The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear
New AX Series from ADAM

Seems like the A series is getting an upgrade. New X-Art tweeter and new woofers. They will also launch 2 new models, a 4" and a 8". Check this out.
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-khq6a1uf331c9kzfeostajyhqqnwqe-pre.jpg  
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear
Interesting they're upgrading A7's with these, I thought they're still popular (despite the negative threads here). I guess they'll discontinue the P series's?
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear
i don't know about discontinuing, i guess the p series will also get an upgrade in the future...
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Wonder if you could replace your A7 tweeters with the new ones.

One of mine are history and will need replacing..
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
i don't know about discontinuing, i guess the p series will also get an upgrade in the future...
Maybe, though not much info is available yet these seem to be a good alternative to the SX series and I don't expect them to be as cheap like the A7.

I'd like to see a design of s3a or p33a for home or smaller studio's and also different approaches like closed or transmission line's options rather than another price option, design option would be far more interesting.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

The new range seems to be replacing the old A5 and A7 with 4 new models with 5", 6", 7" and 9" drivers. I assume the price will be the same as before with the AX3 costing less than the A5 and the AX8 costing more than the A7.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Nut

Prices will be:

A3X: 199€
A5X: 299€
A7X: 449€
A8X: 599€
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson View Post
Wonder if you could replace your A7 tweeters with the new ones.

One of mine are history and will need replacing..
Most probably not, because you have to change the crossover too, and that yould mean to change most of the whole speaker electronic.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphonic View Post
Prices will be:

Aren't those prices similar to current models? I haven't priced Adams in a while.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Nut

The new ones are slightly more expensive.

A5: 275€ => A5X 299€
A7: 399€ => A7X 449€
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict
A7 - 6.5" 50w/50w

A5x - 6" 50w/50w

A7x - 7" 35w/100w

I think the A5x it's more close to A7 than A7X, so they are even cheaper

With double port, maybe the port noise it's solved.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Maniac

The A8X looks nice for electronic music going down to 38 hz with that 9" woofer
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphonic View Post
Prices will be:

Hey thats cool, lower prices than I expected
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
The A8X looks nice for electronic music going down to 38 hz with that 9" woofer

They should be around $1400/pr street price if my conversion is correct. If they sound like what's expected from Adam, add a sub (sub10 mk2) to round out the bottom and that's a nice full range stereo monitoring system for around $2700.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post

They should be around $1400/pr street price if my conversion is correct. If they sound like what's expected from Adam, add a sub (sub10 mk2) to round out the bottom and that's a nice full range stereo monitoring system for around $2700.
Yes, looks pretty good.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by guze View Post

A5x - 6" 50w/50w
According to Adam themselves, the A5X has a 5.5" tweeter. I'm actually pretty interested in this model since I found the A7 too big and the A5 just a tad too small...
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

From ADAM customer support: RE: A7X Questions

Thanks for your mail and your interest in the ADAM´s. we start shipping the new A7X to the world wide distribution partners by middle to end of May.

If you are in Frankfurt next week at the Musikmesse show please do not hesitate and stop by at the ADAM booth. We will be in hall 6.1 booth C 51 before making a final decision. A7X is 50 € more expensive then the current A7 – this is at least the pricing here in Germany. I don’t understand where you are based but abroad the price is a bit different due to shipping and maybe customs.

Hope this helps, thanks again for your mail and thanks for being already an ADAM supporter.

Best regards
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

I have been watching this market lately as I am looking for new monitors- It seems as though may manufacturers are coming out with upgraded models - ADAM, Dynaudio (BM5A MKII), and Tannoy.

I think the latest and greatest Focal Lineup (CMS 50/65) has motivated these companies to become more competitive at this price point. (1000 -1600 US $).

I have been following closely because i just brought home a pair of A7s from GC to demo in my space. I think it may be a good idea to hold of for a few months (or get the Focals) - This upcoming generation of speakers in this class seem to have listened and corrected many complaints about their most popular consumer models.

Looking forward to finding out more!

Ander
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Addict

When A8X release?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Thanks for your mail and your interest in the ADAM´s. we start shipping the new A7X to the world wide distribution partners by middle to end of May.

If you are in Frankfurt next week at the Musikmesse show please do not hesitate and stop by at the ADAM booth. We will be in hall 6.1 booth C 51 before making a final decision. A7X is 50 € more expensive then the current A7 – this is at least the pricing here in Germany. I don’t understand where you are based but abroad the price is a bit different due to shipping and maybe customs.

Hope this helps, thanks again for your mail and thanks for being already an ADAM supporter.

Best regards
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

Update - ADAM - Questions answered

Here is some more correspondence with the ADAM customer support. I assume that the A8X will be released with similar timing to the A7X.

Also, upon realizing my location (USA), he said that the release previously noted may be overly optimistic. Typically we are the last to get the good stuff from the EU. Note that I had some other questions about ADAM quality control and customer support as it has been widely discussed in these forums.

Correspondence (My Questions and his answers):

I live in San Francisco (USA) so unfortunately I won’t be able to get to Frankfurt next week. I’d love to come and see the new gear…but can’t get away from work. I know that several vendors are releasing new/upgrades to the previous models including Dynaudio and Tannoy. It’s quickly becoming a very competitive price point. (1K -> 2K $ US)
Ah, ok it wasn’t to understand from your mail that you are based in the States because the AX´s will arrive in the States a bit later then here in Europe due to the involved time for shipping. From this point of view is my announcement regarding availability for the US very optimistic….
I would recommend double checking with our US American sales team for detailed lead time and availability over there.

