The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Maniac

I just got a working pair of A8X's. Initially, one of them was dysfunctional and had to be replaced. With these, although they are brand new and not burnt-in, I'm really happy (for this short time). My old mixes translate very well and so do mainstream mixes.

I have a pair of Genelec 8040's and I much prefer A8X's to those.
But time will tell, I yet have to do some long challenging mixing sessions where fatigue could be a concern.
So far I disagree about many opinions that A8X's have scooped-out mids. I clearly wouldn't need to push mids any further up, and hence wouldn't end up with midrange-heavy mixes. Whether mids are pretty on them or not is totally subjective.
I love the bass depth and tightness. Highs are clear but not hyped. At this point I don't feel the need to tweak the EQ trimpots in the back.

My only concern right now would be the quality...a lot of people are reporting different issues with them. If you mail order them, you may not get lucky the first time around, like myself.
At a pro audio store here in Vancouver, BC, I tested them against A7X, KRK expose 8 (new ones), Opals, Focal Twin B's and some Genelecs. Opals did sound beautiful but didn't justify spending that much more money. Twin B's were sweet but with a tad shallower bass than A8X's. Genelecs were very good but again not at that price point.
A7X's were midrangy by comparison and had a feel of much smaller speakers than they physically were.
I know many people will disagree but I don't think buying any of the other ones would necessarily make me do better mixes.

I have a small, partially treated room and the A8X's work just fine, no brutal frequency peaks. They do work fine an strictly nearfield monitors.
Whatever I recorded monitoring through Genelec 8040's and AKG K701 headphones, especially voice and guitars miked through our Sonic Farm Creamer preamp, sounds heavenly through A8X's.
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post
At a pro audio store here in Vancouver, BC, I tested them against A7X, KRK expose 8 (new ones), Opals, Focal Twin B's and some Genelecs. Opals did sound beautiful but didn't justify spending that much more money. Twin B's were sweet but with a tad shallower bass than A8X's. Genelecs were very good but again not at that price point.
Aren't the Opals only about $600-$700 more a pair than the A8X's?
Old 31st July 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Here for the gear

HI!

I received today (02.08.2011) official answer from Adam Audio about A7X bassreflex "fart" problem:

"Hi, You can tell via the serial number on the packaging or the product itself.
Any product with a serial number higher than 125107 will have the updated
flanges.

Best regards,
Robert Taylor /Adam Audio...”

I've hope this information will be useful for you guys
so if you want to buy a brand new Adam Audio A7X - then try to find one's with a serial number higer that P-125107

Last edited by psycode; 2nd August 2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: i forget one word
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear
I've got 138669, and had them for 1 month now. So If new Id expect your new A7X to not have a problem unless somewhere has much earlier stock.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Nut

Shelving EQ on A7X

I just thought I'd comment on the shelving EQ recommendations that occur earlier in this thread. I've had a chance to try them out and IMHO, they result in a ragged sounding top end and a HUGE hole 150-250Hz. Goodbye bass guitar.

In a well-treated room, the stock settings sound subjectively much more balanced. Yeah, the top end is a little hyped, but better a little hyped than sounding rough and slightly distorted.

Also, FWIW, I just ran a 909 kick on various settings, VERY loud... and no problems at all with rattles etc.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear
I had a -2 shelf on the top end of the A7X EQ at first as sounded a bit to bright, but after they had burned in I put it back to 0 and it's perfect for me personally.

You can hear so much up the top end, it's so detailed and clear, while not being harsh (unless you sit very very close to them at loud output)
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Nut

I've been vacillating between flat and -1.5 dB on the high shelf. The spectrum does seem more balanced with a little high-end attenuation... but it also ruins the smoothness somehow. Hmmm... have only been running them for about 15 hours, so maybe they or I will eventually change enough to keep the controls flat.

On the topic of burn-in, the low-end seems to have tightened up considerably. I don't think that can be me adjusting, because I'd go the other way: a niggle would snowball into arranging to return the speakers.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear
Yes they need a few days to couple of weeks to burn in fully, don't need as much burn in time as say Focal but still need some to reach optimal performance.

The low end will get better as the hours go by, and the ribbon's will get more clean as time goes on, after a week or two youll likely find your self putting everything to flat.

I feel they have a very nice balance set to flat between the top end, mid range and low end once they have fully burned in.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Nut

You are right, sir: 10 days in and all controls to flat.

Most of the flaws seem to have dropped away. With other gear, the flaws intensify and I have to sell/mod it. I was highly sceptical about burn-in before, but now I'm a believer. I suppose anything mechanical is bound to loosen up... but maybe some of it is the amp stage. Either way, the difference is really marked.
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear
Nice, glad your happy and found a monitor which you can work with nicely.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Does the A8X have a 'disappointing mid-range response'?

