The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mik Tek shootout vs. Mojave Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Could be your ears too...
funny
Old 3rd October 2010
Quote:
Here's a quick vocal sample from the CV4. Definitely a bigger bottom than the C7. No EQ on any of these...Processed has comp and verb...
I really liked this one more than the C7, but I get what you mean about the extra bottom getting axed in the mix. FWIW, I liked the fuller sound of this mic on you.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Back to topic, I have repeatedly compared my Mojave MA-200 to my Miktek CV4, and the Miktek continues to impress. To my ears, a smoother, richer, fuller sound. The Mojave is a pretty good mic, but I didn't know what I was missing until I got the CV4. It's not a perfect package however, as on mine at least, the very nice shock mount has bad cracks in the metal casting, which Miktek graciously replaced with an equally badly cracked one, and the hard mount is designed poorly and will not full tighten on the mic. Disturbing at this price point, but at least the mic sounds great. I wasn't thrilled with the Mojave's accessories either, but that's the China syndrome we all face, eh?
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Maniac
get the miktek: see my post re cv4 vs tcm50 mod
Old 21st October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
Shannon from MikTek, just dropped off a pair of the C5 'pencil' mics as well as a C7.
I am taking the C7 home for the wknd since it looks like lots of rain both Sat & Sun. So I plan to play with this one for a while.
Bold is mine.

I just saw this. Rolff was prophetic in his statement. Those were the dates of the Nashville flood that ruined millions of dollars worth of musical instruments as well as homes and businesses in Nashville.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Addict

We are really proud to carry these!

We have gotten better feedback on the CV4 than perhaps any mic that we offer, in terms of "bang for the buck." Definitely a richer bottom end on the CV4 then C7, which of course isn't always appropriate as that often get's pulled out in the mix (at least for me). This is especially the case on Rap/ RnB vocals these days. Should anyone like to talk shop on these, email me or PM me.
Old 21st October 2010
lmf
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here's a song I just finished...All vocals were done with the C7. So, the chain is the C7-Helios-Digi003. I took out a little 700K and rolled off the sub 60Hz a little.
I'll post some raw tracks with nothing on them in a little while...
Johnkenn,

Good sound, Johnkenn! Good singing, too!

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks, lmf.

I just got a hold of an AR-51...gonna shoot it out with the Miktek over the weekend. I sang a few harms with it and my initial impression wasn't very favorable.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

i have an AR-51 and was looking at the miktek stuff since i met the owner at sweetwaters gearfest

really leaning towards the Beezneez though

let us know john how your test goes

thanks
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear
I didn't have time to record any kind of shootout with the AR51 because in all honesty, I spent about 45 minutes with it and switched back to the CV4. To me - and YMMV - there was no competition. They're definitely not going for the same thing. The Miktek is very neutral all the way across the spectrum. The AR51 is VERY pronounced in the mids - 500-2Khz. I'm sure that's good for some, but it's exactly the frequencies that I don't need to have pronounced on my vocals. Totally made me love the Miktek all that much more. BTW - I think I'm getting the best vocals I've ever gotten with the CV4 and a Helios Type 69. This experience really made my GAS go away. I haven't tracked vocals with compression in a long time, but I'd love to have a Sta-Level in the chain to beef up the bottom a little.

BTW - I didn't think the AR51 sounded anywhere close to the 251's I've tried. YMMV.
Old 26th October 2010
try the violet Amethyst vintage..

might be your thing..

Quote:
I didn't have time to record any kind of shootout with the AR51 because in all honesty, I spent about 45 minutes with it and switched back to the CV4. To me - and YMMV - there was no competition. They're definitely not going for the same thing. The Miktek is very neutral all the way across the spectrum. The AR51 is VERY pronounced in the mids - 500-2Khz. I'm sure that's good for some, but it's exactly the frequencies that I don't need to have pronounced on my vocals. Totally made me love the Miktek all that much more. BTW - I think I'm getting the best vocals I've ever gotten with the CV4 and a Helios Type 69. This experience really made my GAS go away. I haven't tracked vocals with compression in a long time, but I'd love to have a Sta-Level in the chain to beef up the bottom a little.

