The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 24th March 2010
News Desk Editor

Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics

UNIVERSAL AUDIO ANNOUNCES 4-710D FOUR-CHANNEL “TWIN-FINITY” MIC PREAMP & DI W/ DYNAMICS

New Analog Hardware Boasts Four Tone-Blending Mic Preamps — Variable between Tube and Solid State — Plus Classic 1176-Style Compression & Pristine A/D Conversion

Universal Audio today announced a new addition to its award-winning line of premium analog recording hardware: the 4-710D Four-Channel “Twin-finity” Mic Preamp & DI with Dynamics. As the newest member of UA’s popular analog product lineup, the 4-710D combines UA’s classic design approach with several modern innovations — creating a unique studio device suited to a wide range of applications.

At the core of the 4-710D are four channels of tone-blending “Twin-finity” mic preamps with true-bypass 1176-style compression. Based on the original award-winning 710 Twin-Finity preamp — favored by engineers including Al Schmitt (Jackson Browne, Dr. John, Diana Krall) and Matt Boudreau (The Samples, Sean O’Brien) — each of the four mic preamp channels allows for continuously variable tone between 100% tube and 100% solid-state.

Other notable 4-710D features include:

• Newly designed 1176-style compression/soft-limiting circuit per mic channel
• Eight channels of high-quality 24-Bit, 192kHz A/D conversion
• Digital output via dual ADAT optical or AES/EBU DB-25
• Monolithic balanced output stage
• Balanced send/return inserts

The 4-710D is expected to be released worldwide in Q3 2010; Pricing remains TBD.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics-4-710d_back1.jpg   Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics-4-710d_front.jpg  
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

WANT
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting……………….very interesting!

Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Yes definitely interesting but I was hoping they would reissue the 2108 or maybe a 2192 with pres.
Now if the the conversion is on par with the 2192 and of course pricing is right this might be something I would seriously consider buying.
I have to research it but I don't remember reading any extremely "great" or "negative" reviews about the Twin-finity pres.
I just bought an MR816 haven't put it through its paces yet but I pretty sure that my ad/da will be covered for awhile, so what I need are pres.

If UA had released a a 2108 pre with 1176ish compression ( I believe they share similarities in design) I think people wold be lining up for them.

just my $0.02
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

This looks quite a bit like the Focusrite ISA 428, but with a more flexible dynamics section. Interesting!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

O M G... yes please x 2 for drumsessions!
Old 24th March 2010
GSF
Gear Addict
Very interesting, but one thing I don't understand: why is there 8 channels of conversion if it's only a 4 channel box?
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
Very interesting, but one thing I don't understand: why is there 8 channels of conversion if it's only a 4 channel box?
4 channels stereo adat 4 channels for the aes/ebu ? got me stumped.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
it's just like the focusrite 428. 4 additional line ins are provided for the other channels of A/D.
Old 24th March 2010
I think adding the extra 4 inputs A/D is a great move. If you have a good 4channel preamp and not as good A/D that is great To bad i already bought a crane song spider mohhaha
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqverb View Post
I don't remember reading any extremely "great" or "negative" reviews about the Twin-finity pres.
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't seem like the original hit it out of the park so I'm a little curious about the move to expand the line. However the addition of the compressor and the 8 channels of A/D sweeten the pot. If it's priced well to feel like you're getting part of the box for free...the comps or the A/D or however you want to look at it, then it might be a great, diverse addition. I also like that 4 of the A/D are direct and don't require you to use the 710 preamps.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
If it's priced well to feel like you're getting part of the box for free...the comps or the A/D or however you want to look at it, then it might be a great, diverse addition. I also like that 4 of the A/D are direct and don't require you to use the 710 preamps.
"Newly designed 1176-style compression/soft-limiting circuit per mic channel"
from the OP's post

I dont believe that this unit has a "compressor" in the true sense of the word. Seems to me that it exhibits some characteristics of compression based on the 1176 circuitry, maybe similar sonically to placing a pair of 1176's (2-bus) at the end of your chain without compression.
I do have to agree with Baron it might not be a bad deal for all those features. IF the price is right.
Old 24th March 2010
Jai guru deva om

That's interesting, hope it doesn't get talked to death while people wait another 6 months to find out what anybody thinks about it while they try to decide while they keep asking "price??? anybody???"...

