The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

So I have had a few days with it and I think its cool unit. Now I am going to preface this with I am not the biggest tube pre fan.

I did some drums with it. Kick and snare with 50/50 tube setting sounds really good. Nice and fat but not tubby. I used the compressor on the snare and it was really awesome. Compared it to my 1176 and it sounded exactly the same. Overheads in all tube mode was awesome just took the edge off the cymbals really liked what it did more than my usual pacifica pre for overheads.

Bass I thought it was good but I preferred the Great River with dbx160x had a bit more big bottom and shimmer in the highs. Guitars sounded good. Just what I expected very smooth. I preferred the non tube on guitars.

Thats as far as I got. I am not using the converters so I cant report on them. I think the compressors are stellar and I will be adding this unit to my rack. I also have the UA8110 so maybe I am a bit of a UA fanboy.
Old 2nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
Overheads in all tube mode was awesome just took the edge off the cymbals really liked what it did more than my usual pacifica pre for overheads.
Interesting. I'm looking very closely at this item - I have a UA 710 and really dig it, and the compressors on each channel are a big selling point (as well as the AD conversion, curious to hear about that aspect, too). I'm currently running my overheads into a Pacifica as well, and am very curious to hear your thoughts on drum tracking with your 4-710d. Please post more info as you have it! Very close to selling my single 710 and Fireface 800 to finance the purchase...

UA seems to really be on to something with this unit, at least on paper!
Old 2nd December 2010

I was considering multiple units, then I realised there is a bit of a drawback:

If you have more than one unit you cannot use all adat digital and analog outputs.

That is, assuming you want to have 8 channels on each adat send the second unit has to have its analog outputs routed into the first ones 5-8 inputs, therefore you cannot use the second units analog outputs for anything else..

I guess you may be able to use the insert outputs, assuming that this doesn't cut the main outputs ?
Then again, if you use AES you could make a custom cable that could take 4 digital outs from each unit, but unfortunately I was wanting to use adat..

Matt
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Rosetta Connect

How would this connect to a Rosetta 800? Via lightpipe?

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post
How would this connect to a Rosetta 800? Via lightpipe?

Thanks!
Isn't the rosetta 800 an 8 channel ADDA converter?

The A-D 4-710d has converters built in. Or are you wanting to bypass them? In which case you would use the analog outs. Or were you wanting to output from the apogee? in which case you would go from the analog outs of the apogee to the analog ins of the universal audio. Or can you route external digital inputs into the symphony card? I don't think you can do that, maybe I'm wrong, I don't own one..

My guess is that you are a bit confused as to what these two units do. What were you hoping to achieve?

Matt
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yea, Confused

The Rosetta is an AD/DA, 8 analog in and 8 out. It also has aes and lightpipe ports. I want to ADD 8 channels of AD via the UA to the total system, 16AD. I'm not sure if that is possible. Do I have to stay in the Apogee Symphony system and get another Apogee converter or can I ADD to it with the 4-710?

I really don't NEED 8 more ins, I manage fine with what I have, but this UA product seems like such a deal, and hell, we need to be slutzy once in a while!

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Just tried one out, and was very impressed.

Sounded great on vox (vo session), and the metering and build on this beast is great. I used about a 25% tube on it, with the "slow" compressor setting. Sounded very fat, and like someone said earlier not "tubby" here either.

For the price... I may have to follow through and buy one when its in stock.
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post
The Rosetta is an AD/DA, 8 analog in and 8 out. It also has aes and lightpipe ports. I want to ADD 8 channels of AD via the UA to the total system, 16AD. I'm not sure if that is possible. Do I have to stay in the Apogee Symphony system and get another Apogee converter or can I ADD to it with the 4-710?

I really don't NEED 8 more ins, I manage fine with what I have, but this UA product seems like such a deal, and hell, we need to be slutzy once in a while!

Thanks.