BTW - I didn't think the AR51 sounded anywhere close to the 251's I've tried. YMMV.
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear
You just said that to make me crazy, didn't you...
Old 6th December 2010

I've been trying out the Miktek CV4, and count me in as the first to say that I am completely UN-impressed. Sorry. Not at all what I hoped for on vocals.

First off, the lows are fine- enjoy. The mids are weak!! Oh so weak- and that's where the money should be. And the highs have such a presence peak around 8k, that it reminds me of a cheap overseas condenser.

I was expecting Big and Rich with a nice silky, but not overly pronounced top end. Alas! Not so.

But as always, you may want to see for yourself.

Just as a point of reference, I put it up against an R-101 (the new royer), a tlm 102 (the little neumann), a vintage 414 (with original c12 capsule), a u87 and a ksm 32.

I liked the Miktek the least.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
I've been trying out the Miktek CV4, and count me in as the first to say that I am completely UN-impressed. Sorry. Not at all what I hoped for on vocals.

First off, the lows are fine- enjoy. The mids are weak!! Oh so weak- and that's where the money should be. And the highs have such a presence peak around 8k, that it reminds me of a cheap overseas condenser.

I was expecting Big and Rich with a nice silky, but not overly pronounced top end. Alas! Not so.

But as always, you may want to see for yourself.

Just as a point of reference, I put it up against an R-101 (the new royer), a tlm 102 (the little neumann), a vintage 414 (with original c12 capsule), a u87 and a ksm 32.

I liked the Miktek the least.
Man, I am so sorry to hear that it didn't work for you! Hope you can return it! Just goes to show, there's a right and a wrong mic for every voice. Hope one of those other ones did the trick for you.
Old 6th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Man, I am so sorry to hear that it didn't work for you! Hope you can return it! Just goes to show, there's a right and a wrong mic for every voice. Hope one of those other ones did the trick for you.
Thanks Ed- yep it does go to show. I thought maybe it would be helpful to post my experience, just to give some caution to others thinking about this mic- considering the inordinate amount of praise it's received. In fact, it was the lack of negative reviews that made me pull the trigger. If I would have seen mention of the very large 'presence peak' I would have never went for it.

Perhaps it just has a very modern 'think pop music' voicing, that I feel doesn't work for me. But my aesthetic runs towards a more subdued top end. Or at least a different top end than this.

That said, I think the Royer r-101 is a swell mic- pretty much the sound that I'm looking for. But the fig-8 on this mic is a tad tighter than I would prefer.

And the 102 is a gem, IMO. But it really needs a pre that has some heft- that's when it starts to make you say, 'wait a minute- this sounds pretty darn good.'

Horses for courses.....
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Ed- yep it does go to show. I thought maybe it would be helpful to post my experience, just to give some caution to others thinking about this mic- considering the inordinate amount of praise it's received. In fact, it was the lack of negative reviews that made me pull the trigger. If I would have seen mention of the very large 'presence peak' I would have never went for it.

Perhaps it just has a very modern 'think pop music' voicing, that I feel doesn't work for me. But my aesthetic runs towards a more subdued top end. Or at least a different top end than this.

That said, I think the Royer r-101 is a swell mic- pretty much the sound that I'm looking for. But the fig-8 on this mic is a tad tighter than I would prefer.

And the 102 is a gem, IMO. But it really needs a pre that has some heft- that's when it starts to make you say, 'wait a minute- this sounds pretty darn good.'

Horses for courses.....
The Miktek does have a lot of top end, no doubt about it.

I hear what you're saying about the other choices. These days I find myself resisting the urge to use a ribbon on everything.
And it seems like Neumann did their homework on that little 102. Hard to go wrong with that.
My sincere apologies again for any mistaken impressions on the Miktek.
Old 6th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
The Miktek does have a lot of top end, no doubt about it.

