The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The bombing starts in 5 minutes.

War
Starting to Deploy in T-minus, 10, 9, 8, 7...

Using the ADAM ART Folded Ribbon Laser beam guidance system the target will be acquired between your ears.
Old 29th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Starting to Deploy in T-minus, 10, 9, 8, 7...

Using the ADAM ART Folded Ribbon Laser beam guidance system the target will be acquired between your ears.
Watch out for our new task force, the O-Bombers...!

War
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Watch out for our new task force, the O-Bombers...!

War
You mean the Obama's?
Old 29th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

Well yeah! Didn't Scott Brown teach you anything??

Do you guys listen to the Dead Kennedys on your monitors up there?

War
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Well yeah! Didn't Scott Brown teach you anything??

Do you guys listen to the Dead Kennedys on your monitors up there?

War
Holy @#$& War,

Are you wire tapping our office?

I have a A5 behind my head playing mono DK right now.
Old 29th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

You can't listen to DK in mono...dead Kennedys are all around you!

War

Wiretap? Um......................no not really. I have an internal spy!
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

How bouts the Ax8's?? Anyone tried em out yet or is it still too early?
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

I think there is more excitment over the war than adams new monitors
Old 5th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
I think there is more excitment over the war than adams new monitors
Mine still haven't arrived yet, short delay, then stupid bank holiday and today the driving couldn't be bothered to ring the bell whilst I was waiting for him..., I HATE couriers, what a complete pain the backside they are!
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

I've just been reading a review of the Adam A7x's here :-

Adam A7X studio monitor review part one | DV247s Musical Notes

Adam A7X studio monitor review part two | DV247s Musical Notes

These certainly look extremely promising!!
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

Yeah I read those but the source is a shop wanting to sell speakers so
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If you haven''t already done so, check out the Focal range. Let me know your room dimensions (you can IM me if preferred). Also, many stores, including DV, will often permit try-before-buy especially when you are a long way from them.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryrobson View Post
If you haven''t already done so, check out the Focal range. Let me know your room dimensions (you can IM me if preferred). Also, many stores, including DV, will often permit try-before-buy especially when you are a long way from them.
I am interested in the Focal range but these seem to be out of my budget! I would like to spend up to £800 for an active pair.

The Focal CMS 50 seem to be the only ones within this price range but I would like something bigger than a 5inch speaker ?
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am interested in the Focal range but these seem to be out of my budget! I would like to spend up to £800 for an active pair.

The Focal CMS 50 seem to be the only ones within this price range but I would like something bigger than a 5inch speaker ?

Don't dismiss the 50s until you've heard them. Focal's attention to LF is excellent and, more to the point, accurate. The soon-to-be-released CMS40 outperform all others in their price bracket and many other larger, more expensive monitors! DV have just published their own thoughts of the CMS 40 on their blog pages.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryrobson View Post
Don't dismiss the 50s until you've heard them. Focal's attention to LF is excellent and, more to the point, accurate. The soon-to-be-released CMS40 outperform all others in their price bracket and many other larger, more expensive monitors! DV have just published their own thoughts of the CMS 40 on their blog pages.
Ok I'll give these a listen aswell!
Old 6th May 2010
A7X's arrived here, and after a little hick up with the tweeter connecter coming off in transport (which i reconnected very easily myself) I am so far very happy.

The speakers def need some burn in. The bottom end sounds slightly "boomy" at the minute. Id blame it on my room (which isn't great) but I had the A7's for a couple of days (with a problem with the crossover, hence them going back and being upgraded) and the A7's were ex-demo which meant they'd already been "burnt in' for a while, the bottom end was very smooth on them.

The sound to me is very similar between the two, but these are definitely better. I wouldn't say so much that theres "more" bottom end...I mean "more" would be wrong if it was accurate before wouldn't it. But the bottom end is a LOT more capable. I was noticing A LOT of port noise before now not so much.

If you're working on bass heavy stuff I wouldn't go as far as DV and say you DONT need a sub. But rather you dont need one to know whats going on down there. You could mix without a sub easily. When writing and auditioning kicks and bass un-processed you're still gonna get a bit of port noise as you do on anything but the biggest guys so perhaps a sub could help hear or just monitor slightly lower at that point.

High end is perfect to me, its the same as the A7 but perhaps slightly more revealing. The people saying its too bright or too much are frankly wrong. It actually brings out mistakes on songs (like the horrendous Keri Hilson one, that song gave me ear ache when I listened to it on IEM's) - ive listened to a lot of WELL MIXED hip hop/pop/r'n'b on these today and theres been no problems with top end at all, its crisp and revealing.

I kind of describe it a little as "top end hi-fi" after years and years of ONLY listening to flat studio speakers when I heard a nice hi-fi setup it nearly blew my head of how crisp the top end is. Imagine that on a set of studio monitors but also very very revealing rather than just musically appealing.

Im going to break them in for another couple of weeks yet to hope to bottom end smooths out a little bit more and perhaps gets a tad deeper as it seems just very, every so slightly light compared to the mid and top at the minute, but after hearing the A7's im pretty sure its just due to them being brand new and very "tight" at the moment.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post

Im going to break them in for another couple of weeks yet to hope to bottom end smooths out a little bit more
I don't think you need couple of weeks. Just play lots of music over the weekend and then get back to us and let us know what you think please.

Thanks for the review :-)
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Mine just arrived !! weeee!

breaking them in as I write!

First impression goes in the flow of others. Great low end !!! The tweeters are also much more pronounced, had to adjust them -3db, I can certainly hear even more detail in my ref tracks.

I also prefer the green led to the blue one's heh

....ahhhh
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Mine just arrived !! weeee!

breaking them in as I write!

First impression goes in the flow of others. Great low end !!! The tweeters are also much more pronounced, had to adjust them -3db,
Really? I didnt find this AT ALL. They are not more pronoucned, or brighter, or more harsh, or louder.

All these things would be incorrect. They wouldn't give a neutral response of the sound.

Just because the tweeters go to a higher frequency (of which is almost 3x what the ear can actually hear anyway) doesn't mean its suddenly boosting the top end by 3db!

The difference in the top end between these as the A7's is they are more "revealing" they are NOT "brighter" - they have the Adam sound all their monitors are known for, which as I said, is a bit like a top end hi-fi, only revealing and detailed rather than just musically appealing (in that top end hi fi tends to blend sounds together in an appealing way rather than reveal - obviously as you'd expect)

I think the sound is very well balanced.

In the same way there is a bigger woofer and two ports - this doesn't mean the bottom end has been "boosted" or is louder. Its AS balanced as the top end and the rest of the speaker, its just more capable of reproducing more bottom end and more detailed top end...but it still has the same frequency response as all other Adams...its just better and clearer at reproducing it.

Honestly I wouldn't say the top end is "light and day" between A7's and A7X, I think people are getting caught up with the numbers (that we can't actually hear) too much. They are just very detailed and revealing perhaps a few percent so more (and more importantly they create a more detailed and separated stereo image) than the A7's

Bottom end is rounding off nice on mind, left them on over night, they have revealed a few problems with my room than the A7's were more forgiving of though, so just working on that.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Just because the tweeters go to a higher frequency (of which is almost 3x what the ear can actually hear anyway) doesn't mean its suddenly boosting the top end by 3db!

The difference in the top end between these as the A7's is they are more "revealing" they are NOT "brighter" -
Nor have I stated otherwise! In fact, I share your views every line!

When I say pronounced, I do not mean in volume, but response. And my next line was all about how it brings out a bit more detail to the top end. Never said they were brighter. What might have led to confusion was my -3db adjustment... my bad for inducing you, the A7's were tweaked the same for this room, its treated but I don't like overly dampened rooms, so I do aprreciate a light squeeze of (non-early) reflections.

What I would suggest, personally being very sensitive to high's, is that because the tweeter shoots further up, the ribbon can go cleaner up to 20khz. That does in fact boost the top end, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it ''different''. Its the same, yet better.

there is nothing night and day about these vs A7's. It it very very nice to have the extra bottom end, but like I've said dozens times before, I never thought the A7's lacked low end, just what you hear is well represented but for certain genres, double check the subs.

But because it now extends a bit further down too, I'd say they're even more balanced than before, and therefore I predict they be more comfortable to work with long hours. I have noticed I monitor a bit lower with these, but this is just my day one, lets see with time...
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Well I just have to come in here and retract part of my previous post.

Left them running with a nice long playlist of everything (trance to rock to jazz) overnight.

My breakfast consisted of some pretty sweet, room filling, bass!! I confirm that there is no marketing hype, these speakers do pack a fine fine extra dose of low end response, not just a little extra like I stated above.

Yesterday I could feel the lows, but today they are much more dynamic and smooth. Yup, today I do feel a significant upgrade from 7's to 7X.

Old 8th May 2010
Gear Maniac
Anyone have a listen to the A8X?
I have the original 20/20Bas from Events and think I'm ready to jump up a few notches in quality.
Not sure if the A7X's would have enough boom in them for me.
They are not available here in Canada till middle to end of May...
Grrr.
Price seems right at about $1800.
Hmmm

Talk soon

Brian
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Head

Have the a7x here since 1 hour

First impression is good!

they have a really strong bass! and they sound very bright.(compared with p11a, Focal Solo )

i like them
Old 10th May 2010
Ok,

I also retract my earlier statement about "boomy-ness" as I hinted there, that was a room problem.

Ive now moved the room around and put them on speaker stands on aurolex pads too - I think now they may be TOO isolated. Although perhaps for once Im hearing true flat bass response!

My ears have adjusted to them very quickly, I just hear them a decent set of nearfield monitors. I almost forget they are there!

I *think* i'll add a sub, the Behringer Truth sub I have at the minute is horrendous, slow with no cross over adjustment as the bass frequencies he works on are so high up I can hear wherever its positioned in the room which is mightly annoying. So im looking for a small, compact punchy sub...

...Not because there is no bass on the speakers, far from it. I can HEAR everything I need to in the bottom end, no guessing what so ever. But being a bass head and writing bass driven tracks I would be nice from time to time to feel the energy in the bottom end by enabling the sub - its nice to be able to open up that lower octave and get some energy into the track for inspiration while writing more than anything.

Again would like to re-iterate these speakers are not "bright" at all, they are perfect, clear and transparent and most of all revealing. Everything sounds like it SHOULD and you can hear it. These speakers are NOT BRIGHT others are muffled and unrevealing. I can actually hear the detail in the top end here if I need to...ive found things in commercial records ive never heard before. But most of all the sound is balanced and open from top to bottom.

Honestly would recommend these to anyone - just some additional points that haven't been raised thus far from my experience with A7's.

amp knobs now have 0db in the middle which clicks into place - so you're not guessing as before. Also at 0db there is no audible hiss, if you boost the amp to the very top you can hear hiss (as you'd expect) but 0db is a perfect setting for the amps in my room driven by a Apogee Duet, ive not been able to drive the Duet to full volume without fear of blowing the speakers so..

Hiss as I mentioned is a lot less than the A7s and of course the dual ports make a BIG difference. I think I'll be keeping the A7X's for as many years as they last/I can get spares for them...I can't see the need in owning another nearfield monitor in my lifetime to be quiet honest, not unless technology changes massively in the next 30 years of course!
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Head

okay did some quick measurement A7X vs Focal-Solo.

exactly same Position, all EQs - 0 db.

Red trace = Focal solo

Blue trace = ADAM A7X

you can see(and hear the A7X had a lot more power between 50-150 Hz, but dramatically rolls off below 50 Hz.

i personally prefer the Bass of the A7X.
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-12345.jpg  
Old 10th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronto View Post
okay did some quick measurement A7X vs Focal-Solo.

exactly same Position, all EQs - 0 db.

Red trace = Focal solo

Blue trace = ADAM A7X

you can see(and hear the A7X had a lot more power between 50-150 Hz, but dramatically rolls off below 50 Hz.

i personally prefer the Bass of the A7X.
Hey Pronto,

Thanks for that, big help. I think if I get a sub I'll want to have the cross over around 60-80hz then, enough to pick up where the Adams start to drop off (and enough to give them a bit more breathing room so they can be pushed slightly harder) but low enough so my sub IS actually creating no directional sound...

...at the moment the Behringher seems to be kicking out boomy slow bass at a cross over of about 200hz!! Wherever it is you can fully hear the direction its coming from!!
Old 10th May 2010
Here for the gear

I'm in desperate need of a a7x vs a8x comparison

Right now I have hs80's and I'm kinda used to the low end of the 8" driver, I am afraid that the a7x might not be enough.

I mix mainly rock/metal/hardcore music
Old 10th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfkx View Post
I'm in desperate need of a a7x vs a8x comparison

Right now I have hs80's and I'm kinda used to the low end of the 8" driver, I am afraid that the a7x might not be enough.

