The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

A3Xs

So my Uni coursemate's A3Xs arrived today and I've just given them a little listen with some Björk, Nick Drake, The Police etc... and I'm very impressed so far.

Fantastic transparency - they do the same thing my A7s can with the 'front-to-back' imaging, impressively large sound-stage for such a small speaker, and they really do sound very open.

Of course they haven't been worn-in yet, and they do sound a little edgier than my A7s, but I'm sure that'll change over the next few weeks. There's a sort of lower-mid/upper-bass hump/tubbiness at the moment which I think is a combination of the speakers currently sitting atop the polystyrene packaging from the boxes on a desk (my friend has yet to invest in proper stands) and the fresh drivers.

Very, very impressed so far though - I use the Genelec 8020A quite a bit, and the A3Xs blow them clean out of the water...
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixx View Post
Wow, that IS a bass-heavy track! Maybe it's because I'm not that familiar with the habits in electronic music area but to have musical content in range 40-60 Hz about 30dB louder than at other frequencies seems brutal to me
That is your own mix?

EDIT: Just to clarify: I'm not trying to jugde that track, I'd just like to find how much is this port noise issue relevant for general use

Frequency response attached
That range is good to attack the crowd with bass frequencies in a club or similar setting, but 30 dbs does seem like a lot...even so I heard the port noise with just a sine wave that he posted, and it doesn't seem acceptable.

I have tracks with only bass tones in sections and I would find that extremely annoying. Also, if you can hear it underneath everything else it would probably be even more annoying.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, i know this track is pretty bass heavy, even in its genre, but imho the speaker should be able to handle it. It's not my track, it's from Daniel Heatcliff. Just one of the first tracks i found where it was VERY obvious.

The main problem is: once you've heard the noise, you hear it all the time.
I've spent the whole evening with the stereo pair and all i can say the speakers are amazing. The imaging, depth, frequency balance, the whole stereo field. And it's not easy to make them sound good at all which is something i really appreciate... I'm very impressed. But the port noise is ridiculous. They just can't handle low synthetic kicks and sub basslines. So i hope A7X + Sub8 is the noiseless adam solution for electronic musicians, since the p22a are not available anymore.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Yeah, i know this track is pretty bass heavy, even in its genre, but imho the speaker should be able to handle it. It's not my track, it's from Daniel Heatcliff. Just one of the first tracks i found where it was VERY obvious.

The main problem is: once you've heard the noise, you hear it all the time.
I've spent the whole evening with the stereo pair and all i can say the speakers are amazing. The imaging, depth, frequency balance, the whole stereo field. And it's not easy to make them sound good at all which is something i really appreciate... I'm very impressed. But the port noise is ridiculous. They just can't handle low synthetic kicks and sub basslines. So i hope A7X + Sub8 is the noiseless adam solution for electronic musicians, since the p22a are not available anymore.
There are lots of p22a available new.Worth a try imo.
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
The port noise on A7X should be lower than it was on the A7.
I've heard A7X have no port noise compared to A7

I had A7X - I don't hear any noise port ... but I don't using high volumes.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Sold my A7 yesterday. A little too heavy weighted for my session work.. should I go for A3X or A5X... my local dealer will have them on stock next week. Can't wait to hear them and bring a pair with me heh
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Well, Its been a couple of weeks since mine arrived and even though I too have the rattles (left speaker only) I still haven't come round to sending them back. Why? well, I need to get some work done, I dont hear it unless I sinewave or deep-bass it at high volumes, but this next week its going back for replacement, 'cos I do rock/pop mainly, but also jazz and world, and I nearly freaked out when listening to slow double bass grooves. But only when showing off the speakers to a friend, so I cranked them

Port noise is a b*tch, of course. But from my heavy usage of the A7X's, you really have to crank them up to get it going. And definitely definitely, I do not monitor more than 5 mins at such high volume.

moral of the story, if you dont love your ears and constantly blast them... err... get a sub or look elsewhere.

Putting foam into the port seems a bit extreme, but I will be trying to stick some sort of apex into the port so as to interfere with the ''wind tunnel air whirlpool resonation'' effect that causes the port to sing.

