The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 16th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
"Estrada i Studio" is the biggest studio gear magazine in Poland. They doing professional measures. They measured ADAM A7X ... and i HAVE ADAM A7X, ... I listen to them every day ... and EiS measures dont lie.

I don't heard ADAM A3X, but measures and opinions people whom I trust, telling me A3X are only "high-end multimedia speakers" :] They have bumped, not correctable bass (ADAM A5X and higher models had bass correction knobs, but no A3X). A3X had poor 25W bass amp on bass. The bass on a3x lie.

if you have a BMW 7 series you probably don't even want to bother on trying my BMW 3 series. Even if i say i can win you a race with it or racing you on my yamaha NS-10 scooter.
haha
Old 16th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHROEDER View Post
if you have a BMW 7 series you probably don't even want to bother on trying my BMW 3 series. Even if i say i can win you a race with it or racing you on my yamaha NS-10 scooter.
haha
Sometimes it's better to buy higher-end VW instead of low end BMW

In ADAM A3X price range You have Yamaha MSP5 studio (more power on bass, bigger woofer, they go lower in bass). ... thats my personal opinion only ... You can do what You want
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear

Having worked with the original A7's a lot, I finally got a chance to spend some time with the A3x and A7x at a guitar center today.

Right off, I'll tell you that I was not that impressed with the A7x's. From what people have been saying, apparently the new X series has a more well rounded bass tone than the previous model and does not suffer from sounding "farty". I guess I could say that it was flatter, but the A7x was just not doing it for me in the low end. I wanted to like it, I tried really hard not to be biased, but after listening to them, I would rather wait on a used pair of the original A7's. It was just not what I was expecting. They still sounded good though, I just had to really crank the volume to get enough out of them to where things felt balanced and correct on all the songs I listened to. There is no way I'm going to keep them at that kind of level for a few hours....

The A3x's on the other hand, I loved! The low end coming from these things was pretty strong considering it's a 4.5 inch speaker. I'm pretty sure that it is hyped somewhat, but to be honest I really don't care. It works! I also felt a lot more comfortable about the tonal balance I was hearing at lower levels, which is nice considering I'm going to be mixing a lot in my apartment. Not to fall prey to marketing, but I was really surprised at the sound coming from these little guys. They did not have an Adam sub, but I tried them going through a KRK sub and a JBL sub, and then ran the A7x's through the same subs. I was more than happy with the end result coming through the A3x's. I walked in fully expecting to fall in love with the larger 7's and walked out loving the little A3x's. Good news for me!

The other benefit of the A3x is of course their size. They are tiny! I work at a recording school so I have more than enough speakers to fine tune and compare mixes on. For my current situation, I'm glad I liked with A3x over the A7x. I'm planning on getting a pelican case that I can put these guys in and take with me as reference monitors when I do sessions at studios. I love doing the bulk of my mixing at home and I have no doubt these will get me most of the way there. If I want to buy a sub later on I will.
Old 16th May 2011
Here for the gear

It's quite interesting to hear from similiar experiences with the AX series. I already wrote about my thoughts on the A7X and A8X. But I also tried the A3X and A5X for a short test. I prefered the A5X, but on the AX series my favorite was the A8X. And as already said I would never buy the A7X. Of course they have more low end than the A3/5X and less than the A8X but the point is they sound totally different to my ears. And not in a good way in terms of clarity (mids/low end).
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear

Not trying to come out sounding like I'm dissing you folk, nor being a Adam fan-boy, but I wonder how many of you actually performed a proper audition of these speakers.

For one, reference material and space acoustics. Listening to A7x vs A3x in a shop obviously disfavours the 7x's. Second, the larger the cone, the further the excursion, the longer the the burn-in time until they start thumping out the lower mids. Third, that is exactly why the bigger 8x's don't need to be pushed as hard and render an off-the-shelf rounder balance frequency range. Their lows are easier to manifest, so the low mid excursion comes out more natural. Push them into a 50% power zone and you'd find the same results as the 7x's in terms of balance.

