The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'The boulder' 3 way monitor Studio Monitors
Old 12th May 2012
  #31
I don't even want to hear the Boulders. I love my five Rocks so much that I don't need to have the temptation to get a pair for my main L/R monitors.
Old 12th May 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

The monitors look good and from all indications, sound wonderful. What's the big console behemoth on the left? Looks great!
Old 15th May 2012
  #33
Gear Nut
 

Decca valve console

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
The monitors look good and from all indications, sound wonderful. What's the big console behemoth on the left? Looks great!
Hi, the console is an all-valve recording console built by London Decca in the 60s.

It sounds great and was rebuilt a few years ago...there are some pics on the Rimshot build thread if you want a bit more info!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...dio-build.html

Cheers,

Mike
Rimshot Studio - boutique recording and mixing
Old 3rd June 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
C//AZM's Avatar
 

Now that's a great hour I spent watching your studio come together! It looks like a very comfortable place to relax and get some great tracks done. As others have said, I'm jealous but in a good way.
Old 8th June 2012
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
Now that's a great hour I spent watching your studio come together! It looks like a very comfortable place to relax and get some great tracks done. As others have said, I'm jealous but in a good way.
Wow, thanks for the kind words!
Old 13th June 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 

I see someone has replaced their s3a's with the boulder. I am thinking about replacing mine too. What were the differences between the two that made you switch? I am also thinking about the s3x-h's and if those would be better than the boulder. Anyone with any experience there?
Old 13th June 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I see someone has replaced their s3a's with the boulder. I am thinking about replacing mine too. What were the differences between the two that made you switch? I am also thinking about the s3x-h's and if those would be better than the boulder. Anyone with any experience there?
S3X is a completely different monitor to the S3A, vastly improved in every aspect. Check the SX thread out on here quite a few pick them over the likes of ATC & Barefoot.

Despite both using ribbon type technology both use completely different designs so probably present things allot different to each other. Though from reports boulder sounds more mid forward and don't go as deep, but it would be impossible to say which you would like personally based on opinions of each monitor from individuals.
Old 17th June 2012
  #38
jfr
Here for the gear
 

Boulders (unity audio)

It has to be said that as a speaker for mixing on the Bouldrs are amazing and as said before brutally honest. I have had them on trial for 3 weeks and love them. Well done Kevin
Old 24th June 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

Do you guys have enough low end with boulders? No need for sub?
I am asking because I'm seriously considering buying them and what I would like to have is NO NEED FOR SUBWOOFER.
Alternatively I'm considering Focal sm9s. On paper they have better low end response (go down to 30 Hz against boulders' 39 Hz).
Old 24th June 2012
  #40
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
Do you guys have enough low end with boulders? No need for sub?
I am asking because I'm seriously considering buying them and what I would like to have is NO NEED FOR SUBWOOFER.
Alternatively I'm considering Focal sm9s. On paper they have better low end response (go down to 30 Hz against boulders' 39 Hz).
Yes, there is very good low end extention but that's not the only consideration, equally as important is the quality of the low end,the delivery. The boulders have a very fast transient response that reveals dynamics and helps judge compression characteristics for example, and being a sealed cabinet bass is portrayed for more accurately that a ported enclousure.

It's impossible to say for you and your setup a sub would be neccessary, it's such a personal thing and room size and acoustics will have an say in this too possibly. Some customers feel they don't need a sub, but I know some will but this isn't down to any short comings of the Boulder, as a say it's a personal preference and the only way for you to decide is to try them in your room.
If you are interested in a demo let me know and I can try and arrange this through our new forthcoming Polish dealer.
Old 25th June 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

We are already in touch with MBS. They say the first units will arrive in two.weeks. Cant wait to hear them in my studio. Cheers
Old 2nd July 2012
  #42
Here for the gear
 

Has anyone spent some time mastering with these yet?
Old 22nd October 2012
  #43
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 

Unity audio - avalanche sub-woofer

News about the Unity Audio Avalanche sub-woofer at this location!!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ub-woofer.html
Old 2nd December 2012
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimshot View Post
Thought this mini review I posted on the other boulder thread was relevant...
Old 19th February 2013
  #45
Gear Addict
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 

Queens of the Stone Age/unity audio rocks & boulders

Wow!!