Do many of you owners agree with the musicradar.com review - that the A8X has a 'disappointing' mid-range response? Are the A7X the same?

'While the top sang out with beautiful detail, the mids and lows never really came into balance. We particularly felt that the mid-range really lacked any presence or bite. In comparison to all the other speakers we heard them against, they just didn't have enough detail in the 150Hz to 2kHz range. The result is that, although very pleasant to listen to, everything comes out sounding very smooth and hi-fi. Balancing and EQing on them therefore proved to be hard work and in certain circumstances a little confusing. It felt to us that the extended low end that that 8.5-inch bass driver delivered and the bigger cabinet space somehow tipped the balance for the mids. With the crossover set at 2.5k the bass driver needs to have a very good mid response and maybe it's just being asked to do too much. But those tweeters do sound great'

Adam Audio A8X Active Monitors | Tech Reviews | MusicRadar.com
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear
The A7X are not the same no, they have a very good mid presence. As said above they have a very good balance between the low, mid and top end, it's very easy to correct things in each spectrum on the A7X's and mixes translate wonderfully across the board.

I know others who own the A8X's also and they say the mid range is okay and their mixes don't come out mid heavy. So I am not fully sure that review is fully accurate, though they may lack a little bite in mid range but I don't think they will lack as much as the review states, I'll have to check them out
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Audiofanzine also said the same thing about the a8x 'Lack of "bite" in the mid range' but maybe one copied off the other.

Hmm, I was more after the a8x for deeper bass and higher SPL but might be tempted by the 7's. Just to check all A8x's have been updated like the a7x's haven't they? Someone said Thomann stated all the 7's were updated but didn't mention the 8s. I have CMS 65's but am looking for something a little louder and with deeper bass - even though I love them and will keep both.

I'm thinking VXT8, HR824 mk2 or A8X. I think i'll have to give the Adams a go after all i've heard about those tweeters and now with the port issue gone.

Thanks
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
I had the Focal CMS also, and did not like them, weak output, not enough low end response and did not like the hi end, made it hard to fix stuff like hi hats etc, and got fatique after long sessions.

I got the A7X and there's a world of difference. Low end response is better and more presence, overall sound is much more open and clean, makes it very easy to correct stuff across the board, and the output is massive, they go quite allot louder then the Focal CMS. Stereo image is about the same but the Adams for me are allot more detailed overall.

They need a bit of burn in time also, as the tweeter is a little harsh at first, but this cleans up after a few days and after a week it will be very clean once it's burned in fully (explained above) no fatique at all now they have burned in, though you don't want to sit mega close to them as they do go very loud if needed. Overall burn in time is allot less then the Focal's though.

Of course they don't go below 38Hz so if you wanting to get a monitor down to around 30Hz it's ganna coast a bit, or at least would need a sub.

I was considering the VXT8 and HR824 MK2 also simply due to the low end but the Adam's give allot more detail overall, and have a much nicer top end and mid range.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for your help jomox. Really, I thought it was just me that found the output low. How much louder would you say the a7x go - 30% more 50% more? I think i've got to try the adams so could save money and get a better mid-range if the a7x plently louder than the cms 65s. Don't know whether to risk going for the 7's or just go for the 8's to make sure they can be pumped when needed.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah I was very surprised at the low output on the CMS, was expecting allot more considering their specs.

Id say the Adam's go roughly 40% louder from what I experienced so far, but I can't give exact figures as I i've not pushed the A7X's to near max as I've not felt the need to.

I use EMU Patchmix software to control the overall output. (So I just set the monitors to a certain level on their output and leave them be, then crank up the output in Patchmix and if needed turn the monitors output up a bit more on the monitors)

On the Focal's I had to push their volume output to near max to reach nice and loud volume levels, any louder and they did not like it, and I wanted more.

With the Adam's I don't even need to put their output volume near half way to reach higher levels then I did when pushing CMS's to their knee's. I've got the output volume on quarter way on the Adam's and I've only pushed them a little way past that as when I crank up the output on the patchmix they are very loud and blow you away, it's actually dangerous to get to close to them at those volumes, for me there's quite a big difference between the two.

Maybe I had a problem with the CMS though, as I was expecting allot more based on all the praise and their specs, but when taking them back never had any reports of problems, so not sure at all. (I've tested the 50's and 65's)
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Seriously, the A7x pack so much power its crazy. I've had them for 2 months now and I consider them properly burnt in. The high are certainly tamed and sweet sweet sweet!! The low end is also noticeably tighter and more... err.. open.

Every once in a while when I drive them hard, the low end is so punchy that I am surpsised with a gust of air hitting me in the face, coming directly from the bass ports... heh - I have them relatively close

The first couple of times I was like WWWOOOOO, WFT was that ?!?!

