The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Head

can all of you guys who received your adams back from retrofit tell me if you got brand new ones or your old ones with fix ?
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Maniac
Brand new
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Brand new
Old 21st October 2011
Here for the gear

A3X/A5X + Primacoustics RX5-UF?

Will the A3X/A5X tend to slide off the RX5-UF with its ten degree inclination/declination? As I see it, the Adam A3X-STANDS have a rear lip to prevent such an occurrence. So the question is essentially one or the other:

1. Primacoustics RX5-UF (Up-Fire)
2. Adam A3X-STANDS on top of Primacoustics RX5-HF (Horizontal)

Which way to go?
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Head

@ seclusion & kedbear: are you guys from EU perhaps ? Ive purchased A8X for my son and he received the "broken" ones, it was last year, so we sent them to repairs to adam in germany. I guess theres no difference between fixed ones and new ones...but still, the smell of fresh gear is always welcome in my casa heh
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Head

btw if you receive new ones, does it reset the warranty ? also does anyone know how exactly does retrofit go ? what do they change actually ?
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hello everyone, i'm new here and i have a question about Adam a7x.

How do they translate mix on low volumes and how they behave in not treated room (i have carpet and room is quite big 16 sq.m)?

I often have to work at night and my neighbours are old problematic people.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaz View Post
@ seclusion & kedbear: are you guys from EU perhaps ? Ive purchased A8X for my son and he received the "broken" ones, it was last year, so we sent them to repairs to adam in germany. I guess theres no difference between fixed ones and new ones...but still, the smell of fresh gear is always welcome in my casa heh
I'm from Canada, it took a while to get the new ones back, they wanted the old ones back first!
No idea on warrantee, they've been great since the replacements to!
Good luck
B
Old 25th October 2011
Here for the gear

Got a pair of brand new ones too after I sent them in
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by divaz View Post
From the good ole EU yes. Fixed and new no difference i'm sure but nice to have new, also my old ones had a slight imperfection to the cone glueing, the new ones are perfect. Great service from ADAM and respect to them for listening to customer feedback and creating the fix in the first place. I'm a fan.
Old 6th November 2011
Here for the gear

I was comparing these 2 Freq graphs.

http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...tereo_1010.pdf
????? ? ???????????? ???????? ????????? ???????? ???? Adam A5X

The 2nd link shows it to be -6 at 60hz, while the first link is completely different.

Anyways, my main question; does the A5x have the flange fix?
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm note 100% sure of what I'm gonna say but I thought they didn't have the probleme because of the non circular shape of the event.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 7th November 2011
Here for the gear

According to TR-AXE, the A5X do suffer from the port noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-AXE View Post
@GEARUSERTOO. Im sorry. Yes the speaker was the A5X. The A5X's also have the rattle. I tested all the speakers i named earlier. I will give credit were credit is do. The a5x's were sweet. They sound better to me than the original A7. The A5X's are very clear with the mids and highs. These speakers made me keep coming back to them every time i switched, However the rattle, the rattle, the rattle. They also had little low feq. Im stuck because i love the sound that comes out of all of the adams, It's just the "port noise". If there is a fix soon or even an mk2 version, Im on them. To hear the rattle, you have to play a bass heavy song. Try a song that uses whole notes on the low end. don't get me wrong i like the speakers but i want to love them. Please adam get rid of the port noise and make me happy. I would love to give you my money. I have to give it to adam. the speaker sounds so good that dispite the undisputed issue people are still buying them. lol. I would too but i dont want to get stuck with the flangers when adam fix the model.
Old 15th November 2011
Here for the gear

Problems with my new A7X

Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of A7X at Thomman (Germany) and first of all I have to say that I'm really happy with this beauties. Anyway I have a problem with them since I discovered that both are faulty after a couple of days:

- One of them has a little crack on the plastic/kevlar reinforcement coming from the center of the cone. I contacted Thomman about this and they agreed to replace this unit.

- The other one has a bump/deformity on the rubber which surrounds the 7" cone. When I contacted Thomman regarding this they asked me for some pics and after check them this was their answer:

"Our technician said that it's not a fault and this is just part of the moulding. It could be exactly the same thing if you send it for a replacement which is why we don't take it back."

After this I have contacted ADAM's Support and they asked me for some pics to check too. They haven't answered me back yet.

First I would like ask you guys if any of you have had the same problem with this bumps/deformities in your ADAM speakers, and if so, have you manage to get a replacement from your store or ADAM?

