The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New York / East Coast Gearslutz lunch - Sat 28th June Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th June 2003
New York / East Coast Gearslutz lunch - Sat 28th June

Please sign up here if you can or are planning to try to attend.

Date - Saturday 28th June
Location - Manhattan, NYC
Venue -The Gin Mill - 442 Amsterdam Ave Between 81st & 82nd Streets.
New York, NY 10024 212-580-9080
Time - 12 Noon
Duration - up untill the next mealtime (6 / 7 / 8 pm)
Contact number on the day see above or - 1 646-234-9627 (Jules' US cel phone, only use on the day dont call it before then please)

-----------------

Suggested do's -

ANY Gearslut can turn up, non registered lurkers, folks with zero or low post counts, regulars, all are invited, dropping in just for coffee is cool too.

Bring demos, showreels, business cards, hey! Let's network!

Suggested dont's -

Lets not pick a joint split up with booths, or that plays loud music (if there are enough of us we can ask em to just turn it off) I need to eat somewhere that has esspresso!

Mabey not to bring non gearslutz with you, my girlfriend will be off exploring a museum or something that afternoon. I dunno about you but I have found ignoring a significant other for hours while sitting right next to them does little for domestic harmony! And once we get started.... it will be hard to stop the engineering chatter... This is simply a recomendation, not any sort of directive.

--------------------

I am looking forward to it!

-------------------
List of who will & might be there (I will update this as people notify me here)

Atendees

Confirmed - 31 !!!!!!
TBC - 0

Jules
Steve Remote
Michael Wagener
Jay kahrs
Fletcher
Slipperman
Larry Sings
Jon D'Uva
Music Lab
D88d88 (David Steinberg)
Etherize
Rob Darling
Jan Folkson
Tim L
guru007
Tim Glasgow
BattleAngel
joeq
charliedannu47
J Crouch
GlenGain
Benjy King
Fabricoh35
Ang1970
McSnare
ghoost (Kyle Ober)
danv1983 (Dan Valencia)
Bowisc (Rus)
Petermeechanuch
Markske
Curve Dominant

TBC Who can "mabey" make it? Let us know!
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Head

Sort of a long drive( 7 days) ,so I doubt I'll make this one.
I'm hoping for a pacific northwest (seattle) breakfast next.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

June 28th. Happy Birthday to me. How I wish I were in NYC. The place to be. For gearslutz to see. I do believe.

That I am out of "ee" rhymes.

Jules, the L.A. slutz look forward to your next visit.

Have a great time.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I'm in... I should be back from LA then... plus just moved into a new apart and also a new office space for my studio this week

Looking forward to meet you guys
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Count me in. I'll put on my thinking cap on the location. It can be hard to get anyone to let you sit for that long in a food/coffee place in Manhattan, especially on a Saturday, so we "might have to drink a bit to justify our existence." Can't imagine a bunch of studio rats doing that.

Later,
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

Count me in!
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure I can get there... would certainly love to meet everyone!
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'll be there!

My restaurant suggestion:

Scratchers on East 5th between 2nd Ave and Bowery.

It's an Irish Tavern that serves really good and cheap food.

Jules can get his beans and toast, the vegans can get a pretty tasty veggie burger, and the rest of us can chow down on a pretty normal american brunch and burger-style menu.

I know the owner and it's a great place to sit and catchup (they'll let you chill for hours).
They have a cool attitude and the best coffee in all of NYC (reminds me of the coffee in Amalfi, Italy...yes, it's that good!)

guru007
Old 6th June 2003
High End Moderator

That would be really cool. I'll try my best to make it up there. Jules are you coming back for AES in October?
We also got Summer NAMM coming up in Nashville on July 18th/19/20, anybody coming in for that. We could have a Gearslutz BBQ at WireWorld.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear
Of course, I wonder when anyone will want to do anything here in Oklahoma.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

I've got it marked on my calander - not sure if I can make it, but if I can, I will.