The 7x's fall right in the middle, and if you know the Adam sound you know how freaking awesome and unbelievably incredible these speakers are for their price.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Well my Adam A7Xs turned up this morning, these are the first time I have ever seen them in real life as I live in New Zealand/bottom of the world, anyways...... holy these monitors are tiny! I thought they sent me some A3xs lol, I almost wasnt going to plug them in because I thought theres no way theres little things are going to have the balls and sound I need. I plugged them into my Lavry DA10 and bingo, these things sound awesome. I will give a proper review after a few weeks once I really get a feel for them, coming from my Tannoy Preciscion 6Ds I didnt know what to expect. So far I think they have a smaller sweet spot than the tannoys but way more definition in the mids, and the highs are out of this world. The bass however sounds really wierd, Ive never had front firing bass ports before so It will take a bit to get use to them. These have the new fart free ports, theyve got plenty of power to rattle my ears and they seem to be built fairly well. I will have to have a play around with the controls on the back to dial them in better but for the price these are a pretty amazing little speaker.

I will post a review in a few weeks after the novelty factor has worn off and see how they stand up, but I think theyre only going to get better
Old 21st May 2011
Here for the gear

Well, I would say it's common practice that a popular, reasonable priced and well reviewed monitor is tested by many users.
I gladly would buy the Adam A7X because it's much cheaper than the A8X or the Neumann (especially here in Germany) and I really love the design. But as I wrote I was disappointed by their reproduction in the low mids and low end. According to the salesman all monitors I tested were burnt-in properly. I just wondered about the significant difference between A7X and A8X. It's like two completely different monitors from different manufacturers and series. The A8X was much cleaner to my ears.
Any suggestions for a more "proper audition" with these monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Not trying to come out sounding like I'm dissing you folk, nor being a Adam fan-boy, but I wonder how many of you actually performed a proper audition of these speakers.

For one, reference material and space acoustics. Listening to A7x vs A3x in a shop obviously disfavours the 7x's. Second, the larger the cone, the further the excursion, the longer the the burn-in time until they start thumping out the lower mids. Third, that is exactly why the bigger 8x's don't need to be pushed as hard and render an off-the-shelf rounder balance frequency range. Their lows are easier to manifest, so the low mid excursion comes out more natural. Push them into a 50% power zone and you'd find the same results as the 7x's in terms of balance.

The 7x's fall right in the middle, and if you know the Adam sound you know how freaking awesome and unbelievably incredible these speakers are for their price.
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Hi shegt !

No, no suggestion at all until you explain how you go abouts judging speakers. As with all things audio, people have their own methodology, myths and truths, etc. If you take the time to detail your visit of the shop, listening environment and pondering factors, I will gladly chime in with my opinion. Obviously, we dont live in a perfect world where all factors are standardized, so I am in NO WAY suggesting you are incorrect in your findings!

But. for instance, going in a typical music shop and have them hook an mp3 player into a mixer to feed a series of speakers is an absolute unfaithful and very much defeats the whole purpose entirely.

I have not yet though heard the A3X nor the A8X, well, because coming from the A7's that I know intimately and fit my bill perfect, the X series was a no brainer.
Old 21st May 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotaholic View Post
the highs are out of this world. The bass however sounds really wierd, Ive never had front firing bass ports before so It will take a bit to get use to them. These have the new fart free ports, .
Can you elaborate on how the bass sounds on your speakers? What do you mean by weird? That doesn't sound right.
Old 23rd May 2011
Here for the gear