With one adat port you can pump 8 channels from the 4-710 (4 preamps, and 4 additional line inputs) at 44.1k or 48k. At any rate above that its in SMUX mode, and only sends pre-amps 1-4; and at 192k, you need 2 adat inputs on your interface to get all 4 pres (1-2 out A, and 3-4 out B)
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

convertors sounded great too!
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Guru

wow, got my attention. looking forward to more reviews!
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

This unit gets HOT, so remember to at least leave a rack space above the unit open.
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Guru

I'm curious how the preamps and converters stack up to other units, and more takes on how useful the compressors are. like, what realm of quality do these converters land in compared to known products. same for pres.

I'm getting the idea, like the video suggests, these would be great for a compact/portable rig teamed up with, say, an Audiofire8 for adat and another good 4 channel pre
Old 3rd December 2010
OK, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the UA 4-710d. Two questions:
  1. Which Slutty dealers on this forum are currently shipping the unit?
  2. UA has been running a special for a while where you get a free UAD-2 Solo with purchase of a UA 710. Will UA be offering a similar promotion on the new unit, and am I best off waiting for that?
Already have a UA 710, which I dig for my room mic. Very excited to hear how a 4-710d plays with my API 3124 and Pacifica. Drum recording heaven!
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
OK, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the UA 4-710d. Two questions:
  1. Which Slutty dealers on this forum are currently shipping the unit?
  2. UA has been running a special for a while where you get a free UAD-2 Solo with purchase of a UA 710. Will UA be offering a similar promotion on the new unit, and am I best off waiting for that?
Already have a UA 710, which I dig for my room mic. Very excited to hear how a 4-710d plays with my API 3124 and Pacifica. Drum recording heaven!
Just heard that guitar center in chicago has some already.
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Guru

front end audio has a 10% off deal on them going, looks like
Old 4th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
front end audio has a 10% off deal on them going, looks like
That's good enough for me - just placed the order. Thanks for the heads-up, monkeyxx, and I'll definitely report back when I have the 4-710d in my sweaty little hands!
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Guru

awesome, will be happy to hear your report!
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
That's good enough for me - just placed the order. Thanks for the heads-up, monkeyxx, and I'll definitely report back when I have the 4-710d in my sweaty little hands!
Make that another - to good a deal to pass up! I picked up a Heil PR48 and 2 PR28 mics as well, cant wait to see how the drums sound through this setup.

Depending on how it goes I will probably sell my API A2D - I have one of the original ones with no Word clock option so the converters will simply be going to waste as I dont' think I will be able to sync it with the 4-710d.

It might be a case of replacing the A2D with a 500 series rack in the near future... heh
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

...or you can opt for the single channel chinese clone (the UA's are made in china too?):

ALCTRON MP-100 MP100 SOLID STATE TUBE PREAMP / PRE AMP - eBay (item 380295737655 end time Jan-02-11 21:22:27 PST)
Attached Thumbnails
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics-twinfinityclone.jpg  
Old 5th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...or you can opt for the single channel chinese clone (the UA's are made in china too?)
Wow, that's funny - what do you think the resale value on that Alctron unit would be?
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
So I have had a few days with it and I think its cool unit. Now I am going to preface this with I am not the biggest tube pre fan.

I did some drums with it. Kick and snare with 50/50 tube setting sounds really good. Nice and fat but not tubby. I used the compressor on the snare and it was really awesome. Compared it to my 1176 and it sounded exactly the same. Overheads in all tube mode was awesome just took the edge off the cymbals really liked what it did more than my usual pacifica pre for overheads.

Bass I thought it was good but I preferred the Great River with dbx160x had a bit more big bottom and shimmer in the highs. Guitars sounded good. Just what I expected very smooth. I preferred the non tube on guitars.

Thats as far as I got. I am not using the converters so I cant report on them. I think the compressors are stellar and I will be adding this unit to my rack. I also have the UA8110 so maybe I am a bit of a UA fanboy.
Thanks for the review Chuck, I forgot this box has a built in comp too.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Would love to hear some more reviews on how the converters stack up against units like the Lynx Aurora or maybe Apogee Ensemble.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Would love to hear some more reviews on how the converters stack up against units like the Lynx Aurora or maybe Apogee Ensemble.
I will certainly be doing some extensive tests with the 4-710d converters against my API A2D when it arrives.

