The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
People say that Focal have a more natural and less bright sound then Adam, so i think they are more suited for electronic & house music. I don't like my Adam A7 for electronic music at all, they are too bright for my ears.
Maybe the focal then. I really don't like over bright - It makes every track I play sound thin and harsh. Too dull though and that sucks just as much - I guess it's all about balance
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Wait for the new Focal CMS40s - due here end May - there is an overview of them on Digital Village's website.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear
I guess P-series production has ended? :(
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Maybe the focal then. I really don't like over bright - It makes every track I play sound thin and harsh. Too dull though and that sucks just as much - I guess it's all about balance
Adam A7 are imo too bright, too thin and tight in the mids and lack lows, while most people who compared Focal CMS series with Adam A7 said that Focal have much better lows and nicer mids and more natural sound.

I will ordered Focal CMS 65 today, gona replace my Adam A7.

Adam says that their new A7X have much better low end and a wider frequence response but i overall simply don't like Adam sound, it's not that great to listen and the new A7X go up to 50kHz while A7 to 35kHz so they will probably be even more bright and unnice to listen.
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryrobson View Post
Wait for the new Focal CMS40s - due here end May - there is an overview of them on Digital Village's website.
Why are so many people saying wait for the new CMS40, it make it sound like they are better then 50 and 65, i think i need biger then 40, at least 50, but i will go for 65, because i want a nice bass.

My room is also not that small at all, it's 4.5m x 4.8m with a diagonal roof, which goes up to 2.8m don't know how to say different, so i guess CMS 65 are best suited for this size or not?
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why are so many people saying wait for the new CMS40, it make it sound like they are better then 50 and 65, i think i need biger then 40, at least 50, but i will go for 65, because i want a nice bass.

My room is also not that small at all, it's 4.5m x 4.8m with a diagonal roof, which goes up to 2.8m don't know how to say different, so i guess CMS 65 are best suited for this size or not?
That's a good size room. If you run loud, then maybe the 65s are the ones. Alternatively, the 50s or 40s c/w the CMS-Sub. If it were me - I'd favour that.
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryrobson View Post
That's a good size room. If you run loud, then maybe the 65s are the ones. Alternatively, the 50s or 40s c/w the CMS-Sub. If it were me - I'd favour that.
I don't have a treated room so i think the CMS 65 are a better option then 50 or 40 with sub.
Old 20th April 2010
Quote:
Would you say the a7x (or a8x) were very suitable for electronic music - techno & house music?

Nice to hear they're a lot smoother than the hs80s - Are they a lot smoother than any other monitors you've tried?

For me it's probably going to be between (Acitve) Focals cms (solo 6 at a push), Adam (AX series), Dynaudio or (Passive) PMC T2b / ATC / Proac studios.
Hey man, you must hear the dyns. They are very dynamic, got a great imaging and can go loooww! I'm using a pair of BM6A here, and i had listened to adams (way too bright - i can hear aliasing on almost everything, front port produces turbulence noise) and genelecs (great punchy and fast bass transient, harsh metallic highs). I think theres no better option for electronic music in this price range. You can check my mixes at Larski - Tracks - SoundCloud

Also consider some room treatment.
Hugs
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

any news?
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

my room is a little biger than yours, poorly threated too. I have CMS50. No problemo for me. Bass is really ok. play with the distance from rear walls, and rear kobs to adjust the way u like it. of course for electronic music u'll need a sub but even then a lot of people prefer not to use it all the time and looks obvious to me why. either you'll choose wont be wrong. i may remind you 2 little things: 1st both are NEARfields and 2nd some complain in unthreated rooms with the CMS65 they get in trouble with bass freqs. empty room is a b*tch so actually 50's should be better. theoretically.

PS even the mids from A7 are thin, i agree with that, the tweeters are from Mars (the planet). listen 'em a lot and find them to be the best complementary speakers with CMS50's. and i 've already ordered the new A7X, they say the bigger woofer coil, extended tweeter freq resp and 2 reflex holes will improve mid/bass response. Hope so. Anyway, sometimes i can't fight back the gaerslutizm in me. So i spend money on 2 pairs of monitors, not expecting to make profit too soon.. wtf can i say? gearmoron is me but feels good.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSeRe View Post
my room is a little biger than yours, poorly threated too. I have CMS50. No problemo for me. Bass is really ok. play with the distance from rear walls, and rear kobs to adjust the way u like it. of course for electronic music u'll need a sub but even then a lot of people prefer not to use it all the time and looks obvious to me why. either you'll choose wont be wrong. i may remind you 2 little things: 1st both are NEARfields and 2nd some complain in unthreated rooms with the CMS65 they get in trouble with bass freqs. empty room is a b*tch so actually 50's should be better. theoretically.

PS even the mids from A7 are thin, i agree with that, the tweeters are from Mars (the planet). listen 'em a lot and find them to be the best complementary speakers with CMS50's. and i 've already ordered the new A7X, they say the bigger woofer coil, extended tweeter freq resp and 2 reflex holes will improve mid/bass response. Hope so. Anyway, sometimes i can't fight back the gaerslutizm in me. So i spend money on 2 pairs of monitors, not expecting to make profit too soon.. wtf can i say? gearmoron is me but feels good.
Ok now you really confused me, i already settled for CMS 65 now you make me think

Ho does CMS 50 bass compare to Adam A7, i really find Adam A7way troo weak. The thing is im doing various styles, like orchestra, trance, progressive... so i need some more bass.

Would you still recommend CMS 50 over 65 if you consider i do all this different styles of music.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok now you really confused me, i already settled for CMS 65 now you make me think

Ho does CMS 50 bass compare to Adam A7, i really find Adam A7way troo weak. The thing is im doing various styles, like orchestra, trance, progressive... so i need some more bass.

Would you still recommend CMS 50 over 65 if you consider i do all this different styles of music.
didn't want to confuse you
trance progressive... IMO: CMS 50 + sub. BUT if you cant afford right now, go cms65 and a pair of GOOD cans. it's tricky with cans but overall it works acceptable. i confide in ATH-m50 but there's a lot of choises. and of course buy sub later. as u know, "rely on what u have and u know" is the formula. so never underestimate the sub from your 5.1 home audio. yep, sooner or later you'll need a sub.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSeRe View Post
didn't want to confuse you
trance progressive... IMO: CMS 50 + sub. BUT if you cant afford right now, go cms65 and a pair of GOOD cans. it's tricky with cans but overall it works acceptable. i confide in ATH-m50 but there's a lot of choises. and of course buy sub later. as u know, "rely on what u have and u know" is the formula. so never underestimate the sub from your 5.1 home audio. yep, sooner or later you'll need a sub.
You are saying that CMS 65 can be a problem in a untreated room then i can't see why do you recommend me a sub, sub is probably even a biger mess in a room without treatment.

I think i should just go for CMS 65 because im pretty sure 50 won't have enaugh bass for my likings but 50 could probably provide a better clarity, yay im so confused now.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Head

looks like u don't get it.
In an empty, unthreated room A LOT of freqs will be TROUBLE. and bass OF COURSE. but since u need for your type of music, what do you prefer? Not hearing at all the freqencies or listen them including the resonances, and sh*t, get use to, and try to "see" the truth behind?

Actually the 1st step is to treat, even only primary, the room. After that get what monitor want. You'll handle the job.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

anyone tried A7x Vs a7 ?

Thx
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
anyone tried A7x Vs a7 ?

Thx
yep here the a7x totally own the a7 but i think i will keep the dynaudios bm5a because they sound more natural to me.

i listened to knock you down by keri hilson on the a7x and it seemed like i can touch the hi hats with my hands
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
yep here the a7x totally own the a7 but i think i will keep the dynaudios bm5a because they sound more natural to me.

i listened to knock you down by keri hilson on the a7x and it seemed like i can touch the hi hats with my hands
What is your room-size?

are not you scared about not bass freq enogh on dyna5 ?
Have you tried the Yamaha MSP7 as wll?

The song you listened got h.h. above, actually.

Thanks

I have small room 14 ft.(gonna be treated) I would like to have 2 good speakers with out subwoofer and listen the bass freq well.

For orchestral, solid rock and atmosphere. I was dynaudio oriented.

Best
A.
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Head

my room is 5 x 4 meters

no the bass is perfect for me on the dynaudios
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
my room is 5 x 4 meters

no the bass is perfect for me on the dynaudios
Isn't perfect?

or

is perfect?

:-)

Best
A.
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Head

it is perfect!

i think dynaudio is the way to go for hip hop/electronic music, adam is better for rock/classical music but thats just me.
Old 27th April 2010
Well my A7X are arriving tomorrow. I love the A7's for the very short time I had them, while they had enough bottom end to hear what was going on, they just bottomed out on what I put through them quite early.

Looking forward to the A7X (Hip Hop and Electronic Music of all types here, would have liked to audition the Focals CM50's but stuck with Adam for now...)

Coupled with a pair of NS10's and my Sennheiser HD650's (with Kimber cable) and my Sennheiser IE8's - I think ive got enough monitor sources to cover everything to get a good idea whats going on.

Now ive currently got a cheap Behringer Truth Subwoofer. Can anyone recommend a nice sub to match the A7X - the Adam sub is no go for me because of the lack of footswitch to bypass it (even my Behringher has that!) Ive looked at the Genelec and Focal subs, but I dont really want something that costs more than the AX7...

...I usually know whats going on in the speakers alone, and only occasionally want to reference the sub (hell maybe the Behringher will just do the job for that?)

Also any tips on burning in the A7X's, how long, what volume and what sort of source material?
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Also any tips on burning in the A7X's, how long, what volume and what sort of source material?
keri hilson feat. kanye west & ne-yo - knock you down

you will be surprised :-)
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
keri hilson feat. kanye west & ne-yo - knock you down

you will be surprised :-)
I dont think i'll be subjecting them to such torture

Drums are horrendous on that track, as is the rest of it.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Mine are a couple of days away weeeeeee heh

It amazes me how people spend so much money on speakers, continuously upgrading for a better sound, usually side by side with more volume, no treatment at all thinking its ok because its nearfields plus high volume at the sweat-spot...

They make their choices based on whatever, deciding and knowing it was a good decision, then after the gearslutness high, bitch about how horrible this or that so I have to upgrade to have that or this... perpetuating the cycle.

No one here can hear above around 20khz, so the argument that because they go up to 50 they're going to produce harsher sound... whaaaaat ??

Talking Nyquist theory (not on sample frequency rate, the original theorem!) then yes, the higher the freq response, the truer the psychoacoustic representation. If the sound is harsh compared to others, the others have a curve going up to 20khz or little beyond and are less representative. That and your untreated rooms which will overly kill and emphasize lows and mids, but always thrash the highs to harshness!! So the answer is to get even bigger and better speakers...

NOOOO !!! measure your room !! Dont spend money until you understand basic acoustic principles! That is the reason for those little knobs at the back, to tweak the freq response of speakers!

NOT to compensate for the room, but for slight adjustments that were not able to be made TO THE ROOM itself!

Old 28th April 2010
Here for the gear

Got my ADAM A7x today in the mail (Musik Schmidt in Germany has them already). I'm coming from some 8 year old Yamaha MSP5, so i was expecting a lot.

And Yes, they sound fantastic!
The highs: Crisp, transparent without fatigueing my ears. You can touch the highs in front of your face. (i heard some adam a7 a year ago and i really can't truly compare but the highs and high mids are just )def. a experience to dive into the sounds and elements and to hear all the little datails.

these babys got some bottom! Compared to the 50 hz my old yamahas went, the 42hz of the adams are thick. clear, precise, powerfull in my world. i listened to all kind of music and could not recognise some weaks.

The overall power is a bit heavy for my room so i drive them low.

minus:
they sizzle a bit (a very tiny bit - unhearable in 50cm distance) if you power them on (without any cable attached).

all in all i'm impressed by those wunderful monitors!
Old 29th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

I'm intrigued by the new AX series.

You Euro guys are making Americans jealous...

War
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

You Euro guys are making Americans jealous...

War
No need to start a war over it!!
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

We're happy to announce the Canadian Premiere of the ADAM AX series will be May 16-17 at the MIAC/PAL show at the Direct Energy Centre, Toronto, Canada. We will have all 4 new AX series speakers on demo including a surround A7X demo, booth #1921

Please stop by and take a listen. The product will be at our dealers and available for audition and sale soon after the show.

Andy

Welcome to Diffusion-Audio.com
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No doubt the US guys will anyway fuuck heh
Old 29th April 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Quote:
No doubt the US guys will anyway fuuck heh
The bombing starts in 5 minutes.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search