The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What does "Wire with Gain" mean ???
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

What does "Wire with Gain" mean ???

What exactly does this phrase mean ???
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

It´s just a way of describing a very clean amplifier.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
What exactly does this phrase mean ???
This phrase is being used to describe the sonic character (or better, the lack of it) of a mic preamp: A unit that only adds gain and that does not alter the sound or the tonal balance of the input signal in any way, just like a simple cable would to - minus the amplification, that is.

Of course this is an ideal and it is practically impossible, as every (active) circuit in the signal path has an influence on the sound. But the goal here is to make it so small that it doesn't really matter in real life applications.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Aaah...that's what i thought, a pre which seems invisible.
But that isn't always a great thing right ? People pay for color and character.

Then, is WWG=Sterile ???
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure. Horses for courses...

Quote:
Then, is WWG=Sterile ???
Not necessarily. There are very clean units that still sound smooth and "elegant".
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

The expression has been around for many decades and is not peculiar to mic pres, or indeed peculiar to any specific amplifier at all. You hear it used for power amplifiers, line driver amplifiers, indeed anything with gain for which you don't want any additional artefacts. I'm sure the phase was used by designers of tape head amplifers and probably cutter head amplifiers too.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

it's the unattainable state of the "perfect" amplification system..

as in ''the perfect amp is a wire with gain"
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

On a vaguely related note, when engineers talk about a system that has extremely wide bandwidth, like from 0Hz to megahertz, they say it goes "from DC to Daylight." :-)
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aaah...that's what i thought, a pre which seems invisible.

Then, is WWG=Sterile ???
today they do..yesterday they were searching for the "truest" path..hence why 99% of tube gear was dumped when solid state came out
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

When I was selling HI Fi stereo in the early 70 s we used the term "strait wire with gain" to describe the audiophile's ideal goal in amplification .
Old 27th March 2010
Right, I always heard the phrase as a straight wire with gain -- the ultimate goal of hi fi amplification.

In fact, I have a Yamaha NaturalSound prosumer amp with a "Pure Direct" button that, IIRC, was described in the manual as an attempt to close in on a straight wire with gain -- ie, no EQ or other modification -- even the pan control is removed from the circuit, leaving the volume pot the only control.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Guru

I take it as a marketing phrase.

the fact is that nobody can really ever know what a straight wire with gain sounds like. We can never really compare, because the actual output of a mic, for example, is too low for us to hear. It must be amplified. But by what?

engineers have their preferences among 'clean' amps, too.

Even a 'perfect' amplifier exists, nobody knows which one it is.
Old 27th March 2010
Well, one can make a highly educated 'guess' by using high precision test gear to quantify the performance characteristics in terms of signal-to-noise, distortion, frequency and power bandwidth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search