The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL_ View Post
...Just want some feedback from ADAM customers like myself. Interested in any feedback from ADAM customers regarding different models.
Hey SL,

I'm still a happy p11a owner, too bad Adam discontinued these but I guess thats understandable...

I'll probably upgrade to a more hi-fi oriented system but main reason is I'm getting more into mastering and I some how want more "natural" sound for monitoring when mix'ing too...so I will not discontinue with adam's due to any quality-wise reason but just need a different sound.

I do hope I won't have to sell my p11a's though, as they're excellent to magnify any audio source+its not easy to make them sound good and I love that with the p11a's

To be honest I still didn't listen to the AX series but if you're looking for an upgrade, keep an eye on for used adam p33a's too. I couldn't afford them new at the time but I'd expect good deals over-time. To me they can do exactly what p11a's can + sound more balanced, also maybe its just me but I liked them more than s3a'a at the time...they were less boxy sounding.
Old 5th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL_ View Post
I imagine S-series are the safest bet as they only feature one air port (like P11A's).
May that be a key to why people are getting in a trouble with A-series? Those have 2 ports
The original A7 had one port and some people were noticing air noise as well. IMHO, difference between A (A-X) and S (S-X) series is mainly in the woofer and amps.
Old 6th June 2010
Gear Head

Are there any Adam reps that can speak on behalf of this port noise issue?
Old 6th June 2010
Here for the gear

Port noise is explained in ADAM's FAQ on their site:

"Question: I am experiencing some air noise from the tube holes in my speaker (a bit like driving in a car on a highway with open windows). Any solution to this problem?
Answer: This is something typical for bass reflex speakers. When you play music with very low frequencies at high volumes there is a lot of air motion, which can cause these noises. If you play music with also higher frequencies you won't hear it anymore. The only thing you can do is put something into the reflex tubes and "close" them. But if you do so you will loose some bass response. This is something that cannot be avoided when using bass reflex speakers."

But I think this is not the case with evosilica's "rattling" A8X problem. At least I hope.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixx View Post
Port noise is explained in ADAM's FAQ on their site:

"Question: I am experiencing some air noise from the tube holes in my speaker (a bit like driving in a car on a highway with open windows). Any solution to this problem?
Answer: This is something typical for bass reflex speakers. When you play music with very low frequencies at high volumes there is a lot of air motion, which can cause these noises. If you play music with also higher frequencies you won't hear it anymore. The only thing you can do is put something into the reflex tubes and "close" them. But if you do so you will loose some bass response. This is something that cannot be avoided when using bass reflex speakers."

But I think this is not the case with evosilica's "rattling" A8X problem. At least I hope.
Jeez what a lame excuse for poor bass reflexion. Never had this problem with my Krk's.

Im also highly interested in the A8x but this is holding me back
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I agree. Do other Adams have this problem as well? I listened to some S2As, I think they were, and they sounded good.
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

just a/b'ed the a3x's and the a7's..

my mind is blown away. the a3x's are in the bag.

the a3x actually feels like the low end goes down further than the a7's. granted everything was at neutral and its hard to get an accurate assessment as the a7's have the mid hi and lo switches and a3x don't.

still though, at this price, its a steal....and theyre pretty tiny!
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

I think the port noise issue is the case why all A-X series monitors have 2 bass ports (compared to A7 which had only one). There's more port volume so the air probably doesn't have to move so fast and therefore doesn't cause that much noise.
That's just my imagination, correct me if I'm wrong ;-)
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
just a/b'ed the a3x's and the a7's..

my mind is blown away. the a3x's are in the bag.

the a3x actually feels like the low end goes down further than the a7's. granted everything was at neutral and its hard to get an accurate assessment as the a7's have the mid hi and lo switches and a3x don't.

still though, at this price, its a steal....and theyre pretty tiny!
Wow, so you say the A3X sound better than A7? Now I'm really starting to look forward for my pair of A7X's
I just hope I won't experience the "mechanical rattle issue" like evosilica did with his A8X's
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

not better, just comparable.

to my ears the a3x's were able to be pushed harder and louder than the a7's.

the a7's still had noticeably better imaging, but that could just be due to the size of the a7's in comparison to the a3x.

still though, the a3x's are a no brainer.

incredible little things.

i cant imagine how incredibly powerful the a7x's are.

Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for sharing your experience thumbsup
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hello

Guys I have an awful small 3 x 3,5 (circa) isolated (wil treated) room. And I would like to put inside the best monitors as I can.

What is your advice?
Do I put a subwoofer as wel?

I would like to get the best for the space!

Please help me!!!

Thanks!!!!
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

Well, you could give A3X's a try ;-)
The dimensions are 3 x 3.5 meters? How high is the ceiling?
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hey bros!
Just got the chance to listen to the A7X side by side with the A7s today.
They are good, but I couldn't believe my eyes.
You know that they mentioned for the A7 that the woofer is a 6.5" right?
And for the A7X that it is a 7" woofer.... WRONG!
The same woofer - same size.
But in an email they confirmed this and didn't deny it, which was very cool, and they replied within 30-40 minutes. Great people over there!

The highs seemed duller compared to the A7s (no changes on the back panel on either model, all at 0).
But in all the A7X seemed fuller, with more depth/soundstage.
After a few listens I decided to try and raise the tweeter level by 1 dB (2 clicks) and WHAM! A whole new world..... everything seemed well balanced, just a pleasure.
The A7s just sounded thin and hissy.

I wanted the A7X blindly, but now I know for sure.

Go Go ADAM AUDIO!

Cheers!
Old 7th June 2010
Here for the gear

The woofer might be the same size (although it's strange - A7X indeed should have a bigger woofer) but it's certainly not the same. The A7X has a bigger voice coil.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Been using A7's for my location work. Sick and tired of carrying them around... maybe I should get the A3X's...
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

Any in the USA shipping A5X and A7X yet?
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, you could give A3X's a try ;-)
The dimensions are 3 x 3.5 meters? How high is the ceiling?
Thank you I write you on pm to avoid OT

apologize the ot anyway but I was in the ballpark without friends around!

Old 8th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I have had a pair of the new A3X on my desktop for the last week.

For vocals and acoustic instruments they are nothing short of remarkable.

They also go surprisingly low (60Hz) and flat for such a small box. Provided you have the right material. Constant pumping bass completely throws them.

I get the tearing or buzzing effect several other correspondents have mentioned in addition to the expected port chuffing.

If you are interested in electronic music of any kind I'd be sure to give them a particularly thorough listen beforehand. Otherwise - great, even rock is usually ok because it's slower.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

I recieved the second A8X today. Same problem. It's really sad, i've spent a lot of time the last week mixing in mono on one A8X and i love this speaker. it's a huge improvement to my RP6 in every aspect, but for me the port noise is inacceptable for the money, even if you only hear it under certain conditions. but these conditions are not rare in electronic music.

I've recorded the A8X and the RP6 to give you an impression what it sounds like.
(40Hz sine, linear volume rise, through a cheap AKG perception 120 50cm away)

no drastic volumes at all (estimated speaker movement on the A8X on the loudest passage: <+-5mm, second A8X slightly louder)
The RP6 on the other hand is almost on its limit to reach the same volume at 40Hz, it's just too small, pretty heavy speaker movement, but still it doesn't produce such noises.

i know it's not scientific, but it gives you an impression.

don't know what to do right now, i can't find a good alternative in this pricerange and i really like the adam sound for mixing.
maybe i should go the A7X + SUB8 route?

ps: just ignore the bird-noise in the background, thats not part of the speaker-noise heh
Attached Files

A8X 1.mp3 (179.6 KB, 1570 views)

RP6.mp3 (182.9 KB, 1323 views)

A8X 2.mp3 (195.9 KB, 1385 views)

Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

Man, sorry to hear that.
How about limiting the LF response with a high pass filter? Or put foam plugs into the bass ports?
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
I recieved the second A8X today. Same problem. It's really sad, i've spent a lot of time the last week mixing in mono on one A8X and i love this speaker. it's a huge improvement to my RP6 in every aspect, but for me the port noise is inacceptable for the money, even if you only hear it under certain conditions. but these conditions are not rare in electronic music.

