The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio 4-710d four-channel “twin-finity” mic preamp & di w/ dynamics Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salivan View Post
Hello everybody.
First post here.

Maybe someone already asked this, but I really wont read 10 pages...
It's maybe some kinda noob question, but I'm a noob. Starting to record things now.

So, here's the deal:
I have a M-Audio Profire 2626. I wanna buy this 4-710d. I need 11 channels, I would usethe 4 channels of the 4-710d and 7 channels of the profire.
But the profire only have 8 inputs, but have the ADAT in though.
My question is: Will I be able to use the 4-710d via ADAT and "create" 4 new channels, and the profire would be like it has 12 channels ?
Hope I was clear enough, my english is not good, I'm sorry..
Would appreciate if someone can help me, thanks already...
Yes. Inside your DAW you'll need to probably setup an additional 8 inputs in the I/O setup routed through the ADAT inputs. This would be in addition to your Analog Inputs 1-8, and Analog Outputs 1-8. Though the 4-710D only has 4 preamp/dynamics channels, you still have an additional 4-channels of Analog Line Input (going to Analog to Digital converters channels 5-8) on the rear of the 4-710 D.

Hope this helps!
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpi View Post
Yes. Inside your DAW you'll need to probably setup an additional 8 inputs in the I/O setup routed through the ADAT inputs. This would be in addition to your Analog Inputs 1-8, and Analog Outputs 1-8. Though the 4-710D only has 4 preamp/dynamics channels, you still have an additional 4-channels of Analog Line Input (going to Analog to Digital converters channels 5-8) on the rear of the 4-710 D.

Hope this helps!
Yes it did help!
Thanks a lot man ;D
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharzb View Post
As promised I did some fast samples of tube/trans knob (preamps itself will be tested during the week):

1st take is original (U87+API312) and then next two are pair with gain(2) and out(8), one inphase is trans, one outphase is tube. And the second pair the same rule but gain(3) and out(7). More gain did more distorsion so I didn't go above 3.

Summing two channels clearly shows whats the difference between them (what You hear is what differs both takes)

You can sum up/listen by yourself. But again what for one is "subtle" for another is "dramatic" difference.

During the following week I can make comparison of some crappy (as one mentioned) preamps so again You will have a chance to hear the difference (or not - trust Your ears not design) - if anybody is interested (are there any?)
Thank you for your time and review!

I read all the pages and, no one has answer or comment about this tests..
Thats because he has his point and maybe its not what you guys wanna hear?

Sorry, Im just an observer...

Sorry my english...

Thank you all, this is a great place for discussion...
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear
Just doing some prep for a drum session tomorrow, and channel 3 looks to have gone bust on mic input - no response from the VU no sound, nada. The channel seems ok using the front Hi-Z input, so it looks like it's specifically down to the mic input only.

I'm also starting to hear glitches on each channel with gain around 2.5 - there is a noticable jump in level.

It's such a nice piece too, and the build quality looked great :(
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
It's such a nice piece too, and the build quality looked great :(
Wow! In all of your posts you said that it was a nice piece og hardware...
are you not happy anymore?

I have a Saffire Pro 40 and want to upgrade a couple of pres...

I was between an API A2D or this UA... what will be your call?
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercraft View Post
Wow! In all of your posts you said that it was a nice piece og hardware...
are you not happy anymore?

I have a Saffire Pro 40 and want to upgrade a couple of pres...

I was between an API A2D or this UA... what will be your call?
I have to go with the A2D, i've had it 4 years and it's just fantastic, rock solid and no problems. The 4-710D sounds great, but having a full channel go inexplicably makes it hard to recommend in good conscience, especially when other people have had similar issues.

I've decided I'm going to save up for a Allen & Heath GSR-24M in any case, and sell most of my current setup
Old 2nd August 2011
Gear Head

Thank you very much man!
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Nut

hey all, i've been looking into this product for a while and just noticed something that i was curious about. there was a bit of an argument in this thread about whether the tube preamp was simply a "buffer" between the solid state amp and the output or whether these are two separate amps acting independently. well, i noticed that the block diagrams of the twinfinity preamp and the 4-710D look quite different. the twinfinity certainly appears to have two independent preamps which are summed immediately afterwards, however it appears that the signal in the 710D first hits the solid state amp and doesn't even touch the tube amp until after the filters and the solid state compressor, without the aid of an attenuator. am i reading this correctly? (i'm not exactly an electronics wiz.) oh, and before anybody gets mad, i'm not trying to say that this has any undesirable consequences, negative sonic impacts or anything of the sort. i'm simply trying to understand the nature of this box, and perhaps gain a little understanding of block diagrams in the process. so is it a solid state preamp with the ability to pass a little of the signal through a tube?
thanks
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Nut

I'd like to know the answer to that as well . The UA site claims that it is the exact same 710 ( but 4 of them )
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Head

I had two units blow up on me...really wanted to love it.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Just need a simple no s%$t answer, right now I use an ART Pro MPA II with JJ Gold Pin tubes in it. Will this be a more intimate, present sound or not? I need to get better sound but I'm on a very tight budget so more bang is better. I'm also looking at a 2-610 which I know is a better preamp, but only 2 channel so if I go with the extra 2 channels at a quality cut will I be sorry?

Thanks.
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Head

i red the posts from begining
very interested by the 4-710 i first got some demo on youtube ...
first thing that bothered me was i really could hearing NOTHING from trans to tube ..

that video with vocal, gtr, bass i heard nothing at all except on the speech saying blabla about the unit. just a very little tiny subtle difference.
for the rest, was funny to see the guy turning the knob doing nothing at all.

so i search for HD videos and found nothing great. so i red aaaall the posts here and that's only at page 11 ! you read from guys saying that
Quote:
I can't tell much difference between the solid state and tube settings
:P caman i red posts saying lots of colors .. both of two worlds... i use positions between this or that
from 0% to 100% i hear nothing (i'm ok to say i'm deaf) but you really find difference at 70% ?
+ the compressor that is more decorative and some units having problems i changed my mind.
i won't have the chance to test it so i have to make up my mind on reading :p i know it's no fun but thx to kucharzb i found your analyse very good and will put little more on little less for the good of sound.
Old 20th November 2011
Gear Head

Would anybody buy UA 4-710d over the API 3124+ ???
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by espennor View Post
Would anybody buy UA 4-710d over the API 3124+ ???
I'm planning on it at the moment! Anyone have some real insight into this question?
Old 8th January 2012
Here for the gear

any body have first hand experience of these overheating/burning up/drying out like the ISA428's notoriously do? the 4-710 boasts way more features and circuitry than a 428 and there's no sign of a heat sink either.

I'm seriously interested one (or two) of these considering their range of capabilities, but I'd like to know its going to last longer than a few years.
Old 6th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyLane View Post
any body have first hand experience of these overheating/burning up/drying out like the ISA428's notoriously do?
I've had a 428 for almost 5 years with no issues FWIW...
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear
Happy to say my channel issues with my 4-710d are no longer - the issue was the mic/line on Channel 3 switch was dirty and not making contact.

All working now (actually forgot about this thread, been fine for a couple of months now!), much happier, have had some nice drum sounds as follows:

API A2D (no converter, line in to channels 5,6 of 4-710d) - OverHeads
4-710d Mics - Kick, Snare, RackTom, Floor Tom - Fast Compression with levels set to for around 1-2db compression on hardest hits, just to level things out a bit.
Two room mics are coming from my Edirol UA-1000 preamps to inputs 7-8.

The 4-710d's limiter is engaged, but never really get's hit, it's pretty transparent though on the odd aoccasion i've hit it (vocals), nice safety blanket.

ADAT out to the UA-1000 inputs all at 44.1K using the 4-710d converters.
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharzb View Post
- TUBE KNOB - expected some nice tube character but: I turned the knob all the time left/right and to be honest the difference is so subtle that this knob is completely useless. The idea of having tube/solid state stage was to have some clean and fast character of solidstate and nice warm/thick/fat from tube - the trick is that the tube stage is NOT a tube preamp - the signal comes to solidstate preamp first then it is split to solidstate and tube buffer and summed in output - so if You want some nice tube drive/warm/whatever - forget it! The only drive you can have is by turning the gain up and overdrive solid state preamp stage. To test what the tube is "adding" to signal we sent identical signal to two channels of UA, inverted the phase on one of them, and set the gains so we got perfect cancellation (no signal in the speakers) and then moved the tube knob on one of them all the way right. AND? And basically - nothing - only some high-midrange harshness - absolutely no differences in the low end/no warm/no drive :( - which prooves that the tube stage is only on marketing side.
Hi there.
I had the opportunity to have a shoot-out between this unit , a Crane Song flamingo and a Rupert Neve design 5024 and before getting into which I prefered I must say I am quite surprised by your "measuring result" when it comes to the tube.....
I am not a guy who connects my gear to a oscilliscope before listening to it so I don't know what sound "looks like" or whatever BUT when using my ears it's pretty clear that the tube-knob DOES something. I am sorry but if you can't hear the difference then....I think you might wanna go and have your hearing checked...;-)
Anyway, I didn't try the A/D's but alot of people in here have so no need to go into that.
I recorded an acoustic guitar, shaker, tambourine and saxophone in stereo using a pair of SE 4400 (414-fakes) and through the Flamingo (mine) the all sounded smooth and clear. The guitar a bit on the "weakish" side but still bloody good.
The neve 5024 sounded as smooth and clear as the Flamingo but with an added fist...;-) Punch that will make it claim its space in the mix.
Compared to these , more expensive ofcourse so maybe not a very fair comparison, I'd have to say that the 4-710 sounded kind of harsh...
The all transistor-mode just felt dull and lacklustre on all instruments and that mid-harshness appeared on the acoustic that becomes more and more pregnant the lower in price you go (with exceptions, ofcourse). The saxophone sounded ....strangled....like it was playing in a vacuum.
When I turned the tube to full things got better.
The guitar was smoother, rounder and the top got glitz-ier. The tambourine and shaker sounded better than through the other 2 pre's. Like they were over driven. Got more body. The sax still sounded kind of cramped.

