The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha SW10 experience Studio Monitors
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Yamaha SW10 experience

I searched, but there is not enough specific information.

I am using a pair of Yamaha MSP5's which I like very much and my second - bigger set of Dynaudio BM15 is only confusing me, so I decided to only use MSP5 and Avantone Mixcubes, but I need some more low end to check, so I thought to get an appropriate subwoofer like SW10.

Does anyone have any experience with this set-up - does it integrate seemlessly with MSP5? Do you mix with it turned on all the time or do you only turn it on to check deep bass (that's my plan - I like mixing on "shelf box reference")?

Any experience with cheaper alternatives - the small Adam subwoofers?

All in all - is getting SW10 to complement MSP5 a worthwile move?
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I ran this EXACT setup for a few years and LOVED it! I had the MSP-5's and the SW-10 sub. To me it was a very nice and necessary enhancement to the MSP5's.

I have now switched to the Event ASP-8's and really like them too. I STILL have the Yammy SW10 and I do use it with the Event's but only way down low. I loaned my buddy my MSP5's and now I wish I had them back as another reference to my NS10M's... I'd get the sub. You won't believe what it does to those little 5's! Enjoy!
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

I'm with yfoiler on the love for the SW10 / MSP5 combo. I picked up SW10 for super cheap at a pawnshop on a whim and and love what it does with my msp5's. I'd say, if you can find one, get it. It took a little while to tweak it just right but now it's on all the time and sounds seamless with the msp5's. Once I got it dialed in and positioned just right mixing became a good deal easier and translated much better. I also have a set of the HS80's and JBL 4412's but almost all of my mixing is done on the MSP5 / SW10 combination.

-Goodwolf
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. Sounds good. How low do you set the woofer to start kicking in - I was thinking of using the full MSP5 "linear" range and use woofer only for the extreme subs.
How cheap was SW10? Actually I have to go with new, since it will be some project money and I need the original bill. I see them going around 800EU here, not really cheap (for me)...
If anyone has some good link with good prices in Europe, I'd appreciate it.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

bump

Any more opinions based on practical experience and/or frequent use of this system or SW10 woofer?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Bump.

Any other experience with SW10?

Go buying, soon...
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

So, despite the lack of any further opinions I jumped on it today, it will arrive in a few days and I hope, I'll post some enthusiastic report, soon.
Old 8th April 2010
I'm interesting in hearing your take on the sub and how it works with the msp5s. I have a pairs of msp5s and although I really like them, I usually have to A/B through all of my friends' sound systems to get the bass accurate in my mixes. The SW10 is too rich for my blood however, so I was looking into a used HS10W. I've also seen some Tannoy TS10s on ebay recently, going for around $200-250. Are these the real deal or knockoffs? I can't imagine that they'd be selling so cheap if they were genuine.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

So, it finally arrived!

It integrated seemlesly once I found the right setting and played a couple of test sweeps. I don't even notice it, until I switch it off...

Now, I have the depth that I need and the sub problems or too much bass I used to dial in a few times when mixing only on MSP5s are gone. I can orientate myself perfectly now, "muddiness" gets revealed very easily and now I finally hear what really happens with low cuts or boosts...

The tonality of MSP5 changed psychologically - they didn't sound too agressive to me before, but now, the whole system sounds super smooth.

I highly recommend it, but that's only the first impression...

I doubt you can "cheat" with a lesser sub for Yamahas to get that kind of smooth and accurate experience...

Oh, and it's quite a bit bigger than I imagined and very heavy.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Maniac

See? Would I have steered your wrong? Heh heh heh... Glad you enjoy it. Really makes those SP5's come alive! Enjoy!
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfoiler View Post
See? Would I have steered your wrong? Heh heh heh... Glad you enjoy it. Really makes those SP5's come alive! Enjoy!
Old 19th June 2011
Gear Nut

oh i cantwait ohicantwaitohicantwait
Really happy with my MSP5 (coming from event 20/20bas, HS80/HS10w)!
But im sure now the SW10 will do the trick on the bottom.
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using the SW10 with my Westlake Audio BBSM 10's. They're Great. But in a bigger room (lots of cubic volume), they are not enough.
Old 31st August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
So, it finally arrived!

It integrated seemlesly once I found the right setting and played a couple of test sweeps. I don't even notice it, until I switch it off...

Now, I have the depth that I need and the sub problems or too much bass I used to dial in a few times when mixing only on MSP5s are gone. I can orientate myself perfectly now, "muddiness" gets revealed very easily and now I finally hear what really happens with low cuts or boosts...

The tonality of MSP5 changed psychologically - they didn't sound too agressive to me before, but now, the whole system sounds super smooth.

I doubt you can "cheat" with a lesser sub for Yamahas to get that kind of smooth and accurate experience...

Hi there ,

How's today the experience and combination of the msp5 and sw10 combo ?
Im using the msp5 since 2003 and was looking for more lower part / bass sound .
Thanks for your feedback
Paq
Old 31st August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
So, it finally arrived!

In fact there is now the sw10 studio available ? Still good combo with the older msp5 ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search