The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Seeing this gives me hope that someday UA will finally bite the bullet and do what I've been begging them to do for years.

That would be in short order, to make a 16 or 24 channel recording and mixing solution. The closest comparison I can make is for UA to make there version of a studiolive or the zed-r consoles.

And since they have now shown a willingness to put out a non 2192 level converter it really could happen.

Short list of feature requests.

1= As I own and really love my 4110, use those pre's or better yet 2108's own one of those.

2= 4 channels of 2192 conversion, own one of those also.

3= Moving faders and recall

4= Make it a multi unit system ala paris,

5= Make it in the USA and let us pay for the quality.

The list goes on...

Please feel free to add what you would want and how much you would be willing to pay. I'd say it would have to be at least 10 grand probably more like 20 and that's fine.

It would be AWSOME!!!

What do YOU think?

G

I'd just be happy with an 8 channel 2192 (drop it from 192 to 96 if it cuts cost), with meters on each channel, NO PRES. Day one purchase.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
I'd just be happy with an 8 channel 2192 (drop it from 192 to 96 if it cuts cost), with meters on each channel, NO PRES. Day one purchase.
Yep looking at your web page I can see why.

But for many others who don't have such a nice spot, I really think something like this could just be the ticket. Call it a bridge into the higher end.

P.S. At one point a few years ago I owned 3 2192's and was gonna go for 4 into an appropriate interface, but then you know "the great recession" hit

G
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

4 x mic pres, 4 x limiters 4 x ADs..

I think we are looking more around $4K to $5K at least.
Old 6th June 2010
Gear Addict

to quote post 14: "price??? anybody???"
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.sicilian View Post
4 x mic pres, 4 x limiters 4 x ADs..

I think we are looking more around $4K to $5K at least.
Just going by the aesthetics of this unit, it looks more like their budget gear than their higher priced gear.

Also, it's 4 mic pres, 4 limiters, and 8 ADs.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Also, I have 4 channels of 500 series mic pres that this would pair with nicely, assuming the conversion is top notch. If it's anywhere close to the quality of the 2192, then I might look into this.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
Very interesting, but one thing I don't understand: why is there 8 channels of conversion if it's only a 4 channel box?
S/MUX capability to 192K I guess.... I think it looks pointed to the project studio...
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

anyone got any news on this? recently got my focusrite isa 428 stolen...so i'd be up for holding out with my old octopre for the mean time to see the asking price for this....

anyone know anything else?

:D
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

"The 4-710D is expected to be released worldwide in Q3 2010; Pricing remains TBD."

They have three months. I'm interested, too.
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Considering this was supposed to be out about now, I wonder why I cannot find any reviews anywhere.........and still no list price. Anyone know why?
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

They still have three weeks or so to make the 3rd quarter.

For me, this is another one of those interest lost from too early an announcement threads.

A price would be nice, though.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Not only am I interested... I would jump all over it at the right price
Old 8th September 2010
Gear Addict

We will have it. Perhaps we may help you!
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

If it is over $2k, I am going to go for a Seventh Circle kit. And if they don't hurry up and indicate price I might go and buy the SCA anyway.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

So I bought something that may end up better than the Twin Finity anyway. I got an SPL Gainstation 1, which has little coverage on this site. I wonder if their US marketing is poor?
Old 15th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
So I bought something that may end up better than the Twin Finity anyway. I got an SPL Gainstation 1, which has little coverage on this site. I wonder if their US marketing is poor?
I imagine the Gainstation 1 is a nice pre-amp, but it doesn't seem like a substitution for the UA 4-710 at all: it's one channel (versus 4), and doesn't have dynamics included. The Gainstation is actually a bit pricey for a single channel pre (I'm seeing $1300-ish). That's considerably more than the $800 for the original single-channel Twin-Finity.

Anyway I hope you will post your impressions of the SPL unit once you've used it a bit, as you said they don't get mentioned much.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Well, for me, I wanted high gain, low noise and relatively transparent with the option to add a bit of tube warmth. I think they both offer that? And with the SPL, I can build up to 4 in a rack, and I got it used for £550 with the rack unit and carry case. So the price was in line with a 710 but 4 of them at that price used is likely to be loads cheaper than a new 4-710?
Old 16th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Well, for me, I wanted high gain, low noise and relatively transparent with the option to add a bit of tube warmth. I think they both offer that? And with the SPL, I can build up to 4 in a rack, and I got it used for £550 with the rack unit and carry case. So the price was in line with a 710 but 4 of them at that price used is likely to be loads cheaper than a new 4-710?
Sounds like you got a great deal.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Nut

Any updates on this??
Old 7th October 2010
i see this as a nice summing box. i just hope the price is right.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Nut

This might go next to my isa 428 with the converters if the price is right.

Hopefully focusrite or UA will make a da converter to go along with it though. Seems weird they have the technology sitting right there for the ad converters and dont just make a two rack unit that could fit two eight channel da cards??

Maybe the chips or whatever are so different they cant use the same technology. I have no idea.

Does anyone know if the convertors on the UA will be replacable like the focusrite cards so you can stick with the preamps and upgrade converters over time???
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

Just got the word: Finally shipping in November.

$1995 Street.

The converters are built-in and not a separate unit, which makes for a very nice overall value when considering the 4-channels of 1176-style compression.
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

1995$ with converters ?
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

I've got an original 710 and I like it a lot. Pretty versatile little bugger. I wonder how different the circuit will be adapting it to this version (other than the comps), and how close the "1176 style" comes to their current real 1176. I suppose we won't find out until someone gets nerdy enough to do some a/b listening and pull it apart...
Old 11th October 2010
i am curious about the quality of the converter. any info?
Old 20th October 2010
If the price of this is actually about $2000, that would be unbelievable... It would honestly be the best deal in a long ass time!
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
If the price of this is actually about $2000, that would be unbelievable... It would honestly be the best deal in a long ass time!
No kidding! I can't wait to read some reviews.
Old 20th October 2010
Universal audio announces 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynami

Will this have Adat option for hooking to a bla002 and 3124? It would be awesome to put in-between the two.
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAulayK View Post
Will this have Adat option for hooking to a bla002 and 3124? It would be awesome to put in-between the two.
We posted photos of it here along with all the other info:
Universal Audio 4-710D

But to answer your question: Yes. It includes BOTH ADAT I/O, AES/EBU connectivity via DB25, and Word Clock I/O.

It also has balanced Insert Sends and Returns for each mic pre/dynamics channel.

They really did a fantastic job with the design.
Old 20th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy108 View Post
This might go next to my isa 428 with the converters if the price is right.
exactly my thought & it looks like the price is right...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search