I've recorded the A8X and the RP6 to give you an impression what it sounds like.
(40Hz sine, linear volume rise, through a cheap AKG perception 120 50cm away)

no drastic volumes at all (estimated speaker movement on the A8X on the loudest passage: <+-5mm, second A8X slightly louder)
The RP6 on the other hand is almost on its limit to reach the same volume at 40Hz, it's just too small, pretty heavy speaker movement, but still it doesn't produce such noises.

i know it's not scientific, but it gives you an impression.

don't know what to do right now, i can't find a good alternative in this pricerange and i really like the adam sound for mixing.
maybe i should go the A7X + SUB8 route?

ps: just ignore the bird-noise in the background, thats not part of the speaker-noise heh

Try to get a pair of the p22a.They do not have these issues at all.Shame they dont make them anymore.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, sorry to hear that.
How about limiting the LF response with a high pass filter? Or put foam plugs into the bass ports?
i already tried to close the bass ports, they are quiet then, but the bass response was the reason i bought them, so it don't make sense to me
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

Maybe experiment with thickness of the plugs? You might try to find the point where bass response is still good and the port noise becomes inaudible. I know it's not ideal but it could be a temporary solution until you manage to get a subwoofer. I'm getting a pair of A7X this week... I wonder how will they perform in the bass range.
I'm going to work mainly on rock music so I hope port noise is not going to be an issue for me.
Could you please post a specific piece of music where you can hear the port noise of your A8X's? Just for reference. Thank you.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Maniac

This port noise issue seems ridiculous to me, especially if the KRKs don't have that problem.

I'm feeling very disappointed because I had my heart set on the AX series after hearing that tweeter on the S2As. I thought Adam had fixed the lack of bass issues some people were complaining about with the A7s, but now there's port noise. So I'll have to go back and pick something from my shootout.

Since I write electronic music with a lot of bass what would you recommend as replacements to the A7X/A8Xs?

I've heard people really like the new Focals, but when I heard them, and maybe it was the listening room, Dynaudios sounded better. The only thing left for me to shoot out are the budget Yamaha MSPs.
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

The port noise on A7X should be lower than it was on the A7.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho Geist View Post
This port noise issue seems ridiculous to me, especially if the KRKs don't have that problem.

I'm feeling very disappointed because I had my heart set on the AX series after hearing that tweeter on the S2As. I thought Adam had fixed the lack of bass issues some people were complaining about with the A7s, but now there's port noise. So I'll have to go back and pick something from my shootout.

Since I write electronic music with a lot of bass what would you recommend as replacements to the A7X/A8Xs?

I've heard people really like the new Focals, but when I heard them, and maybe it was the listening room, Dynaudios sounded better. The only thing left for me to shoot out are the budget Yamaha MSPs.
focal cms65 are amazing, but need time to burn in.. and just keep sounding better and better to my ears.. also there are new Avant(avatone) monitors coming they look very powerfull, and a good looking price
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-monitors.html

but if you save for the focals i dont think you can go wrong.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tip on those Avants! If this is true it's something it looks like Adam could learn from

"One other thing to note: the mid and tweet are in a sealed partition of the cabinet, leading to tighter response and preposterously low crosstalk. The subs are in a ported partition. The partitions are filled with Dacron to kill any speaker resonance. The entire cabinet, other than the port, is fully sealed (right down to the pots, jacks, and switches....all speaker baskets are gasketed and the backplate is gasketed as well to ensure zero air leakage."

I look forward to checking those out. Very interesting design.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you please post a specific piece of music where you can hear the port noise of your A8X's? Just for reference. Thank you.
Here's a quick example. First two bars dry, last two bars the recorded A8X. The volume was high, i wouldn't want to listen any louder for a long time. But it is obvious.

Not sure if it is a big deal with rock.
Attached Files

Phoenix intro on A8X.mp3 (229.8 KB, 1108 views)

Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Here's a quick example. First two bars dry, last two bars the recorded A8X. The volume was high, i wouldn't want to listen any louder for a long time. But it is obvious.

Not sure if it is a big deal with rock.
Wow, that IS a bass-heavy track! Maybe it's because I'm not that familiar with the habits in electronic music area but to have musical content in range 40-60 Hz about 30dB louder than at other frequencies seems brutal to me
That is your own mix?

EDIT: Just to clarify: I'm not trying to jugde that track, I'd just like to find how much is this port noise issue relevant for general use

Frequency response attached
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-bass-heavy.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search