I mix mainly rock/metal/hardcore music
Im sure you'll find the A7X plenty of bottom end for that style of music its probably the least bass heavy of all music genres...you can hear exactly what you are doing on the A7X's so you'll have no trouble mixing it at all.

If you write and produce (and mix) music which is bass driven and orientated though I think you'd need a sub just to switch in occasional just so you can feel the energy of the bass so essential to making those styles of music complete, but not because you dont know whats going on down there like for instance say on with a pair of NS10's.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

I hope I dont come across as trolling this thread, it is really not my intention. Its just that I am VERY excited about my purchase.

I can't remember a time before where I have spent so much time working. Been at it 16-18h a day since last Friday. A bit of deadline, lots of excitement over new gear (and I owned the A7, so go figure)... and now, and so soon, I think I am ready to give my final word on these.

I got them on Friday, worked on them and posted my initial views above. Left them to break in overnight, and what an unexpected surprise, the low end was astonishingly warmer and untied (but not as is not having a tight low end, they were ''chained in'' before break in).

The very first thing I notice is the fletcher-munsen loudness thing... I now clearly monitor at lower volumes, which is much more pleasant and much less tiring! Like MUCH less. with the 7's I would crank them up to flatten the response to get the ''fulness''... not so much cranking now.

Even at critical mix stages, where I usually am at 85-90db, depending on genre, the 7's could tire a bit for the reason I just stated. I am at such stage with a project right now, with high freq distorted guitars, and time just flies by with much less ''in-ear-compression''. Fantastic workflow upgrade.

These are super revealing speakers, a step up from A7's - nothing to write home about, but noticeable. I mean, I put on a double bass jazz record (had a friend over who play d-bass, so I was ''showing off'' my new gear heh)... I knew what to expect, but I just instinctively looked at the speaker expecting to actually see Mr. Dave Holland there... I mean, you can feel the string snap right there in front of you. Amazing!

That was when I noticed a strange buzz... (more on that later)

So to sum up.. I am 100% glad to have sold my 7's in favor of the 7x's. After many years of searching for the right speakers I found the 7x to have everything I loved about the 7's plus everything it was said to ''lack'' - the low end. I have heard enough electronic music to understand I do NOT need a sub, but then again, I do no electronic composition! For the musician, they might appreciate one. They are open in every sense of the word, from top to bottom. If it were food, I would say ''wild acacia honey''

about the frizzle-buzz thing...

What at first I thought was port noise, I then inspected to find cabinet resonation... of all the music I played on these, deep and slow double bass makes these adam frizzle like crazy.

So I went ahead and tested them with a sine wave generator... result, I'm sending one of them back. Someone care to please run a quick check too?

around 52hz - both produce a bit of port noise, but not above it

My left speaker frizzles like nuts around these freqs

(note, not precise findings, just a quick cubase sine generator sweep going up in steps, using the mouse wheel)

120 to 128 - a bit
184 - 195 - ouch
341-357 - nuts!

Anything other than double bass or constant sinewave does not produce this frizzle, sounds like something got loose inside, right cabinet is dead quiet.

Appart from this finding, I have nothing but the highest regards for these speakers, and I have no gripe with these manufacturing/shipping issues. So much sh*t happens with transport that I do not blame Adam. When you get a good set they last an eternity, when they're bad they quickly reveal it. These are soooooo good for the money, I would just keep sending faulties back until I got a good pair.

In my book they truly deserve the award for the ''Ultimate Best Under 1000 Awards''
Old 10th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
The very first thing I notice is the fletcher-munsen loudness thing... I now clearly monitor at lower volumes, which is much more pleasant and much less tiring! Like MUCH less. with the 7's I would crank them up to flatten the response to get the ''fulness''... not so much cranking now.
Couldn't agree more with this mate.

Its very useful for me especially as I have neighbours. I actually find weird how quietly I can monitor and still hear EVERYTHING in the mix, theres actually no need to crank them, infact even when I have the chance I chose not to because I can hear everything I need. Its actually weird to get my head around hearing the same thing at various low volumes.

I will test the resonance problem for you. I had a shipping problem with one of mine as the tweeter connecter had popped off in transit. Perhaps it could be a slightly better and tighter clip but other than doing that, not really Adams fault - I just hope they can keep the amount of these issues down compared to the A7's

I had weird port noise on the A7's as the crossover was different from one to the other...I'll try the sinewave sweep (although I am scared of revealing any problems now they are working fine!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search