I will compare the A2D pres through the 170d converters against it's own AD stage, and after having recorded an album through the A2D I'm very familiar (and happy) with its sound.

I'll do some other tests against my audio interfaces stock converters as well, plus some different clocking setups.

I'm hoping the 4-710d has good enough conversion that I can sell the A2D and either pick up a 500 series rack with 2 512s or even a 3124.

Of course, I might just keep the A2D in any event - I love the 2:1 switch on the pres and the A2D is the only piece that has these, so even if the A2D converters aren't used it's still a great piece (I only paid £1100 GBP for it due to fortuitous exchange rates! heh)

Really looking forward to getting this in - I've decided against the GS-R24 and any other kind of hybrid console in the short-medium term.

I'd rather get a small high-quality setup and build on it incrementally, and the 4-710d fits the bill here perfectly, mostly due to the 1176 style compressors and the soft limiting - I'm expecting these to really be worth there weight in gold when it comes to drum tracking, though I'm sure the blendable pres will give me lots of different options as well.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
I will certainly be doing some extensive tests with the 4-710d converters against my API A2D when it arrives.

I will compare the A2D pres through the 170d converters against it's own AD stage, and after having recorded an album through the A2D I'm very familiar (and happy) with its sound.

I'll do some other tests against my audio interfaces stock converters as well, plus some different clocking setups.

I'm hoping the 4-710d has good enough conversion that I can sell the A2D and either pick up a 500 series rack with 2 512s or even a 3124.

Of course, I might just keep the A2D in any event - I love the 2:1 switch on the pres and the A2D is the only piece that has these, so even if the A2D converters aren't used it's still a great piece (I only paid £1100 GBP for it due to fortuitous exchange rates! heh)

Really looking forward to getting this in - I've decided against the GS-R24 and any other kind of hybrid console in the short-medium term.

I'd rather get a small high-quality setup and build on it incrementally, and the 4-710d fits the bill here perfectly, mostly due to the 1176 style compressors and the soft limiting - I'm expecting these to really be worth there weight in gold when it comes to drum tracking, though I'm sure the blendable pres will give me lots of different options as well.

Looking forward to your review.... I could use more preamps like I could use a fork in my eye.., but with all the other features I could really see myself making good use of this box.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

really want one of these units! so much.

I have two x 710s so will be nice to pick up another 4 eventually! i haven't not liked these preamps on anything !
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Taking a quick look at the block diagram, am I right in thinking that the 'insert return' comes AFTER the compressor and various processing? So, one could plug the output of their 3rd party preamp into the insert return and bypass everything except the A/D (and limiter) stage? Just trying to get an idea of how I'd wire this up to a patchbay...
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Taking a quick look at the block diagram, am I right in thinking that the 'insert return' comes AFTER the compressor and various processing? So, one could plug the output of their 3rd party preamp into the insert return and bypass everything except the A/D (and limiter) stage? Just trying to get an idea of how I'd wire this up to a patchbay...
I'm not sure in terms of the Return and the Insert switch - these appear to be missing on the block diagaram in the current Manual.

My assumption would be that if the Insert switch is ON, then whatever is inserted to the Return on that channel will be sent on to the A/D converter.

So if you have 8 other pres/chains you could just use the 710d as an 8-channel A/D.

On the whole its pretty flexible - the line ins on channels 1-4 mean that the comps can be used by other pres as well, so you have a choice - i.e. so far as I can see if I was inclined I could put the analog outputs of my A2D into the line in of one of the channel pres and get the usage of the 1176 style comps - lots of options!
Old 5th December 2010
Gear Nut

a question -

do you need some kind of an interface with the computer after the A/D stage on the 710 ?
Old 5th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daystar View Post
a question -

do you need some kind of an interface with the computer after the A/D stage on the 710 ?
yes, assuming you are wanting the output to go into your computer

matt
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...or you can opt for the single channel chinese clone (the UA's are made in china too?):
Without the compressor that doesn't seem a real good deal?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search