I hear what you're saying about the other choices. These days I find myself resisting the urge to use a ribbon on everything.
And it seems like Neumann did their homework on that little 102. Hard to go wrong with that.
My sincere apologies again for any mistaken impressions on the Miktek.
Oh man Ed, no need to apologize! I wanted to try it out. And Sweetwater has a great return policy, so no worries there.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear
Mine doesn't have a ton of top end...Certainly not like the x-formerless Neumanns and cheaper Chinese mics...Weird...Once again, the only thing that I wish was different is more bottom...
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh man Ed, no need to apologize! I wanted to try it out. And Sweetwater has a great return policy, so no worries there.
Excellent! Thanks, I am relieved to hear that.
Old 6th December 2010

Quote:
Mine doesn't have a ton of top end...Certainly not like the x-formerless Neumanns and cheaper Chinese mics...Weird...Once again, the only thing that I wish was different is more bottom...
Hmmmm....I guess I just wasn't expecting the cv4 to have as much as it does.

I'm not in the mood for posting music clips, but I've attached some VO clips. Neumann TLM 102 and Miktek CV4 - both mics on a single take, through a metric halo uln2. I didn't level match- so fee free to crank it where necessary.

Oh, and the reading is from an original radio drama that I do with kids called 'The North Fork Mountain Rangers' (I'm the narrator, and they do the dialog). It airs once a month, locally (but out here we have a huge geographic reach!).
Attached Files

VO-102-mp3.mp3 (374.9 KB, 2669 views)

VO-CV4-mp3.mp3 (374.9 KB, 2669 views)

Old 8th December 2010
Here for the gear

MikTek shootout vs. Mojave

I have the C4 tube mic, the large diaphragm FET mic, and the pencil mics.
I have not tried the large diaphragm mic.

The C4 tube is amazing. It is smoother than my U48 and has worked beautifully on vocals, acoustic guitar and as an overhead mic. Nothing harsh but a nice smooth, extended top end and a big broad low mid and bottom without muddiness. Even harsh cymbals were rendered better than I expected. I tried it through several mic pres: Avedis' MA5 1073 Neve clone, a Deane Jensen servo, and an API that with a transformerless output. The C4 smoked all of my other mics through all of these mic pres. It's something to check out.

The pencils are roughly the size of a KM84. They're more open, smoother with no cloudiness whatever and shone on an upright baby grand piano and as room mics for a very aggressive drum kit. Again, as with the C4, nothing harsh but nothing muted. Terrific clarity.

These are expensive sounding mics. If you like grunge or grit, pass on them. They are not at all clinical sounding. They are solid and musical without sounding brutally hard.

The MikTeks look expensive. In fact they look better than the Neumanns and AKGs. The shock mounts are solidly designed and easy to use. The little ones come with a Blumlein bar and they are a matched pair. The wooden boxes that are inside the aluminum carrying case are finely crafted and again, expensive looking. Give them a try if you want silky smooth clarity and a big expansive low mid and bottom on your recordings.

I will report soon on the large diaphragm FET MikTek.
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDoug View Post

The C4 tube is amazing. It is smoother than my U48 and has worked beautifully on vocals, acoustic guitar and as an overhead mic. Nothing harsh but a nice smooth, extended top end and a big broad low mid and bottom without muddiness. Even harsh cymbals were rendered better than I expected. I tried it through several mic pres: Avedis' MA5 1073 Neve clone, a Deane Jensen servo, and an API that with a transformerless output. The C4 smoked all of my other mics through all of these mic pres. It's something to check out.

The pencils are roughly the size of a KM84. They're more open, smoother with no cloudiness whatever and shone on an upright baby grand piano and as room mics for a very aggressive drum kit. Again, as with the C4, nothing harsh but nothing muted. Terrific clarity.

These are expensive sounding mics. If you like grunge or grit, pass on them. They are not at all clinical sounding. They are solid and musical without sounding brutally hard.

The MikTeks look expensive. In fact they look better than the Neumanns and AKGs. The shock mounts are solidly designed and easy to use. The little ones come with a Blumlein bar and they are a matched pair. The wooden boxes that are inside the aluminum carrying case are finely crafted and again, expensive looking. Give them a try if you want silky smooth clarity and a big expansive low mid and bottom on your recordings.

