The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do The Seasons Affect Your Creativity?? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd April 2010
  #151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
And those vibrations are at the heart of the matter (string theory?).
...and at the heart of "Matter", perhaps?

you're a wise man, Uncle!
Old 2nd April 2010
  #152
Gear Addict
 
OldSkool's Avatar
 

ianbryn11 and robertshaw, I thank you for those kind words. I am not here to convert anyone, but I want to point out in passing that the ancients were ignorant savages. The Aztecs used to slice off the skins of a young lad and maiden and dance around in them to celebrate the Spring. The Babylonians sacrificed little children to their gods - one of the main reasons the Jews so loathed them. Ancient is not better, and it's not even good. Try to imagine such atrocities being performed on someone you love, and you'll realize how far we've come - and yes, how far we still have to go.

nick-the sax - I am not only an Aries, I am an Aries with Scorpio rising, and Pluto in the tenth house. I wasn't just born under the sign of the god of war: I am the god of war.

Just kidding. Both Sri Aurobindo and Paramhansa Yogananda were Pluto-tenth house guys, and they seem pretty nice.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #153
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
ianbryn11 and robertshaw, I thank you for those kind words. I am not here to convert anyone, but I want to point out in passing that the ancients were ignorant savages. The Aztecs used to slice off the skins of a young lad and maiden and dance around in them to celebrate the Spring. The Babylonians sacrificed little children to their gods - one of the main reasons the Jews so loathed them. Ancient is not better, and it's not even good. Try to imagine such atrocities being performed on someone you love, and you'll realize how far we've come - and yes, how far we still have to go.

nick-the sax - I am not only an Aries, I am an Aries with Scorpio rising, and Pluto in the tenth house. I wasn't just born under the sign of the god of war: I am the god of war.

Just kidding. Both Sri Aurobindo and Paramhansa Yogananda were Pluto-tenth house guys, and they seem pretty nice.
dude, i totally agree with keeping to the times and progressing, in that sense, i'm totally with you.

however, the fact i managed to guess you were an Aries by the method in which you were arguing your point (a bit thrown as you were almost arguing both sides, as a Libra does, but makes sense now) does surely give the idea of a Sun Sign some credibility..?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

My little boy has more sense than to believe in this stuff; it is only through deliberate self-exposure to fringe beliefs - which I want to clarify here as submission to other people's definition of reality, since obviously neither you nor any other believer in astrology came up with it yourself - or childhood indoctrination that any sane person could possibly believe in such stuff. Again: you have allowed another person or group of persons to define your worldview. Among human beings, this is obviously as common as heart disease, with equally deleterious consequences as seen in countless historical examples from the Aztecs to the Reverend Jim Jones.


Peace, love, and freedom from illusion,
OldSkool.
i totally agree with what you're saying. i refuse to go with a popular belief, with nothing but blind faith - it's an insult to the idea of spirituality and yourself! IMO, the whole subject (spirituality at large) is very much inward and one should find their own way of expressing, considering and experiencing it. a great example is John Coltrane.

religion was never really impressed upon me and as a result i have a very liberal and open view of it. and it's the same with astrology / numerology: it's something that i've been discovering for myself, and i feel enriched because of it. if someone tells me that something is a certain way "because it is", then i won't believe it until i've found out for myself. anything i support, i'll only do so after having seen both sides of the coin; until then, i prefer to stay on the fence!

OldSkool, your points are absolutely valid, 100% (although that definitely that does not negate other points of view) - in a world of imposed illusion and manipulation, it's great to see people with such solid foundations for truth
Old 2nd April 2010
  #155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax View Post
for example...

