The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac
Mine had to be sent from Long n McQuade to Montreal.
So working on over 3 weeks now, no response from Long n McQuade or Adam!
I am discouraged as well as not having my monitors for so long!
Even after an email to Adam, no call, no response nada!
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Seclusion, there must be some misunderstanding because the day after your first post I contacted both Adam and then your dealer, both the repair manager and your salesperson. They were unable to get a hold of you and had not heard back after several days.

I finally received the work order late last week and in anticipation, we already ordered in a replacement set for you back while I was at MusikMesse. This shipment makes port today and should be released from customs early next week and then shipped directly from us to the Long and McQuade location you are dealing with.

We are doing everything we can to assure that all our customers are 100% satisfied with their ADAM purchase and we are already seeing posts in this thread from clients that acknowledge both the fact that their issue has been solved and the quality of the service they received from us and their dealers. I trust that we will be successful with you as well. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

I would also invite anyone else who purchased Adam monitors from an authorized Canadian dealer and requires service or support to feel free to contact me via the same email, phone or via pm.

Andy Welcome to Diffusion-Audio.com (450)-227-3818 (Canadian Distributor for Adam GmbH)
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome work Andy, great to see someone take the bull by the horns so to speak
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

A7X Adam

5 hours ago i wrote an Email to the Adam Customer Service to ask, what they did to fix this problem and how to identify the "new line".
I got a nice answer quickly, where they tell me that they were aware of this problem and changed the bassreflextubes. Since the end of january they exclusively ship the A7X with the new bassreflextubes! To make sure, that I will buy the new line they told me to check the serial number. Every A7X from S/N P-125107 includes the new bassrelextubes!!!

Personally,i dont know on how the serial number differs all over the world, but this at least is for german customers...
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnthat View Post
5 hours ago i wrote an Email to the Adam Customer Service to ask, what they did to fix this problem and how to identify the "new line".
I got a nice answer quickly, where they tell me that they were aware of this problem and changed the bassreflextubes. Since the end of january they exclusively ship the A7X with the new bassreflextubes! To make sure, that I will buy the new line they told me to check the serial number. Every A7X from S/N P-125107 includes the new bassrelextubes!!!

Personally,i dont know on how the serial number differs all over the world, but this at least is for german customers...
Burnhat, if that serial number has any relevance in the UK, then I have to say, YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Nut

I'm very happy with my now one month old pair (A7X)....
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Maniac
Thanks Andy

FYI
I have heard none of this.
Long n McQuade had only contacted me (last week) that they were sending my monitors to Montreal and wondered if I had the packaging.
I've had no phone messages left, even left my cell #.
So I'm unclear why I've had no info.
When I first contacted Long n McQuade about this I was told to bring them in, it would be weeks.
I needed the monitors so I didn't take them right in to finish a session.
At first I was unclear if there was really a "fix".
This current info certainly helps the waiting.

Thank you
B
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

Seclusion, it's all good, we've even had other customers contact us since my post. Everyone will get taken care of.

thanks, Andy
Old 29th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnthat View Post
Every A7X from S/N P-125107 includes the new bassrelextubes!!!
This is very useful info!
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Just pulled the trigger on some from Thomann, should be here in a few weeks. I will give an honest review and test to see if they are indeed "fart free" heh
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Well folks today i got my Adam A8X monitors back from their factory in Berlin and they are a brand new pair!!

Yes i did say BRAND NEW!!! the serial numbers are totally different to what i sent and they even smell new lol

They are fart free and sounding so sweet, I'm really happy with the customer service from Adam Audio and would recommend these monitors every time.

Thanks to all at Adam Audio who helped me get this issue resolved problem and cost free.
Old 6th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomBud View Post
Well folks today i got my Adam A8X monitors back from their factory in Berlin and they are a brand new pair!!

Yes i did say BRAND NEW!!! the serial numbers are totally different to what i sent and they even smell new lol

They are fart free and sounding so sweet, I'm really happy with the customer service from Adam Audio and would recommend these monitors every time.

Thanks to all at Adam Audio who helped me get this issue resolved problem and cost free.