Kelly & Ping Asian Grocery & Noodle Shop, on Greene Street in SoHo, is a very cool lunchtime spot, BTW. No booths. The back room has an open arie/greenhouse ambience w/lots of natural sunlight. Reasonable $$ (for NYC anyway), and the food is delicious.
Old 6th June 2003
Here for the gear

See you in Ccchicago
Old 6th June 2003
Gear Nut

Count me in!!!
Old 6th June 2003
Great! Check the first post for a constantly updating list of attendees,

Lurkers, either consider registering or perhaps email me your RSVP to [email protected] just so we dont mess up on the numbers..

We need a place that can cope with INDEVIDUAL BILLS!!!

Folks will be in and out all afternoon.. Some just for coffee, others, like me, will be real 'chow hounds'! One "giant bill" will be too stressfull for me!

heh
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'm thinking that an Indian place would be the only place to have a lot of people, where they could float in and out, and people could get separate checks, without the staff rushing us out, all on a Saturday afternoon in Manhattan. The places in the East Village all have great food, great drinks, and espresso, too Jules.
Old 7th June 2003
Here for the gear

Hey I will deff try to make it there if I am not in the studio...
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

I'm there if you don't mind a clueless kid tagging along ;-)
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Guru

I've reserved the date.
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

Indian sounds great

Quote:
Originally posted by robdarling
I'm thinking that an Indian place would be the only place to have a lot of people, where they could float in and out, and people could get separate checks, without the staff rushing us out, all on a Saturday afternoon in Manhattan. The places in the East Village all have great food, great drinks, and espresso, too Jules.
Rob,

Great idea! I nominate Baluchi's (i.e., Baluchistan). It's probably among the best of the East Village crowd AND the menu is 50% off again.
There's one on Prince near West Broadway and one on 2nd Ave and E6th Street.

guru007
Old 8th June 2003
High End Moderator

OK, just booked my flight, can't pass up a lunch like that. Whomever is in the studio will have to take that day offheh
Looking forward to hanging with you guys
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Great, Mike. I'll be there too :-)
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

FYI:
Just had dinner at Baluchi's on Spring Street last night (my bad, I thought it was on Prince). No 50% deal...only the one in the East Village on 2nd Ave. offers this cool deal.

Cheers,
guru007
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Guru 007- are you the person I've been emailing with about the Lynx cards?

I love Baluchi's too, but I wonder if they aren't a little tougher to just hang in. I was thinking one of hanging pepper light places like Mitali. Kingfishers for all slutz!!
Old 9th June 2003
"M Wagener" - OK, just booked my flight, can't pass up a lunch like that. Whomever is in the studio will have to take that day off
Looking forward to hanging with you guys"

GREAT!

Old 9th June 2003
Here for the gear

meet 'n eeet

it's pretty likely that i will be in NYC at that time, and if i am, i'm totally there! i prefer north-american-ish food to middle eastern, but no big deal. i'm there for the company and not the food so as long as i can get a coke i'll be fine… i can hit burritoville later :-). i have a feeling that it will be a long day-into-night…

--t
[london, canada (on the mighty thames river, one block from the covent garden market) and echo cañon, nyc]
Old 9th June 2003
I would like to put the Nix on Indian food, American would do just fine..

Hi Tim!
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

I guess what I'm saying is, there really aren't places in Manhattan that will have ten open seats when you walk in and then let ten people sit on their asses for 5 hours at a stretch and let them have separate bills and don't get cranky if a couple of them aren't even eating. Especially not places with American food on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of the Summer. Just sort of the realities of New York. Unless you go to sort of crappy giant places where the tourists go, which kind of grosses me out.

Anyone with other ideas?
Old 9th June 2003
High End Moderator

Any food is fine with me, except Brussel Sprouts or Broccoli heh

What time are we getting together? I get into LGA at 10:30 AM and I am taking the last flight out of LGA at 7:30PM, meaning I have to leave the party around 6:00PM. Is Noon too early?
Old 9th June 2003
Noon is fine, good time to "take over" a place too!
Old 9th June 2003
Indian vibe just aint it IMHO they are normally dark - please lets find another vibe, besides I'm coming over from the western curry capital! I think it's just too 'odd' for everyone to be happy ordering...It's just not everyones ideal lunch...

Picnic anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search