The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New York / East Coast Gearslutz lunch - Sat 28th June Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Some more suggestions:

- Katz's Deli: I've never been, but this is the place where Meg Ryan fakes an O in "When Harry Met Sally". Supposed to be good food and inexpensive. Anyone know the vibe?

- Around The Clock: Hip Diner vibe in east Village

- Sidewalk Cafe: Very East Village and Very hip musician/artist diner vibe. I'll never forget being there at 2am morning after seeing the late Jeff Buckley. Jeff walks in, then 2 minutes later, The Edge strolls in after him!

guru007
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Head

Food
Best for Parties of 10 +
Chicama
35 East 18th Street
212-505-2233

Bravo to Babbo for not booking parties of more than six people. It's a rare restaurant that doesn't capsize when serving a large group, its waiters tethered to the party's immediate and often insistent mass needs, the other patrons forced to endure the group's inevitable rise in frenzy and entitlement. Chicama, however, can draw a whole conga line into its celebratory, slightly raucous whirlpool with hardly a ripple, and Douglas Rodriguez's insidious Mojitos, delightful seviches, mariscos, and chupe are meant for passing and sharing.

Latin American
South American

Price Range: Moderate to Expensive

Chef Miximo Tejada could serve his menu from a lean-to in Union Square and there'd be no room left for the other vendors. Instead, he inhabits a rustic dream hut that takes you somewhere north of Brazil, east of Mardi Gras, and south of Heaven.

Recommended Dishes: Chilean salmon ceviche ($14), beef churrasco ($27), crispy chicharon of shrimp ($14).
Old 9th June 2003
I think Steve Remote has a restaurateur chum that will take us...

Steve?

Like the sound of that first Mexican " Chicama" place! The expensive one might be best skipping.

My hobby is eating out!

Someone between us in NYC might have to go (or phone) put a deposit down... I personally promise if there is any monkey business I will pay it back to them
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Picnic anyone?
We could bring some congas and little bottles of rum in brown bags....

No tables to take up, no frowning waiters. A wide selection of food to please everyone- hot dogs, ice cream, pretzels.

Seriously a picnic would be fine with me. I am going to meet the Slutz first and foremost.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Any food is fine with me, except Brussel Sprouts or Broccoli heh
hey now ... come to brussels and I'll let you taste them the way they should ...

I did mention earlier that chances where I would be in the Boston area at the end of June and that hanging out in Manhatten for a couple of days would be nice. Unfortunately both professionally and the price of tickets at that point are keeping me from coming. My GF is flying to the states on wednesday to visit her parents for the summer. I'll probably fly over there at some point too ... just not clear yet when ...

sorry Jules ... won't be there this time.
Old 10th June 2003
Sorry Chris

I am sure we will come up with something, Steve remote is looking into it...
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Nut

My .02.

If you wanted to picnic why not go to the Boat Basin at 79th and Riverside under the Henry Hudson. It's like being outside, but there are bathrooms and they serve beer and burgers. Lot's of girls (and I suppose guys) in skimpy outfits to look at and you can bring yr. dog.
Old 10th June 2003
Super Moderator

I found a place in Manhattan that will book their private room for us with plenty of open seats. Are arses can be planted in their seats for at least a 5 hour stretch. Separate bills are OK. Tourists will not be allowed in to our nice and quiet (no music or TV noise) space.

The Gin Mill's "Speak Easy" room is available to us at no cost for the space. They will set up tables for 20. If more lunch seating is needed, I can advance it with them.

The food is upscale bar food. You will find a menu link below. I don't think anything's more then 9 bucks or so. Drinks are at 1/2 price. Individual ordering and billing is cool with my friend Melanie.

We're not getting an additional waitress and/or bartender for the private downstairs room. The Gin Mill's waitress, Debbieshall be traveling up and down those stairs for us for no extra bread. Please think of this when you're tipping her!. We must take care of Debbie!

The Gin Mill
442 Amsterdam Ave Between 81st & 82nd Streets.
New York, NY 10024 212-580-9080

The Speak Easy Room

The Menu

Date - Saturday the 28th of June 2003.
Location - Manhattan, NYC
Venue - The Gin Mill
Time - early lunch 12noon
Duration - up untill the next mealtime (6pm or so)
Jules' June 28th contact number. 1 646-234-9627
(Remember, Jules' US cel phone, shall only be active on the 24th of June, so don't call it before then)
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

I've been to Gin Mill - it's right around the corner from Prohibition. Cool spot.
Old 11th June 2003
Table for 20 sounds a good idea!

Bookem Danno!

Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Is it 21 and over? I'm a year shy :-(
Old 11th June 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
...Time - late lunch 2pm
could we possibly start a little earlier, maybe around noon?
Old 11th June 2003
Super Moderator

Originally, I told Melanie, we wanted to start around 1 or 2pm. Should I change it to 12 noon? I can ask her and see if it isn't a problem.

I know (for sure that) a 1pm start will not be a problem. Give me the word and I will make it so!
Old 11th June 2003
High End Moderator

I would really like that, because I have to leave around 6 PM to catch the last flight back to Nashville.

Is everybody else OK with this?
Old 11th June 2003
Noon is fine with me!

Please make it so Remote man.

I am hope we can sneak Battle Angel in, besides if he orders coke and I order beer ........ well, I dont drink alcohol, so what would I do with that beer? I suppose leave it on the table.....? Or trade with someone with a soft drink!

heh
Old 11th June 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by BattleAngel
Is it 21 and over? I'm a year shy :-(
I dunno... Steve said it was a table for 20 didn't he? So is it noon, or is it one?
Old 11th June 2003
Super Moderator

OK, it's done!

Date - Saturday the 28th of June 2003.

Location - Manhattan, NYC

Venue - The Gin Mill in the Speak Easy Room
442 Amsterdam Ave Between 81st & 82nd Streets.
New York, NY 10024 212-580-9080

Time - early lunch 12noon

Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Terrific :-)
Old 11th June 2003
High End Moderator

Great, thanx Steve, I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 11th June 2003
Rock on!

12 noon it is then! (I wonder if they do conflakes? )
Old 13th June 2003
Super Moderator

Jules,

You may have to bring your own cornflakes.

Also, please add Jon D'Uva to the list of attendees.
Old 14th June 2003
Super Moderator

I really hope you guys can make it...

It won't be a party if Fletcher, Jay Khars, Slipperman! & Curve Dominant don't make it!!!

Come on now - Make it so!!!
Old 14th June 2003
Super Moderator

Excellent!
Old 14th June 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
I'm coming.
I'm coming with him... is that like gay?
Old 14th June 2003
No, but it does leave you both open to accusations of being "food curious"

GREAT NEWS!

Old 14th June 2003
Super Moderator

Awesome news...

Jules, your first post still states a late lunch (1 or 2).
Shouldn't you change it to 12 noon?
Old 14th June 2003
Gear Maniac

put me down for a seat..

I have a gig the night before yet will try my best not to miss a good day of listening....

thanks to all who have put in the time and energy..

take care,
Old 14th June 2003
Here for the gear

Sorry guys I wont be able to make it this time. I will be in Atlanta recording Matchbox 20 for their new hi-def DVD. Hopefully I will make it to the next one.
Have fun....

Kooster

thumbsup
Old 14th June 2003
Lives for gear

Sounds like a plan!
Old 16th June 2003
Super Moderator

Jules,

We have another guest.

Please add "MusicLab" to the list of attendees.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search