The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
don't gate drums, duck Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you're using Cubase, another similar trick is to use the Detect Silence on your kick/snare/toms tracks. Using this function, you can control manually what happens before, during and after the hits.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Wow... what an unusually cool, clean, non-violent thread heh

For all pre Cubase 4 users (Nuendo 3 I think), you CAN do sidechain.

there is a trick where you set up a 4.0 (not 5.1) track feeding only 2.0 to master buss, and have stuff chained.

I didnt see the video, not much time right now, if this isnt a cool video, look around!

YouTube - SIDECHAIN TUTORIAL in Cubase SX
Old 24th March 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
If you're using Cubase, another similar trick is to use the Detect Silence on your kick/snare/toms tracks. Using this function, you can control manually what happens before, during and after the hits.
Nice tip!thumbsup
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I never gate/duck kicks or snares. It doesn't sound natural and makes records sound like they're from the 80s.
thanks god someone said this!
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
thanks god someone said this!
if you downward expand a copied track ..you get clean verb and efx to send and more level/edge without bleed..mixed in with original it's sweet..esp on snare when the player lays into the hat
Old 29th March 2010
Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I never gate/duck kicks or snares. It doesn't sound natural and makes records sound like they're from the 80s.
L.I.O.

Just curious, are the samples on your site just wide open then? I mean, did you trim up the toms tracks etc., by cutting out everything but the hits?

I don't hear them ringing in the mix. Cool and different sound to those drums.

Cool tunes also, but I find the statement above kinda ironic.

The first sample on your site (even though I like it a lot)? Those guitar lines are as 1980's as it comes IMO. Ala, "I ran" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" without the delay. It's no different to what was called "new wave" at one time.

Not knocking it either, keep in mind, I said I like the music on your site, it's great.

Maybe the 80's are in fact back, and I'm just getting friggin' old.

Maybe you meant late 80's Metal drum sounds? Not a fan of those drum sounds either.

I like the 1970's era better.

To stay on topic though, I gate drums all the time, unless it is Jazz or something. I also sidechain all the time too.
This has been going on forever, hence 70's dynamites and stuff having sidechains.

Great to talk about it though, cool ideas here.
Thanks!
J
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Don't gate drums, Duck.

Who you callin' a Duck?
Never been to Nottingham then, duck?
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
I try not to gate the track at all. What i WILL gate almost all the ime is the send to the snare verb and tom verbs Keeping all that stuff out of the reverbs often is all you need to do.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

There is another really cool trick if anybody wants to try it, this is what I use.

Say, in the kick track there is '5' of kick drum and '1' of snare (this is just ratios), and you want to lose the snare, obviously.

Take a duplicate of the track, and send the output of it, and the original, to a bus. This is where you will put EQs etc.

So now you have 2 tracks with the kick on.

On the second track, get a heavy compressor (Audio Damage Roughrider is good!) and absolutely compress the hell out of it. Fast attack slow release, max ratio, threshold to -40 -50 if it goes that far! Just completely flatten it.

Now you have 2 tracks, one compressed one not. If we say that you now have, in total, '6' of kick drum and '2' of snare, as the kick drum level on that second track has been reduced to that of the snare.

Now, flip the phase on the second track.

This means, you now have '4' of kick and '0' of snare. Use a bit of gain on the bus where they're joined together and the kick is back at 5 but still no snare.

Adjusting the levels between the out of phase track and the in phase track allows you to control the intensity of the phasing effect.

It's a cool trick and works just like a gate, except without the sharpness and 'chattering' of a gate.
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

Listen and learn

https://youtu.be/lWPgaHkhISQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatjim View Post
This may be an old trick, but I did not find any other posts that mentioned it.

I was working on a drum track, and the kick would hum everytime the snare was hit. All attempts at setting a gate failed(chattering, or kick sounded too choked), I even tried the Key input, with radical EQ.

In the past, I would edit the track manually in pro-tools, to cut out the noise, but thought that there had to be a better way.

My 1st attempt was to use DINR. I sampled a snare hit, and used it to process the kick track. it did a decent job.

My next attempt worked MUCH better, and I have to wonder why I never thought of it before.
I set up a compressor on the kick as a DUCKER. feeding the snare into the Key(sidechain) input, it ducks the kick track everytime the snare hits.

After bouncing the track, I had to make 2 corrections where the kick and snare hit at the same time, then I was done. it did a GREAT job, no chattering and EASY to set up.

This little trick will save me Hours of editing. hope it helps someone else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search