Dark Matter: no one knows what exactly it is, but it is an "entity" that was fabricated by physicists to fill in the gaps - solar systems were not moving as they were *expected* to, so Dark Matter is this convenient element introduced into equations so that the numbers add up.

perhaps our equations and theorems are only partially right, and what we are looking for cannot be proven or discovered with physics as WE know it?
This is the other great failure of critical thinking in the public at large. It's constantly invoked. It's the old 'we don't know everything, therefore anything is possible'. There is no logical connection between 'we don't know everything' and 'therefore astrology might be true'. The latter isn't just something that might be true. It's something that is trivially disproveable. So it is not in the same category as the great unknowns.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #156
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
ianbryn11 and robertshaw, I thank you for those kind words. I am not here to convert anyone, but I want to point out in passing that the ancients were ignorant savages. The Aztecs used to slice off the skins of a young lad and maiden and dance around in them to celebrate the Spring. The Babylonians sacrificed little children to their gods - one of the main reasons the Jews so loathed them. Ancient is not better, and it's not even good. Try to imagine such atrocities being performed on someone you love, and you'll realize how far we've come - and yes, how far we still have to go.
I think it may be a gross generalization to put down all ancient beliefs based on the actions of a few....

Some groups of people back then may have done some barbaric things, but i have not come into contact with anything encouraging me to do so in my readings.... And i think that part of studying ancient texts is keeping in mind that we live in a different world today.. Male female roles are drastically different than they used to be as well as family and govermental heirarchies....

That being said, i feel that there are many parallels to our world today which can still be reflected upon.... And in some ways, i feel that we are far more destructive now a days than we have ever been throughout human history...

Lets talk about dropping a nuclear bomb on an innocent City... The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not directly attack us... Their government did.. And we nuked the **** out of them... Innocent people and all... Not to mention the attrocities which are going on in Iraq right now...

So, again, i think that discounting All beliefs of a certain time period based on the acts of a few is not really fair...
Old 2nd April 2010
  #157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
That being said, i feel that there are many parallels to our world today which can still be reflected upon.... And in some ways, i feel that we are far more destructive now a days than we have ever been throughout human history...

Lets talk about dropping a nuclear bomb on an innocent City... The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not directly attack us... Their government did.. And we nuked the **** out of them... Innocent people and all... Not to mention the attrocities which are going on in Iraq right now...

So, again, i think that discounting All beliefs of a certain time period based on the acts of a few is not really fair...
This is not true. The world today is safer and more humane than it ever has been. It's just that, when violence does break out, we have way more powerful weapons, so the damage in that area of violence can be more intense. But, overall, it's nothing compared to the past.

Clearly the nuclear bomb was a very brutal act, and I believe it was not necessary (compared to giving them a demonstration near but not on a heavily populated area.) Once we had the bomb, it was over, one way or another, and it didn't need to be used. However, vastly more people were killed 'the old fashioned' way during WWII. It just took more effort. The conventional bombing runs on Japan killed massive numbers of people via firestorm, and in Europe as well. Tens of millions of people were killed by 'conventional means' in WWII, something that would be completely incomprehensible today.

But, if you need proof that the world is a far more sane place today, consider why no more uses of the bomb have occured. In any other time of history, a weapon that was so much more powerful than those generally available would have very likely be used to completely subjugate everyone else within reach of the owners, without any real worries about the humanity of it. For that matter, had Germany managed to get there first (not really a danger we now know in restrospect), I imagine that Duh Fuhrer wouldn't have hesitated to use it in such a way.

And if you compare how WWI happened to the situation today, it's just not even remotely the same world. There was no disenting voice really. It was joyously entered into almost, and there was no hesitation about using horrible chemical weapons, by both sides, the use of which would bring down massive condemnation today.

Anyway, if you have any real understanding of the past, it would be very difficult to argue that it was better back then, on either the large or small scale.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #158
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
This is not true. The world today is safer and more humane than it ever has been. It's just that, when violence does break out, we have way more powerful weapons, so the damage in that area of violence can be more intense. But, overall, it's nothing compared to the past.

