The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seventh Circle Audio in pro situations.....holy cow!! Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2010
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
cool sound clip! good illustration that sounds, well, like it does when I do the same thing.

I didn't ask him a lot of super specific questions, but one thing I gathered was the go-to microphone on Yellow House was an old black battery-powered Neumann U87. Made me really want to save up for one of those (any U87)

A link to those interview articles would be schweet!
Here ya go!
No Place Like Space: Grizzly Bear on the Virtues of Natural Reverb, Kylee Swenson
Devendra Banhart: Naturalismo Bohemio, Will Romano (scroll down to "A Bear's Tale")
Old 14th September 2010
  #62
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

I did a session today and used the N72 on a bass amp and it sounds sick...maybe it's a honeymoon period thing, but these things just sound so much better than any pre's I've used before. Most of my pre's arent' aren't exactly top of the line though.
Old 17th September 2010
  #63
Gear Maniac
 
stoneagejim's Avatar
 

hi all,

i have 2x A12's and 2x N72's and they rock!


a12's are my fav at moment!

check out.... The Barefoot Smile on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

all vox tracked with n72's.... and a combination of all 4 on drums..

jim
Old 17th September 2010
  #64
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneagejim View Post
hi all,

i have 2x A12's and 2x N72's and they rock!


a12's are my fav at moment!

check out.... The Barefoot Smile on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

all vox tracked with n72's.... and a combination of all 4 on drums..

jim
Sounds great! Americana from England...dig it! heh
Old 25th September 2010
  #65
Here for the gear
Here's another track using primarily SCA preamps for those who want a real life sample. This is the rough mix from after a rhythm section recording session, so it's quickly mixed and only has guitar, bass, drums, vocals, and one percussion overdub. It's a pretty killer sound for a rough mix done right after the session for the players to listen to. I love these preamps.

http://current.jeremyborum.com/Austi...erflyDemo2.mp3


For those who are interested...

Drum overheads: Neumann KM 184 pair, A12 preamps
Room mics: Karma K35 pair, C84 preamps
(this track is mixed pretty dry, so you don't really hear this pair)
Kick in: Shure beta 91, C84 preamp
Kick out: AKG D112, N72 preamp
Hat: AKG C1000, C84 preamp
Snare top: Heil PR20, Hamptone DIY tube preamp
Snare bottom: SM57, Hamptone DIY tube preamp
Toms: AKG C1000, uninspiring Behringer preamps

Bass: DI through N72
Acoustic guitar: AKG 414 pair as mid/side, C84 preamps
Vocals: AT4060 tube mic, C84 preamp
Djembe: AKG 414s overhead, A12 preamps
Old 25th September 2010
  #66
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborum View Post
Here's another track using primarily SCA preamps for those who want a real life sample. This is the rough mix from after a rhythm section recording session, so it's quickly mixed and only has guitar, bass, drums, vocals, and one percussion overdub. It's a pretty killer sound for a rough mix done right after the session for the players to listen to. I love these preamps.

http://current.jeremyborum.com/Austi...erflyDemo2.mp3


For those who are interested...

Drum overheads: Neumann KM 184 pair, A12 preamps
Room mics: Karma K35 pair, C84 preamps
(this track is mixed pretty dry, so you don't really hear this pair)
Kick in: Shure beta 91, C84 preamp
Kick out: AKG D112, N72 preamp
Hat: AKG C1000, C84 preamp
Snare top: Heil PR20, Hamptone DIY tube preamp
Snare bottom: SM57, Hamptone DIY tube preamp
Toms: AKG C1000, uninspiring Behringer preamps

Bass: DI through N72
Acoustic guitar: AKG 414 pair as mid/side, C84 preamps
Vocals: AT4060 tube mic, C84 preamp
Djembe: AKG 414s overhead, A12 preamps
Sounds excellent! How would your experience with the Hamptone gear compare with SCA?
Old 25th September 2010
  #67
Here for the gear
Chout, I'm glad we could push you over the edge and convince you to try these out. They're a fun puzzle to assemble that you can both be proud of and enjoy using for years. The difference between the SCA preamps and any other pro-grade preamp is, in my mind, a matter of taste and opinion, not of quality.
Old 25th September 2010
  #68
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborum View Post
Chout, I'm glad we could push you over the edge and convince you to try these out. They're a fun puzzle to assemble that you can both be proud of and enjoy using for years. The difference between the SCA preamps and any other pro-grade preamp is, in my mind, a matter of taste and opinion, not of quality.
Did you build the Hamptone pres? Is it a lot harder to assemble a tube pre?
Old 25th September 2010
  #69
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jborum View Post
The difference between the SCA preamps and any other pro-grade preamp is, in my mind, a matter of taste and opinion, not of quality.
After building and using these things, this is exactly my feeling as well, and as a result, I get the feeling of a great value in purchasing.
Old 25th September 2010
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
Sounds excellent! How would your experience with the Hamptone gear compare with SCA?
The hamptone stuff is rock solid.

