The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

hei everybody, great forum.

i have a question regarding the a7x and port noise.

i have the posibility to get some used a7x from february 2011, with still waranty on them. but i think its possible that they are from before the port noise update.

the guy who sells them sounds reputable but unfortunatly he is kind of moving and stuff and ther isnt really the possibility to listen to the speakers.

well my question is, if they are 300 € less the new price is it worth to go through all the retrofitting process?
i have read a bit in this post and it seems like lot of people got new speakers back?
will they still do the retrofitting on these speakers?

just send him a massage asking for the serial number which would shad some light on the hole thing.

the problem is i want to pick em up personally and of course it isnt in my town, but in a other town i am passing through tomorrow. so it would be easiest to do it tomorrow. go there and have a close look and maybe buy em.

unfortunatly the adam service line isnt on during the weekend, and first possibility to call them about the issue would be monday, the day after tomorrow...

so he says he writes ma a paper stating that the speekers a working perfectly and stuff, but he himself didnt used them for bass heavy stuff, so he probalby didnt even noticed.

well best thing would be if they just dont have any port noise issue and work probably, then it would be a real good deal and all.

would really be heappy about an awnser today

love and thanks,
xakea

edit: different thing, now regarding the a5x. i calles adam yesterday and wantet to know how toe see if speakers are from before or after the update and they told me that the a5x havent had an update becours they dont have a port noise issue?? then i went to a music store to listen to some speakers and i really liked the a5x but then i listend to a sine sweep i brought on a cd and there was a kind of ratteling sound in low frequency, maybe at about 60 hz or i dont know. even in a not to loud volume. and when i switched to different monitors, even small krks for less then half the price they didnt hat that issue. do you think this possibly was something like port noise or was it just a broken speaker?
Old 1st September 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from Adam. It might come next week or it might come next month.

When I finally did hear back from them they couldn't even tell me by serial number if mine were pre/post port fix.That made no sense to me. I had long since sold mine anyways though as I put them up for sale the day after they arrived. Anyone buying these for dance music with loud sharp kick drums is taking a gamble on the port noise. You pretty much have to just roll the dice I'm afraid.
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

hehe the last time i tried calling them which worked quiet fine

yea i decided now for the b stock at thomann 425€ eache. mainly becourse of the 30 days money back warranty and stuff. can have them in my room and test them and see... 150€ more for the new ones compared to the used ones...
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Just to chime in. My experience of Adam support was excellent. My a7x were replaced with brand new speakers when I complained about port noise (I had the early version with this problem). They were replaced fast, within several days. Just contact Adam if you have this problem and they will be fixed or replaced.
Old 3rd September 2012
Here for the gear

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with pricing a pair of used Adam A3x's and Adam Sub 8. The Monitors were used for about 2 months and are pretty much new. The sub is in excellent condition. I upgraded to A7X's and need to sell the rest and upgrade my sub. What would be a fair price for these?

Thanks in advance
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

Would Adam agree in sending the flangs to me? i got uber pro friend who can do that very easy! anyone got some experience with situations like this?
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1 View Post
Anyone?
Just email and ask them? I'm sure they would. Alternatively the turnaround is pretty fast if you send them for repair. At least it was for me.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Just email and ask them? I'm sure they would. Alternatively the turnaround is pretty fast if you send them for repair. At least it was for me.

It can't be fast, where is the nearest Adam factory (I'm from Balkans) do they pay shipping in both ways?
Old 26th March 2013
aoc
Gear Head

Hey, does anyone know if A3X is getting a successor soon, as they seem to be out of stock in quite many places?

I would like to know if it's worth waiting or not. Thomann says they get them in stock after two months
Old 8th November 2013
Here for the gear
Volume nob

Hi I am using my adama8x's with a German made big nob what volume Should I set the Adam individual master volume controls to?
Old 19th April 2014
Here for the gear

hello people...I 've just purchased a pair of adams a5x for use with my pc...

I removed them from their boxes to examine them and then decided to put them back (for safety reasons), before installing them properly...
I made a mistake, and one of them, was inserted "backwards" (there is a "small hall" in the safety-foam in order the on/off button & volume-nob to have some space), and as a result there was a lot of pressure on the volume-nod, from the "safety-foam" of the box...you can imagine the picture...safety-foam was pressing the nob...

I noticed it almost immediatelly, and put it back, the proper way....

you think I have damaged the volume-nob by doing this?...in order to avoid having issues with buzzing and noise from the volume-nob, when increasing/decreasing the nob, we must be gentle with it...is this correct?

I have not tested them yet to see if there was something wrong, because I am waiting for their stands, and then I will install them and see...
I know that I am propably overreacting about the issue I had, and propably I wont't have any problems, but generally speaking, how much fragile and/or sensitive, these things are(on/off switches-volume-nobs etc)?...and moreover, is there anything we must pay attention to, with active monitors in generall, in order to maintain them in "good condition" over time, and avoid any issues?

I don't have any previous experience with active near fields monitors, but I have auditioned them and liked their sound a lot, so I decided to go on and buy them...

thanks
Old 19th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Probably be okay, only way is to have a look,
Old 19th April 2014
Here for the gear

thank u ECM...

stupid of me to do so...agree with you...only way to know, is to check them in action...

hope everything will be ok...
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Maniac

A7X vs Focal Solo 6BE for electronic music (mainly)? (Small room, treated)
Old 10th October 2014
So today I've ordered a pair of Adam A7x to use them at home! I'm so so so sooooo excited! Can't wait to mix on them!
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear

I listen to Alesis Passive M1's purely for consumer reasons , while watching tv. I've had them for 20 years, but now it's either my ears or the monitors that are crapping out ( probably my ears, as I'm a drummer) . i watch tv in a tiled room, and the monitors are sitting in a tight space on a wooden cabinet. Can anyone recommend some active monitors , as I don't want to go the home stereo route. Adam/Genelec/Tannoy/Focal? Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old 13th October 2016
It depends on your budget. For 1000 Euros Adams would be great.
Old 18th October 2016
Gear Head

Adam A Series

I am the moderator for Adam.
The Adam A series are selling as strong as ever. there are certainly many fine speakers out there. Also many people do not understand the need to work on your acoustics or proper placement. These will hurt the sound of any great speaker.

There are 1000's of very happy Adam customers that are making music as I type.
All the best.
Scott E
Old 19th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
So today I've ordered a pair of Adam A7x to use them at home! I'm so so so sooooo excited! Can't wait to mix on them!
Hi! I can tell you that I've had the P22A's, S3A's, and A7X's... all with the sub 8 and when the crossover and volumes are set properly, the sub 8 def adds some extension/ tight fundamental lows that I have found to be very helpful to both tracking and mixing sessions.

I'm currently using JBL 4412's w GFA 555 amp but am an adams enthusiast and they are a joy to not only work on but also for audiophile listening.

Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudd View Post
I listen to Alesis Passive M1's purely for consumer reasons , while watching tv. I've had them for 20 years, but now it's either my ears or the monitors that are crapping out ( probably my ears, as I'm a drummer) . i watch tv in a tiled room, and the monitors are sitting in a tight space on a wooden cabinet. Can anyone recommend some active monitors , as I don't want to go the home stereo route. Adam/Genelec/Tannoy/Focal? Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.
What's your budget? There are plenty of good options out there!
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Ax3 and sub 7