Clearly the nuclear bomb was a very brutal act, and I believe it was not necessary (compared to giving them a demonstration near but not on a heavily populated area.) Once we had the bomb, it was over, one way or another, and it didn't need to be used. However, vastly more people were killed 'the old fashioned' way during WWII. It just took more effort. The conventional bombing runs on Japan killed massive numbers of people via firestorm, and in Europe as well. Tens of millions of people were killed by 'conventional means' in WWII, something that would be completely incomprehensible today.

But, if you need proof that the world is a far more sane place today, consider why no more uses of the bomb have occured. In any other time of history, a weapon that was so much more powerful than those generally available would have very likely be used to completely subjugate everyone else within reach of the owners, without any real worries about the humanity of it. For that matter, had Germany managed to get there first (not really a danger we now know in restrospect), I imagine that Duh Fuhrer wouldn't have hesitated to use it in such a way.

And if you compare how WWI happened to the situation today, it's just not even remotely the same world. There was no disenting voice really. It was joyously entered into almost, and there was no hesitation about using horrible chemical weapons, by both sides, the use of which would bring down massive condemnation today.

Anyway, if you have any real understanding of the past, it would be very difficult to argue that it was better back then, on either the large or small scale.
Dean, if you read my post, i think youll realize that i did not say it was "better" or "safer" back then.....

I said that we are far more destructive today than we have ever been... And to discount All the beliefs of an entire time period based on a few examples of bruatality is not really valid....
Old 2nd April 2010
  #159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
Dean, if you read my post, i think youll realize that i did not say it was "better" or "safer" back then.....

I said that we are far more destructive today than we have ever been...
That's what I was responding to. We aren't more destructive today. We are far less so than any other time in history. You could only think otherwise if you don't really know much about the past, IMO. It was not long ago at all that it was pretty much a matter of might makes right and that was that. These days that's no longer true. And, despite the anti-business vibe that exists today, I think that it's very largely in part to business that this is the case. You can't do good business without political stability, so there is powerful pressure to maintain stability, even to the point where it can prevent taking military action when that would be the humanitarian thing to do. The more people in the world who benefit from that vastly increased business environment, and therefore have something to lose if it is disrupted, the greater that pressure becomes.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #160
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
I am not only an Aries, I am an Aries with Scorpio rising, and Pluto in the tenth house. I wasn't just born under the sign of the god of war: I am the god of war.

Just kidding. Both Sri Aurobindo and Paramhansa Yogananda were Pluto-tenth house guys, and they seem pretty nice.
In many ways actually you are a god of war by your own perception and by your own astrology. The ultimate rebel. This country is perfect for you in that way because the U.S. has a 10th house Pluto. We were destined to rebel against the Brit's. Power and status are important. Nixon was a 10th house Pluto too, he believed his "ends justified the means" so to speak. So mostly you make sure you're in control of your situation or environment rather than having it the other way around. It's made you a total rebel your whole life. A manipulator of the system. For instance, you may never have survived in a place like Saudi Arabia, LOL. But all this makes you really ambitious, which is cool.

At the same time you've developed discipline, self-determination and probably struggled against "higher authority" because it's been so important to assert your own individuality. That's hard to do sometimes within a structured society, group, family, or institutional culture.

You totally have keen defense systems combined with the natural ability to penetrate deep into the structural meaning of any subject. A trait of Pluto, but especially in the 10th house.

This isn't "astrology on a stick", it's real stuff. It also explains a little about your disdain for ancient cultures and religion. You're smart Oldskool and can figure out along the way how to gain status and accomplish your goals within the framework of pretty much any social or cultural environment.

