The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Avant (Avantone?) 3-way monitors?
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

New Avant (Avantone?) 3-way monitors?

At the bottom of this page: AVANT ELECTRONICS - PRODUCTS are two different 'Powered 3-way Precision Studio Monitors' listed as 'coming soon'.

They are called 'They Abbey' and 'Mini_Towers' (strange it has an underscore in it's name?).

Anyone heard/have the scoop on these
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

i've heard a bit about them..... look like great monitors if your budget does not exceed these units...

there was a thread in this "new" forum" back around AES time...

they look like barefoots for much cheaper, and don't sound as good (probably, i haven't heard the avants)

but given there products from the past... i'm sure these units will kick ass.

avantone wouldn't release something that wasn't worth far more than what their charging.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, I see.

Just got an email from them (asked for further info)>

"We will be posting a web page with info in apx 6-8 weeks."

Old 20th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Ah, I see.

Just got an email from them (asked for further info)>

"We will be posting a web page with info in apx 6-8 weeks."

ah one of those pre-announcements of an announcement I love so much.
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

TAYLOR SWIFT USES THE CV12, HENCE IT IS GOOD.

But seriously it'll be cool to see at least what these look like.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Abbey

They the same color as the Mix cubes
also they have subwoofers on each sides like barefoots
Attached Thumbnails
New Avant (Avantone?) 3-way monitors?-avantone-abbey.jpg  
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they look like some serious units.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

does want
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Nut

Anyone know what they may cost?
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

They look like a poor man's Barefoot MM's. Cool looking design.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Anyone know what they may cost?
AVANT ELECTRONICS - PRICELIST
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

I gotta get a pair of these

Wooooooooooow they look amazing indeed!

I have the first version of the Mixcube passive and can't live nor mix without them. Simply love them and I think i'm gonna have to call my buddy "Glenn" at Avantone to put my hands on these! I'm sure they sound amazing!!

Can't wait !!!!
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

They will be available in Mid Summer

See if i can get a picture of the Abbey Mini Tower
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I have the first version of the Mixcube passive and can't live nor mix without them. Simply love them and I think i'm gonna have to call my buddy "Glenn" at Avantone to put my hands on these! I'm sure they sound amazing!!

Can't wait !!!!
'First' version? I thought there was only 1 version of the passive, though the actives have gone through changes.

Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
But are these prices per pair or each???
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

It says (Pair) in the description
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Oops
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
'First' version? I thought there was only 1 version of the passive, though the actives have gone through changes.

Sorry Fleaman! I meant First Release passive of the Mixcube. My bad!

Cheers
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

There will be subs

"The mini-towers subs are actually the same size as the regular Abbeys - 6.5". And actually, we don't call them subs here, because we're designing a sub-woofer to go along with the Abbeys or Mini-Towers that WILL take you down to 15Hz (also with some sweet and never-before-used tech). The subwoofers will be out later than the Abbeys/Mini-Towers.
"
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Some more info from Full Compass site

Avant Electronics ABBEY Abbey Studio Monitors, Powered 3-Way, 350W (PAIR) | Full Compass

Avant Electronics ABBEY
The amplification system in the Abbey series is ultra efficient, cutting edge Class HD design. The ABBEY offers much more power and operating dynamic headroom than typical monitor systems with an extended 38-33k flat frequency response and 350 watts of tri-amped power. The configuration per speaker is (2) 6.5" phase-locked/dual side subs backed with 200 watts to generate huge bass performance from a small, console-mounted close field monitor. The 5.25" paper cone mid driver is fed with 100 watts powering the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 50 watts feeding the 4.5kHa-33kHz tweeter. The dome tweeter extends the playback range out to 33kHz while widening the usable "sweet spot" by being only -4dB down at 30 degrees off axis @ 18kHz.

Avant Electronics MINI-TOWERS
The Abbey Mini-Tower employs an "array design" along with dual 6.5" side firing, phase locked subwoofers. They can be used in close-field as well as mid field implementation. Speaker configuration is (2) 6.5" sub-woofers backed with 250 watts to generate extended bass performance, (2) 4" drivers in a front array driven with 125 watts to power the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 75 watts feeds the 4.5kHz-33kHz tweeter.

Seems like a lot of speaker for the $$$. Hopefully they'll get them dialed in real good.

I've been interested in trying out the Opals, but looks like I'll delay any potential purchase until I can also try out the new Mini Towers.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Avant Electronics ABBEY Abbey Studio Monitors, Powered 3-Way, 350W (PAIR) | Full Compass

Avant Electronics ABBEY
The amplification system in the Abbey series is ultra efficient, cutting edge Class HD design. The ABBEY offers much more power and operating dynamic headroom than typical monitor systems with an extended 38-33k flat frequency response and 350 watts of tri-amped power. The configuration per speaker is (2) 6.5" phase-locked/dual side subs backed with 200 watts to generate huge bass performance from a small, console-mounted close field monitor. The 5.25" paper cone mid driver is fed with 100 watts powering the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 50 watts feeding the 4.5kHa-33kHz tweeter. The dome tweeter extends the playback range out to 33kHz while widening the usable "sweet spot" by being only -4dB down at 30 degrees off axis @ 18kHz.