Secondly, what do you think about the "moulding process fault"? To be honest, I can't hear any problem regarding the sound and maybe it won't affect the performance of the speaker (don't really know yet), but I hardly believe that a speaker with such a deformity can pass any quality control. Basically what bothers me is that I paid for a brand new speaker, not for one with a "moulding process fault".

Waiting for your advice guys,

Thanx
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Post some pics
Old 20th November 2011
Here for the gear

There you go, two different speakers - two different problems.

New AX Series from ADAM-speaker1_bump.jpg

New AX Series from ADAM-speaker2_crack.jpg
Old 21st November 2011
Mine don't have this bump. Perfectly smooth.
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

ARTist 3

No issues with the cone diaphragm, or the surround here...

Posted my initial impressions of the ARTist 3 over at Head-Fi. Arrival of ARTIst Sub (7) pushed back until tomorrow, or Wednesday. Temporarily routed through a Velodyne F-1200 w/ high-pass enabled and low-pass at 100 Hz. The Primacoustic RX-5-UF stabilizers are not quite high/angled enough to suit my height and seating habits, but that is a personal quibble. 72 hours with them has improved my understanding of its midrange delivery, sub high-pass cleaned up the low-mids with great effect. The ARTist 3 really needs a sub to take the large amplitude wave duties away from it. Would have liked to see an integrated amp heatsink as the rear cabinet can get rather warm under continuous use (I'll mark the temps and accompanying ambients with a Fluke and Kestrel at a later time).
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Head

A8X arrived last week, I`m testing them everything seems fine but i hear noise, but not "port noise" i hear quite hiss even when no cables connected to A8X, i seen this on A7X too, is this normal??
Old 28th November 2011
Here for the gear

so every ADAM autorized dealers discarted the old ones with port noise and should only be selling the "new ones"? Or there are still some getting sold?
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Nut

Im glad i found this thread, but in the same time i'm "disappointed" by the lack of Adam a3x port noise tests, and general data about how they sound etc.

So i will try to be clear as possible.

1. Do you think this speakers (A3x) will soung quite good for music playback? nothing professional.

2. Do they have active crossover? if not is this a no go? what is the disandvantage of having/not having it?

3. Do they sound good on low volume?

4. What settings i should use them on? i mean when paired with Xonar STX i should avoid touching the software EQ right, btw i dont get the fuzz about DACS and digial vs analog audio, some say digital is better some analog, what is the true behind this?

5. How to tell if your getting the new series (with A3x? what serial numbers?)

6. Would you buy speakers from store shelfs? i meant open ones, and put for sale, like a marketing unit, for the and to test how it sound as well, should i ask for discount on this kind of speakers, or just insisst to order completely new (if they got no un-packed ones)

Thanks!
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OFU_ View Post
I was comparing these 2 Freq graphs.

http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...tereo_1010.pdf
????? ? ???????????? ???????? ????????? ???????? ???? Adam A5X

The 2nd link shows it to be -6 at 60hz, while the first link is completely different.

German tests of German products, are too optimistic. I think this Russian test, are closer to the truth.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1 View Post
Im glad i found this thread, but in the same time i'm "disappointed" by the lack of Adam a3x port noise tests, and general data about how they sound etc.

So i will try to be clear as possible.

1. Do you think this speakers (A3x) will soung quite good for music playback? nothing professional.

2. Do they have active crossover? if not is this a no go? what is the disandvantage of having/not having it?

3. Do they sound good on low volume?

4. What settings i should use them on? i mean when paired with Xonar STX i should avoid touching the software EQ right, btw i dont get the fuzz about DACS and digial vs analog audio, some say digital is better some analog, what is the true behind this?

5. How to tell if your getting the new series (with A3x? what serial numbers?)

6. Would you buy speakers from store shelfs? i meant open ones, and put for sale, like a marketing unit, for the and to test how it sound as well, should i ask for discount on this kind of speakers, or just insisst to order completely new (if they got no un-packed ones)

Thanks!

Bump :(
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Nut

Come on guys, no one knows?
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
I will answer some for you

They would be okay for music playback and can go quite loud but they lack allot of bass, infact they are very very weak in the lower end, even the A5X lack quite a bit of bass, but are better then A3X.

The port noise issue is gone on newer models, on this thread somewhere there was someone who posted an answer from Adam with a serial. This serial was the first model to have the fix and any monitors with a serial up from that has the port noise fixed (You would be very unlucky if you got port noise, it would mean you got sold VERY old stock)

You can get B stock or ex Display, they are usually fine. The A3X will have a nice top end, and OK mid range but no bass, but really the A3X should only be used if you want very light use from your speakers with no bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlocomartos View Post
There you go, two different speakers - two different problems.