Sorry, I got carried away there. There's so much more to a 10th house Pluto so I have to stop. BTW, Paramahansa Yogananda...yeah, massively amazing person.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #161
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
That's what I was responding to. We aren't more destructive today. We are far less so than any other time in history. You could only think otherwise if you don't really know much about the past, IMO. It was not long ago at all that it was pretty much a matter of might makes right and that was that. These days that's no longer true. And, despite the anti-business vibe that exists today, I think that it's very largely in part to business that this is the case. You can't do good business without political stability, so there is powerful pressure to maintain stability, even to the point where it can prevent taking military action when that would be the humanitarian thing to do. The more people in the world who benefit from that vastly increased business environment, and therefore have something to lose if it is disrupted, the greater that pressure becomes.
Dean, i was not only refering to the drestruction of human life, but i was refering to the destruction of the planet earth as well... To its natural resources, and its natural wonders... Industrialization has damaged our home... Hopefully in a way that is not irreversable...

ANd i think that looking though history, sure, we have progressed in many ways... But in many ways we are still a destructive force... ANd we have more power to destroy than we ever did before.. Which in my opinion requires more responsibility... And i still feel that to discount ALL the beliefs of an entire time period based on generalizations about other people from that time, or other times long ago is not valid.. but thats my opinion.. Your welcome to yours...
Old 2nd April 2010
  #162
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Spring is finally here in New Jersey.......

And I'll be damned if I'm not feeling a serious spurt of creativity welling up from within right now!

Got the house to myself. I think I'll fire up a couple of amps and plug in the SG....see if I can get those strings vibrating big time.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #163
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
If you were to cavas them systematically, you would find out that they have absolutely no statistically significant differences from people born on any other day.
You are wrong IMNSHO. Again, I refer you to The Secret Language of Birthdays.

I am married to a woman who is accident prone, moreso than anyone I have ever known. I've spent 7yrs watching her bump into things, break things, spill food on her blouse with the regularity of a small child, spill red wine on the carpet repeatedly, spill boiling hot soup into her lap (repeatedly), severely damage her knee trying to reach raspberries, total my (just paid off) truck - and - most spectacularly - survive a jump from a plane when her parachute failed (the fall was broken by a grove of tall trees).

Why is she accident prone? Well, when she pours soup & wine she always fills it to the rim, so it inevitably spills. When she walks she doesn't look where she's going at all times so she bumps into things, sometimes breaking them. She tailgates when she drives. And she packed her own parachute after a few rounds of margaritas.

It's not like the hand of god is pushing her to do this stuff. For some reason, it's innate. She naturally skips over some details that most of us don't and because of that she's accident prone.

Consult The Secret Language of Birthdays for her birthday, November 15th (under health): "Prone to accidents"

Dean, someone may live their whole life not listening to songs of birds overhead. It doesn't mean the birds are not there. It means they've missed that aspect of life. Some of this **** is subtle. You can't mail out a census for this. You've got to know the people very well. Good astrology requires a level of paying attention and putting peices together. Good astrology can prove that certain traits repeat themselves.

And to prove it get yourself a copy of Sexstrology, use the specific techniques it recommends for your partner's zodiac type and see what happens. Nothing to loose, maybe something to gain
Old 2nd April 2010
  #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
You are wrong IMNSHO. Again, I refer you to The Secret Language of Birthdays.

I am married to a woman who is accident prone, moreso than anyone I have ever known. I've spent 7yrs watching her bump into things, break things, spill food on her blouse with the regularity of a small child, spill red wine on the carpet repeatedly, spill boiling hot soup into her lap (repeatedly), severely damage her knee trying to reach raspberries, total my (just paid off) truck - and - most spectacularly - survive a jump from a plane when her parachute failed (the fall was broken by a grove of tall trees).

Why is she accident prone? Well, when she pours soup & wine she always fills it to the rim, so it inevitably spills. When she walks she doesn't look where she's going at all times so she bumps into things, sometimes breaking them. She tailgates when she drives. And she packed her own parachute after a few rounds of margaritas.

It's not like the hand of god is pushing her to do this stuff. For some reason, it's innate. She naturally skips over some details that most of us don't and because of that she's accident prone.

