The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River 32Q or Arsenal/JDK v14 Eq? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Great River 32Q or Arsenal/JDK v14 Eq?

So, I'm going to be picking up a new eq next week. I've been looking at both the Arsenal/JDK and Great River for a little while now. So I thought I'd see if anyone has both? I know the Great River has already received a lot of praise here. I'm looking for a good all around eq. Main uses will be vocals,guitars, bass and kick or snare. I'm leaning towards the Great River because of the filters, but I'd love to hear some feedback good or bad.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody??
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Seems like everyone is pretty happy w/ the Great River so far. I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 25th March 2010
I've never used the Great River, but I have a pair of the Arsenals. They're pretty useful in general, but I wouldn't say they shine on anything. They just don't have a ton of vibe except when cutting or boosting at the extreme ranges. This is why I do particularly like them on Rhodes and Wurly. Besides that, I've enjoyed them on kick and snare. They've faired fairly well on bass. Vocals..like I said they don't have a ton of vibe, and that's mostly what I look for on anything I patch in on a vocal, so I haven't really used them much there. I got my pair for $800, which is why I bought them in the first place...well that and the fact that Richard Dodd really likes them. Once I got them, they grew on me. I ended up using them more than my 560s, so I ended up selling the 560s (which I am regretting a bit, though I'm very glad I still have my Arsenals).

Anyway, I'm in Nashville as well, so if you want to borrow mine for a session let me know.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah at that price I definitely wouldn't have passed up the Arsenals. I may take you up on that offer sometime. I'm going to order the Great River next week. They make great stuff, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
Old 27th March 2010
500 series nutjob

i have both, the V-14 are what i would call somewhat natural colored.
they do not rely impart a color but do their job. i think they are great EQs
the Great River Harrison 31 EQs come across as somewhat transparent, but they do have a MOJO, they are sweet and musical EQs.

the Harrison 31 EQs are a bit more versatile and bring a couple cool features to the table.
try em both, see what you like: )~
pan
Old 27th March 2010
You're in Nashville, I'm sure one of the many rental companies (Gear for Days, Blackbird, Rack-N-Roll) can find you one of each and you can hear them for yourself. Unless you buy new from a place that will take returns if you don't love the Great River, I'd be a little weary about dropping that kind of coin without using it first hand.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Pan and Sean. Pan, I thought I remembered you having both. Thanks for the input. Sean, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I've rented gear from Blackbird and Gear For Days before, definitely an option.
Old 28th March 2010
500 series nutjob

i like both EQs so trying them for your self would absolutely be the best bet.
sometimes its not so easy to do, but if you can swing it i would.
let us know what you come up with.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

i have four of the harrisons and two of the 550b's in my 500 eq collection. i love them
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Great River 32C EQ

I've never heard the Arsenal but I am very happy with the pair of the 32C I have. Owing a Harrison desk in the past I have a reference and the new once sound better! Same but better...
Old 28th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
So, I'm going to be picking up a new eq next week. I've been looking at both the Arsenal/JDK and Great River for a little while now. So I thought I'd see if anyone has both? I know the Great River has already received a lot of praise here. I'm looking for a good all around eq. Main uses will be vocals,guitars, bass and kick or snare. I'm leaning towards the Great River because of the filters, but I'd love to hear some feedback good or bad.
The 32EQ is a "hearty" sounding equalizer. The character it has is priceless, by my watch, but I would also suggest it is a very clean, and open sound that does not hinder depth or tone/dimension no matter what you are doing with it. The V14, doesn't really have much appealing character. Its nice sounding, but bringing nothing to the party per say. That could be good, [you might not want character] but I find it is far more simple in tone, and I would say its a nice utility equalizer, whereas the 32EQ is that and much more with its Filters and effortless tone shaping.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The 32EQ is a "hearty" sounding equalizer. The character it has is priceless, by my watch, but I would also suggest it is a very clean, and open sound that does not hinder depth or tone/dimension no matter what you are doing with it. The V14, doesn't really have much appealing character. Its nice sounding, but bringing nothing to the party per say. That could be good, [you might not want character] but I find it is far more simple in tone, and I would say its a nice utility equalizer, whereas the 32EQ is that and much more with its Filters and effortless tone shaping.

Thanks dude. That's the kinda info I was looking for.
Old 29th March 2010
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
nicely put!
the 322 EQ is clean but also very musical!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search