The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 4th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalasini View Post
...there is no attack or release settings...
no "settings" but there is a slow & fast setting right on the front panel. you can also see them flip it in the video.
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibleobsession View Post
Hmm...someone mentioned earlier that UA was giving away UAD2 Solos with their 710s now to sweeten that deal up at $800. Can anyone confirm that or link me up to where I can find that deal?
Here is the linkUniversal Audio 710 Twin-Finity Hybrid Mic Preamp & DI at FrontEndAudio.com

Hope this helps.
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder how this convertor holds up to the 2192.
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

Universal audio announces 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy
I wonder how this convertor holds up to the 2192.
Me too
Old 5th November 2010
Gear Maniac

This thing looks really awesome!

if:
the converters are anything like the 2192
the compression is good and not a gimmick
the insert on channel 1-4 can be used to go straight to the converter
they didn't skimp on the preamps

This is sort of a no brainer. Its like a perfect unit
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear

Universal audio announces 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynami

The converters are a brand new design.... But knowing UA, they probably sound better than anything in a similar price point
Old 7th November 2010
Here for the gear

Hooking this up?

I'd like to know how to incorporate this into my studio?

My current setup is a Macbook + Apogee Duet. Would it be possible to use the UA with some kind of card for the inputs into Logic, and then use the Duet for monitoring?

Could this kind of setup work?
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

REALLY looking forward to some reviews on this. There's quite a bit packed in there at only $2K..., I just hope it stands up. I'm wondering how the A/D converters would compare to the old (yet classic IMO) Apogee AD8000.
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, just came accross this (so no waiting period)! I'm using a Lynx Aurora 16 with a Pro Tools HD3 system. There is a way to set the Lynx unit so that you get 16 channels of AES along with the 16 channels of A/D - D/A at the same time. If I read the manual correctly, this gives me 32 ins & 32 outs.

Would I be able to run this unit through the AES ins on the Aurora 16 & be adding not only 4 new mic pres but also 8 channels of A/D so I would now have 24 A/D & 16 D/A into Pro Tools through 1 Aurora unit?

Is there any reason why the delay compensation would get screwed up by doing this?
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetaxas View Post
Wow, just came accross this (so no waiting period)! I'm using a Lynx Aurora 16 with a Pro Tools HD3 system. There is a way to set the Lynx unit so that you get 16 channels of AES along with the 16 channels of A/D - D/A at the same time. If I read the manual correctly, this gives me 32 ins & 32 outs.

Would I be able to run this unit through the AES ins on the Aurora 16 & be adding not only 4 new mic pres but also 8 channels of A/D so I would now have 24 A/D & 16 D/A into Pro Tools through 1 Aurora unit?

Is there any reason why the delay compensation would get screwed up by doing this?
Pro Tools would not delay compensate for the digital inputs since it has no way to read the A/D conversion delay BEFORE the digital input. This is also the case with the Digital I/O of the 192, actually. So this is not some sort of lacking on the part of the LT-HD card or Lynx. The idea is that the Aurora is seen as a 192io and, thusly, suffers all the same little quirks associated with mixing and matching the analog and digital i/o.

So, sample alignment is not something that is going to occur between your analog inputs and digital inputs. On tracking dates, you will want to ensure that you are keeping all of one particular brand of converters (Aurora OR UA 4-710) on, say, the drums. You would not mix and match the drum signals to both the analog and digital ins NOR split a stereo pair between analog and digital in - which would not be considered a "best practice" anyway.

Ideally, you would commit to one particular type of converter - in your case this would be the Lynx Aurora with LT-HD and add more of the same to maintain the converter delay compensation throughout. One less thing to worry about. Notice that I said "ideally", knowing that this is not always a feasible solution for obvious reasons.

Hope that this helps!
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
REALLY looking forward to some reviews on this. There's quite a bit packed in there at only $2K..., I just hope it stands up. I'm wondering how the A/D converters would compare to the old (yet classic IMO) Apogee AD8000.
I know.... I'm shocked by all the features and the price..... But considering UA is one of the few big time sellers in the pro-audio industry.... I could see how they could make this kind of product happen.

I also took into account the fact that all the technology aside from the converters already existed, they just had to combine them into a new box...

I'm in the same boat as you..... Very curious to where the converters fit into the spectrum of what's already available....

But I can't help but wonder if this unit lacks in some way considering the price point of a product with 8 channel A/D, 4 compressors, 4 preamps with tubes, and inserts.

If all of these features are quality, then this product will well like hotcakes!!!!
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

very interested in this preamp/comp/converter...is it made in the us?
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
is it made in the us?
I would think not, given the very competitive price. It's most likely "designed in california, assembled in china" like the single channel. nttawwt
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quick question

I am thinking of buying this in conjunction with a A&H R16 to sweeten the front end a bit.

I was planning on bring it in through the A&H insert point as its the only way to bypass the pre on the A&H board.

Q1 Can i do this ie input to 710 pre, and then take the send from the 710 and go into the return on the board?

Q2 For even more flexibility could I have 710 send and return wired up to insert on the R16 and use it as above when tracking, but then switch to using it to add colour to pre-recorded source (that i did not use it on originally) coming out of the DAW through the A&H channel, sort of like re-amping during mix down.

Is the above a) possible b) advisable.

I realize that i could also ustilize the digital outs on this and go via ADAT to the ADAT in on the R16 firewire bus and then pick it up within the DAW direct. However i want to be able to use the board to set up monitor mixs and don't really want to add the round trip to the Poota as it kinda defeats the object slightly

Thoughts and conjectures please.

G
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear
Really interested to see some reviews coming in on this piece - I really want the Allen & Heath GS-R24, but simply don't think I'm going to be able to afford it.

This piece could address a lot of the issues I have in my studio in one fell swoop - 8 channel A/D, ADAT, 4 extra pres with 1176 style comps

Great feature set for the price, especially if conversion and pres are UA quality.

I have an API A2D, so would need to figure out a clocking set up, but it would give me a much better drum tracking setup!

Will watch this thread over the next few weeks!
Old 16th November 2010
so has this shipped yet? anyone actually seen & heard it? inquiring minds, want to know...
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Addict

Shipping

Week 1or 2 of Dec
We are taking preorders, and will sweeten things a bit for early birds!
After this batch it will be well after NAMM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
so has this shipped yet? anyone actually seen & heard it? inquiring minds, want to know...
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Nut

I can't find the 4-710d listed on your site. What is this deal sweetening you speak of?
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Nut

UA just added the manual on the 4-710d product page

http://www.uaudio.com/products/hardw...10d_Manual.pdf
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Maniac

This thing looks awesome and $2000 is a RIDICULOUS deal for all the features.

but this is why i'm very skeptical about it. The 710's go for $800. And now they make this box that has 4 710's, 4 compressors, and 8 channels of A/D conversion, for just $500/channel???

They had to cut corners somewhere...
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Addict

They haven't cut any corners. I got to check one out last week. solid
Old 20th November 2010
it's a very smart move of universal audio to offer such a packed product for $2k. i will bet they'll sell tons of these and will bet they'll outsell focusrite's is428 mkII.
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear
Having the fixed 1176 style comp and also a limiter on the AD are both great features IMO.

I currently have an API A2D, and assuming I can get decent resell I am looking at selling the A2D and getting the 4-710d and a 3124.

This would be a SWEET setup for drum tracking IMO.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Just got my demo unit in, i will post my thoughts in a couple days. build quality seems solid, not as solid as my UA8110 but great for the price.
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Addict

We just shipped the first of the 4-710Ds through the door today. So, they're coming through the pipeline now.
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2dpapi View Post
They haven't cut any corners. I got to check one out last week. solid
well i'd like to see if compared to the original 710 and maybe some decent converters. They went from offering 710's for $800/channel to $500 + onboard compression and A/D converters (not to mention 4 extra line-ins with converters).

Honestly, this is a KILLER deal, i couldn't believe it when i saw the price, i'm sure these will be incredibly popular even if there are some corners cut. But if this thing is the real deal and is right up to par with the single channel 710, and the converters are decent, then i'd be expecting/HOPING they drop the price of the single channel 710

Oh, and when i was watching the video and they said "no add-on A/D card", talk about a big "F*ck you!" to Focusrite, haha
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Maniac

weird just was talking about this in another post i had, i am definatley purchasing one of these for my rack
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear
This will be my first buy when i get a new spot next year and start recording drums. great all in one solution! Can't wait for the reviews on this! It just seems too good to be true!
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Really looking forward to hearing some real life feedback on here, not the magazine kind etc. I wonder what the converters are like?

Is this more of a prosumer product or will this make its way into working studios and maybe big name studios?

Seems like its gearded as an all in one for home project studios, which is great because thats what I am, I will probably end up selling some gear and pulling the trigger on one of these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search