Consult The Secret Language of Birthdays for her birthday, November 15th (under health): "Prone to accidents"

Dean, someone may live their whole life not listening to songs of birds overhead. It doesn't mean the birds are not there. It means they've missed that aspect of life. Some of this **** is subtle. You can't mail out a census for this. You've got to know the people very well. Good astrology requires a level of paying attention and putting peices together. Good astrology can prove that certain traits repeat themselves.

And to prove it get yourself a copy of Sexstrology, use the specific techniques it recommends for your partner's zodiac type and see what happens. Nothing to loose, maybe something to gain
LOTS of people are clumsy. Some of them are born on Nov 15th, the bulk of them aren't. There is NO statistical significance of birth date and characterstics, period. It's just complete silliness.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #165
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenTobias View Post
The question I am putting out there is:

Do you find you are more creative and productive at certain times of the year than other??

I, for example, seem to find that elusive 'mojo' with much more ease in the winter months than the summer.

Does it depend on the type of music you make?
Are there any scientific studies that have researched how seasonal influences affect creative output?

What seasons do it for you and have you any idea why?

With the summer on its way is more music going to be made?

Reuben
Im not sure about the seasons rulin over my creativity, however its true that im a lot better and creative doing things in the night rather than in the day
Old 2nd April 2010
  #166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
In many ways actually you are a god of war by your own perception and by your own astrology. The ultimate rebel. This country is perfect for you in that way because the U.S. has a 10th house Pluto. We were destined to rebel against the Brit's. Power and status are important. Nixon was a 10th house Pluto too, he believed his "ends justified the means" so to speak. So mostly you make sure you're in control of your situation or environment rather than having it the other way around. It's made you a total rebel your whole life. A manipulator of the system. For instance, you may never have survived in a place like Saudi Arabia, LOL. But all this makes you really ambitious, which is cool.

At the same time you've developed discipline, self-determination and probably struggled against "higher authority" because it's been so important to assert your own individuality. That's hard to do sometimes within a structured society, group, family, or institutional culture.

You totally have keen defense systems combined with the natural ability to penetrate deep into the structural meaning of any subject. A trait of Pluto, but especially in the 10th house.

This isn't "astrology on a stick", it's real stuff. It also explains a little about your disdain for ancient cultures and religion. You're smart Oldskool and can figure out along the way how to gain status and accomplish your goals within the framework of pretty much any social or cultural environment.

Sorry, I got carried away there. There's so much more to a 10th house Pluto so I have to stop. BTW, Paramahansa Yogananda...yeah, massively amazing person.
wow. seriously. really interesting and insightful. i have half a mind to give you my birth details so you can tell me something. ha!!!

Astrology on a sick..? i like the term, but it certainly isn't. i'd like to believe that there is a reason behind why i guessed Aries. also how ALL the people i know who are in "steady" jobs (doctor, finance, etc) are either Taurus or Cancer. the Cancerians have more of an entrepeneurial approach to their careers.

and yes apologies from me too. i get carried away a bit as well. ah well
Old 2nd April 2010
  #167
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
LOTS of people are clumsy. Some of them are born on Nov 15th, the bulk of them aren't. There is NO statistical significance of birth date and characterstics, period. It's just complete silliness.
So Dean, I gather by the way you use the term 'clumsy' rather than my quote, "accident prone," you're on this thread to push your agenda, rather than have thoughtful discourse over a cup of tea.

I lower myself to your level for the sake of your understanding: Dean, your personal belief system, which requires your personal version of statistical significance, is not only clumsy, but also completely silly. And it smells like cat urine.

Your turn.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #168
Lives for gear
I wonder.... ? Does creativity affect the seasons??

Just think if scientists were not creative and had never invented the combustion engine or power plants, fossil fuel burning would not cause enhanced green house effect as a result. Also had they not invented CFC based products, ozone depletion may not be happening if it actually is. What about the creative of the chain saw? and the bulldozer? tearing down the rain forests. Does all this climate change affect the seasons? hmmmmm. So in inadvertently, creativity affects the seasons and the seasons affect creativity.

