The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

Any new opinions? A7 vs. A7x vs A8x?
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
Hi Big Bang and thanks any help is appreciated thumbsup but no i definitely did not use the monitors at such a high volume. I checked the connections: all cables are plugged in. I will send them to thomann this or next week

I noticed there are 2 knobs on the backside of the panel. They are protected with a little cap so that you cant touch them. I pulled the caps off and changed the positions of the knobs now my monitors sound different than before what could that be? I think you can change the volume intensity with these filters. Never seen that on the Adams A7
A7 has some hidden buttons too but i have no clue what they do...
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Head

since two weeks I own a pair of ADAM A7X with subwoofer SUB 8 and they are excellent tools. analytic but pretty nice sounding when the mix is right, really valuable and perfect customer support. I like them very much. I was able to improve my mixing skills in a very few sessions, drastically.

best investment for my studio since 10 years. now I can HEAR my music.

future_former
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Addict

anybody heard the A8X so far?

it's already available in few countries...
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Maniac
Ditto on the A8X
?
Little bigger, little more $$
Little more
?

None of the Ax series are Canada yet to audition.

B
Old 24th May 2010
Here for the gear

So confused now!

I'm producing some EDM but I'm also in to other stuff like Pop / Acoustic / Rock / Hip-Hop. I'm so confused on what I should be looking at now. My room will be well treated with RealTraps and is kinda small 15 x 13.

Should I be looking at A7X + sub or A8X?

The thing is I have neighbors, so I'd prefer a way to not always have the extra bass response, but at the end of the day I want what is very best for the music.

Please enlighten me guys, I'm open to look at different brand as well if you feel its best for this situation (not too big on waiting a month for these).

Thanks!!
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

I ordered the a8x on friday. should get them this week. I can send them back within 30 day so let's see if i will keep them or not heh
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
A7 has some hidden buttons too but i have no clue what they do...

3 buttons beneath the little rubber caps on the backpanel? those are amplifier calibration buttons.
Old 25th May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjax View Post
I'm producing some EDM but I'm also in to other stuff like Pop / Acoustic / Rock / Hip-Hop. I'm so confused on what I should be looking at now. My room will be well treated with RealTraps and is kinda small 15 x 13.

Should I be looking at A7X + sub or A8X?

The thing is I have neighbors, so I'd prefer a way to not always have the extra bass response, but at the end of the day I want what is very best for the music.

Please enlighten me guys, I'm open to look at different brand as well if you feel its best for this situation (not too big on waiting a month for these).

Thanks!!
Bump, any one? Please
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
I ordered the a8x on friday. should get them this week. I can send them back within 30 day so let's see if i will keep them or not heh
Please let us know!
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjax View Post
Bump, any one? Please
It's probably best to start a new thread for you question but i would think the A8x should be enough to show what's going on in the low end.
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Addict

yes, they really should be enough... YouTube - Adam AX Series Speakers - Musikmesse 2010 the A8X's look gigantic compared to the A7X's in this video...
Old 31st May 2010
Gear Head

bump
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Here is a pic from our booth at MIAC in Toronto 2 weeks ago. The front of the booth with ADAM S4X-H, A5X and A8X with our 24bit/96kHz 5.1 demo theatre behind it. For size reference, there's an A7X facing into the center of the booth (the centre channel of our 5.1 demo)

Andy
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal View Post
Please let us know!
Here we go. I recieved a A8X today, yes only one Hopefully the second one arrives tomorrow.

I set it up beside one of my old monitor (KRK RP6) to compare in mono. I listened to 3-4 house tracks. First impression - wow this speaker sounds bright, but in an enjoyable way. Switched back to the KRKs - wow how could i ever listen to them. heh
Hard to describe, I never regret buying the RP6, only not to buy a sub with them. But compared to the A8X they just sound mid-heavy and somehow mushy and almost bassless. Switching back to the A8X is really a relief, sounds more flat and detailed. Very good lowend, for me no sub is needed, just perfect.
Then i opend up some recent projects and i could imediatly detect some flaws in the low mid range, bad reverb levels and a little overuse of compression, i've not recognized on the RP6. Changed the settings a little and it sounded better, also on the RP6 in mono and stereo and on my headphones where i started these projects.

So just when i was about to fall in love i played a track with a very low kick and heard something rattling. and yes it comes out of the ports. i moved everything away from my desk and even lifted the speaker in the air to be sure. when performing a sine sweep it starts from ~25Hz and stops at ~ 68Hz and it only occurs above a certian level which is unfortunatly below the level i usually work, and i do not work at very high levels. i don't know what it is - it does not really sound like air noise but like something mechanical inside.

i'm curious how the 2nd A8X behaves. I really hope it's just an issue with this concrete speaker, cause i love the sound of it. but if this is normal i'll send them back. inacceptable for me when paying 1200€

so i can't wait for the other a8x to arrive....
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

Cool Evo! Thanks for the heads up!

I do have one question:

I find that 8 inch - 2 way monitors - lack a little definition in the low-mid area - 90-250 Hz maybe - do you find the kicks on well known songs - are punchy and "in your face"?

For exemple try - Rock that body - Black Eyed Peas:

I tried it between Adam A7 (6.5 inch) and RCF Mytho 8 (8 inch) and found that on the Adams that kick drum had more deffinition, more punch, it was more present that on the RCF Mytho 8 - on which the kick seemed like it was in the background - missing detail in the 90-250 Hz area (by ear only...no analyzer or anything).

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2010
Gear Head

"For exemple try - Rock that body - Black Eyed Peas:"

hmm maybe not the best reference song, i find the kik weak
Old 1st June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Here we go. I recieved a A8X today, yes only one Hopefully the second one arrives tomorrow.

I set it up beside one of my old monitor (KRK RP6) to compare in mono. I listened to 3-4 house tracks. First impression - wow this speaker sounds bright, but in an enjoyable way. Switched back to the KRKs - wow how could i ever listen to them. heh
Hard to describe, I never regret buying the RP6, only not to buy a sub with them. But compared to the A8X they just sound mid-heavy and somehow mushy and almost bassless. Switching back to the A8X is really a relief, sounds more flat and detailed. Very good lowend, for me no sub is needed, just perfect.
Then i opend up some recent projects and i could imediatly detect some flaws in the low mid range, bad reverb levels and a little overuse of compression, i've not recognized on the RP6. Changed the settings a little and it sounded better, also on the RP6 in mono and stereo and on my headphones where i started these projects.

So just when i was about to fall in love i played a track with a very low kick and heard something rattling. and yes it comes out of the ports. i moved everything away from my desk and even lifted the speaker in the air to be sure. when performing a sine sweep it starts from ~25Hz and stops at ~ 68Hz and it only occurs above a certian level which is unfortunatly below the level i usually work, and i do not work at very high levels. i don't know what it is - it does not really sound like air noise but like something mechanical inside.

i'm curious how the 2nd A8X behaves. I really hope it's just an issue with this concrete speaker, cause i love the sound of it. but if this is normal i'll send them back. inacceptable for me when paying 1200€

so i can't wait for the other a8x to arrive....
Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same problem in the low frequencies.
I've had my A8x pair for 2 weeks and yes the frequency response is great and the new X-ART is a great improvement but when I started playing some eurotrance tracks, I immediately noticed a strange noice coming from the air tubes, sounds like the woofer is broken, This kind of worries me because I'm doing electro and hip-hop music which requires high sound levels and tight bass.
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronto View Post
"For exemple try - Rock that body - Black Eyed Peas:"

hmm maybe not the best reference song, i find the kik weak
Yes, not the best at all. But when going through songs in my playlist, this was the one that made it obvious between a few sets of monitors in the 90-250 Hz range (or so)...
So I thought I'd point this one out.

Cheers!
Old 2nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

This doesn't sound good about certain low frequencies causing rattling on the A8Xs. Does anyone have a pair that don't do this?