Hi guys,
It's been a while, but I ended up buying a pair of Ax3's , with a Sub 7.
That was in Nov., and I'm having a hard time connecting them to a new Denon AVR-X2300W receiver , to use with my tv/cd player /dvd.
I'm not tech savvy, so I called Hellotech. The tech said I may need to go banana out to xlr on the Sub. I don't think that will work, as I'm afraid it might fry something. The receiver has a pre-out subwoofer, but is that going to work ?
It's been a month now, so any help appreciated. It's Xmas though ,so I'm sure it will take a while, which is fine. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudd View Post
Hi guys,
It's been a while, but I ended up buying a pair of Ax3's , with a Sub 7.
That was in Nov., and I'm having a hard time connecting them to a new Denon AVR-X2300W receiver , to use with my tv/cd player /dvd.
I'm not tech savvy, so I called Hellotech. The tech said I may need to go banana out to xlr on the Sub. I don't think that will work, as I'm afraid it might fry something. The receiver has a pre-out subwoofer, but is that going to work ?
It's been a month now, so any help appreciated. It's Xmas though ,so I'm sure it will take a while, which is fine. Thanks
Usually you can take the sub pre-out from the amp and drive the sub off it. This sub also seems to have outputs for satellites (i.e. you Ax3s), so you could take the stereo pre-out of your amp into the sub, then connect the Ax3s to the satellite outputs on the sub. This is probably the best way to connect things up, as the sub will provide an 85Hz high pass filter to the AX3s, pulling low bass away from them and keeping the midrange nice and clean at higher volumes.

Also, make sure you are not driving any of the Adams with the speaker power output of the amp; these are usually on banana plugs. All your speakers have power amplifiers in them, you could fry them.
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head

Hi, 2 weeks ago I went to pick new monitors for my production studio. Checked BM12a but for my taste not revealing enough. I liked the Neumann 310 but too expensive for me. Compared all the usual suspects: Focals, Dynaudio BM 5 and 6, the new LYD's, JBL, HEDD, Adam, Neumann. We liked the Adam A7x best but they lack bass. Mmmmmmm...... went for several two way 8 inch models. Terrible balance when turning up the volume, bass driver messed up the sonics. Then tried the A7x with Adam Sub 8 and bingo ! The low end I needed without sacrificing the overall balance.
Mind you.... they need at least 3 day's of burning in before the tweeter settles in.
Old 24th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1511 View Post
Usually you can take the sub pre-out from the amp and drive the sub off it. This sub also seems to have outputs for satellites (i.e. you Ax3s), so you could take the stereo pre-out of your amp into the sub, then connect the Ax3s to the satellite outputs on the sub. This is probably the best way to connect things up, as the sub will provide an 85Hz high pass filter to the AX3s, pulling low bass away from them and keeping the midrange nice and clean at higher volumes.

Also, make sure you are not driving any of the Adams with the speaker power output of the amp; these are usually on banana plugs. All your speakers have power amplifiers in them, you could fry them.

Thanks for the help. I tried connecting like that but no sound . Maybe I need a different receiver / power amp etc? Anyone have any contacts on the Houston area? It's been 2 months now and no luck . I need someone that really knows this stuff. For now though, Merry Christmas to all.
Old 29th December 2016
Here for the gear

Sesterson01 has been a big help, so I'm returning the Denon receiver , and looking at the Marantz SR6010. If I come out of the subwoofer on the Marantz to the Adam Sub 7, and from the left and right on the Marantz to the Ax3's, will that work ? The left and right outputs are next to the sub out on the pre out .Once again , thanks to all for the help, as I'm very inexperienced at this.
Old 25th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snamreton View Post
Hi, 2 weeks ago I went to pick new monitors for my production studio. Checked BM12a but for my taste not revealing enough. I liked the Neumann 310 but too expensive for me. Compared all the usual suspects: Focals, Dynaudio BM 5 and 6, the new LYD's, JBL, HEDD, Adam, Neumann. We liked the Adam A7x best but they lack bass. Mmmmmmm...... went for several two way 8 inch models. Terrible balance when turning up the volume, bass driver messed up the sonics. Then tried the A7x with Adam Sub 8 and bingo ! The low end I needed without sacrificing the overall balance.
Mind you.... they need at least 3 day's of burning in before the tweeter settles in.
Have you tried Eve SC 207 or 208?

What was wrong with HEDD monitors?
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Head

Hi, nothing 'wrong' with the Hedd but for my taste/ears less musical. We found the A7x more open but still easy to listen to. You need to check them Side by side to make your own decision. Take some reference recordings you know really well to the store, that help's quitte a bit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search