The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 5th December 2010
thanks for posting these observations. I was just wondering if this had hit teh streets yet. looks like a great deal.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
front end audio has a 10% off deal on them going, looks like
Do you know how long that's on for? I'll be able to afford mine next week... I'm absolutely desperate for this!!
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Guru

no idea... it's been off and on from what I can tell. I bet if you beg and plead you could probably work a deal on the phone or something
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone else using the UA 4-710d with stellar results? Curious about the converters...anyone else care to share their experience with this box? 2 of these would make a nice mobile rig!
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone else using the UA 4-710d with stellar results? Curious about the converters...anyone else care to share their experience with this box? 2 of these would make a nice mobile rig!

Last edited by Guitfiddle; 9th December 2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: accidental repeat
Old 8th December 2010
Placed my order from Front End Audio last Friday, anxiously awaiting delivery...
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Head

Hello all

This unit looks very interesting to me for I have been using digi002r since I began recording. What I need to know ( but dont ) is what type of unit i need so I can use this with Pro Tools 9. What could I get to take care of da conversion?
Old 8th December 2010
you can go in and out of your 002 trough the SPDIF connection (the rca looking i/o) with SPDIF cables .. you can clock through this also if you need to, it's only 2 channels though .. adat i/o gives you 8 ..

jeremy
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
you can go in and out of your 002 trough the SPDIF connection (the rca looking i/o) with SPDIF cables .. you can clock through this also if you need to, it's only 2 channels though .. adat i/o gives you 8 ..

jeremy
Thank you for your response. Would I be using the 002 ad if I go via lightpipe from UA to 002? Kind of lost in this ad/da thing.

Edit. Ok dumb question the signal is obviously digital out from UA but is the 002 doing anything to the signal this way?
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...or you can opt for the single channel chinese clone (the UA's are made in china too?):

ALCTRON MP-100 MP100 SOLID STATE TUBE PREAMP / PRE AMP - eBay (item 380295737655 end time Jan-02-11 21:22:27 PST)
If I ever have a spare £200 to throw away I'll buy one and A/B it with the twinfinity
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Addict

Little Fish Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
Do you know how long that's on for? I'll be able to afford mine next week... I'm absolutely desperate for this!!
We'll beat any price on any piece of gear. Simply show us a competitors price or forward us an estimate.
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Junky View Post
Thank you for your response. Would I be using the 002 ad if I go via lightpipe from UA to 002? Kind of lost in this ad/da thing.

Edit. Ok dumb question the signal is obviously digital out from UA but is the 002 doing anything to the signal this way?
Other than getting it into the computer... not REALLY.

The device only needs one optical cable to connect if running at 44.1 or 48k, and 2 output cables for 88.2 and 96.

Just tried it on drums, and it sounds magnificent.
Old 9th December 2010
Here for the gear

Surely a newb question, but would you be able to use this unit as a outboard stereo compressor for all around purposes ?
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdur View Post
Surely a newb question, but would you be able to use this unit as a outboard stereo compressor for all around purposes ?
My assumption based on looking at the block diagram is that you can use the compressors on line in - I will be trying this to see how it works.

Of course it's unlikely to be very flexible on program material with fixed settings, but it's definitely possible from waht I can see.

I'm mostly interested in the comps for tracking - set and forget stuff I'm hoping!
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdur View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can link two compressors together to effectively get stereo compressor behavior. If this is in fact true the answer to your question would be no.
Old 11th December 2010
Here for the gear

"My assumption based on looking at the block diagram is that you can use the compressors on line in - I will be trying this to see how it works."

Agreed, the compressor section should be available through the line in...
I was wondering if you tried it out yet...If so, what was your impression.
Thanks
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welldigger View Post
"My assumption based on looking at the block diagram is that you can use the compressors on line in - I will be trying this to see how it works."

Agreed, the compressor section should be available through the line in...
I was wondering if you tried it out yet...If so, what was your impression.
Thanks
I'm still waiting for my order to be shipped - I missed the last batch and am waiting on new stock to come in, I don't expect to get to try it out for at least a week! :(
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I was considering multiple units, then I realised there is a bit of a drawback:

If you have more than one unit you cannot use all adat digital and analog outputs.

That is, assuming you want to have 8 channels on each adat send the second unit has to have its analog outputs routed into the first ones 5-8 inputs, therefore you cannot use the second units analog outputs for anything else..

I guess you may be able to use the insert outputs, assuming that this doesn't cut the main outputs ?
Then again, if you use AES you could make a custom cable that could take 4 digital outs from each unit, but unfortunately I was wanting to use adat..

Matt
But could you not word clock them together and have 16 channels of adat out?
Old 16th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
But could you not word clock them together and have 16 channels of adat out?
yes, but then your 8 preamps digital outputs would be 4 on one adat output, and 4 on another, which is a bit silly.

