The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 24th February 2011
I'll let you know when I get mine back - Adam had them collected this week with a 1-2 week turnaround. Can't wait to have them back, they're excellent monitors and they'll be even better with this fix.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Funny, when listening at louder volumes, I used to get the whoosh, air movement through the AX7's. Now I have that little air movement breezing on the feet from the Sub-7.
I find the Sub-7 more then adequate for the AX7's.
Working on a few improvements on my room with the added sub (as I expected).
B
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Does anyone here know how the new A7x and A8x's compare to either the Focal CMS65 or Acoustic Energy AE22's?
I have never heard AX series but I had a pair of S3A almost two years. Now I mix on AE22s active and for me AE22s is in the same league as S3A. AE22s are better in mid-range, trebles are as good. Bass response is hard to compare. S3A went deeper but AE22s sounds more punchy. For electronic music with a lot of sub bass you will need a SUB (matched is the best or any enclosed at least) with AE22s
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I have never heard AX series but I had a pair of S3A almost two years. Now I mix on AE22s active and for me AE22s is in the same league as S3A. AE22s are better in mid-range, trebles are as good. Bass response is hard to compare. S3A went deeper but AE22s sounds more punchy. For electronic music with a lot of sub bass you will need a SUB (matched is the best or any enclosed at least) with AE22s
I have the AE22's now + AE Sub and absolutely love them!!
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I have the AE22's now + AE Sub and absolutely love them!!
Love them too. The most underrated monitors ever. With matched sub they can compete anything to $4k
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
Love them too. The most underrated monitors ever. With matched sub they can compete anything to $4k
Yep I agree!!
Old 27th February 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, so I have a pair of A8X's on their merry way to me in transit and I'm wondering if there is a possibility that I will be receiving the upgraded and amended model? Have they even started going out? and how would I know either way. The reason I ask is because it seems that the store I ordered them from (in the UK) have just got the A8X's in stock recently. I guess only an adam employee could really answer this.

Also, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I notice that the monitors are not Magnetically shielded and I'll be placing the monitors at either side of a plasma TV that I use as a computer monitor. Will this cause any issues or does this only concern CRT monitors.
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post
Hi, so I have a pair of A8X's on their merry way to me in transit and I'm wondering if there is a possibility that I will be receiving the upgraded and amended model? Have they even started going out? and how would I know either way. The reason I ask is because it seems that the store I ordered them from (in the UK) have just got the A8X's in stock recently. I guess only an adam employee could really answer this.

Also, forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I notice that the monitors are not Magnetically shielded and I'll be placing the monitors at either side of a plasma TV that I use as a computer monitor. Will this cause any issues or does this only concern CRT monitors.
Why did you order the speakers without checking first?

Adam has not provided any official statement that the problem is fixed other than some people are testing it. I think that most probably the speakers sold now are not fixed. Adam has received so much bad publicity for the problem that they would be stupid if not publicly stating the problem is solved once it's done.
Old 28th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Anyone got them damn flanges yet?

This has been an absurdly long amount of time to produce a stupid little retro-fit.

Seriously, I dont want to be a bitch about this, I cannot even imagine how ADAM HQ have been these past... err.. TEN F*CKING MONTHS.

I have always loved Adam. But because of Adam, I have take a serious workflow toll. I bought the A7x's a couple months before critical work, and was forced to critically work under spec'ed.

From then on, I have had to make by with loaned speakers, waiting on them damn flanges.

Now I seriously doubt I will wait more on user feedback. Been using Dynaudio and Focals, I much prefer the Adam sound, but it is all basically a matter of getting used to and translating work. That I was forced to do for 10 damn months. At first double the work, now a little over my favourite.

Someone PLEASE give me a good reason to wait

As Jar-Jar would put in

"Me-sa-getting-ooooooohhhh-so-pisssssed-off-me-ah-be!" dfegad
Here's my experience so far. I bought my A7x monitors in January and fell in love with them HARD. I absolutely love the sound of them, the detail and sound is just incredible.

