The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mik Tek shootout vs. Mojave Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd September 2010
  #91
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Nice! looking forward to it.
Old 4th September 2010
  #92
Lives for gear
Just my initial observations with the CV4...Very similar to the C7 - richer in tone, bigger on the bottom - a little punchier in low mids and rounder on top - but they are definitely close brothers...These mics definitely have the 1-4khz without squawking. I'd love to have a 2247LE or P67 to shoot out with it right now. I've had 2247LE's and from what I remember, they were more pronounced on the bottom, less pronounced in the mids and way more top end than the CV4. I would say the Miktek's are definitely more neutral with emphasis on not hyping the top end - and I consider that a good thing. The "Sinatra Bottom" sounds fantastic by itself, but it never ended up appearing in the final mix of any actual songs for me...I was always rolling it off. BTW - the CV4 doesn't lack any bottom - just translates it truthfully.

I think it's silly to say something like "it owns this price-range" like I read from the Sweetwater site. I've used/owned a number of great mics around or below this pricerange from the Bluebird to the KSM44 to the Tele AK47 to a Peluso 2247LE...They all sounded different. (And they are all Chinese capsules I'm pretty sure) And they all were good at different things...but this is an awesome mic and priced really well. More 67 than 47. More Foy Vance than Sinatra...(Look it up)

Hey - even if it is some old dude in China tuning the capsules, he's doing a good job

I'll try and post some when I get motivated...
Old 4th September 2010
  #93
Gear Addict
 

Is it a keeper mic for you? I just got mine yesterday but because of the holiday plans I won't have time to test it out. I'll post my findings next week. I have to say that just the package and the mic look and feel are very impressive at this price. You really get a lot for the money.

Gary
Old 4th September 2010
  #94
Lives for gear
Yeah - definitely a keeper - but every mic that touches my hands is always on alert. heh
Old 4th September 2010
  #95
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Come on John let me hear it. heh
Old 4th September 2010
  #96
Lives for gear
It's the first weekend for college football...bare with me...
Old 4th September 2010
  #97
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I've used/owned a number of great mics around or below this pricerange from the Bluebird to the KSM44 to the Tele AK47 to a Peluso 2247LE...They all sounded different. (And they are all Chinese capsules I'm pretty sure)
Just to clarify:

Bluebird (and Bottle Cap B8 capsule, Baby Bottle): Chinese 100%, others are USA
Peluso 2247LE/SE: Backplate machined in China, otherwise built in USA (all Peluso caps done like this to my knowledge)

Those are the two I can clarify anyhow! I don't know about those other two.

War
Old 4th September 2010
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
No samples yet? I hate hearing about a mic and not knowing how it sounds .
And how does it compare to mics like the U 48 and U 67 as demo'd here (recorded in an iconic Hollywood studio with gold & platinum vocal talent).
Old 4th September 2010
  #99
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

This was one of the easier blind shootouts to figure out that I've tried. The MJ mic was the easiest for me because as I've commented on before (and given big props on) I found the Oktava 319 that he modded to be an exceptional mic. It's lack of sibilance is what makes it easy to spot and what I really like about this mic. I hope to get my own in the near future
Old 6th September 2010
  #100
Lives for gear
Here's a quick vocal sample from the CV4. Definitely a bigger bottom than the C7. No EQ on any of these...Processed has comp and verb...
Attached Files

CV4voxraw.mp3 (524.0 KB, 2273 views)

CV4voxprocessed.mp3 (524.0 KB, 1999 views)

Old 6th September 2010
  #101
Lives for gear
And acoustic unprocessed...
Attached Files

CV4acousticraw.mp3 (869.4 KB, 1650 views)

Old 6th September 2010
  #102
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Here's a quick vocal sample from the CV4. Definitely a bigger bottom than the C7. No EQ on any of these...Processed has comp and verb...

That sounds really good! Thanks for posting John.
Old 6th September 2010
  #103
Here for the gear
 
ChadMault's Avatar
 

Nice!!