I loved my HVT-p2 (the tube,not fet). beautiful "round" sound and has a nice character when driven hard. kit form also... it is a lot more "dangerous" ...but not necessarily "harder"

I would happily live with a rack full of those and a rack full of the dav amps.
Old 25th September 2010
  #71
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
Did you build the Hamptone pres? Is it a lot harder to assemble a tube pre?
I have the HVTP2, though I had it built for me. It was a couple of years ago, but here are a few email excerpts from the guy who built it for me. He specialized in vintage audio restoration and had also built a number of SCA units.

"I have had a blast with this one. His technical writing as far as instructions lacks a bit compared to the guys at 7th Circle, but it isn't that bad."

"I ran it today for 6 hours at various gain settings using an audio generator and it sounds great. Absolutely ZERO noise/hum on the output. The scope traces were as clean as I have ever seen on a tube unit so I would say the guy did a good design job."

I have a little DIY experience under my belt now, and looking "under the hood" of the Hamptone, it doesn't look any more complicated to me than the others I have done.

As for the sound of the Hamptone, I have to say that I am constantly blown away by it. I have tried some "Neveish" and "APIish" pres (including the N72) thinking they would offer something I wasn't getting with the Hamptone. Not to say anything bad about the other pres, but In almost every case, the Hamptone has won out for me. The sound is big, warm, natural, open, but still punchy. It is just do damn musical, yet with plenty of vibe. Can't say enough about it.

I think Scott might be designing a 500 series version of the JFET, though I'm not sure if it will be a kit or not.
Old 25th September 2010
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Also, if you're interested in the Hamptone, you might check out this thread comparing it to a few other really nice pres on acoustic guitar.

Hamptone Shootout
Old 25th September 2010
  #73
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
dublave


The N72 has a fader that allows you to overdrive
the preamp and attenuate the output. Which DOES
allow you to get some great effect off the preamp.

I'm not aware of another preamp with this kind of
transformer that has this fader option on the preamp
itself. The fader is there for this very reason -- to drive
the snot out of the transformer.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another like the
N72 to do what you're looking for. Of course you've got
to try it for yourself...

I love mine.
The way the N72 "breaks up" has ALOT to do with how you set up the clipping symmetry using a scope (the optional calibration routine at the end of the instructions)
Old 25th September 2010
  #74
Here for the gear
Comparing the Hamptone build to the SCA build, it wasn't technically very different. Scott Hampton is revamping his website and the instructions right now because of some changes to the kit, so the instructions I had were a little outdated and had a few omissions and errors. It was nothing serious though, and it went together without a hitch.

The only significant difference in the build is the power supply. The SCA power supply came already assembled, perhaps because I bought a rack of 8. The Hamptone power supply was not pre-assembled, but it's easy to do. The consequences of errors are greater because tubes run at high voltages, but the work itself is easy compared to building the preamps themselves.

The two companies are totally different in approach and design, so in terms of sound they are also very different. It's not about good and bad, right and wrong, it's about fit. They're both great products.

If anybody wants to see some photos of the Seventh Circle and Hamptone builds you can find them here:
Building high-end mic preamps
Old 25th September 2010
  #75
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborum View Post
It's not about good and bad, right and wrong, it's about fit. They're both great products.
Exactly!
Old 26th September 2010
  #76
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

got me gassing for one of those Hamptone HVTP2's now!tutt
Old 26th September 2010
  #77
Gear Maniac
 

They are sweet. One just sold on in the classifieds. Asking price was only $700. That's a pretty damn good deal.
Old 2nd October 2010
  #78
Here for the gear
If it was built well $700 is a decent price for a quality stereo tube pre with DI.

I just did another session today, and my client was VERY happy with the sounds we got through the Seventh Circle preamps. Today it was piano and vocals through the transformerless preamps. (Millennia type pres - super clean)
Old 2nd October 2010
  #79
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJanuary View Post
The way the N72 "breaks up" has ALOT to do with how you set up the clipping symmetry using a scope (the optional calibration routine at the end of the instructions)
I have a sca rack with 3xn72 and 4xa12 (stock opamp) and was thinking this as well. I did the calibration with a DMM because I don't have a scope and my first try to saturate the neve was actually a bit of a let down.

Is there any way to set the trimmings just right if you do not have a scope?


Herwig
Old 7th October 2010
  #80
Gear Nut
 
Jon Estes's Avatar
 

Just picked up an SCA N72 and have to give it a huge 2 thumbs up!

Incredible depth, fatness, and a smooth, silky quality.

I'd definitely recommend wiring it full fader (instead of trim).