Anyone else get this?
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
I get people to sit in my studio chair, and start of playing them a bit quiet, and then all of a sudden crank up the volume and they get a big woof of air from the ports, this ****'s them up!

Sitting quite close to them at the moment untill new studio room is done, will be about 5 feet away from them then, they can easily be used as midfield's.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah that's exactly my experience. I do love the focal but I find myself maxing out my cms65s and having no head room. It's funny because focal say they're 112db peak and adam say the a7x is 114db peak yet there's clearly a huge difference. Guess specs aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Yeah that's exactly my experience. I do love the focal but I find myself maxing out my cms65s and having no head room. It's funny because focal say they're 112db peak and adam say the a7x is 114db peak yet there's clearly a huge difference. Guess specs aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Specs are overrated! I learned the hardway. Put it this way my Samson Rubicon R5a on paper have lower wattage, bass response etc then CMS 65's, yet the Samson's go around 40% louder and have roughly same amount of bass presence. (They go "nearly" loud as the Adams though low end sounds tubby to loud, R6a's are better for that and of course I've not pushed Adams to their max yet!)
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Jomox,

40% seems ALOT more than the Focals. How are you setting your gain knob on the Adam? They are "0dB" with the knob half way, the rest is extra power from the amp. (but I have never heard the Focals)

I would be weary of driving a final mastered mix with the knob going further than 0, I think it may well damange the speakers as they dont have an inbuilt limiter.

Specs are specs, and although some not exact representative of performance, the SPL value of 112dB vs 114dB certainly is a measurable objective parameter.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

I can't understand why folks are trying to get little nearfields to pump super loud and have a lot of bottom. Get some midfields, with or without a sub, to go with your nearfields. Looks like adam is cleaning up it's mess.
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Hey Jomox,

40% seems ALOT more than the Focals. How are you setting your gain knob on the Adam? They are "0dB" with the knob half way, the rest is extra power from the amp. (but I have never heard the Focals)

I would be weary of driving a final mastered mix with the knob going further than 0, I think it may well damange the speakers as they dont have an inbuilt limiter.

Specs are specs, and although some not exact representative of performance, the SPL value of 112dB vs 114dB certainly is a measurable objective parameter.
Knob is usually at quarter way or little less, never had it on 0dB.
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I can't understand why folks are trying to get little nearfields to pump super loud and have a lot of bottom. Get some midfields, with or without a sub, to go with your nearfields. Looks like adam is cleaning up it's mess.
Because some of us produce underground techno and like warehouse clubs? Midfields are an absolute fortune if you want quality sound. From reviews they seem to think A8Xs and VXT8s can be used as midfields. What would you recommend instead?
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Because some of us produce underground techno and like warehouse clubs? Midfields are an absolute fortune if you want quality sound. From reviews they seem to think A8Xs and VXT8s can be used as midfields. What would you recommend instead?
If you produce or mix hip hop, r&b, dance, techno, etc and don't want to spend a fortune dynaudio bm15a with or without sub will do you right to go with your nearfields.

OR get your nearfields and do how we used to do back in the day- hook up some club/PA speakers in the room for the club feel. Will help you shape your bottom and show accurately what you would hear in the club. And they are cheap.
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

I have also been looking into the BM15a's funnily enough and previously considered PA :D Looks like I heading in the right direction then! The BM15a's seem very cheap in the US (£1200) but are over £2000 here so I need to find some used. Haven't seen any used lately. What kind of PA - something like Tapco/Mackie thumps?

I was thinking high powered nearfield 8's would be a good compromise without going OTT and deafening myself in the process. Cheap PA's can be very harsh on the ears.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear
BM15a could be temping, I do know some Adam users who also use Dynaudio as they offer as much detail/ accuracy but still sound a bit different.

Wonder what the price of the A77X's will be.
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear Nut

In reply to Big Bang above, but also as an update relevant to the current flavour of this thread: burn is still happening after a few weeks. This may be because I only use them a couple of hours a day. The major difference is in the high end, much smoother.

I think the most noticeable source is overdriven guitars. At first, they frankly sounded like a DI'd signal straight out of the head was mixed in... angry wasps etc etc. But now that's all gone and I am amazed by how much detail there is in the distortion, like I can see 'into' it. Or some shizzle like that. All this metaphor can be trying at times.

In sum, these sounded hella bright out of the box (with some low end mud to boot), but none of that now.

Nothing's perfect, though - if you have an excellent fully treated room, a sub may be necessary at some point, depending what you mix. Sure, they go down to 42 Hz... but that's gotta be at least -15dB.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Head

this guy is using A8X for mastering MASTERING LAS PELOTAS - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search