Sounds good to me! John what did you use to compress and verb the vox??? I have the cv-4 but she don't sound like that. Night and day from raw to processed. Thanks!
Old 6th September 2010
  #104
Lives for gear
Hey Chad -
There's no magic in the compressing and verbing, my friend...The second one is a ton louder, so that could account for it sounding like "night and day"...I used a CLA 1176 with fast attack and release then a CLA LA2A. That's pretty much my go-to for vocal compression. Haven't used the UAD 76/2A in a while. The CLA2A really adds a little thickness - just like it's supposed to. The verb was UAD EMT 140.

I put the processed file in because raw files are just that - raw...Hard to judge it that way. I'm really digging this mic - really looking forward to using it everyday for a while...Then I'll have more to say...
Old 6th September 2010
  #105
Here for the gear
 
ChadMault's Avatar
 

Between the two I can hear more low end and to my ears sounds more open, most likely the verb, regardless of the disparity in volume. Two compressors on the vox?? Nice. Great post and demo. Thank you.
Old 6th September 2010
  #106
Gear Addict
 

My first impression is that this is a very nice mic. However, the polar Pattern really matters. My first test was with straight up, I think that is a hiper cardioid and was ok. Next I backed it off one notch to the left and that was a whole lot better to me. I compared it to a C414-TLII mic both going through a Avalon VT-737-SP mic pre NO EQ, No Comp. The CV4 was similar but a bit "softer" to my ears. Not WAY better than the 414 but in that ball park with a slightly different character.

I didn't like when you open the manual you see a big "PRINTED IN CHINA" stamp. Why? It has nothing to do with the sound of the mic but I didn't like that at all.

Still testing.

Gary
Old 7th September 2010
  #107
Here for the gear
 
ChadMault's Avatar
 

akg vs miktek

Gary post up some clips if your able so I can hear and make my own subjective opinion between the akg 414 and the miktek cv-4. It would be most appreciated.
Old 7th September 2010
  #108
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
This was one of the easier blind shootouts to figure out that I've tried. The MJ mic was the easiest for me because as I've commented on before (and given big props on) I found the Oktava 319 that he modded to be an exceptional mic. It's lack of sibilance is what makes it easy to spot and what I really like about this mic. I hope to get my own in the near future
Selling an Oktava 319, just purchased, the sound is not for me, $165 shipped.
PM if interested.
Old 7th September 2010
  #109
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
I am really impressed with the sound of the CV4. I also really like the multi-pattern feature, which gives very useable changes in tonality as well.
One question: doesn't the chrome band at the top of the headbasket seem like it obscures part of the capsule? I'm no mic designer, maybe there is a good reason they did this, but it just seems odd.

Last edited by edva; 7th September 2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: "top"
Old 7th September 2010
  #110
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
One question: doesn't the chrome band at the top of the headbasket seem like it obscures part of the capsule? I'm no mic designer, maybe there is a good reason they did this, but it just seems odd.
Go hunt down a picture of a U47.... heh

Question answered.
Old 7th September 2010
  #111
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Go hunt down a picture of a U47.... heh

Question answered.
Thanks, I did and it made me feel better about it. I was not aware of all the variants of the U47! Wow, the Miktek CV4 looks very similar to one model in particular!
I had only seen the older(?), stubbier-looking U47, and the basket ring over the capsule did not seem so prominent.
Still, I don't understand how this feature can be a good thing sound-wise.
Old 7th September 2010
  #112
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Still, I don't understand how this feature can be a good thing sound-wise.
There are many pieces of "holy grail" audio gear that could not possibly be considered "good" or "the best we could do" by current standards, yet they have a persona and "vibe" that's loved and cherished. I'm not saying the U47 is one of those, but a lot of times we choose gear or mics or consoles or tape machines that would be considered "degrading" to the sound by an audiophile - just because we like the sound or vibe - not because it's the best sonically.

