The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
headphones for mixing Studio Headphones
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

headphones for mixing

Hello,

My mix enviornment is in an apartment and I cannot turn up the monitors late at night. Right now I have a pair of ATH-m50s I use for mixing, however I have a friend who works at a pro audio store that can get me discounts on any headphones from AT, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Allen and Heath, (possibly some more companies).

Are there a pair of headphones that would be gret for mixing form these companies that would go well with my ATH-M50s to give me a different sense of the mix. I'd be open to something more high end as I can get around dealer cost.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

From another thread: Mixing On Headphones

Sennheiser HD600, HD650 and Beyer DT880 seem to be mentioned most here. I currently use AKG 701 and looking into getting a second pair. I'll probably go with the HD600.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Only prob with HD 600 and other open designs, IMO s that the high end is subdued. I find myself cupping my hands around the cans when I want to dial in high frequencies.

On the other hand, the low end is quite nice, and a great reference when you're accustomed to it.

My next pair will most likely be Sony MDR7506. Good price, industry standard phones. If you really want to go cheap, MDRV600 is a set that you can throw around, rough them up and not worry too much about. Great for checking high end because they will tell you if anything is brittle before it actually happens. Great for digititis control.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

well ive already got the ATH-m50s which are great for high end but not sure about the lows

the hd650s sound great for the lows

also heard a good idea is a pair of grado sr80s, as they are very good for hearing detail...any experience with these?
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

I do most of my mixing on Ultrasones.

Maybe your pro audio buddy can help you in that direction.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have a pair of HD650s. They're pretty awesome for spatial stuff and the clarity in the mid-range is really really good! I find they're still a little bit "nice" compared to monitors I like, but they make listening to music really enjoyable, and they're much more revealing than any headphones I've tried before.

I find that bass and high frequencies are hard to dial in, and that levels can be a little tricky - they're almost too revealing in the upper mids, meaning that normal speakers "blur" sounds that aren't quite as loud. Really that just means you have to be a little more generous with things in the background.

Works best for me to do static levels, bass and high end on boxes and then mid range, spatial stuff, effects and automation on the 650s, coming back to check on monitors and do any mix buss processing on them. It can be tempting to tweak the bass because it doesn't sound "right" in the cans, but trust your monitors!

They're amazingly comfortable too, but definitely not rugged. Also a bad idea to wear them on a bus/train. I quickly learned that not everybody shares my taste in music
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

im thinking now the k701s as i can get a great price on them. how do they compare to the 650s?

whats the difference between k701 and k702?
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

what would be the difference between the ATH-M50s and the K701/702s. I recently got the ATH-M50s for $100 and the AKGs will cost me $200....wondering what benefit id get from getting these for mixing. like i said, i have to do most of my mixing on headphones as i can only use my monitors only for a couple of hours each day (KRK V6s)
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

The AKG's are in a totally different League to most other head phones. The 702s have a detachable signal lead, and a different colour but the same product otherwise, i believe.

The AKGs are sometimes accused of being a bit bass lite.. They are in some ways, but it goes very deep and the better the amp you drive them with the better they sound and the more solid the bass.

The HD600 and 650s are both fine headphones, but they don't have the detail in the upper mids and treble in the same way the AKGs do. They have a slightly more , euphoric sound, about them.

So, to some extent, your choice is governed by what you are intending to drive them with. if it's a cheapish soundcard, then the 600s/650s might well work out better. If your interface/monitor controller has a decent phone socket/amp, then I'd go for the AKGs.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

id be driving them with a blacklion audio modified Digi002.

i am mixing my bands record this week and doing it mostly through headphones so if the 702s will get me a much better listening environment to mix than the ATH-M50s, I would def get them.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

You will need to get a 100 hours or so, on the AKGs, before they really open out...

From memory, the Grado SA60-80s need about 30 hours to run in, the AkGs about 100 hours, I am not sure on the HD series , have to ask someone who has them how quickly they settle in.

See one of the problems with trying phones out in shops is just that. If you listen to a pair that don;t have the hours on them they need, you can be left wondering why everyone thinks they are so wonderful compared to say, some far cheaper ones that have been burned in.

I'd drop Black Lion a mail and ask them , in all honesty, is the DiGi up to driving the AKGs and go from there.

On the other hand. if mixing through phones is going to be a long term thing then i'd do it slightly differently.

Tis is well worth a read.. 6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part One

Problem is no-one makes a decent cheap balanced phone amp, so you are looking at using the -10 out option on your soundcard into a standard phone amp. You can buy something like a PIMETA for 50-60 bucks and they will knock seven shades of crap out of most on board phone outputs.

If anyone is reading this, who is involved. A good clean balanced in, standard out phone amp, would sell pretty damn well in my humble opinion.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

can i break in the AKGS just by leaving them for 3-4 days attached to my stereo playing music through them? i can wait 3-4 days before i get into the fine details of the mix anyway.

that article is interesting, but too complicated...like i said im on a budget and can get the AKGs for $200, which is an affordable expense for this project, if and only if ill really get a better enviornment than my ATH-M50s
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

don't.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

I've been using the HD800s for the past six months or so, after a long time on HD650s. They are pretty stunning headphones, certainly the best I've ever tried. I've used AKGs and various Sennheiser for some years. If you're willing to go berserk and spend an obscene amount of money, they're worth looking into.

-synthoid
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

not in my budget. $200 is. that can get me 702s.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Mixes I've done on K240 came out as good as with monitors.

Nice to know it can be done.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Senn's pay for themselves if you take care of em. Guaranteed no regret there.

I was thinking of buying a better cord for mine however.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
I have sennheiser EH-150s and they're really good for like 50 or so bucks.
Old 29th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Hello,

My mix enviornment is in an apartment and I cannot turn up the monitors late at night. Right now I have a pair of ATH-m50s I use for mixing, however I have a friend who works at a pro audio store that can get me discounts on any headphones from AT, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Allen and Heath, (possibly some more companies).

Are there a pair of headphones that would be gret for mixing form these companies that would go well with my ATH-M50s to give me a different sense of the mix. I'd be open to something more high end as I can get around dealer cost.
The ATH m-50s are very nice, if you learn them you should be fine, I test my mixes on them and I think they are great! You will have to get used to any headphones so you might as well get used to the ones you have..but then again that dont cure the gear lust either heh
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
I'll buy hd 600's soon but I don't do mixing with headphones, very bad for health.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

i was just told i can get a pair of 701s for $170. They are refurbished. Hmmmm....this is tempting.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Hello,

I got an akg k271, love them!
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Anything by Grado. I got's me a pair of SR125's ($150). Sound awesome but they take a bit of getting used to because they're open back. Great for mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search