Rattles are no excuse though. Keep sending them back until you have a good pair. It is soooooo worth it...

I am still in awe at how these speaker cost less than a grand. Costs have to be cut somewhere, and I have no beef sending back faulty speakers until I get a good pair, 3 year warranty should be perfectly enough to test-drive.

I absolutely ADORE these speakers!!
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
But from my heavy usage of the A7X's, you really have to crank them up to get it going. And definitely definitely, I do not monitor more than 5 mins at such high volume.
moral of the story, if you dont love your ears and constantly blast them... err... get a sub or look elsewhere.
To avoid missunderstandings: with bassheavy I do not mean loud. Just a relationship between lows and highs.
in fact i monitor pretty quiet. i don't have a dB meter but i'm pretty sure i'm below the average volume of electronic music producers.
Because it screws my brain to concentrate on loud music for a longer period. Because stuff i mix loud sounds like crap when played at lower levels. And because i love my ears.

But as soon as there's no higher frequency content to mask the noise, you hear it, at levels should definitly not hear it.
That's my experience with the A8X i got. They both behave the same way. Maybe there both faulty. YMMV
Old 9th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Well, Its been a couple of weeks since mine arrived and even though I too have the rattles (left speaker only) I still haven't come round to sending them back. Why? well, I need to get some work done, I dont hear it unless I sinewave or deep-bass it at high volumes, but this next week its going back for replacement, 'cos I do rock/pop mainly, but also jazz and world, and I nearly freaked out when listening to slow double bass grooves. But only when showing off the speakers to a friend, so I cranked them
I am going to listen to a pair of A8Xs in a store and was planning to bring Kind Of Blue (Miles Davis) since I love that album and have heard it so many times. Should I be able to hear that bass reflex problem with that album?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho Geist View Post
Thanks for the tip on those Avants! If this is true it's something it looks like Adam could learn from

"One other thing to note: the mid and tweet are in a sealed partition of the cabinet, leading to tighter response and preposterously low crosstalk. The subs are in a ported partition. The partitions are filled with Dacron to kill any speaker resonance. The entire cabinet, other than the port, is fully sealed (right down to the pots, jacks, and switches....all speaker baskets are gasketed and the backplate is gasketed as well to ensure zero air leakage."

I look forward to checking those out. Very interesting design.
Yeah i really cant wait to hear them to, they could be amazing monitors and the price is pretty sweet..
Old 10th June 2010
Here for the gear

My pair of A7X arrived yesterday... Gave them a quick test and they sound promising. thumbsup Pity I won't be able to give them a thorough test until next week beacuse we're moving to a new place.
I put them on a small table quite close next to each other, sitting very near to them. I tried to play evosilica's "bass hevy track" and didn't notice any port noise at all (at quite a high level). Let's see how they behave once I put them on proper stands 1.4 meter away.
Old 10th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanB View Post
I am going to listen to a pair of A8Xs in a store and was planning to bring Kind Of Blue (Miles Davis) since I love that album and have heard it so many times. Should I be able to hear that bass reflex problem with that album?

Thanks
Generaly, I don't think so. However - you could find a spot with prominent double-bass part (is there a bass solo on that record?) - that would be the right place where to expect the port noise.
Old 10th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Generaly, I don't think so. However - you could find a spot with prominent double-bass part (is there a bass solo on that record?) - that would be the right place where to expect the port noise.
In the first tune ("So What") the whole theme is played by the double-bass, with very little accompaniment.
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried to play evosilica's "bass hevy track" and didn't notice any port noise at all (at quite a high level).
Great to hear. thumbsup

Could you perform a sine test like i did on bith speakers?
If they're quiet I'll switch to A7X asap.

btw that's not my track
Old 10th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanB View Post
In the first tune ("So What") the whole theme is played by the double-bass, with very little accompaniment.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Great to hear. thumbsup

Could you perform a sine test like i did on bith speakers?
If they're quiet I'll switch to A7X asap.

btw that's not my track
I know it's not yours... I called it "yours" just because you posted it :-)
I will perform a sine test next week after moving house ;-)
Old 10th June 2010
Here for the gear