However, as I produce house and techno music I was having some issue with the port noise when working on my kick drums at a loud volume. So I contacted Adam whose customer service was exceptional - they got right back to me and organised a pick-up of the speakers to be taken to their UK warehouse to retro-fit the flanges.

That's been a couple of weeks now and I don't have them back yet. Will report back as soon as I can test them out with the new bass reflex port design. It's your call but I would say just go for it - buy the speakers and if you encounter problems then they will just get them fitted with exactly the same port as those who buy them new.

As I say, I'll report back asap though so you can make the final call.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Maniac
[email protected], I have the rattle in one of mine.
Bought approx middle of Dec.
Long n McQuade says 2-3 weeks gone for repair!
[email protected]!
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Addict

Still dying for some official news on newer versions...when and where new ones with flanges will be issued and how we'll know if it's the fixed version or not. I'm guessing there are lots of purchasers just biding their time...

It would be nice to get some sort of official announcement regarding the game plan.
Old 7th March 2011
Here for the gear

If it helps, my monitors got lost in the upgrading system a bit, but once I contacted Adam they agreed to send me some new factory flange-fitted A7Xs from their Berlin location.

Dispatched yesterday, will report back asap on how they sound. It definitely means that it won't be long til they start shipping.

EDIT: Just to also let everyone know that Adam have delivered very good customer service throughout this whole thing - they're getting an unnecessary pounding on this forum just now. If you're thinking about picking up the A7x monitors then answer this question - are you producing electronic music with a lot going on in the sub region? If so (and you're not using a sub) then wait a month and get the monitors. If not then just go for it - 99% of people don't have a problem because they don't push their monitors in these deep frequencies. Either way, you will not be disappointed - the monitors sound immense and Adam are a friendly and professional company to deal with.
Old 8th March 2011
Just got my set of A7X's back. The changeover took exactly 2 weeks today, with the speakers being delivered by 24Hr courier.

Just plugged them in and to my ears there's no fundamental difference in the sound with the new ports, they're excellently detailed and the bass as clear / balanced as before.

It's easy to spot the monitors with the new ports. They're exactly the same externally, however they have a visible break in the tube about 5cms in, whereas the older ports were a single piece of tube all the way back into the housing. Even if they start producing monitors without the break in the tubing, the difference is the ports now curve inwards rather than staying straight. Ie. Looking at the monitors face on, the ports both curve towards the Adam logo.

Glad to have them back!
Old 8th March 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the update - and what about the port noise? Have you tried pushing the monitors at 50hz until it occurs? I think that's what everyone wants to know!

I am expecting that it will still be there to a degree as front-facing ports always have some, but as long as it is when the speakers are much louder that'll be fine for me!

Cheers,

Simon
Old 8th March 2011
Hey, I've been having a critical listen since my last post and I can say they're plenty loud and no port noise.

As a test I'm wombling about with a sine wave around the G-1 to C1 trouble spot, and they're rumbling stuff on my desk at the mo, with no harmonic whistling going on. Lovely!

Good work Adam Audio.
Old 8th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaboonTheBaboon View Post
Hey, I've been having a critical listen since my last post and I can say they're plenty loud and no port noise.

As a test I'm wombling about with a sine wave around the G-1 to C1 trouble spot, and they're rumbling stuff on my desk at the mo, with no harmonic whistling going on. Lovely!

Good work Adam Audio.
Great news! Looking forward to giving mine a thorough beasting when they come back.. heh
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
Funny, when listening at louder volumes, I used to get the whoosh, air movement through the AX7's. Now I have that little air movement breezing on the feet from the Sub-7.
I find the Sub-7 more then adequate for the AX7's.
Working on a few improvements on my room with the added sub (as I expected).
B
picket up the Adam Sub 10 mk2.

Well, everything below, Sub 7, Sub 8, is a toy compared to this one. had the sub 8 before.
What a difference ... this thing is much bigger and plays bass just soooo easy without any effort. Forget the smaller subs.
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Head

does anyone know when are they releasing version with fixed problems, im buying A8X for mixing drum&bass, is this a good choice for this type of music? i was thinking of buying P22A... now im in a delusion
Old 10th March 2011
Here for the gear

What about the off-axis response for this speakers?