Is there any DIY fix for the A5X or do we have to send the monitors back?
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Can you elaborate on how the bass sounds on your speakers? What do you mean by weird? That doesn't sound right.
Hi, I cant quite put my finger on it, but I think its a timing thing. My room is treated but it has horrible null in it where im mixing from at the mo, im moving rooms next month so im not too concerned. With the tannoys I would hear the beater clack of a kick drum before the umph came and swelled from the back of the speaker, with the adams it sounds like it is ariving at the same time. This is not a bad thing, just a different feel to what I have had before with all my monitors being rear ported or not ported at all. I probably havent explained it very well, but im loving the Adams, if you cant getting banging mixes on these then its not the speakers
Old 24th May 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotaholic View Post
Hi, I cant quite put my finger on it, but I think its a timing thing. My room is treated but it has horrible null in it where im mixing from at the mo, im moving rooms next month so im not too concerned. With the tannoys I would hear the beater clack of a kick drum before the umph came and swelled from the back of the speaker, with the adams it sounds like it is ariving at the same time. This is not a bad thing, just a different feel to what I have had before with all my monitors being rear ported or not ported at all. I probably havent explained it very well, but im loving the Adams, if you cant getting banging mixes on these then its not the speakers
I see. So it's a room treatment issue rather than a speaker issue.
Old 25th May 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, as said I tested these speakers in two different locations / stores. One of the rooms was equipped especially as a speaker testing room. The other one was the large sales area of a local dealer. Of course I tested only music I know properly. Only CD/aif/wav quality. For shure no mp3 was used. I tested all kind of music from classical to hard electronic and extrem metal with a high-class CD-player.
I know that a testing room or studio should be treated properly. Or actually studio monitors should be tested in my own room. But this is not the point here. ALL monitors I tested were in the same room, tested on the same level (sometimes adjusted volume) and the differences were obvious immediately. As already stated I wondered about the massive differences of A7X and A8X. I preferred the A8X without question. To me the A7X was like a completely different kind of monitor/manufacturer.
(I tested the improved versions (port-noise))

Quote:
Hi shegt !

No, no suggestion at all until you explain how you go abouts judging speakers. As with all things audio, people have their own methodology, myths and truths, etc. If you take the time to detail your visit of the shop, listening environment and pondering factors, I will gladly chime in with my opinion. Obviously, we dont live in a perfect world where all factors are standardized, so I am in NO WAY suggesting you are incorrect in your findings!

But. for instance, going in a typical music shop and have them hook an mp3 player into a mixer to feed a series of speakers is an absolute unfaithful and very much defeats the whole purpose entirely.

I have not yet though heard the A3X nor the A8X, well, because coming from the A7's that I know intimately and fit my bill perfect, the X series was a no brainer.
Old 25th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Burnhat, if that serial number has any relevance in the UK, then I have to say, YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!
thnx, therefore it would be great if u all could help me with my decision, whether to get the A7X with sub or the a8x.
Im especially interested in Comparison in a acoustical treated room.

Additionally has somebody tested the 8040 compared to the A8x?
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegt View Post
To me the A7X was like a completely different kind of monitor/manufacturer.
(I tested the improved versions (port-noise))
Hey shegt...

I truely do respect your assessment, but I find it really really weird this statement of yours. Now, I have not heard the other X's (well, I have the 3X in a shop booming something while I waltzed by, but it was no critical hearing test) - but coming from the A7's, it is certainly the same deal, with more low end.
Old 26th May 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Big_Bang,
I know it sounds weird but this was my experience with them. I don't know what the problem was. The difference was unmistakable. Maybe only a to short burn-in time after all. But in both cases??? (and the salesmen denied that)
As you seem to be quite surprised I will give them a last try when the Neumann KH120A are available here. Then I will make my final judgement and hopefully a good decision between Adam, KRK and Neumann.
BTW, if you have the opportunity try the A7X and A8X side by side. The difference is huge.

Quote:
Hey shegt...

I truely do respect your assessment, but I find it really really weird this statement of yours. Now, I have not heard the other X's (well, I have the 3X in a shop booming something while I waltzed by, but it was no critical hearing test) - but coming from the A7's, it is certainly the same deal, with more low end.
Old 27th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
Is there any DIY fix for the A5X or do we have to send the monitors back?