Now that is really weird. I'm totally freaked out right now. Does this mean Darwin was right too? Seasons affect the creation of new species due to adaptation? This thread has ruined my life. It's all I'm going to think about now. Natural selection, and selection naturally. Seasons changing and changing seasons. What about creation?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #169
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Im not sure about the seasons rulin over my creativity, however its true that im a lot better and creative doing things in the night rather than in the day
Could be because the thickest layer in the ionosphere disappears at night allowing an easier flow of resonance energies. Ionospheric interference complicates or distorts what?..communication. What is music if not a form of communication. What is music if it's not vibration? Thoughts themselves are nothing less than vibrations that can be measured in terms of electromagnetic wavelength since they're electrical in nature. How many times have we heard the phrase "we seem to be on the same wavelength"? Anyway...
Old 2nd April 2010
  #170
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Could be because the thickest layer in the ionosphere disappears at night allowing an easier flow of resonance energies. Ionospheric interference complicates or distorts what?..communication. What is music if not a form of communication. What is music if it's not vibration? Thoughts themselves are nothing less than vibrations that can be measured in terms of electromagnetic wavelength since they're electrical in nature. How many times have we heard the phrase "we seem to be on the same wavelength"? Anyway...
Damn that is deep, and i thought it was only because i was insomniac...
Old 2nd April 2010
  #171
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
...mysticism at the end of the day is all just the same old snake oil - a smokescreen people place between themselves and reality in order to deal with the big questions that are frankly easily answered after a certain amount of deeply attentive life experience and work avoiding the pitfall of intellectual laziness.
See, this is not thoughtful. Wittgenstein spent his entire life studying logic and concluded in the Tractatus that, "There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make themselves manifest. They are what is mystical."

I don't know this for sure - but I'll venture a guess - that none of us grew up with what could arguably be called the world's most expensive education, then went on to become the indusputed greatest living mathematician, then went on to teach logic & philoshopy at one of the most esteemed schools in the world & have published two books on the subject.

Yet here we see a Gearslut lump Wittgenstein, whose logic ultimately took him to the path of mysticism, in with, "old snake oil" & "intellectual laziness".

15 minutes of fame...
Old 2nd April 2010
  #172
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
So Dean, I gather by the way you use the term 'clumsy' rather than my quote, "accident prone," you're on this thread to push your agenda, rather than have thoughtful discourse over a cup of tea.
It doesn't matter what term you use. There is zero correlation between birth date and any characteristic, therefore it's irrelevant what term is used.

Quote:
I lower myself to your level for the sake of your understanding: Dean, your personal belief system, which requires your personal version of statistical significance, is not only clumsy, but also completely silly. And it smells like cat urine.

Your turn.
If you think that's on the same level as my argument, then you are lost already. Without stastical significance, your entire argument is completely non-existent.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
See, this is not thoughtful. Wittgenstein spent his entire life studying logic and concluded in the Tractatus that, "There are, indeed, things that cannot be put into words. They make themselves manifest. They are what is mystical."
Again, the fact that there are things that cannot be put into words has zero correlation with your arguments. The fact that some things may not be puttable into words doesn't make things that are easily disproveable true.

Quote:
I don't know this for sure - but I'll venture a guess - that none of us grew up with what could arguably be called the world's most expensive education, then went on to become the indusputed greatest living mathematician, then went on to teach logic & philoshopy at one of the most esteemed schools in the world & have published two books on the subject.
Again, irrelevant. Newton was a complete fruitcake about religion and alchemy and such, but he's considered the greatest scientist of all time. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #174
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
That said...mysticism...the real problem is this: there is no evidence whatsoever that any of it is true beyond the opinion of the believer. That's fine, as long as you understand it is only your opinion.
Ok, this is good. I agree 100% with this particular quote. You see how this quote is different from where you lumped mysticism in with religion? Religion is a system of belief for multiple people, mysticism can be one person's belief. Organized religion = bad. Personal mysticism, not being stuffed down throats = good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
When it becomes The Truth, you have entered precisely the same realm as the mystic who sacrifices the victim, the priesthood who holds sway over the village, the church that dictates belief and behavior to the entire culture. You have left the realm of the rational and entered the outer fringes of the realm of babbling, schizoid madness, and whether or not you ever commit an act of spiritually-inspired violence you're in the same camp - the camp of Truth based on nothing more than opinion and the will to impose that opinion on others.
No. This is all thoughtless exaggeration which you know can be proved wrong by those who believe in mysticism yet don't force others to follow. And for someone who doesn't beleive in mysticism: what's with your use of the term, "the same realm"? Realm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Hey, another thought: I guess there are people who`d say that there is no connection between astrology and mysticism. You`re wrong. Astrology is an ancient pseudoscience with no evidence to support belief in it - that makes it mysticism.
But not all mysticism is astrology. Jesus dude, do you're homework before you knock stuff you really might possibly not understand.

Of course, if you know everthing...well, you know what that makes you
Old 2nd April 2010
  #175
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
your entire argument is completely non-existent.
If my argument "is completely non-existent" how could you possibly have responded to it?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
If my argument "is completely non-existent" how could you possibly have responded to it?
In the same way that one can state that a vacuum consists of emptiness. The fact that there is nothing in the vacuum doesn't prevent someone from talking about it.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #177
Gear Addict
 
OldSkool's Avatar
 

If I exhibit traits found to be typical of Aries - traits ascribed to one-twelfth of the human population or roughly fifty million people - that is what I call coincidence. You don't want to base your belief on a logical fallacy called confusing cause and effect.

Like I said: admit there is no basis for your belief, or belief in Moloch or YHVH or Tezcatlipoca or Gitche Manitou or Kirlian photography or crystal healing or shapeshifting alien reptiles or ghosts or the boogmieman or vampires or werewolves or channeling or Jim-Jones-is-Christ or David-Koresh-is-Christ or Vishnu or Allah or yogic flying or quantum jumping - except your faith. That is the real meaning of faith I think: no evidence whatsoever but you choose to believe it anyway.

What gets me going every day is my family, my friends, my music, and the incredible universe I am fortunate enough to have been born into. Everything else is just a waste of the limited time I have here to enjoy those things. We must respectfully agree to disagree.

Old 2nd April 2010
  #178
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
In the same way that one can state that a vacuum consists of emptiness. The fact that there is nothing in the vacuum doesn't prevent someone from talking about it.
How can you communicate in a vacuum if someone continues to respond?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #179
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
I wonder.... ? Does creativity affect the seasons??

Just think if scientists were not creative and had never invented the combustion engine or power plants, fossil fuel burning would not cause enhanced green house effect as a result. Also had they not invented CFC based products, ozone depletion may not be happening if it actually is. What about the creative of the chain saw? and the bulldozer? tearing down the rain forests. Does all this climate change affect the seasons? hmmmmm. So in inadvertently, creativity affects the seasons and the seasons affect creativity.

Now that is really weird. I'm totally freaked out right now. Does this mean Darwin was right too? Seasons affect the creation of new species due to adaptation? This thread has ruined my life. It's all I'm going to think about now. Natural selection, and selection naturally. Seasons changing and changing seasons. What about creation?
i think you can find that duality in almost everything... Do we create our environment, or does our environment create us? Id say both... And thats strictly my opinion....

Which is more important, the creative, or the receptive? Is music really any good without anyone to listen to it?
Old 3rd April 2010
  #180
Gear Maniac
 
nuemes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Like I said: admit there is no basis for your belief...except your faith.
For someone who claims to hate having other people's belief systems stuffed down his throat you sure are busy stuffing your own belief system down our throats.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
RuffJazzRecords / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
Jules / So much gear, so little time
34

Forum Jump
Forum Jump