording single vocalists, and perfect for acoustic instruments, groups of vocals, piano, and string and wind ensembles, as overheads on a drum kit or as ambient room mics.

The CV4 features an MK9 capsule with dual 1-inch, 4-micron-thick Mylar diaphragms with evaporated gold coating. These are precisely tensioned and mounted to carefully tuned backplates, then set back-to-back to create the final capsule. Tight tolerances and precise machining of the backplate produce a linear off-axis response that ensures the mic’s accuracy.

The CV4 head amplifier uses the Tab Funkenwerk AMI BT4 transformer, which offers a classic sound and the extended low frequency response found in the earliest versions of the most famous vintage tube mics. Together with an original NOS (new-old-stock) Telefunken EF800 tube, in which the high-voltage circuit has been uniquely implemented, the CV4 is designed to challenge the performance of top-end, industry standard mics. For enhanced control, the mic also has a switchable highpass filter and -10 dB pad for high-SPL applications.

In addition to the CV4, other new mics in the company’s line include the C5 pencil condenser (offered in matched pairs or as single mics) and the C7 dual large-diaphragm FET condenser.

The Miktek CV4 is hand-built using components from Europe, the U.S. and Asia, and is tested and packaged in Nashville. Each mic includes its serialized frequency response graph created during final testing. The CV4 comes complete with wooden storage box, aluminum case, power supply unit, 7-pin XLR cable, shock-mount and swivel mount.

For more information, visit Miktek at www.miktekaudio.com ::: Precision Microphones · Handmade in Nashville, TN USA.

Pricing from Sweetwater (read the Sweetwater employee reviews on each mic...could they be this good?):
Miktek Condenser Microphones | Sweetwater.com
Attached Images
Mik Tek shootout vs. Mojave-miktek_mics_line.web.jpg 
Old 30th March 2010
Here for the gear

Wonderful mic and pre combo

http://www.miktekaudio.com

Listened to the Miktek CV4 + their brand new MPA-201 pre when I was at NAMM several weeks ago. The combination sounded awesome, but that was just on headphones, at NAMM, etc. But the guys from Miktek were really excited about the brand new pre -- and how it sounded with their large-diapragm mic, and said that they were aiming to compete with stuff that was much more expensive.

Didn't have any other mics nearby to compare it to, so I can't say how it would compare to the Mojave. But I loved what I heard from the CV4/MPA-201 combo: smooth and silky but not overly colored.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut

it sucks to be a wise ass Dr. Bill and then find out your completely wrong.

lfranz5451

I think I might give the tube mic a shot considering it's very cheap and rom what I've heard from Sweetwater it's beautfiul. I'll let everyone know...takes a month to get.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Miktek fun

...I too heard them and NAMM and would like more time with them....
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfranz5451 View Post
I did a search with the spelling that YOU posted. No hits on GS or Google.

Thanks to the NON wise azz (hint: not you) that gave the proper spelling and links - looks interesting.

Thx. thumbsup
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear
I spoke to them ( owners) back at the NY AES and they were very nice people and the mic looked the part also..Didn't get a chance to hear it tho'..
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
Pricing from Sweetwater (read the Sweetwater employee reviews on each mic...could they be this good?):
Miktek Condenser Microphones | Sweetwater.com
Maybe yes, maybe not...

Quote:
Chris McCown
New to Sweetwater, and to the industry, MikTek microphones are the real deal. We recently did a shootout with this mic vs. several other popular mics, some of which were considerably more expensive. This mic shines on vocals and sounds amazing. Don't let the unfamiliar name intimidate you, because it won't be unfamiliar for long. Quality components, excellent quality control, and the main thing - it SOUNDS way more expensive than what its price tag says.
Yeah yeah yeah... "several other popular mics, some of which were considerably more expensive" but none of which are named. Useless.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

lfranz5451

I think I might give the tube mic a shot considering it's very cheap and rom what I've heard from Sweetwater it's beautfiul. I'll let everyone know...takes a month to get.
Now LOOK who the wise ass is....sucks doesn't itheh
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

They are just down the hall from me in the building where I have my studio. My understanding is that one of the guys formerly from Korby is working there building the mics. I can tell you that they really do hand-build the mics here in Nashville and that they are very nice people. I haven't tried the mics yet because I just mix in my studio. I hope to hear them soon.

Craig Alvin
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Just last night, I was wearing the long-sleeve T-shirt they gave me at AES last fall with the writing " Miktek Introduced at AES 2009". I hope I spelled the name correctly.