I second this question.

Also another +1 first time poster due to this thread. I just read all 37 pages
Old 30th May 2011
Lives for gear

I just spent 3 hours reading this thread

Background: I was set to buy Adam A7s. Then I found out there is this new Adam AX series. Then I got over all the complaints about port noise / rattle, made me wonder and already looked for alternatives.
Then I got to the posts that said the overworked products are fine finally.
You know this thread, I don't need to write a summary actually

SO.
I want to upgrade from my 6 year old Esi nEar 05. I find them slightly too harsh and tiring. Because of my belief "buy cheap = buy again" I now want to get the ultimate boxes for the next 5-10 years, and planned to spend between 500 and 1000 Euros, having read raving reviews, was set for the A7.
But now after this thread I got the image that Adam has poor quality control, but good consumer service, so I will give them a try.

I can't visit a store any time soon to test myself, and I also have a tinnitus from a bad cold that's not fully gone yet (hope it leaves eventually)!

So here...
My Questions:
I have read some comments where people rated A3x higher than A7x.
What about A5x?
Would A3x be a big improvement over my old, disliked Esi nEar 05?
I'm doing synth pop, electronic, classic pop, and also want to play my synths (warm analog mid range pads important!) over my boxes for enjoyment - and still want to be able to do good mixes on them. Is such a compromise possible and reasonable?
Which of the Adams in my budget should I get, A7, A3x, A5x or A7x?
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Sometimes it's better to buy higher-end VW instead of low end BMW

In ADAM A3X price range You have Yamaha MSP5 studio (more power on bass, bigger woofer, they go lower in bass). ... thats my personal opinion only ... You can do what You want

peace.
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegt View Post
It's quite interesting to hear from similiar experiences with the AX series. I already wrote about my thoughts on the A7X and A8X. But I also tried the A3X and A5X for a short test. I prefered the A5X, but on the AX series my favorite was the A8X. And as already said I would never buy the A7X. Of course they have more low end than the A3/5X and less than the A8X but the point is they sound totally different to my ears. And not in a good way in terms of clarity (mids/low end).

Poor ratings for A8X as well

Here is sound test ADAM Audio A3X vs A5X vs A7 vs A7X vs A8X

Old 2nd June 2011
Here for the gear

I do not force people to buy a specific product. I was just communicating my very own experience. And I do not buy something after reading a review. Because I'm not the author of the review. I'm an individual person and every person has another idea a monitor or any product should sound/work like.
I always test products myself and this would be my only advice: Test any product yourself and then make a decision... Because you are the person who has to work with the purchase. Actually it's that simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPile View Post
Poor ratings for A8X as well
Old 9th June 2011
Here for the gear

I've just received my back-ordered A7X yesterday from Guitar Center. I was lucky and ordered them in early May with a coupon and bought the pair for $1040. A few days later they were upped to $699 at most retailers.

Playing all types of music, but primarily electronic, and so far - quite pleased. NO PORT NOISE, even on majorly low sine sweep tests - it's clear these are part of the new batch with fixed ports.

This week I'm trying to give them a proper burn in with various different types of music and frequencies. This was an upgrade from KRK rp8s, so it's like I'm listening to some music (especially my productions) for the first time. The stereo imaging and detail in the high-frequency range is unlike anything I've experienced in my studio.

My only qualm so far is the mid/low-mid range. I think they are a bit distant and my first impression was that vocals were a bit difficult to hear. My room is treated, so this is a bit unsettling considering the original A7's were known for their very forward mid-range.

I'm hoping the burn-in will remedy this situation, as Big_Bang mentioned on Page 37 of this thread.

I'm thinking maybe I can tune them a bit on the back to replicate the original A7 settings - someone mentioned Adam had released certain info on how to do this. Can anyone enlighten me?

Overall very satisfied, but hoping that mid / low-mid range kicks up a bit.

Comments welcomed.
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hi deancain (thanks for the pm!)

Funny how room acoustics play a difference.... On my last project I thought the vocals were in the pocket, but on translation they was def low in the mix.

Quick question. Are you absolutely sure your new speakers vs room aren't playing tricks on you? The extra low end you now have is THE serious room mode assasin! You can very well be having your room low end squashing your low mids!

I guess what needs to be done here is tune them to your liking. Surely lowering the hi and low shelf will let the mids through better, And burn them in properly for a deeper field. This also does wonders the the inteligibility of effects in the 3rd dimension as well as "opening" up the frequency range. Lower register transients will surely cut through better too, giving a sense of more defined mids.

I am still shocked at Adam's suggestion for burning in speakers heh I seriously am quite happy at leaving a selected playlist on for 24h at 90% full power. I certainly do hear the change, and from there on we start "talking" to each other...
Old 13th June 2011
Here for the gear

Finally ordered the AX7's after over a year of following this thread I'm now getting the rest of my research in order, so could someone kindly confirm a few things for me?

- I've seen some people recommending a separate Volume Control between the Audio Interface and the monitors, presumably to prevent stray audio errors from murdering them. Considering that both the AX7's and the audio interface have analog volume controls on them, is this extra step unnecessary, or am I missing something?

- On the same topic, how dangerous is it to use the monitors with nothing but a standard 1/8 inch TRS -> RCA cable while I'm waiting for the rest of the gear (Audio Interface) to arrive? I've seen the occasional post online about audio driver errors causing the tweeters to explode like fireworks; kinda has me worried..
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowgoesmoo View Post
Finally ordered the AX7's after over a year of following this thread I'm now getting the rest of my research in order, so could someone kindly confirm a few things for me?

- I've seen some people recommending a separate Volume Control between the Audio Interface and the monitors, presumably to prevent stray audio errors from murdering them. Considering that both the AX7's and the audio interface have analog volume controls on them, is this extra step unnecessary, or am I missing something?

- On the same topic, how dangerous is it to use the monitors with nothing but a standard 1/8 inch TRS -> RCA cable while I'm waiting for the rest of the gear (Audio Interface) to arrive? I've seen the occasional post online about audio driver errors causing the tweeters to explode like fireworks; kinda has me worried..
It's not dangerous at all. you have analog volume knobs on your speakers, just turns them down to a reasonable level and you re good to go.
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

do the NEW batch of A5x,A7x and A8x hum?

it seems that the woofer going up to 2500khz makes the mids not so detailed,but the highs are perfect becose tweeter can concentrate purely on highs.Its like Mackie HR824 where the woofer goes only till 1900hz,the mids rock but the hi end isnt very detailed compared to others monitors becose the tweeter is playing higher mids maybe more than tweeter should.

I was thinking,if I add Adam 10 MK II sub to Adam A7x with 85hz crossover point,would that help in terms of mid range clarity?

also if we ingore SPL and sub bass,witch are better the A7X or A8X? Since I will buy the sub to go with them,the sub bass in non factor,also the place where they will be used is not very big so the SPL of even A5X would be more than enough...

I heard opinions like the A7X is more precise than A8X and oposite opinions too that the A8X sounds better.Witch of these have lower level of distortion? I know that A5X have more THD in 100hz than A8X but I didnt saw anything about A7X 100hz THD
Old 19th June 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Has anyone with the original A7Xs notice any change in the port noise after some months of use? Mine seem to be a bit better than they were when brand new. The noise is not as pronounced and happens within a narrower frequency range I think...
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hopefully i'll get myself a new set after contacting them via email.

How does the procedure work? Does a courier pick up the speakers and take them back to their HQ, and then a new set are delivered a few days later?
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Got a brand new set of A7X's delivered today. Just need to wear them in a little and they will be good to go.

Sound great. Top service from ADAM.
Old 22nd July 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Received yesterday my A7X replacements. Brand new set of speakers. Perfect. Tight bass. No more port noise. Adam came through with this. Well done!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search