Do you think they would work fine (A7X or A8X) for home use on 5.1 HT on a living room of 18'x13' at 7' distance? what about clear bright sound and ear fatiguing? or not the smartest choice for home listening?
Old 10th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just got my set of A7X's back.

It's easy to spot the monitors with the new ports. They're exactly the same externally, however they have a visible break in the tube about 5cms in, whereas the older ports were a single piece of tube all the way back into the housing. Even if they start producing monitors without the break in the tubing, the difference is the ports now curve inwards rather than staying straight. Ie. Looking at the monitors face on, the ports both curve towards the Adam logo.

Glad to have them back!
Can you post some pics of your A7X with new ports ?
Thnx
Old 10th March 2011
Here for the gear

Well, my brand new A7X monitors arrived this morning fitted with the flanges. I am HEAVILY impressed by the difference that this has made to the sound of the monitors! I work a lot in the sub-bass region when producing or listening to house and techno music, and I was having serious problems with the port noise before.

I was expecting that the monitors would come back with upgraded ports that would minimise the noise, but in fact the new ports have completely gotten rid of any issue in this area at all. I have swept a sine wave test tone at great volume between 40-80Hz with absolutely no issue to report. I have been blasting Berghain style techno and house music all afternoon on the decks, and have used the low pass filter (A&H Xone 32) with full resonance, sweeping down so only the boomiest of bass is left and - PERFECT!

I have to say, this upgrade has by far exceeded my expectations. The monitors sound brilliant. Well done Adam - nailed it! heh
Old 10th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPile View Post
Can you post some pics of your A7X with new ports ?
Thnx
Hey, not my most glamorous snap but here you go! Externally they're exactly the same as the originals.

Looking into the port, showing the ridge about 4-5cms in, and you can kinda see the curvature vs the straight original set.
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Whats the best way to deal with this issue? Contact ADAM directly and arrange for a pickup? Don't know if i cant wait weeks for a return!
Old 12th March 2011
Gear Head

Timely thread for me as I'm thinking about picking up some a7x's. My question is this: if I do end up having problems with the port noise, will I need to send them overseas to get them fixed. I live in the USA.

Thanks.
Old 12th March 2011
Here for the gear

Me too, sadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straticusiam View Post
Timely thread for me as I'm thinking about picking up some a7x's. My question is this: if I do end up having problems with the port noise, will I need to send them overseas to get them fixed. I live in the USA.

Thanks.
I had a pair on hold ready to pick up and passed because the sales rep from US did not reply to my GC pro audio guy's inquiry re: how to fix, and when we will see the factory fixed ones in this country for sale. We even opened up the box and saw straight ports, made me sick to not walk out the door with them. So close and yet so very far away!
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

Just got a message from my GC guy. He says that A7x's special ordered from Adam will have the new flanges. No word as to when stock will be new enough to see the revised versions.
Old 15th March 2011
Here for the gear

Speaker pickup

Got a phone yesterday, so my speakers will be picked up tomorrow.
So when they come back i will have a listen and see if i keep them. Adam has a lot to prove to me, i really have lost a lot of confidence in them.
But on the other hand, this is really good work by Adam, and i cant imagine what this thread on GS must have cost them!
Thanks to the original poster for noticing the port noise!

A
Old 18th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey, not my most glamorous snap but here you go! Externally they're exactly the same as the originals.

Looking into the port, showing the ridge about 4-5cms in, and you can kinda see the curvature vs the straight original set.
YES, I got the new ones then!

Which serial numbers have yours if I may ask?
Old 18th March 2011
Gear Maniac

you show me yours, I show you mine. Serial 129165

Now for two weeks of pink noise
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-photo.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Why haven't Adam made a public statement that the problem is now solved?

How do I know that the speakers I order online are the new fixed ones?

After having waited almost a year to order a pair, I want to avoid the hassle of ordering a pair and then getting the old model that has to be sent back to Adam. Are the boxes updated with a sticker indicating the change? Are there an indication of after a certain serial number?

Where is Adam?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search