THey were really nice at their booth and I thought their mics looked like they were designed very well.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah yeah yeah... "several other popular mics, some of which were considerably more expensive" but none of which are named. Useless.
I wouldn't expect a retailer to name the microphones which are, in the subjective opinion of one (or more) of their employees, not quite as good as another microphone as they likely sell those microphones as well...but even if they did, how much more useful would that really be? Wouldn't it always be better to try the microphone out for yourself?
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Looks really interesting. Own capsule designs, variable capsule bias voltage in their FET mic. Nice to see somebody's doing something more innovative than the normal OEM re-branding and "cloning" thing.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, checked out these mics on the Sweetwater site. These mics are very enticing....I have my left leg strapped to the chair so I can't get to the phone; I hear my wife coming from the other room to take my computer away....Ouch heh
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
each was put up against the according Mojave mic on an acoustic gtr and vocals and the word back from the producer was that Mik Tek blew them away...
Is there ever a time when the producer says it doesn't blow x,y, or z away?
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauarts View Post
Is there ever a time when the producer says it doesn't blow x,y, or z away?
No, every x mic blows the y mic away. And the y blows away z and x, and other way around. And wait until Miktek buys some advertising space in magazines. Good reviews start to pop up everywhere, and you learn that now you can get Neumann sound but only fraction of the cost!
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hmmm....manufactured here in the US. This is beginning to sound very interesting.
Old 27th April 2010
Our local Miktek rep dropped off a few mics for us to try yesterday. A CV4 multi-pattern tube mic and a stereo pair of C5s. I recently purchased a Mojave MA-200 tube mic, so I took the CV4 home to shoot it out. WOW! The CV4 was a MUCH better sounding mic! I'll be buying one and selling my Mojave. I used it with a Universal Audio LA-610MKII preamp. It's a very solid, accurate sound. It has much better low end responce then the Mojave too. The Mojave is thinner and breathier in compariosn. Obviously having 9 patterns to choose from is something the Mojave can't compete with. The CV4 IS $300 more then the MA-200, but worth every penny. I hate to be coming down on the MA-200 so hard, as I do still think it is a great mic. I did buy one after all. If I had enough money to keep both, I certianly would as they are very different. But my Breedlove sure did sound nice with that CV4! When I tested vocals, I went ahead and tried every pattern the mic had to offer. They all sounded great and very different. As I'm only recording acoustic guitar and vocals in my home studio, the cardioid only pattern of the MA-200 didn't bother me at all, but I really feel like I've got so many more options now. With any luck we'll be stocking these at audioMIDI.com very soon.
Cheers,
Jace
Old 29th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomidijace View Post
Wow! That sounds more than promising! I wish I wasn't in mix mode right now. My next tracking session I'll have to try this thing out.

Dylan Seals
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomidijace View Post
Our local Miktek rep dropped off a few mics for us to try yesterday.
(As you seem to have at least some kind of connection to people at Mik Tek) Do you possibly have some additional information about the capsules? Materials, back plate design, possible inspiration (k67/47/ck12...), country of origin etc.?
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Looking forward to hearing some clips of this thing....
Old 30th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasarski View Post
(As you seem to have at least some kind of connection to people at Mik Tek) Do you possibly have some additional information about the capsules? Materials, back plate design, possible inspiration (k67/47/ck12...), country of origin etc.?
You can find all of those answers here: www.miktekaudio.com ::: Precision Microphones · Handmade in Nashville, TN USA
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

5 posts
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Nut

Miktek C7 & C5

Shannon from MikTek, just dropped off a pair of the C5 'pencil' mics as well as a C7.
I am taking the C7 home for the wknd since it looks like lots of rain both Sat & Sun. So I plan to play with this one for a while.
We had them all plugged in on the shop bench and just speaking through them and comparing the C7 with a Neumann FET47 and Neumann U87 was pretty impressive right away. While the FET47 did have a slightly rounder low end, the C7 did sound very natural. So does the C5.
Looking forward to trying them on some other stuff at home and if I get time I'll be back to fill you all in on what happened.
Take it easy!
Rolff
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Maniac

nice thread
Old 1st May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
Shannon from MikTek, just dropped off a pair of the C5 'pencil' mics as well as a C7.
I am taking the C7 home for the wknd since it looks like lots of rain both Sat & Sun. So I plan to play with this one for a while.
We had them all plugged in on the shop bench and just speaking through them and comparing the C7 with a Neumann FET47 and Neumann U87 was pretty impressive right away. While the FET47 did have a slightly rounder low end, the C7 did sound very natural. So does the C5.
Looking forward to trying them on some other stuff at home and if I get time I'll be back to fill you all in on what happened.
Take it easy!
Rolff

niSE!
Old 10th May 2010
Hey guys,
audioMIDI.com is going to be a dealer for Miktek microphones.
We should have the C5, C5MP, C7 - May 17th.
CV4's - May 31st.
Feel free to hit me up with questions.
Cheers,
Jace
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

Miktek dealer

We will also be carrying the full line at LittleFishAudio - Serious Audio Solutions!

For any questions simply PM me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search