Hello all,

fyi, I bought a pair of A7X few weeks back and I'm experiencing the same rattle / crackle problem coming from 1 speaker only when playing anything that has accented low end. It happens sporadically and sometimes it does not happen for few hours, and sometimes it's just there all the time (while playing the same track)... I'm returning the faulty one and hopefully this can be fixed.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one..
Cheers, Yuri.
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Bros!
The A7X are amazing!
I really thought the A7s were really good, but man, these are a whole other level.
They sond more balanced, wider soundstage, like everything and more you would expect from a nearfield monitor twice their price.

At this price they are a steal!

No port noise here...clear as a whistle.

Cheers!

PS: At first they sounded a little dull. Afterward I raised the tweeter level by 1dB (2 clicks) and they really opened up. Everything was balanced, it was like somebody had swept away the fog. DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAILOR IT TO YOUR ROOM AND WORKING HABITS!

Last edited by Graal; 10th June 2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: I forgot about the tweeter trick.
Old 12th June 2010
Here for the gear

My friends second A7x came yesterday and it also rattles, so I think this is a common mistake Adam made
Old 12th June 2010
Here for the gear

I can push my A7Xs to rattle using a sine wave. But I never managed to make it rattle with music signal. Once I feed it with a deep sinewave, it rattles - but when I listened to a dry 5-string bass guitar track (even at quite high volume) I didn't hear any offending artifacts.
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

Try to listen through a bassdrum sample library => pain in the arse
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

So all items of the a7x have this low end rattling problem? Or are these fawlty units? If so i'll try it in the store, and return them till i got 2 good items.
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Adam has some serious quality issues.
I have A7 and like most people on forum have same buzzing cone issue with sine test.When I returned them for service maintenance to a dealer, they told me that never heard of this problem and they are solving only if something is wrong in electronics?!
Also one speaker is more prone to this problem and on that one tweeter started do deform
I listened the A7x when the guy who works there auditioned problem on my A7 and there was port noise on loud volumes but definately no buzzing from cones on A7x !!!!!!!
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Head

people please back to topic

to all speaker-beaters and bass-crankers: if you want to talk about port noise or rattling go to another treat...this is boring
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronto View Post
people please back to topic

to all speaker-beaters and bass-crankers: if you want to talk about port noise or rattling go to another treat...this is boring
Who are you to judge?? This is a serious issue, and people should be able to be informed about this.
Old 15th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
Who are you to judge?? This is a serious issue, and people should be able to be informed about this.
Agreed, I was looking at the AX series, but this sounds very troubling. I'll probably still listen to them, but those Avants look promising to me at this point. I hope the bass on them is loud enough and of course I hope they sound good overall. There's also a release date of September according to Full Compass.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

I compared A3X with some others at the store. A3X sounded more bass than any others at lower volume. However, it sounds distorted when I turn them loud. It looked like the woofers moving so much to produce low end, it goes over the limit sooner than other monitors.

I checked with my MSP-3 with sign-wave sweaping at low frequency and I noticed that some frequencys disapear and rattle. I remembed some monitors distort quicker than others when I solo the kick drum at high volume in studio. I think this is a common issue with front ported near-field monitors.

I don't turn them that loud at home so this won't be a problem. I like my ears and I believe I can hear it more accurately when they are at softer volume.

The store don't have A5X and A7X in my country. I can't wait to compare them and purchase.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Does anyone here know how the new A7x and A8x's compare to either the Focal CMS65 or Acoustic Energy AE22's?
Old 16th June 2010
Gear Maniac

The AE22s look like they got some good reviews, but they need an amp. I can't find any US pricing. How much would they be total including a decent amp to power them?
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

The AE22's that I'm looking at are powered and cost £800 and pair over here!
Old 16th June 2010
Gear Maniac

British pounds? So that's $1185 US apparently. Seems like a fair price for an 8 inch woofer. They're supposed to be really good?

I looked at the website and they only had a link to the US office for distribution, which I guess means they will be difficult to audition. I should contact them to see if I can listen to these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search