And after using them for 2 day i've got to say they are a totally different sound to the pair i sent back, had the Utah Saints in the studio today and they said they can't believe how different they sound and how tight and clean they sound.... WINNING! ; )
Old 7th May 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
And after using them for 2 day i've got to say they are a totally different sound to the pair i sent back, had the Utah Saints in the studio today and they said they can't believe how different they sound and how tight and clean they sound.... WINNING! ; )
They sound different? Now what might that do to mix translation that the A7/A7X are so recommended for?
Old 7th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
They sound different? Now what might that do to mix translation that the A7/A7X are so recommended for?

When i say they sound different i really mean they sound totally different to the first batch that in my opinion sounded absolutely awful!!

My first set of AX's were really harsh on the top end and the bottom end was over powering even when i turned down the lo end volume on the back of the monitors.

These new one's sound pure, clean, the highs are far from harsh and the bottom end is perfect!!

They sound different for the better.... believe me. This is how they should sound and i'm so happy that i sent them back. From the day i got the original pair i was sure they were rubbish and totally convinced they should not sound that bad.

All i can say is from experience the old one's are crap and the new one's are what £1000 monitors should sound like.

As for "They sound different? Now what might that do to mix translation that the A7/A7X are so recommended for?" well the A7X & A8X were f-ing useless until now and they still have "That" Adam sound!! the only difference now is they don't fart at you.

Now go send your monitors back to Germany and wait for the results to return.... you will be happy
Old 8th May 2011
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
When i say they sound different i really mean they sound totally different to the first batch that in my opinion sounded absolutely awful!!

My first set of AX's were really harsh on the top end and the bottom end was over powering even when i turned down the lo end volume on the back of the monitors.

These new one's sound pure, clean, the highs are far from harsh and the bottom end is perfect!!

They sound different for the better.... believe me. This is how they should sound and i'm so happy that i sent them back. From the day i got the original pair i was sure they were rubbish and totally convinced they should not sound that bad.

All i can say is from experience the old one's are crap and the new one's are what £1000 monitors should sound like.

As for "They sound different? Now what might that do to mix translation that the A7/A7X are so recommended for?" well the A7X & A8X were f-ing useless until now and they still have "That" Adam sound!! the only difference now is they don't fart at you.

Now go send your monitors back to Germany and wait for the results to return.... you will be happy
Well that's quite a statement. I'm actually quite satisfied with how my A7Xs sound (except for the port noise). No harsh top end or excess lows here.
Old 11th May 2011
Gear Maniac
I've received my replacement Ax7's from Long n McQuade.
Just burning these ones in.
Grabbed a pair of primcoustic stabilizers as well!
So far so good.
Old 13th May 2011
Here for the gear

I have been reading up on the Adam AX series for quite some time now, and I'm wondering what will be the best combination for my room.

My room is approx. 12x13 (Feet), will the A7X be the best sized speaker for my room? Would the A8X be too much?

Will a 10" subwoofer be a good addition to the speakers? I produce bass-driven techno/electronic music.
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Head

a3x

A3X... this little guys sound pretty amazing. I ve got mine like this.
hey can i listen to those little new adams? -ok- then...heh check please! bass response is incredible for this kind of cones. (60hz) Mids and Highs as expected to be. if you want more lows just add a sub. I've listen to michael brauer's mixes thru those and love them. I mean... Regina spektor's cd hehe.. got them yesterday. lets record and mix then more comments.

cheers!
Old 14th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancain View Post
I have been reading up on the Adam AX series for quite some time now, and I'm wondering what will be the best combination for my room.

My room is approx. 12x13 (Feet), will the A7X be the best sized speaker for my room? Would the A8X be too much?

Will a 10" subwoofer be a good addition to the speakers? I produce bass-driven techno/electronic music.
As I said in the "Neumann KH120 vs. Adam A7X" thread the A8X sounds totally different and much better compared to the A7X. After testing some monitors in that price range I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the A7X. I really do not understand the hype. They sounded always muffled to my ears and impossible to judge the mids and low end. I also went to the store with all this raving A7X reviews in mind and realized after testing that there are much better monitors around (e.g. KRK VXT 6/8).
The S2X from Adam is a very good monitor. If they are not in your budget and you want Adams go for the A8X. They sound much more cleaner in all frequencies. It's not just the better low end!
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:

IMHO if you want to mix loud your room is going to be a problem and if it is not treated; monitors are not the best way to go first. if it is treated then try this little beasts... the sub thing i think you're not going to hear any of those freq below just boom like you were inside of a bass trap.

cheers.
Old 14th May 2011
Here for the gear

thanks for the replies guys,

my room is treated, i just moved into my new studio - i've been using krk rp8's with rps-10 sub for about 6 or 7 years, but in a larger room.

Although I've been able to pull off some good mastering through "knowing" the sound of my monitors, I've never felt like these KRK monitors translated all that well on to other systems, so i was constantly re-checking my mixes on other systems and headphones. So at this point i'm interested in the Adam AX's because I've read for a while that they translate beautifully. Just was curious what size I should get for my particular room size (12x13).
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHROEDER View Post
bass response is incredible for this kind of cones. (60hz)
60 Hz at -17dB from average SPL
A3X go to ~72 Hz at -3 dB
measures:
ADAM A3X: mistrzostwo
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
60 Hz at -17dB from average SPL
A3X go to ~72 Hz at -3 dB
measures:
ADAM A3X: mistrzostwo
Sorry I can't read that... but I definitely can hear a smiling pair of A3X. BTW I like them more over bigger numbers.

A3X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry I can't read that...
Don't read , just look at measures.
Old 15th May 2011
Here for the gear

Maybe my experiences after testing the AX series is helpful to some guys around here. Especially to those who have no chance to hear the monitors before ordering.
First I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the Adam A7X. After reading all those raving reviews about them I was shure that they will make it. But they didn't. To my ears the A7X isn't a good and true monitor. I tested them (the improved version) with all kind of music styles for hours and they always sounded "muffled" to me and were hard to judge in the mids and low end. The reproduction of sound details (especially in acoustical / classical music) is fine, also the three-dimensionality. But the problem are the lower mids and the low end. I also tested the KRK VXT 6/8 which were much better in this field. So I think it's not the lack of a subwoofer. I then accidentally tried the A8X from Adam and it was surprisingly better than the A7X. I just thought this model is just going lower because of its larger size (so I didn't wanted to try them at first). But this monitor sounds totally different to my ears and MUCH better. I could hear the details in the mids and low end to do a fine and well balanced mix that was impossible on the A7X.
I also tested the S2X from Adam which was quite a large step ahead from the A8X but they are not in my budget. Choosing a studio monitor is an important decision. So I will wait for the new Neumann KH120A and give them a try. I was told several times that they are beating all others it their price range in terms of true sound reproduction and detail.
So guys be careful when ordering. To me the A7X was really disappointing and not worth the money... Sorry Adam! tutt
Old 15th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegt View Post
Maybe my experiences after testing the AX series is helpful to some guys around here. Especially to those who have no chance to hear the monitors before ordering.
First I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the Adam A7X. After reading all those raving reviews about them I was shure that they will make it. But they didn't. To my ears the A7X isn't a good and true monitor. I tested them (the improved version) with all kind of music styles for hours and they always sounded "muffled" to me and were hard to judge in the mids and low end. The reproduction of sound details (especially in acoustical / classical music) is fine, also the three-dimensionality. But the problem are the lower mids and the low end. I also tested the KRK VXT 6/8 which were much better in this field. So I think it's not the lack of a subwoofer. I then accidentally tried the A8X from Adam and it was surprisingly better than the A7X. I just thought this model is just going lower because of its larger size (so I didn't wanted to try them at first). But this monitor sounds totally different to my ears and MUCH better. I could hear the details in the mids and low end to do a fine and well balanced mix that was impossible on the A7X.
I also tested the S2X from Adam which was quite a large step ahead from the A8X but they are not in my budget. Choosing a studio monitor is an important decision. So I will wait for the new Neumann KH120A and give them a try. I was told several times that they are beating all others it their price range in terms of true sound reproduction and detail.
So guys be careful when ordering. To me the A7X was really disappointing and not worth the money... Sorry Adam! tutt
I must say, after so much research into the A7X, this is quite disheartening to read, especially since the A8X are out of my budget. It's odd considering some people have reported that the A8X are less accurate in all areas than the A7X.

Is it possible that the port-noise fix messed things up in the low-mid areas??

I have already purchased the A7X from guitar center, and they are on back-order, but I'll be sure to give them a good demo period when they come, and hopefully won't decide to return them..
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Maniac
After having a new pair delivered with the port noise fix I am very pleased.
I had purchased a used the A7 Sub ($350) before the port fix and found that no matter how I setup the crossover frequency of the sub, everything was just mud! I was hoping to just cut the low end out!
Now with the port fix, I have the sub set to it's lowest cutoff frequency and left 98% of the sound coming through the AX7's!
Just getting a little bit of that added thump which is fitting well.
Sub in or out I'm getting a great mix!
Maybe the Primacoustic pads have helped as well.
I've adjusted the high frequency down some.
No regrets on this purchase.
I came form the original Event 20/20Bas powered monitors that had a lot of low end mud, but otherwise sounded great!
Definitely a step up.
I don't know what amount of $$ would completely satisfy, I have to stop somewhere and make tunes!
Old 15th May 2011
Here for the gear

I don't want to bash any product here. This was my very personal opinion. But you know I'm a music guy. Music is my life. And I'd like to get the best for my money because my budget is limited. And my new monitors have to do exactly what they were made for. And after hearing the A7X in two different stores and room sizes for many hours with all kind of music styles I'm very sure I can't work with them on a professional level. I also know about the reviews and awards. I already had a desktop wallpaper of the A7X on my Mac while saving the money. heh Quite nerdy I know...
Because I love the design. But a studio monitor is a tool and I'm not a hifi guy.
I talked to the sales assistant in one of the stores and he told me that he was never committed to the AX series as the first units had loose screws and woofers and poor build quality. You have to realize that the AX series are Adams' entry/budget models. Even though the monitors were designed, engineered and assembled in Germany many of the internal parts are from China to make them affordable. That's not a secret.
I'm German and I normally appreciate German engineering and support German companies. But in this case I have to say that I'm not pleased.
The port noise issue and the way Adam handled it (at the beginning) is another thing that shouldn't happen on a "professional audio" company. Especially not in Germany.
(I don't think the port-noise fix messed things up here. I think it never was a good construction.)
Maybe the A7X will work for you. I will wait for the Neumann KH120A. I will choose the KRK VXT 6/8 or the A8X if the Neumann will disappoint my ears, too. But I think they won't.
BTW, if you're interested you can get some information on the internet about the sophisticated (german) engineering of the Neumann monitors for example how they avoid port noise with patented ports and structure inside (it's not just a plastic tube like on the Adams). I think this is like a "professional" product has to be. At least for me.

Quote:
I must say, after so much research into the A7X, this is quite disheartening to read, especially since the A8X are out of my budget. It's odd considering some people have reported that the A8X are less accurate in all areas than the A7X.

Is it possible that the port-noise fix messed things up in the low-mid areas??

I have already purchased the A7X from guitar center, and they are on back-order, but I'll be sure to give them a good demo period when they come, and hopefully won't decide to return them..
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Don't read , just look at measures.

funny!! reading for knowing how they did the test is important i guess. anyways if i make a couple of graphics then i get your trust? don't trust me!! go listen the thing!!
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
funny!! reading for knowing how they did the test is important i guess. anyways if i make a couple of graphics then i get your trust? don't trust me!! go listen the thing!!
"Estrada i Studio" is the biggest studio gear magazine in Poland. They doing professional measures. They measured ADAM A7X ... and i HAVE ADAM A7X, ... I listen to them every day ... and EiS measures dont lie.

I don't heard ADAM A3X, but measures and opinions people whom I trust, telling me A3X are only "high-end multimedia speakers" :] They have bumped, not correctable bass (ADAM A5X and higher models had bass correction knobs, but no A3X). A3X had poor 25W bass amp on bass. The bass on a3x lie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search