So if you have a recorder with 2 adat ins, you can only use eight channels of these preamps via adat without losing the analog outputs of some of them. If you are willing to forgo the analog outputs of half of them you could use 16 channels of these. Ideally I'd like 16 channels that have 16 analog outputs and 16 channels of digital on two adat outputs, but it doesn't seem you can do that.

matt
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Ordered mine at AMS last month. It just shipped and will be here on Friday.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Head

FYI UK folks: we have 4-710d's in stock!

UK magazines will be rolling out reviews in the coming months.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcedist View Post
FYI UK folks: we have 4-710d's in stock!

UK magazines will be rolling out reviews in the coming months.
Are they the same 'rip off the customer so much that they're cheaper grey-marketing it from the USA, paying shipping, VAT and import duty and still saving several hundred £s' price as elsewhere?
Old 18th December 2010
Went to a demo yesterday and did a side-by-side with an SSL Alpha Channel ( with VHD when the tube was used on the UA ). It just blew the SSL out of the water on everything we put through them. Much smoother, nicer, just more musical altogether... the only time the call really was closer and the SSL came out on top was on arpeggiated acoustic guitar but it really wasn't a dramatic difference and only if you needed the guitar to be really predominant. But on piano, vocals ( spoken or sung ), acoustic strummed guitar and percussions, the UA was way better sounding than the SSL ( to everyone in the room too, not just me )... So now I want 2 for drums and acoustic guitar tracking as it sounded just beautiful on those... The mics used were Royer 122 in stereo pair on the piano and Microtech Gefell m300 in stereo pair on the guitar. A pair of those could really be the most amazing drums preamp I've heard in a long time. The limiter and tube drive on each channel really could make your drums recording sound great.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

optcal converters

you tested the converters? which might talk about them in comparison to other? thanks
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'm still waiting on my order to be shipped from Front End, i just missed the last stock - looks like I wont get my hands on it tell the new year.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGUERRA10 View Post
you tested the converters? which might talk about them in comparison to other? thanks
All we listened to was being recorded though the 4-710's converters and it sounded crystal clear with no apparent loss of definition or dynamics. But we didn't make a direct comparison to anything else. To me the conversion sounded every bit as good as anything out there. I don't believe that high-end converters really make that much of a difference compared to not-so-hyped mid-level converters ( apogee, lynx, anything by AKM in RME/TC/MOTU... you know, the mid-level stuff that still qualifies as pretty good conversion ), at least not on 24-32 track projects like I usually do. Now 100 tracks, maybe they do, but I have never actually had the chance to do a blind test proving that to me.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

so far, so great!!

Just got my 4-710d Friday... but with Xmas, and family havent really had a chance to put it through the paces, Only client I've had was tracking Dialogue for some math learning software.... (it aint rock it roll but it pays, lol) but so far I Love it...

I took a split off my mic from the patch bay and sent one direct to my DM4800 and the other to the UA, with the dial set all the way over to "tube"...

It goes without saying that the 710 was noticeably better then the Tascam Pre's (no disrespect intended to Tascam) but I've yet to compare it to my Joe Meek and Golden Age Pre's.... I can't wait to get some hard Rock Vocals though there....

I used to borrow a single channel 710 and just loved it, And While IM just getting started on building up my outboard gear, I suspect this unit will most likely be the best pre in my rack for some time to come...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Universal audio announces 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynami

I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts of the 4-710d compared to the Golden Age when you have time.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
yes, but then your 8 preamps digital outputs would be 4 on one adat output, and 4 on another, which is a bit silly.

So if you have a recorder with 2 adat ins, you can only use eight channels of these preamps via adat without losing the analog outputs of some of them. If you are willing to forgo the analog outputs of half of them you could use 16 channels of these. Ideally I'd like 16 channels that have 16 analog outputs and 16 channels of digital on two adat outputs, but it doesn't seem you can do that.

matt
This is just the way the unit is designed. But I see a way around this......

What if you took the 4 balanced sends from Unit 1 into input 5-8 of Unit 2. Then, use the balanced ruturns of Unit 1 as Inputs to feeds Unit 1 Converters.

This would give you 8 Pres on Units 2 ADAT out and 8 Analog inputs on Units 1 ADAT out.

A little gain staging would be required but I see this as a good workaround for your desires?

I was going to get the api 3134 but this is just too damn tempting!

8 channels of quality a/d conversion
4 qualit mic pres
4 1176 style comps

$2000??? What!!!!!

Can't use digital inserts in PT without a return and send path. Would need a D/A converter to feed the 4 line ins so one could use the comps as Hardware Inserts. It would be cool if UA came out with said unit to compliment the 4-710d.

Anyone know of a good d/a 8 channel converter with AES to compliment this unit? Although I completely understand why they didn't,...man it would have been just killer for them to have added said unit in this one for $500 more!

Seems like a great unit!thumbsup
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Order shipped, and currently in transit!

I just hope the weather holds!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search