Whether the band was a conscious design effort, or serendipity, I don't know, but it is what it is, and it's been copied by many. The Mik Tek is a case in point.

In reference to "old designs" being "better", Rupert Neve has stated that he would not design the 10xx series pre/EQ's the same way he did back in the day if he was doing it from scratch now. He feels his current version in the current Neve console they are now selling are much better. But that doesn't stop the vintage neve pre/EQ madness.

Ask ANY GS if they would rather own a 1073/84 or current Neve pre, and I'd hazard to guess that 98% would want the old one.

It's vintage mania at it's best. thumbsupheh
Old 7th September 2010
  #113
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMault View Post
Gary post up some clips if your able so I can hear and make my own subjective opinion between the akg 414 and the miktek cv-4. It would be most appreciated.
I'll post some examples but I have to make them up. I can't post what I recorded because of copyright. I do a couple of standard tests but everything is subjective with a mic. So many factors go into it. TO me, the only real test of a mic is to try it in your own recording environment. Buy it from a dealer where if it is not for you - return it. This is really a nice mic. Is it a vintage U67? No. But it is not 10 or 20 grand either.

I'll post a couple of tests using the mic. Just give me a couple of days.

Gary
Old 7th September 2010
  #114
Gear Addict
 

One question about this mic. This mic has a NOS tube. How difficult will it be to get a replacement tube somewhere down the road? Seems like that is going to be a factor.

Gary
Old 9th September 2010
  #115
Gear Addict
 

Here are 3 test files of just keys.

CV4, C414, SM81 all through Avalon VT-737-SP No EQ no Comp into Rosetta 200. Recorded at 0db gain and output. No changes. I left them at WAV files. Hope this is ok. If not, I can post in MP3.
Attached Files

C414-Keys.wav (3.12 MB, 1084 views)

CV4-Keys.wav (3.12 MB, 999 views)

SM81-Keys.wav (3.12 MB, 696 views)

Old 9th September 2010
  #116
Lives for gear
Cla 1176-la2a

[QUOTE=Johnkenn;5758690]Hey Chad -
There's no magic in the compressing and verbing, my friend...The second one is a ton louder, so that could account for it sounding like "night and day"...I used a CLA 1176 with fast attack and release then a CLA LA2A. That's pretty much my go-to for vocal compression. Haven't used the UAD 76/2A in a while. The CLA2A really adds a little thickness - just like it's supposed to. The verb was UAD EMT 140.



Hey John, are you using the LA2A in compress mode or limit? 60Hz?

Also when you say fast attack and release on the 1176 are you talking like 2msec? I assume you're using 4:1?

Thanks
Old 9th September 2010
  #117
Gear Addict
 

Here are 3 guitar tracks. Same mics. Same setup as before. All WAV at 44.1 24bit

The CV4 is louder because it has a higher output. All are recorded at about the same distance from the 12 fret about 6 in or so.
Attached Files

SM81-Gutar.wav (2.80 MB, 857 views)

C414-Guitar.wav (2.80 MB, 943 views)

CV4-Guitar.wav (2.80 MB, 1128 views)


Last edited by garymusic; 9th September 2010 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: Add comment
Old 9th September 2010
  #118
Here for the gear
 
ChadMault's Avatar
 

You da man gary!! thanks
Old 9th September 2010
  #119
Gear Addict
 

Thanks... I'd put some vocals up but I am stuffed up with a head cold. Sound like crap. I decided to keep the CV4. I don't know of another mic in this price range that is going to be better. I have tried

Neumann U87ai (new)
Neumann TLM-67
Bock 195
Mojave M-200

I like the CV4 better than all of these. The 9 polar patterns give you lots variations. Does it live up the hype? Its just a really nice mic for the price.

Gary
Old 9th September 2010
  #120
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Thanks Gary for all the efforts, hope you get better, looking forward to the vocal snippets.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
laboso / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
27
zenguan88 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
15
Black Animal / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
11
BOO BLADES / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
45

Forum Jump
Forum Jump