The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

It kind of makes the single channel version seem like not such a good deal at $800.
Old 20th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
It kind of makes the single channel version seem like not such a good deal at $800.
i bet they'll drop the price.
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
i bet they'll drop the price.
That makes sense. If they add the compressor, it could be a winner.
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
that is probably the reason why they give a UAD2 solo with each for free (plus that they probably don't sell enough of the UAD2s).
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Nut

Still do not understand why focusrite(428), or universal audio does not put out something for da conversion to go along with these type of units.

Im in the middle of seriously changing my studio and the lack of da conversion for these type of units is the main reason why. I have an avocet for monitoring and focusrite 428 with the ad card. But just bought some outboard compressors. And the inserts on this product as well as my 428 make it perfect for easy outboard intergration for tracking ....but no F####ing da conversion for running outboard after ive already recorded.

Only products that sell just da conversion at a reasonable price is apoggee which i hear is annoying with a pc. After that im looking at either something way exspensive (lavry blue, mytek, etc), or getting aurora convertors. Then having the preamps with built in conversion makes no sense.

So PLEASE Universal Audio or focusrite(428,828) make a DA converter to go with this thing. Other wise i would rather get seventh circle and aurora.

You already have the technology just do it!!

Plases and thank you,
Old 26th October 2010
so why isn't there any announcement about this on the UA site? very surprising...
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Addict

Universal Audio Announces 4-710D Four-Channel Mic Preamp & DI w/ Dyamics | Analog and Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins | Universal Audio

Granted, that's the one from March. My Rep for UA contacted me with the release date. They usually do it like this. There will be plenty of fan-fare announcing it when it begins shipping.
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, sounds pretty damn good this far!
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Addict

We will be taking preorders on these

And will perhaps be offering a lil something to sweeten the deal.
Get a hold of us!
Old 26th October 2010
definitely excited about this one. it would fit really well into my studio.
Old 27th October 2010
2 questions:

1) is there a better picture of the back of the unit floating around???

2) so do I understand correctly that besides the 4 analog inputs into the pres, there are 4 additional inputs that go through the converters into the ADAT out? this would be similar to what the Focusrite 428 does. if so this will/could be very useful.
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
2 questions:

1) is there a better picture of the back of the unit floating around???

2) so do I understand correctly that besides the 4 analog inputs into the pres, there are 4 additional inputs that go through the converters into the ADAT out? this would be similar to what the Focusrite 428 does. if so this will/could be very useful.
Yes and Yes!

We have a posted on our site at this link that should be large enough to tell what everything is. It's not "electron microscope resolution", but should be sufficient. If not, PM me and I can email it to you in a larger file size.

You'll notice a quartet of 1/4 inch inputs next to the ADAT I/O. Those are Line-Ins 5-8 going to those channels of the converter.

Hope this helps!
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

That looks good! Any idea of the conversion quality? Also does it sum 8 to 2 then digi out?
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible T View Post
That looks good! Any idea of the conversion quality? Also does it sum 8 to 2 then digi out?
No. It is not a mixer or a summing amp. The digital converter is simply an 8-channel analog to digital converter; 8 analog inputs to 8 digital outputs via either AES/EBU on the DB25 output or via ADAT optical (this is not S/PDIF or Toslink compatible).

Also, nobody has heard the converters. However, pretty decent conversion is found in some cheap gear these days. That's not me saying that these converters are cheap. Nobody is saying that they will sound like the 2192 (much like nobody professed that the tube preamp part of the 710 would sound like the 610 - though this was, erroneously assumed). I think the safe assumption at this point is this: Universal Audio doesn't make junk.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Nut

Seeing the price makes me very happy, I hope I will be able to purchase this very soon. This is exactly what I have been looking for.
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi View Post
No. It is not a mixer or a summing amp. The digital converter is simply an 8-channel analog to digital converter; 8 analog inputs to 8 digital outputs via either AES/EBU on the DB25 output or via ADAT optical (this is not S/PDIF or Toslink compatible).

Also, nobody has heard the converters. However, pretty decent conversion is found in some cheap gear these days. That's not me saying that these converters are cheap. Nobody is saying that they will sound like the 2192 (much like nobody professed that the tube preamp part of the 710 would sound like the 610 - though this was, erroneously assumed). I think the safe assumption at this point is this: Universal Audio doesn't make junk.

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks!
Old 27th October 2010
Alan...

when I click on the link to the larger pics they are actually tiny. I'm using Safari. can you please post a link to the large pic directly?

thanks for the info. everything points to this being a great piece & I am looking forward to some hands-on reviews.

thanks
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible T View Post
Also, just to address this a little further, I dug into the press release and extracted this statement in it:

"While UA enjoys a reputation for classic hand-built analog equipment, we’re not content to live in the past," commented Universal Audio President Matt Ward. "The 4-710D is another example of us pushing forward, giving customers modern conveniences like high-quality digital outputs, and the ability to blend between tube and solid state tones — a feature not available anywhere else. "
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Alan...

when I click on the link to the larger pics they are actually tiny. I'm using Safari. can you please post a link to the large pic directly?

thanks for the info. everything points to this being a great piece & I am looking forward to some hands-on reviews.

thanks
Al, We took a look at it in Safari and we saw large images through and through.

Regardless, here is the image:
Attached Thumbnails
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics-4-710d_rear.jpg  
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Alan...

thanks
Absolutely! That's what we do here. I'll be sure to let you guys know what we think right away.
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, just to address this a little further, I dug into the press release and extracted this statement in it:

"While UA enjoys a reputation for classic hand-built analog equipment, we’re not content to live in the past," commented Universal Audio President Matt Ward. "The 4-710D is another example of us pushing forward, giving customers modern conveniences like high-quality digital outputs, and the ability to blend between tube and solid state tones — a feature not available anywhere else. "

Thanks again!
Old 28th October 2010
Quote:
Al, We took a look at it in Safari and we saw large images through and through.

Regardless, here is the image:
strange... well I can see this one great, thanks.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Put me on the list, I'm ready to buy this unit.
Old 30th October 2010
audioMIDI.com is currently taking pre orders for the 4-710D. We hope to have them in stock next week.
Old 30th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think it's got four full-on compressors... just very little control.

There is a GR position on the meter switch.

Do people like the 710's much?

This could be cool.

I like mine very much, goes well with my Distressor!
Old 1st November 2010
so it's OFFICIALLY announced. when is the ship date?
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Nut

Checked out a prototype recently. Sounds pretty sweet. The compressors take some getting used to, as there is no attack or release settings, but it would be cool for getting some saturation on certain sources. Overdriving this thing can sound really cool. Definitely a color piece for the most part, but would make a good all-rounder.
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalasini View Post
Checked out a prototype recently. Sounds pretty sweet. The compressors take some getting used to, as there is no attack or release settings, but it would be cool for getting some saturation on certain sources. Overdriving this thing can sound really cool. Definitely a color piece for the most part, but would make a good all-rounder.
Thanks for sharing! I kinda figured the compressor would be like that. But frankly, it should be still very useful. Though a good 1176 would be a wise additional investment to a studio with this for "tweezing" the right compression to taste for overdubs, vocals, etc, I would assume.
Old 4th November 2010
Hmm...someone mentioned earlier that UA was giving away UAD2 Solos with their 710s now to sweeten that deal up at $800. Can anyone confirm that or link me up to where I can find that deal?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search