War heh
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Nut

so this leads us to the next thing with DSP (UAD) on board?

Like a Liquid Channel?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm hoping this segues to an 8 channel 2192 w/no pres. Day one purchase.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

definitely interesting!!!!!!!

although, the comp is very minimal, and i believe only has 3 settings via switch... it still looks great......

a good thing for all those firewire based/ on-location recordings!!!!!!

this new unit, with 2 API 3124's with mixing option and stereo outs, would give you 12 channels of hi-end pre and conversion!!!!!

plus, whatever you interface already includes.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
definitely interesting!!!!!!!

although, the comp is very minimal, and i believe only has 3 settings via switch... it still looks great......

Thanks I had to take a real close look at the image I see the
settings for the compressor. I originally thought it was just
an 1176 type circuitry in the signal path.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqverb View Post
Thanks I had to take a real close look at the image I see the
settings for the compressor. I originally thought it was just
an 1176 type circuitry in the signal path.
its really hard to see... i noticed that it can be set to 'slow' or 'fast' or 'off'..
there is also a 'low cut' switch.....

another amazing thing that i just realized is that there are inserts on every channel!!!!!

what seemed like a typical piece to me is now looking like an amazing multi-functional tool....
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

If this is a good price, I am totally thinking of revamping my setup, having this as the main component.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm guessing $1999.99

This is my educated guess. I channel of a 710 is about $799.99. That times for is about $2400.

Right at $2K seems logical to me. I hope I'm wrong and it's like $1499.99
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Oh wait. This has an AD converter in it. Damn!!! I didn't look close enough. Yeah, I think $1999.99 would be ambitious. $1499.99 would be insane. I'm changing my educated guess to $2499.99. I doubt the AD will be similar to the 2192. Otherwise this thing would be about $6000.

EDIT - Oh. I just saw the dynamics. Ok, my guess changed to $2999.99
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's got four full-on compressors... just very little control.

There is a GR position on the meter switch.

Do people like the 710's much?

This could be cool.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Oh wait. This has an AD converter in it. Damn!!! I didn't look close enough. Yeah, I think $1999.99 would be ambitious. $1499.99 would be insane. I'm changing my educated guess to $2499.99. I doubt the AD will be similar to the 2192. Otherwise this thing would be about $6000.

EDIT - Oh. I just saw the dynamics. Ok, my guess changed to $2999.99
Hahaha. You're cracking me up!
Yeah... I think you're closer with your last estimation. My 2192 is the one piece in my studio I wouldn't be ok with replacing with something else. Absolutely a key part of my sound.
(pssst...896 please! - 8 channels at 96k!)
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I'm guessing $1999.99

This is my educated guess. I channel of a 710 is about $799.99. That times for is about $2400.
um, $800 x 4 is $3200
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpettipoole View Post
um, $800 x 4 is $3200
Yeah. You're right. I was watching a movie while typing. Hence all the distractions. This thing looks cool though.

I just wish I could do simple math and watch movies at the same time.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

i'd put money on $2995.99 as the debut price..
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i'd put money on $2995.99 as the debut price..
Guess I wont be getting that anytime soon.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear
Interesting
Very good flexibility on this one tho', I just needed a 4ch preamp and I already have 512's in the box, otherwise I'd go for the 3124.
It's gonna be all about the price of this one i guess

Thing is I've never heard the twin finity tho', how does it sound? I mean compared with the usual suspects..
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Universal audio can you hear us!!!

Seeing this gives me hope that someday UA will finally bite the bullet and do what I've been begging them to do for years.

That would be in short order, to make a 16 or 24 channel recording and mixing solution. The closest comparison I can make is for UA to make there version of a studiolive or the zed-r consoles.

And since they have now shown a willingness to put out a non 2192 level converter it really could happen.

Short list of feature requests.

1= As I own and really love my 4110, use those pre's or better yet 2108's own one of those.

2= 4 channels of 2192 conversion, own one of those also.

3= Moving faders and recall

4= Make it a multi unit system ala paris,

5= Make it in the USA and let us pay for the quality.

The list goes on...

Please feel free to add what you would want and how much you would be willing to pay. I'd say it would have to be at least 10 grand probably more like 20 and that's fine.

It would be AWSOME!!!

What do YOU think?

G

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search