Totally thrilled to have Queens of the Stone Age on board using both Rocks & Boulders for their new forth coming album!! I'm a huge QOTSA fan and Josh never gives quotes lightly so a big thanks to him and we're all very honoured at Unity Audio to be involved.

Josh dug The Rocks when English engineer Mark Rankin raved about them to Josh when he turned up to start tracking so a pair were duly sent to Josh's Pink Duck Studios, a pair of Boulders were soon added too. Tracking and mixing all done on Rocks & Boulders.



"The Unity Audio Rock Studio Monitors have been a fantastic addition to Pink Duck Studios. The imaging is fantastic. They have a bottom end that belies their size & a smooth modern top. The result is true detail with a wide depth of field and I don't get any surprises when I take mixes out of the studio. Hell, mixes sounds the same at home and in the car, just like they did in the studio on the Rocks. That kind of consistency and accuracy is all I care about."

"As for the Boulders... They're the exact speaker I needed. The power & the punch of a large studio main, stuffed in cabinets the size of the modern, real world recording studio. That big bottom end you'd expect, but not at the expense of precious midrange. Accurate details abound."

Joshua Homme – Queens of the Stone Age
Attached Thumbnails
'The boulder' 3 way monitor-qotsa-v4-pr-gearslutz-1.jpg  
Old 21st February 2013
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Wow!!

Totally thrilled to have Queens of the Stone Age on board using both Rocks & Boulders for their new forth coming album!! I'm a huge QOTSA fan and Josh never gives quotes lightly so a big thanks to him and we're all very honoured at Unity Audio to be involved.

Josh dug The Rocks when English engineer Mark Rankin raved about them to Josh when he turned up to start tracking so a pair were duly sent to Josh's Pink Duck Studios, a pair of Boulders were soon added too. Tracking and mixing all done on Rocks & Boulders.



"The Unity Audio Rock Studio Monitors have been a fantastic addition to Pink Duck Studios. The imaging is fantastic. They have a bottom end that belies their size & a smooth modern top. The result is true detail with a wide depth of field and I don't get any surprises when I take mixes out of the studio. Hell, mixes sounds the same at home and in the car, just like they did in the studio on the Rocks. That kind of consistency and accuracy is all I care about."

"As for the Boulders... They're the exact speaker I needed. The power & the punch of a large studio main, stuffed in cabinets the size of the modern, real world recording studio. That big bottom end you'd expect, but not at the expense of precious midrange. Accurate details abound."

Joshua Homme – Queens of the Stone Age

Great Great News! Congrats. Really glad to hear this.
Velvet
Old 21st February 2013
  #47
Lives for gear
 
lowland's Avatar
For those interested, here are my Audio Media reviews of the Rock II and Boulder:

Rock II
http://www.lowlandmasters.com/wp-con...udspeakers.pdf

Boulder
http://www.lowlandmasters.com/wp-con...udspeakers.pdf

I have no business affiliation with Unity.
Old 23rd February 2013
  #48
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
[...]This is maybe not a speaker for classical music purists, but I suspect it’s not aimed at that user group anyway.[...]

If I want to listen to classical music?
Have I to choose another product?
Old 24th February 2013
  #49
Lives for gear
 
lowland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiLindo View Post
[...]This is maybe not a speaker for classical music purists, but I suspect it’s not aimed at that user group anyway.[...]