I'm hoping it's an individual defect and not a design flaw because the A7X/A8X models are the monitors I'm most interested in. If it is a design flaw I'm sure Adam will go back and R&D a fix, but that will take some time.
Old 2nd June 2010
Here for the gear

Pro Audio FAQ | ADAM Audio GmbH

Question: I am experiencing some air noise from the tube holes in my speaker (a bit like driving in a car on a highway with open windows). Any solution to this problem?
Answer: This is something typical for bass reflex speakers. When you play music with very low frequencies at high volumes there is a lot of air motion, which can cause these noises. If you play music with also higher frequencies you won't hear it anymore. The only thing you can do is put something into the reflex tubes and "close" them. But if you do so you will loose some bass response. This is something that cannot be avoided when using bass reflex speakers.
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is something typical for bass reflex speakers. When you play music with very low frequencies at high volumes there is a lot of air motion, which can cause these noises.
I can crank up a 40 Hz sine on my KRK RP6, also bassreflex - 200€ each, until the speaker is almost jumping into my face without hearing what i hear from the a8x even at moderate levels. Of course the RP6 produces air noise at high levels, but on an acceptable level. the a8x i have here produces a rattling kind of sound, that i find very annoying.

Quote:
If you play music with also higher frequencies you won't hear it anymore
unfortunatly you do hear it. the "signal to noise" ratio is just too small.

but i still hope it's just an issue with this speaker and the other a8x is fine. beside the rattling its an excellent speaker i'd really like to keep.
Old 2nd June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
but i still hope it's just an issue with this speaker and the other a8x is fine. beside the rattling its an excellent speaker i'd really like to keep.
Hope it really is an issue of that one particular unit. I'm buying a pair of A7X's next week. Definitely keep us posted! Good luck
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear

I called my dealer today. The 2nd a8x has been sent to the wrong adress. It will arrive on tuesday. This clearly deserves a double facepalm
Old 2nd June 2010
Here for the gear

Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Addict

man... that's bad to hear, since there are many people producing bass heavy music, me inclusive... if i'm right there was an issue with the S3A too which caused some strange noize when played under certain conditions... thats the bad disadvantage with front ported reflex speakers...

was about too buy a pair... let's wait and see how this ends.
Old 4th June 2010
Here for the gear

Hey Guys

Currently I'm choosing between the A7x and the S1x.

My friend got 2 A7x's since 3 weeks. One woofer didn't work, so he sent one back.

We also noticed that the one speaker left, causes rattling when we play some bass heavy eletronic tracks

I heard the S1x today and it was amazing. Think I'm buying this one, I hope with the S-Series these kind of problems won't happen.

Greetings
Old 4th June 2010
SL_
Gear Nut

WOW!
Really surprised with the recent feedback about A8X.
My first (and only) purchase from ADAM was P11A. When I have set those up... felt in love obviously. Now after few years I won't say they are the best monitors out there, but for the price and at the time I was buying... probably the only option really.
Now after hearing about new X-series I was seriously considering to upgrade. Was hoping for improved bass response as well as X-ART, as P11A's are sometimes a bit harsh in very particular cases and mid-range starting to kind of bug me out. But the later is probably due to my room. Other then that...you can mix on 11A's and gues what... material will sound exactly the same everywhere. I used to re-mix nearly every single project to meet customers needs. Not with 11A's. Mix it once and get the check.
Now with regards to this air noise and some rattling thing going on...11A's don't do that with me. I was seriously considering upgrade in a few month time. Now I think I will keep my 11A's and either invest more in my room (which is the way to go anyways) or wait till I will be able to afford S3X.
Did anybody here switched from P11A's recently? What your experiance?
Also, did anybody listened to any of the S-series? Especially interested in S2X....and yes, you can tell me how S3X are great too.
Just want some feedback from ADAM customers like myself. Interested in any feedback from ADAM customers regarding different models.
Old 4th June 2010
SL_
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertine89 View Post
Hey Guys

Currently I'm choosing between the A7x and the S1x.

My friend got 2 A7x's since 3 weeks. One woofer didn't work, so he sent one back.

We also noticed that the one speaker left, causes rattling when we play some bass heavy eletronic tracks

I heard the S1x today and it was amazing. Think I'm buying this one, I hope with the S-Series these kind of problems won't happen.

Greetings
I imagine S-series are the safest bet as they only feature one air port (like P11A's).
May that be a key to why people are getting in a trouble with A-series? Those have 2 ports
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

I am on p22a and i love them.No rattle or port noise even on ear blasting volumes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search