I have another query – I have read many consumer complaints on website forums (Gearslutz.com for example), and I have received negative feedback from local pro-audio dealers regarding the quality control and customer support around the ADAM brand, specifically in regards to the A7 model.

One dealer in San Francisco had the following comments when I asked about his impression of the ADAM A7 monitors:

“we've sold them, i am out now. I can tell you that no 2 ever sound alike, and they are thin sounding, and compared to Dyn or Focal, poorly built. How's that for an endorsement? … it is surprising. We’ve had multiple defectives, loose ports, sequential sn #'d pairs do not sound , etc.. I think they aim for that model to be the entry level product, and cut some corners? … they have very poor Customer support here in the US since they re-organized. Was excellent previously.”

Can you comment on this? Has customer support in the USA lost its focus? I have also read that the A7 is made in China but tested in Germany. I understand that this keeps costs down to be able to provide the home studio/ consumer market with high level products. Would you say that quality control and customer support has become less of a focus for ADAM with this consumer marketed product? I imagine that ADAM has a very keen interest on remaining competitive in this market. Has focus been shifted from support for the A7 in preparation for the new product release?
The customer support in the US hasn’t actually changed in the US but the entire subsidiary has been reorganized last year. ADAM US moved from the west coast to the east coast and we exchanged the staff completely. It took a moment to get everything reorganized and back to normal I have to admit but service and support hasn´t actually changed as we work with several service centers all over the entire US who are served with parts from ADAM.

The comment you have received from a dealer in San Francisco is a bit odd to say the very least. If this was the case for instance GC would probably not order containers of A7.

The entire ADAM production, no matter what kind of speaker needs to be assembled is in Berlin, Germany only. On top of this our unique tweeters are hand folded and hand made her in our factory in Berlin, and in Berlin only. There is no other place of manufacturing of ADAM´s anywhere.

Please understand that this in no way reflects my personal experience with ADAM, however limited it may be. I am just trying to understand why there has been recent negative feedback in recent years. It seems that there was a reorganization that occurred that potentially damaged some customer and distributor relationships.
Some negative feedback has occurred after the change of the entire crew at ADAM US. Reason for this was that some dealers built a long relationship with the former sales staff at ADAM USA and did not like the idea they need to get used to the new crew.
But, I would advice give them a ring in our US office at +1 (516) 6810690 or drop them a line at [email protected] . I´m sure our president Bob Caputo or VP Roger Fortier will be glad to help you to find an appropriate dealer in the SF area and advise in more detail availability of the new AX range in the US.

Hope this helps a bit further, thanks again for your ongoing interest in the ADAM´s and best regards
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Guru

Competition is good. I think all these speaker companies have grossly overpriced products.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

The only alarm bell ringing in my head is the use of a pulse width modulation amp on the mid-bass of the A7X. Hopefully Adam haven't skimped out on the filter between the amp and the speaker cone. I know of a company who simply use the roll-off of their midbass driver as a filter for the harmonics from the PWM amp, and it sounds goddam dreadful
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

wow, when i got mine, they hadn't updated the site for the new product. what a difference a week makes!!!
i will say that i did get my A7's in the classifieds here for a great deal and was significantly cheaper than i could get anywhere, even new. so i am certainly not griping. i wouldn't have minded getting something that was actually comparable with the woofer size of my rp8's, but i was having issue with them blocking some of my dual screen setup. i think that in my case, ultimately, the a7's were perfect for me.
now, i will say this: since having these speakers in, i have noticed a lot more distortion lately, but this has been on youtube videos mainly. i was too lazy to use reference cd's and just went to YT to get an idea of some mixes and was hearing severe level jumps and random clipping, but then when i used a reference disc, found that it was more around bad rips and uploads than original source. commercial cd's were just fine and the imaging was still spectacular. i never noticed it as much with the rp8's, but with the a7's was glaring. thank you adam for producing some marvelous speaker for the smaller scale studio.
Old 20th March 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

IMO these are better looking monitors than the SX series. I like the "old design" better, especially in the case of the tweeter. I can see these becoming very popular monitors.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I really hope they've managed to get the voicing of the A3X right. I'm really wanting to get some rears and a centre to compliment my A7s, but don't want to fork out the full cost of extra A7s. I don't need much low-end from the rears or centre, but do want the midband and top-end to be as close as possible to that of my A7s.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Head

I hope these new ones aren't as fatiguing as the old ones...
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Ooo exciting! I have my money ready to drop on some new monitors heh Maybe the A7x or A8x will have plenty of nice bass. They sure look nice, I really don't like the look of the new high end adams.

Is everyone just assuming these will be 'better' than the old models?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
there is a reason to think that this new ones will be better. they did a pretty good job with the sx series..
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Head

i will order one pair of adam a7x and one pair dynaudio bm5a and i will keep the monitors i like better. i hope the new adams will have more low end, the description says they go down to 42 hertz and the woofer is bigger and got more power (100 watt!) so i hope they will have a better bass response than the old ones. what ive heard about the dynaudios is that the only advantage they have against the a7s is the better low end but now i think the new adams a7x with the improved bass response can be superior in nearfield monitoring! i live in germany so i can already purchase these babys. i hope the adams will not disappoint and i will make a good choice. i want to make hip hop/electronic music with them.

this is my first pair of studiomonitors im so excited
Old 23rd March 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

I'm hoping the A7x are the A7s minus all the problems that have been reported on the A7s lately...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search