If I want to listen to classical music?
Have I to choose another product?
Only you will know the answer to that once you've listened to the Boulders.
Old 19th April 2013
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
bakerman's Avatar
 

Have had The Boulders for a few months now and been using them everyday. I record/mix a variety of stuff; rock, dance, pop and acoustic. Where the Boulder's shine is in making decisions quickly. References mixes are easier to decipher...if the kick and bass are flamming you'll hear it. The detail on reverbs/ambience is a huge highlight for me and can confidently apply/shape ambiences and know when it's enough. If a snare has a tuning issue or you want to hear an extended low end...the information is there.

When creating music, the honesty may not be for everyone but they do help choosing the right sounds from the start. Feedback on my mixes has never been better and mix revisions from clients have been minimal and usually taken care of in a few minutes. Very glad I got these. I'm not endorsed by Unity Audio, just thought I'd get back with some real life feedback for anyone considering them.
Old 19th April 2013
  #51
Gear Head
 

Are they valid for mastering?
Old 18th May 2013
  #52
Here for the gear
 

A couple of months ago I decided to spend a lot of money on new professional monitors for my studio. After researching, reading about and listening to lots of different monitors I finally decided on Unity Audio's The Boulder and their stands the three legged Monolith. Before I bought them I had a chance to do an A-B test against Barefoot MM27, unfortunately not in my own room but anyway, I had a pretty good reference.

I received the shipment four days ago and I'm very happy! They sound amazing right out of the box and they are very beautiful to look at. You don't need 200 hours of burn in time before they sound good, as you do with some other monitors (Focal).

The Monolith stands are a piece of work to install, heavy as hell and since I filled them with sand the weight went up another 3 kg/each to a total of 33 kg/each!

I'm driving the Boulder's with Universal Audio Apollo Quad and Vovox Sonorus cables.

In my room I have them very close to the back wall, 0.1m (which is covered with absorbers) and about 1.2m from side walls. This gives a nice bass response but not too much. My room is 4,8m long and 3,7m wide and my listening position is about 38% of length. The speakers are about 1,4m apart and 1,4m from my ears. The room is treated with bass-traps and diffusers of my own design.

They sound much more balanced than the VXT8's that I had before. I definitely don't need a subwoofer. I thought they would sound a bit bass-light compared to the vented design but that's not gonna be a problem. Detail is fantastic. The mid/hi is way better than most speakers I've heard. They come together in a very good way due to what I think is the concentric design. I don't hear the phase anomalies you normally hear in 3 way speakers. Something that was very apparent when I compared them to the MM27's.

Listening to old mixes is not that much fun, because what I thought sounded really good in the VXT8's, now sounds flat and uninteresting. So the Boulders are revealing all the shortcomings of the lesser quality monitor. The VXT8's needed to be played rather loud to open up. This is not an issue with the Boulders, they sound just as good on a lower volume.

The only issue I've come across so far, is when you play bass-heavy music on a higher volume, the woofers max out quiet easily. This might not be a monitor for hip-hop and electronica producers who likes to “feel the bass”. Don't get me wrong they deliver a lot of low end and they go very deep, just not at arena levels. The MM27's were much better at dealing with low end on a higher volume.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know them over the next couple of weeks. But it felt as if I know them pretty good only after an hour of listening.

Thanks Kevin Walker and Unity Audio, for blessing the world with good sounding equipment and for providing me with a tool that hopefully is gonna make me produce better sounding music than I was able to do before.

Johan
Old 23rd March 2014
  #53
Gear Head
 

No other owner?
Old 23rd March 2014
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Apparently not. Speaking for myself, I bought a pair of The Rock IIs over several other contenders and could not be happier.
Sadly I am in France till the end of the month and the Rocks are still in the UK.
Cant wait to get back and see what the stuff I have recorded here on mobile rig sounds like.

Make no mistake, the Rocks are honest.
I would assume no less of the Boulders.
If you are in the UK you can likely get a loaner pair to try in your room, as well.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Kevlar / So much gear, so little time
298
amyjenson / Mastering forum
26
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
TapeOp / So much gear, so little time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump