The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodin View Post
this guy is using A8X for mastering MASTERING LAS PELOTAS - YouTube
Interesting. Well, they cover a wide sonic range. The reported issue in a lot of reviews of a midrange dip and the plentiful bass remind me of the issue most have with Mackie HR824s. Their response is also similar albeit they are front-ported for less bass build-up issues vs. a rear passive radiator. I'd think cutting their lows and highs would result in the thus intact mids being more noticable. I wonder if anyone has tried that to compensate in the mids.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I'd think cutting their lows and highs would result in the thus intact mids being more noticable. I wonder if anyone has tried that to compensate.
that cross my mind too

anyone tried this?
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Head

I listened to both the a8x and the a7x in 2 different shops, with a test CD I made myself (the guy from one shop did a copy of my CD, so I guess it wasn't horrible). My conclussions were the same in each shop.
=> I totaly agree that they both sound different. The voicing is really different.
I will not say that the a8x have more bass than the a7x: on programs that don't contain extrem lows, the a7x seem to have more bass to my ears, but on programs with low bass the a8x are definitely more precise to my ears. It's due to the fact that the "high-lows" to "low mids" are louder on the a7x. It makes the guitares and voices more present on the a7x (too much?) than on the a8x (not enough?). It's hard to say that one of them is wrong. I guess that everyone can be used to either sound.

The a8x seemed more open to me. Like someone already said, the a7x seem to be really smaller speakers while compared to the a8x.

I'm in the market for speakers, but for 90% of listening and 10% of monitoring, so I would choose the a8x with no doubt. But for monitoring, I'm not sure I would choose the a7x over the a8x because the bass seemed weird on the a7x compare to the a8x: the louder "high-lows" to "low-mids" on the a7x makes you think you hear the whole thing, but you definitely don't (this was striking compared to the a8x). So i guess it could be tricky while mixing.
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulumusique View Post
I listened to both the a8x and the a7x
It sounds once again like a case of mid-forwardness in that A7X. I had noticed that in every test I'd done on the ADAMS. I think it would make me overmix the midrange down and end up with a scooped sound in other systems. It sounds like the A8X solves that problem. I like that you'd said it was more 'open' sounding. Also indicative of a flatter midrage. I'd like to see a frequency response chart for both. Are there any out there now we could view?
Old 24th August 2011
Old 25th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
reminds us how important room treatment is for low frequency response... (and not just for lows)
It doesn't show a dip in the mids by the way... though it shows better mids on the quested (which are about 50% more expensive in europe...)
I would love to see how it looks like in an anechoic room, just to get rid of the influence of the room.
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
But for monitoring, I'm not sure I would choose the a7x over the a8x because the bass seemed weird on the a7x compare to the a8x: the louder "high-lows" to "low-mids" on the a7x makes you think you hear the whole thing, but you definitely don't (this was striking compared to the a8x). So i guess it could be tricky while mixing.

I find the A7X really easy to mix on now I am use to them (which only took about 2-3 weeks though you keep learning as you go allong) mid range is nice and can tell if a mix is to mid rangy or if there's not enough mid range. Overall very easy to mix on them due to their immense critical detail and openness, mixes translate very good. I find the balance very good overall.

The only problem is they only go down to around 40Hz (to what I can hear) so judging below that is difficult and that's where the A8x's would have an advantage over them, for judging further down low.

I would be worried with the reports of lack of mid range bite on the A8X's as you could easily do a mix to mid rangy BUT I have not heard them and a quick drop of on the hi and low end could bring out the mid range nicely (A quick simple fix....)

Luckily I have some good reference speakers which go down to 30Hz so a quick check up on them can fix the low end if needed (Which is not always needed, only on really low sub bass and to get a top monitor that goes down to 30Hz cost allot more then these)

If I had more money I would of likely got the A8X's over the A7X's due to having more low end, and as said above you can play around with the filters to bring the mid range out on the A8X's. You can also do this with the A7X's if you feel their is to much mid or top end, but I have everything set to flat and there's a good balance for me personally.

But maybe dropping the low end to low to bring the mid range out would put the A8X low end at a similar level then the A7X? Which then would beg the question if they was worth the extra cost?

Would love to compare both to go further and get a better final conclusion.
Old 26th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
But maybe dropping the low end to low to bring the mid range out would put the A8X low end at a similar level then the A7X?
As I already said, the A8X didn't have more lows to my ears, they go lower, so they do have more on material that contain sub-bass but they don't over-represent the lows. On material that don't contain really low frequencies the A7X even seemed to have more bass too me... But I guess it's just the old trick: they give a little more energy to what the speaker can reproduce in the lows, so the amount of energy in the lows vs in the highs seems to be ballanced (wich is not always a bad thing).
Triming dowm the lows and highs may work because the low shelf starts around 300Hz (so won't change the low balance) and the high shelf starts around 5kHz (so won't kill the high mids like it does on too many speakers where the high shelf is only a boost/cut on the tweeter amp and so starts around 2-3kHz).
Anyway, it's only a matter of colour to me, it's not like a big dip or peak on a small frequency range, so I guess we can easily get used to both of them... and the room acoustic colour may also wanna be part of it at some point, so it's all really subjective...

Quote:
Which then would beg the question if they was worth the extra cost?
In europe it's only a 100 euros more for the A8x (per speaker), so it may be worth it. In the US it's more about 300 dollars, so it may be questionable (maybe a sub then?)
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey guys, i've just oredered a pair of A5Xs to replace my Alesis m1 active mk2s, i'm not into mixing i just listen to music on them, i was pretty happy with the Alesis (considering how cheap they are) but got a great deal on the Adams that i couldn't turn down.

I've never heard them as there is nowhere close by to demo, how do you guys think they will compare? I'm not expecing as much bass but hoping there'll be enough? And that the mids and highs will be an improvement.

I wont have the Adams for a week or so and am wondering if i've done the right thing buying the little Adams blind, can anyone reassure me that they will be worth it?

Cheers....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
For the mid range, top end and stereo imaging, and their great ability to pick up details they are worth it yes.

But you will be surprised how small the A5X'S are, they are really really small and they don't have much low end at all.

Id personally much prefer the A7X's for that purpose but you may think the low end is enough on the A5X's.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks jomox, i've asked for a price on the A7X, if they're within my budget i'll probably get them, my lounge is 4.5 x 4.5 metres sq so i think you're right, the A5Xs are probably a bit small for it.. Thanks...

edit.. whatever i get i'll post my thoughts on them here, i've had a few nice hifi setups in the past (all passive), though the Alesis are as good as any of them at a fraction of the price, so i have high hopes for the Adams. Hifi is so expensive for what you get. Thank god for pro-audio
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Proper usage of a7x in Russia
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalk View Post
lol...
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

it's quadrupled the value of the car
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflinn View Post
Good sell on value...
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Adam a8x user here!
Is significant change in sound after new monitors burned out?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Adam a8x user here!
Is significant change in sound after new monitors burned out?
Yes.

Will be cleaner, and more balanced overall. Let them have 2-3 weeks before they sound real good.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Just couples of hours change sound completely. In good way i mean.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

after one month

i thought I'd give my 2 cents over the new Adam a7x. After a month of listening and working on tracks I got a feel of what they're like.

- the first thing I noticed about them is how much space it reveals in certain tracks. Suddenly, tracks don't seem to be that crowded as you thought they are while listening in the car / regular speakers. There's a very pleasant sense of ambience around the instruments.
- stereo imaging is great
- they reveal the tiniest details in tracks like the pick over the guitar strings and others I could not hear before. I could hear new instruments and other sounds I didn't pay attention to in Depeche Mode's SOTU which I listen to dozen times before. This great clarity and detail is very usefull while working on eq's, compressors and reverbs. You really hear the tinniest of knob changes.
- I think the low end is great. Good definition that lets you know what's going on with the kick and bass

The funny feeling with the a7x when listening to music is of something like watching a theater show from the backstage. You can see how the magic crafts. The transparency of the a7x lets you figure out mentally how certain instruments and effects are processed and put in the mix so they provide those certain feelings that tingle your emotions.

On top of all this they came with 5 year warranty.
Good job Adam.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by notomorrow View Post
i thought I'd give my 2 cents over the new Adam a7x. After a month of listening and working on tracks I got a feel of what they're like.

- the first thing I noticed about them is how much space it reveals in certain tracks. Suddenly, tracks don't seem to be that crowded as you thought they are while listening in the car / regular speakers. There's a very pleasant sense of ambience around the instruments.
- stereo imaging is great
- they reveal the tiniest details in tracks like the pick over the guitar strings and others I could not hear before. I could hear new instruments and other sounds I didn't pay attention to in Depeche Mode's SOTU which I listen to dozen times before. This great clarity and detail is very usefull while working on eq's, compressors and reverbs. You really hear the tinniest of knob changes.
- I think the low end is great. Good definition that lets you know what's going on with the kick and bass

The funny feeling with the a7x when listening to music is of something like watching a theater show from the backstage. You can see how the magic crafts. The transparency of the a7x lets you figure out mentally how certain instruments and effects are processed and put in the mix so they provide those certain feelings that tingle your emotions.

On top of all this they came with 5 year warranty.
Good job Adam.
What are the monitors you were working with before?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

sounds like they do the job anyway...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflinn View Post
thats how producers these days roll, lol

do you remember how oldschool pimps had old rusty cars with golden shiny rims

sorry for offtopic
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

One of the latest reviews of A8X (in german): http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...oTest_0211.pdf
pretty linear frequency response...

Last edited by Rubachuk; 9th September 2011 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: lost in translation
Old 10th September 2011
I think that many engineers still believe that its better to mix at lower volume even if most of the monitors today are designed for louder mixing environment. I usually mix between 65 and 95 db, my focal CMS 65 can even go louder than that.

Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com

Razik's Mastering
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Oh my f* God. Razik, you are the most boring person with your Focal marketing on this forum. There is not a single monitor thread where you don't praise Focals or link them to your thread. Cool down man!!! This thread is about ADAM's and peoples comments about them, not about you and your half quality Focals.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubachuk View Post
One of the latest reviews of A8X (in german): http://www.adam-audio.com/files/down...oTest_0211.pdf
pretty linear frequency response...
very nice, too bad i dont understand german, but i can figure out some of the parameters in the table on second page
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
What are the monitors you were working with before?
hey there
i was using a pair of yamaha hs50 before the adams
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

Thomann Videoblog - ADAM AX Serie, Aktive Monitorboxen

here is a video on AX series from thomann.de, its in german.
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Head

this is the most detailed review on Adam A8X that i read online so far, only this one says accuretly why there is lack of midrange in these monitors

ADAM A8X Powered Monitor Review | Mix Author Bobby Frasier Reviews ADAM A8X Powered Monitor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search