Attachment 263799

Attachment 263800
These problems are not normal, seems you was sold ones with cosmetic faults, though not sure if the faults could effect sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodin View Post
A8X arrived last week, I`m testing them everything seems fine but i hear noise, but not "port noise" i hear quite hiss even when no cables connected to A8X, i seen this on A7X too, is this normal??
This is not normal no. Should be no hiss noise.
Old 3rd December 2011
nms
Lives for gear

I bought a pair of A7X hoping they'd work for me and listed them for sale the same day. Port noise on every kick drum for house music. Nice work guys, might want to develop a new port design. The cabinets and port design on my KRK VXT6 absolutely DESTROY any cabinet Adam ever built in terms of acoustic design and durability. I emailed them with the serial numbers to ask if I'd somehow gotten a pair that was pre port fix but a month later I've still heard nothing back from them. They've been sold long since then anyhow as I moved to Focal Twins. I can't see myself buying Adam products again.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
I bought a pair of A7X hoping they'd work for me and listed them for sale the same day. Port noise on every kick drum for house music. Nice work guys, might want to develop a new port design. The cabinets and port design on my KRK VXT6 absolutely DESTROY any cabinet Adam ever built in terms of acoustic design and durability. I emailed them with the serial numbers to ask if I'd somehow gotten a pair that was pre port fix but a month later I've still heard nothing back from them. They've been sold long since then anyhow as I moved to Focal Twins. I can't see myself buying Adam products again.

You got sold the old stock of the A7X, which is quite old now, the issue has been fixed for months and only the VERY old stock has the issue. I'd suggest getting hold of your supplier about it as seems they just flogged you on some of their very old stock which where probably returned from a customer before and sold as new, or they was just old stock sitting around for ages.

Majority don't have issues, so I'd just say you was unlucky. Some have issue's with KRK/Focal also, (Major problems with Focals quite allot had actually) but such as the Adams it's not the majority, if you do have a problem then your unlucky / or got sold a dodgy pair.
Old 3rd December 2011
nms
Lives for gear

No one has problems with the ports on the VXT's because they are designed far better, not to mention their cabinets seem bomb proof. Either something is designed right or it's not. Never in my life have I heard such widespread monitor problems than with the Adam port issue. The Adams I had were bought new from guitar center in April. As I mentioned I got rid of them the same week I got them so I don't need to worry about them anymore. They had some good points but the low end sound was much nicer on my VXTs, though not as much headroom.

Meanwhile, when I emailed Focal with a question about serial numbers on the used pair of twins I was grabbing I heard back from both Simon & Michel in the same day! They gave me the thumbs up and said they'd look after me if I ever had a problem. Adam had a chance to impress me with their product and then with their support but failed on both accounts.
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
have I heard such widespread monitor problems than with the Adam port issue. .

Then you are mistaken, guess you don't know about the whole Focal CMS fiasco, huge amount of problems people had with buzzing etc, (There is a massive thread on here somewhere about the Focal's and loads other threads, here's one thread ) similar stuff for some KRK's also.

Of course they should of answered you back and normally they do so very quickly ( I get a response from Adam within 2-4 days normally)

But what am saying is there's a fair share of problems from each manufacturer, so it's unfair of you to solely bash Adam for having a problem just because you had it yet ignore the issues with other manufacturer models which have been / or are present.

My A7X work like a dream, and have a good few friends with Adam's who never have had issue's. I also had two sets of Focal CMS and had no issues which a massive amount of people had with them (Such as the buzzing) It's as said; you have to be unlucky to get such problems, I've not had bad luck with monitors so far, all worked like a dream (touches wood) but it's not the case for every bit of hardware I've owned / or owned.
Old 4th December 2011
nms
Lives for gear

What style of music do you use them for primarily Jomox?

The only widespread issue anyone had with the VXT was the occasional RFI that many monitors share, which is a nonissue compared to something like the Adam port issue. KRK's cabinet design is light years ahead of Adam's. I'm not here to have a useless debate whether any company ever has defective speakers go out the door as they all have them. With the Adams it was due to the design rather than a faulty unit which turns me off greatly. How could they let them go into production that way? And how is it that while they were made well aware of this issue over a year ago there would still be speakers selling in stores in April of this year like that?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search