So, this is an unfair comparison but since I got to choose between these pre's I am definatley buying the 5024. If I didn't have my apogee converters then maybe the 4-710 would have been a great sollution but since I am just in need of really good pre's then there's nothing to think about.

Anybody wanna buy my Flamingo? ;-)
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

Hello all, i'm looking for a little help with my ears. This is not my first rodeo. But, I just picked up a 4-710d and i love it. However, i am not noticing much of a difference in the sound of tube/solid state. Is this just a "takes time to see the difference" thing? I am running through NS-10's and am barely hearing any type of difference. Can someone with some experience on this unit give me a heads up on how to hear the difference?
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

Let me correct myself. Once i played the same section of music through the 4710d for about 30 minutes straight, and then i turned the knob from Tube to Trans i noticed a considerable difference. I love the unit, it just takes time to understand its capabilities
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I used the 4710 on toms a lot, and I find that is where I can hear the tube/ss difference the easiest. The tom resonance was the first "aha" moment for me with that knob.
Old 27th October 2012
So I am debating snapping up this and a uad2 quad with the jrr shop 15% discount special right now. All for $1700!

To do this I would have to sell my Daking iv for a similar price. I already have one quad, a neve 1073, API 312, mytek converters, and a real 1176.

Thoughts?
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
So I am debating snapping up this and a uad2 quad with the jrr shop 15% discount special right now. All for $1700!

To do this I would have to sell my Daking iv for a similar price. I already have one quad, a neve 1073, API 312, mytek converters, and a real 1176.

Thoughts?
Yes, thoughts.
Thoughts:NO!
I did an a/b with a 4 channel Neve Portico and it never came close , no matter what I recorded through it.
Also the build quality reflects the price ....feels cheap.
But the bottom line is that it doesn't really sound good.
Sorry...=/

Edit:Just to clarify...I REALLY wanted the UA to be better because that'd have saved me some cash but no...
Old 27th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post

Thoughts?
please do not sell the daking, it´s one of the most versatile pres out there.
Old 5th November 2012
Does the dual ADAT allow for 96k input?
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

i bought the universal audio 710 twin fin do i just run a XLR from the output of the 710 to an input of the saffire? would the preamp of the 710 conflict with the preamps in the saffire or do i run a xlr from the ua to trs 1/4 inch into the interface or 24.8 jackie
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't seem like the original hit it out of the park so I'm a little curious about the move to expand the line.....
I apologize if this has already been ventured in this thread but perhaps this is a bid to get rid of excess component inventory with what they hope will be an irresistible deal for relatively inexpensive multiple channels?

This is pure speculation, and not meant as a slam on UA. I have some of their products and am happy with them, and do not have experience with the Twinfinity, though I've also noted a lack of enthusiasm for them among reviewers, which--who knows?--conceivably may have translated into them wanting to re-purpose the parts.
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborboy420 View Post
i bought the universal audio 710 twin fin do i just run a XLR from the output of the 710 to an input of the saffire? would the preamp of the 710 conflict with the preamps in the saffire or do i run a xlr from the ua to trs 1/4 inch into the interface or 24.8 jackie
XLR out of 710 into a 1/4-inch balanced TRS LINE (not DI or instrument) input of the Saffire.
Old 19th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborboy420 View Post
Or run via ADAT.

After a mic level signal is sent through a pre-amp, its brought up to line level and to be sent into the line level input of the receiving device via 1/4" connector.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Any more feedback on the 4-710? Does it sound better than an $500 octopre in solid state mode?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search