Avant Electronics MINI-TOWERS
The Abbey Mini-Tower employs an "array design" along with dual 6.5" side firing, phase locked subwoofers. They can be used in close-field as well as mid field implementation. Speaker configuration is (2) 6.5" sub-woofers backed with 250 watts to generate extended bass performance, (2) 4" drivers in a front array driven with 125 watts to power the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 75 watts feeds the 4.5kHz-33kHz tweeter.

Seems like a lot of speaker for the $$$. Hopefully they'll get them dialed in real good.

I've been interested in trying out the Opals, but looks like I'll delay any potential purchase until I can also try out the new Mini Towers.

Here the info from a source:

Actually, the side-firing (phase-locked, by the way) subs don't go below 20Hz. On the Abbeys, we go to 38Hz. On the Abbey Mini Towers, we go to the 33Hz. I believe that the reason for this is cabinet size and resonant frequencies within the cabinet would interfere below those freqs.

The mini-towers subs are actually the same size as the regular Abbeys - 6.5". And actually, we don't call them subs here, because we're designing a sub-woofer to go along with the Abbeys or Mini-Towers that WILL take you down to 15Hz (also with some sweet and never-before-used tech). The subwoofers will be out later than the Abbeys/Mini-Towers.

The main differences between the Abbey and the Mini-Tower are 1) the MTM Di'Appolito array on the mini-tower - two 4" drivers and a tweet, as opposed to the 5.25" & tweet on the regular Abbey. Difference #2 is the wattage difference - the Abbeys are 350 watts tri-amped (200 for woofers, 100 for driver, 50 for tweeter), and the Abbey towers are 450 watts tri-amped (250 for woofers, 125 for drivers, 50 for tweeter). That's 700 watts a pair for the Abbeys and 900 watts a pair for the Mini-Towers...with that kind of power, who needs wall-mounted mains (haha)? Note that the wattage uses our ultra-efficient brand-new amplifer tech. I think the official numbers is that the new amp technology we're using is 90-something percent efficient in terms of thermal loss (compare that to other amp class efficiencies).

The last difference would be cabinet size and therefore the low-end extends a little further on the Abbey Mini-Towers (33hz, as opposed to 38Hz on the Abbeys).

One other thing to note: the mid and tweet are in a sealed partition of the cabinet, leading to tighter response and preposterously low crosstalk. The subs are in a ported partition. The partitions are filled with Dacron to kill any speaker resonance. The entire cabinet, other than the port, is fully sealed (right down to the pots, jacks, and switches....all speaker baskets are gasketed and the backplate is gasketed as well to ensure zero air leakage.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarseman View Post
Here the info from a source:

And actually, we don't call them subs here, because we're designing a sub-woofer to go along with the Abbeys or Mini-Towers that WILL take you down to 15Hz (also with some sweet and never-before-used tech). The subwoofers will be out later than the Abbeys/Mini-Towers.
I hope they build in a footswitch-able sub in/out capability ala Focal style on the separate sub woofer. Meaning, you can switch the sub's in/out of circuit w/o affecting the mains.
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Addict

Yep. I can't wait to hear them. Even if they aren't up to the quality of Barefoots, I'd imagine that there won't be more bang for the buck.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Are these things for sale yet, or are they just listed on Full Compass? Is there an approximate release date?

Edit: I emailed Full Compass about it and got a response saying September, so that's aways off.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Didn't Barefoot apply for a patent on the dual-sub design on the side or did the concept already exist?
Old 11th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Didn't Barefoot apply for a patent on the dual-sub design on the side or did the concept already exist?
Already existed.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Already existed.
In a full range monitor?

I think you might be right that phased locked opposing subs existed in subwoofers, but I've never seen them on a full range monitor.

Also, barefoots subs are actually 1 unit, they are attached at the backsides, mechanically locking them together. Don't know if I've ever seen that (but there's a lot I haven't seen).

Do you remember the monitors that already had this?
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
In a full range monitor?

I think you might be right that phased locked opposing subs existed in subwoofers, but I've never seen them on a full range monitor.

Also, barefoots subs are actually 1 unit, they are attached at the backsides, mechanically locking them together. Don't know if I've ever seen that (but there's a lot I haven't seen).

Do you remember the monitors that already had this?
It may or may not have existed in monitors, but in general Hi-Fi designs I've seen quite a few boxes incorporating a side-firing woofer.

Bottom line: I doubt that there is an existing patent for this design.
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
It may or may not have existed in monitors, but in general Hi-Fi designs I've seen quite a few boxes incorporating a side-firing woofer.
Yes, I've seen the 1 side firing sub woofer in hifi speakers.

But I haven't seen:
> Opposing phase locked dual subs
> Both dual sub speaker frames locked together internally.

I doubt there is a patent either, but still interested in what other monitors/speakers (even hifi) that might have these 2 design elements in place.
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I've seen it done in car subs for quite a while.

Wonder who owns the patent for a 2 way system? lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search