This way, you can crank the gain and get some sweet fuzz tones, or just barely drive it for a fat sound.
Old 9th October 2010
  #81
Gear Addict
 
chout's Avatar
 

Just finished building an A12 in about 2 1/2 hours, no problem...I now have an N72 to build tomorrow.
Old 10th October 2010
  #82
Gear Maniac
 

Another happy SCA user here. I just noticed that Tim is now offering a couple of transformer options on the A12. Anyone tried the high-nickle option?
Old 16th October 2010
  #83
Gear Addict
 
JBVries's Avatar
 

A12 w/ SC10 Vs A12 w/ SC25

Hey Sluttz,

Just finished up a pair of A12s one with a 25v SC10 and one with the standard 18v SC25. I will be making some audio demos tomorrow for those of you who are interested in the sonic qualities of each.

Any ideas on good ways to go about such? I was just going to pump a couple synth lines, vocal line, and maybe a sweep of somekind. Sound adequate?

Cheers!
JB
Old 17th October 2010
  #84
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVries View Post
Hey Sluttz,

Just finished up a pair of A12s one with a 25v SC10 and one with the standard 18v SC25. I will be making some audio demos tomorrow for those of you who are interested in the sonic qualities of each.

Any ideas on good ways to go about such? I was just going to pump a couple synth lines, vocal line, and maybe a sweep of somekind. Sound adequate?

Cheers!
JB
sweet! I'm partial to live takes through the pres rather than running pre-recorded material that's already been amped through something else, that would be my preference if you could manage. can't wait to hear, though, I've been curious about the SC10
Old 18th October 2010
  #85
Gear Addict
 
JBVries's Avatar
 

Let the smoke out

Hey All,

Sorry to post and not deliver, during final testing of my N72s all was well and then when installed into the rack I let the smoke out of one of them. Repaired and replaced the part but just waiting for some info from Tim before I fire up the rack again (where the A12s are conveniently help). So like I said, sorry to post and not deliver but will post ASAP. Cheers.

JB
Old 16th May 2011
  #86
Here for the gear
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm still loving these pres! They're a great value for the money.

Here are some new tracks using the SCAs on piano, violin, cello, clarinet, guitar, dulcimer, bass, and some other odds and ends. These are from a score for a film called The Magic Hourglass, a magical mystery/adventure film.

Main title:
http://www.jeremyborum.com/audio/Jer...ntiqueShop.mp3

Suspense cue:
http://www.jeremyborum.com/audio/JeremyBorum_TravelersCaptured.mp3

7 person sword fight:
http://www.jeremyborum.com/audio/Jer...peAndFight.mp3



I used the C84s for all the close mics, N72 for the bass, and A12s for the room mics. It sounds great in part because it was mixed by John Rodd.
Old 15th June 2011
  #87
Gear Addict
 

Thanks for that Jborum a great little advert for these SCA pres, lovely composition, recording and mixing there.
Old 3rd March 2016
  #88
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
dublave


The N72 has a fader that allows you to overdrive
the preamp and attenuate the output. Which DOES
allow you to get some great effect off the preamp.

I'm not aware of another preamp with this kind of
transformer that has this fader option on the preamp
itself. The fader is there for this very reason -- to drive
the snot out of the transformer.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another like the
N72 to do what you're looking for. Of course you've got
to try it for yourself...

I love mine.
The input transformer comes before either gain control, so it's unaffected by gain settings; and the full fader is actually in between the two gain stages, so the only thing you're actually driving the snot out of is the first gain stage. That's not to say it doesn't sound cool, of course! But turning up the gain and turning down the trim, by itself, will not drive the transformers any harder.

If you want to drive the transformers harder, you'll need to run your trim full-open, put an inline pad on the output of the pre, and crank up the gain until things get meaty. OR, you could gang two pres together; hook the output of one pre into the input of the N72 and hit it hard to saturate the input and/or output transformers. You'll also want to look at the spec sheets of those transformers to see if they start to distort before the gain stages do.

I've got four N72s and eight J99s. I want more N72s! (Or maybe A12s?)
Old 3rd March 2016
  #89
Gear Addict
 



haha...

Since im posting.. I've always wanted these but man I wish they were 500 series :/
Old 3rd March 2016
  #90
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfwayCompetent View Post
The input transformer comes before either gain control, so it's unaffected by gain settings; and the full fader is actually in between the two gain stages, so the only thing you're actually driving the snot out of is the first gain stage. That's not to say it doesn't sound cool, of course! But turning up the gain and turning down the trim, by itself, will not drive the transformers any harder.
Yeah, that's always been my understanding. I push the input and pad the output to get transformer hair on it. No can do with the trim.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
munmun / Low End Theory
6
codeman015 / So much gear, so little time
4
BassTerd / So much gear, so little time
15
DrummerDave / So much gear, so little time
3
I <3 The Beatle / So much gear, so little time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump