The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Why?

'Cos the entire team collapsed like dead horses after the race. They've been workind 24/7, non-stop, caffeine intraveinously.
Electro-shocked if they fell asleep. Their families kidnapped and area-sensor-detection explosives in locked collars, just in case they try to flee.

They are too tired to even toot the horn.

Going shopping in 1 month, if I dont get an answer soon I will NEVER come back to Adam Audio.

It's been almost one full f*cking year to get this sorted tutt

(pardon my german...)
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Addict

Does anyone that currently own these monitors feel like there's not enough power?? I currently use Event ASP8s, and they are 200 watts for the woofer and 80 for the tweeter. I'm worried that if I get this they won't be loud/clean enough. I'm also looking at the Mackie's. Any thoughts?
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsound View Post
Does anyone that currently own these monitors feel like there's not enough power?? I currently use Event ASP8s, and they are 200 watts for the woofer and 80 for the tweeter. I'm worried that if I get this they won't be loud/clean enough. I'm also looking at the Mackie's. Any thoughts?
I use the ASP8 and they are EXTREMELY powerful and loud.
You can easily harm your ears with them because they will play *that loud*.

They are the exception though as most powered monitors either don't have that much juice or because of design don't play as loud.

That being said, I mix at low levels so I'm not even coming close to the SPL they can pump.
I did try it though a few times just to clean the spiders out of the ports heh

I think the Adams are designed more as a true nearfield compared to the ASP8 which are really midfields so that will make a difference.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear
Ok..I am officially scared to go with A8x.

Few things are common inside this thread.

1. Generally everyone agree that Adam A7x and 8x has amazing detail, depth and image - That is good IMHO.

2. Almost everyone is experiencing issue in low end area - and because of that i am scared. Since i use 909 and 808 extensively.

And point 3..Since no one actually answered and MANY ASKED

3. How we can determine which shipment is "fixed" and which not? Is there any official or real answer yet?

If you don't know answer on point 3. simply say i "don't know" or fly to some other thread. Semantics (like: just buy damn speakers and use socks to remove port noise) are not needed since there are quite a lot of us with need for decent monitoring in this price class.

BigBang i just want to thank you for your samples (and to other users). I feel your pain and i am shocked on how many people can't distinguish your results from practical experience or real world image. I am even more shocked that some of less gifted didn't realized that you actually "recorded" some of these samples. Even after ADAM confirmed they still argue with you. Pain..

Thanks for any help.
Old 29th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
3. How we can determine which shipment is "fixed" and which not? Is there any official or real answer yet?
According to Thomann, Studioxchange and DAS: If it's from the new production run, then it's fixed. As mentioned earlier, a good way to tell is to look at the bass ports - if they don't go straight then it's the new run (see pic I posted on top of this page)

Otherwise the best way is maybe to contact Adam and ask them from which serial number on they are updated ones.

The guys at DAS told me that the prices will be raised by approx 10% soon - probably to cover the cost of updating/redesigning...
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebism View Post
According to Thomann, Studioxchange and DAS: If it's from the new production run, then it's fixed. As mentioned earlier, a good way to tell is to look at the bass ports - if they don't go straight then it's the new run (see pic I posted on top of this page)

Otherwise the best way is maybe to contact Adam and ask them from which serial number on they are updated ones.

The guys at DAS told me that the prices will be raised by approx 10% soon - probably to cover the cost of updating/redesigning...
I don't mind 10% however public should not suffer from their building mistakes. That's odd and not a sign of honest relationship imho.

So basically i could ask my dealer can he look at the bass ports and if they are not flat in the way if he can't see inside speaker through these ports then they are from "new line" and fixed ones?

But if he can see inside speaker through bass port then most likely it's the "old run" with issue..?

Yes, no?

I am finding it a bit funny that Adam actually made flop like this one, claiming that this is natural, then after a while (when people get mad) they just needed to make bass port rounded a bit. I can't escape my next logical question and that is - With that flop in building design, some wires hanging which people reported etc. how long will Adams work, i mean what's their lifespan??

I am totally confused...A lot of people agree on spectacular sound so Adams can't be a miss..yet such weird and lame problems undeniably produce doubts in my mind.

It makes me wonder though...should i just go with dynaudio BM6a (or 15a) and forget about these issues?

I tried to find dynaudio build issues yet i didn't find any single one. Please understand that i am not ditching any brand. I am just confused and looking for some help.
Old 29th March 2011
Here for the gear
Adam took my pair of A8X and they are on their way to be fixed.
All for free, I didn't spend a single cent!

Every manufacturer can do mistakes in the project stage, it's the way they put it right that makes that manufacturer reliable imho.
Kudos to Adam!
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Ok..I am officially scared to go with A8x.

Few things are common inside this thread.

1. Generally everyone agree that Adam A7x and 8x has amazing detail, depth and image - That is good IMHO.

2. Almost everyone is experiencing issue in low end area - and because of that i am scared. Since i use 909 and 808 extensively.

And point 3..Since no one actually answered and MANY ASKED

If you don't know answer on point 3. simply say i "don't know" or fly to some other thread. Semantics (like: just buy damn speakers and use socks to remove port noise) are not needed since there are quite a lot of us with need for decent monitoring in this price class.

BigBang i just want to thank you for your samples (and to other users). I feel your pain and i am shocked on how many people can't distinguish your results from practical experience or real world image. I am even more shocked that some of less gifted didn't realized that you actually "recorded" some of these samples. Even after ADAM confirmed they still argue with you. Pain..

Thanks for any help.
Many thanks my friend.

But I still have faith in them, they are that good! I am just that dissappointed BECAUSE they are that good!!

I am waiting on what I hope be reliable feedback on the port fix.

Will be very tough to distinguish feedback though, from early parts this thread can be hilarious
Old 29th March 2011
HYX
Gear Nut

The latest addition to the AX Series. Kind of a near / mid field hybrid?

A77X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH
Old 30th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYX View Post
The latest addition to the AX Series. Kind of a near / mid field hybrid?

A77X - Description | ADAM Audio GmbH
I've just read about this. It will be presented at the Prolight & Sound Show in Frankfurt, April 6-9. These are the successors of the P33A's. I think the retail price will be around $0.9k-1k. Btw congratulations on the BSE releases :]
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Many thanks my friend.

But I still have faith in them, they are that good! I am just that dissappointed BECAUSE they are that good!!

I am waiting on what I hope be reliable feedback on the port fix.

Will be very tough to distinguish feedback though, from early parts this thread can be hilarious
Hey there, remember me? hehe.

I sent my a7x back, and have received a brand new set of speakers with the port fix. There is now no port noise.

Excellent service from ADAM.

Last edited by kedbear; 1st April 2011 at 11:04 PM..
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

I just picked up a pair of A7's. I have read a lot about burning them in, but cannot find what the process consists of. Someone mentioned playing white noise through them. 24 or 48 hours worth of playing, etc. Anybody want let me in on what people are doing?

And man. I've been mixing on headphones. Got these things, played my mix on them. Now I hate my room. :( Sigh. Bass running rampant. Cats and dogs living together. Etc. Etc.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedbear View Post
Hey there, remember me? hehe.

I sent my a7x back, and have received a brand new set of speakers with the port fix. There is now no port noise.

Excellent service from ADAM.

Sure dude - fun times raging and ranting haha - But you got a brand new set ?! Not only the port fix?

Niiice!! I would suspect ADAM would be sensible enough not to shoot themselves on the foot coming out with a fix that wouldn't fix...
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure dude - fun times raging and ranting haha - But you got a brand new set ?! Not only the port fix?

Niiice!! I would suspect ADAM would be sensible enough not to shoot themselves on the foot coming out with a fix that wouldn't fix...
Yes, they sent me a brand new set of speakers which have the port fix. No port noise anymore, and brand new speakers... did i forget to mention they sent brand new speakers?
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

All righty ladies....

Just got word from Thomann that ALL stock on the A7X have been updated to include the port fix.
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
All righty ladies....

Just got word from Thomann that ALL stock on the A7X have been updated to include the port fix.
Thats awesome news, thanks for sharing. My poor wallet
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
All righty ladies....

Finally!!Thanks for the info
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Maniac
I returned my A7x's to Long n McQuade here in Ontario.
The guy behind the counter or the repair dept had no idea what i was talking about.
One of my speakers also had a something else vibrating inside!
That was Mon, no word on what they are doing!
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

Hi,

Well after no help from a well known supplier in Leeds i decided to contact Adam Audio direct....... Result!!

They emailed me back within 30 mins with the offer of collecting my A8X's at no charge and then fitting the new flanges at their berlin factory then return them to me at no extra change.

Well that was three weeks ago now, and today they came to get them thumbsup

I'm told it may take 1 to 2 weeks for them to get back to me so fingers crossed they'll come back fart free and clean as a whistle.

I'll let you know what happens.

DB
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Please do report back! I'd love to kick the "Go Focal's!" team out there in the nuts haha... just kidding
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

Here's a visualization of the new flanges in the ADAM A7X. Taken from a german forum. Maybe it's interesting for some guys around here heh

Old 16th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

Please do report back! I'd love to kick the "Go Focal's!" team out there in the nuts haha... just kidding

Will do mate, and i agree with you about the 'go focal'.

Well let me tell you this..... yesterday i saw a photo of focal's with the tweeters hanging out... Totally blown out on both monitors lol not a good look!!
Old 17th April 2011
Here for the gear

Hi all,

I sent also my A8X pair back to ADAM for service. I became a new pair from Thomann after 2 weeks. Now they are perfect!!! No noise at all.

Cheers
Old 17th April 2011
Here for the gear

Fyi, I just got a pair of A7X's from Guitar Center online and they did come with the new bass ports. I can detect no port noise with a bass heavy mix at about 95 db. They sure beat my Rokit 8s I've been using for 5 years. Some online retailers have raised the price on these to $699 each and GC still has them at $599.
Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

I bought a pair of A8x about 2 months ago and first noticed the port noise the day after that. It was really obvious from 75hz down to 35. Like a breathy resonant sound from 700-1500hz.

I contacted Adam Directly and this last week they shipped me an entirely new set at no cost. They look identical to the ones I purchased but have NO issues with port noise.

I'm very pleased with how they dealt with this and can assure you that the Canadian distributor Andy Cherna @ Diffusion Audio Inc. was prompt and courteous with his replies.

If you think there is a problem with your speakers, get in touch with the distributors and Adam themselves. My experience was pretty painless and they sorted me out as soon as they could, hopefully yours will be too.

These monitors sound great and I couldn't be happier.

Tyler.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

I just got mine from Thomann.

They're the new special edition Adam A7X-FF model !!

Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I just got mine from Thomann.

They're the new special edition Adam A7X-FF model !!

Hi Big_Bang.What special edition you are talking about because i cant find anything in thomann.I've only find the a7 special edition.Could you please give me a link?
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

That would be the new special edition Adam A7X - Fart Free

(damn, I've been long waiting for someone to ask to crack this joke heh)

Its been a few day, breaking them in, zero farting
The studio does smell better with these new ports.
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
That would be the new special edition Adam A7X - Fart Free

(damn, I've been long waiting for someone to ask to crack this joke heh)

Its been a few day, breaking them in, zero farting
The studio does smell better with these new ports.
Hahaha good one
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Over 1,050 posts. This is some thread.

I REALLY want to buy the A7x but I cannot be asked with having to return them, if the ports are not the modified type.

Is there any news on the Serial No's to look out for? I really wish that ADAM would come forward and say something to advise us all of what is going on. The old bury your head in the sand technique, doesn't go down well for any of us. The better the support, the warmer and more likely we will come back for more.

ADAM, please stand up....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search