I will report soon on the large diaphragm FET MikTek.
Goes to show- everybody walks away with a different opinion. Mine was that the CV4 does certainly have an extended top end, but I found it to be not so silky. And the weak mids, I suppose, are a matter of taste.

Build quality is fine (nothing outstanding, and yes, the mic box is pretty), but I thought the microphone grill was a tad on the cheap side.

Not trying to burst the Miktek love bubble (everybody's got to make a living), but reality is, that this mic was not my cup of tea. It may, or may not be yours- that is for YOU to say.

That said, I'm always a little suspect of over adulation for any product. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Old 9th December 2010
Here for the gear

Miktek shootouts

Of course we should all bear in mind that everybody is listening through different mic pres, different summing busses, in different rooms with different acoustics, and with different speakers in those different rooms. The sources are all different too.

Ultimately, it depends on what you like to hear and what you have learned over the course of x years.
Old 9th December 2010

Quote:
Of course we should all bear in mind that everybody is listening through different mic pres, different summing busses, in different rooms with different acoustics, and with different speakers in those different rooms. The sources are all different too.

Ultimately, it depends on what you like to hear and what you have learned over the course of x years.
Well, then why bother saying that one mic smoked another? I always think in terms of what I prefer, and whenever someone says one mic killed another, red flags go up. It's just not the way I look at audio tools.

I had a u87, a 414eb and the tlm 102 in the same room, on the same source, through the same very clean pre, and liked the Miktek the least- too little girth, too wispy for my tastes. It didn't get smoked, or killed. It just wasn't my favorite.

Anyhow, over adulation is always a dangerous path- either something will live up to the hype, or not. And in this case, for me, the CV4 did not.

So, that makes me doubt even more that I'd prefer their sdc to the km84 (which I like very much).
Old 9th December 2010
that's why shootouts are pretty much pointless.

but now we will get killed by the crowd.

Quote:
Well, then why bother saying that one mic smoked another? I always think in terms of what I prefer, and whenever someone says one mic killed another, red flags go up. It's just not the way I look at audio tools.

I had a u87, a 414eb and the tlm 102 in the same room, on the same source, through the same very clean pre, and liked the Miktek the least- too little girth, too wispy for my tastes. It didn't get smoked, or killed. It just wasn't my favorite.

Anyhow, over adulation is always a dangerous path- either something will live up to the hype, or not. And in this case, for me, the CV4 did not.

So, that makes me doubt even more that I'd prefer their sdc to the km84 (which I like very much).
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly, this post is a reminder that there is a of of subjectivity in audio. I agree that certain "sounds" appeal to some of us, and not to others, and vice versa. Just as a personal example, I like the "Sennheiser sound", but I'm not a huge fan of the "Shure" sound. I happen to also like the "Miktek" sound, very much, but that's not to say it's right for everybody, or better or worse than something else. Then there is the fact that there are definitely "good matches" between mic and source, and bad ones as well. Although that is subjective too.
Old 10th December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Did you buy all of these microphones?

I know this is your first post on Gearslutz, but not many people buy the entire range of mics from a single mic manufacturer.

I'd love to hear the small mic vs your KM84. I offered to compare my personal pair when MikTek had the small mics here, but suddenly they ran out of time to give a listen and compare.

Please share clips!

War
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah - definitely a keeper - but every mic that touches my hands is always on alert. heh
FS: Miktek CV4 heh
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Told you...heh

It's not like I'm hiding it...I've got my eye on a specific Santa Cruz D/PW and I need some capital. I know I can always get another CV4 and it will sound exactly the same...that's not the case with acoustics. When you find a special one, you gotta snatch it up. I love the mic - if it doesn't sell, it certainly won't hurt my feelings. I felt very similarly with the Korby Blue I had (except it's probably over-priced). I loved it, but I wanted something else...and selling that led me to the CV4 which I love just as much...
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neumann TLM 102 and Miktek CV4 - both mics on a single take
Sounds like a cool show. Both takes are great. I like the CV4 even better.
There is a 'larger than life' quality to that. Almost three dimensional. Nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search