The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 28th January 2011
  #961
Quote:
pauln819 said, I love the Adam sound, but need it in a smaller package. I was
thinking of selling the S3's and getting one of their smaller setups
.

I have the a7xs, I would consider trading you for your S3xh, straight across.
Old 5th February 2011
  #962
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
Still no news from Adam regarding the flanges?
Old 5th February 2011
  #963
Gear Maniac
 
cuebism's Avatar
almost forgot, received a mail from Thomann saying that those flanges are ready!
Old 6th February 2011
  #964
Here for the gear
Here's the mail I've received few days ago regarding the "retrofitting" of the bass port...

"Hello Alex,

we will pick up your pair of speakers at the address below. The we will retro-fit the reflex tubes of your A7X. Then you will get them back immediately after reworking. We will send our forwarder so the whole procedure will take about a week.
Would you please give me your phone number and if necessary the best possible time to pick the pieces up?
When we informed our forwarder about the pick up they will be at your address the next day so it won't take that long.
When you answer this mail could you please send a copy to my colleague from our logistics department: [email protected]
Thanks for your cooperation. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask me again."

But I can't give them my speakers ,even for a week ,I have to work !!!
Old 6th February 2011
  #965
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
The question is, will the new Ax7 come with the flanges fitted? How can I judge when ordering the speakers online if it's a new version with the flange or the old without? Will Adam mark the new ones to differentiate, i.e. Ax7 mk2?

I don't want to order a pair of Ax7 and be forced to send them back for modification.
Old 7th February 2011
  #966
Here for the gear
 

I received my mail about collection to retro-fit the reflex ports today. I will send them off and report back with the results asap!
Old 9th February 2011
  #967
spz
Here for the gear
 

I recently got a pair of A7Xs and have had no issues so far!
Old 9th February 2011
  #968
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Is that with or without flanges? From now on, this issue is essencial!

Good to hear though thumbsup

(I am curious as to how the look - if they make 'em even more klingon-looking, cool! )
Old 10th February 2011
  #969
Here for the gear
 

adam a8x popping sound at 85db+

i just got some adam a8x about 7 days ago...while doing my burn in i noticed at first they would make this horrible popping sound once they hit about 85 db on any kick with any transient really...and while ive been working around them as of late they are rated at 120db max...so whats up with this if emailed called nobdy is responding to me...i must say that i love the monitors <85db but these are my mains and i must listen loud from time to time...if not just because i like to but it is necessary to make sure things dont hurt haha...im gonna post this everywhere until someone from adam actually calls me opposed to resonding to an email a week later...this is my job i need this resolved now not it 4 months...im pretty sure this is the worst custmer service i have ever received...and i have reported companies to the BBB so go figure

be warned...the speakers sound great but the standards for production are lowering by the day...sweetwater and mercenary dropped them for a reason they have drastically lowered there standards...

so i propose a new slogan:
ADAM AUDIO
"the best things that suck"

i will continue to blow them up everywhere until i get a real resolution to this...i saw there is a person from ADAM in this thread hopefully he hits me up i am on the cusp of losing it>>>insert maniacal laughter
Old 10th February 2011
  #970
Here for the gear
 

not new

btw i am not a noob i have doing this professionally for nearly 20 years....plus i forgot my GS login so i just made a new one haha
Old 10th February 2011
  #971
Lives for gear
 
Tom Hakala's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vherbal View Post
mercenary dropped them for a reason
Adam A8X Studio Monitors, Pair

I have had my A7X for over a month, been listening aprox 5 to 10 hours a day. Not a single problem.
Old 10th February 2011
  #972
Just checked Mercenary Audio, does still carry Adam monitors.
Old 10th February 2011
  #973
I wish they would let us who are mechanically inclined, retrofit the new ports ourselves. I live in Montana and would rather not send my speakers half way across the country to get banged around. Although I do have the original boxes which are built very well. There is a bad, UPS damage ratio around here.
Old 10th February 2011
  #974
Lives for gear
I love these speakers...sound great.

As of now I have taken 3 back....
Old 11th February 2011
  #975
Lives for gear
 
Rotaholic's Avatar
 

I really want to get some A7xs but this thread has really put me off. I cant believe how many people have had to send multiple speakers back. Think im going to go with the BM5a MKIIS
Old 11th February 2011
  #976
Here for the gear
 

I bought a pair (A7X) last week. No issues so far.
Love them.
Old 12th February 2011
  #977
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vherbal View Post
i just got some adam a8x about 7 days ago...while doing my burn in i noticed at first they would make this horrible popping sound once they hit about 85 db on any kick with any transient really...and while ive been working around them as of late they are rated at 120db max...so whats up with this if emailed called nobdy is responding to me...i must say that i love the monitors <85db but these are my mains and i must listen loud from time to time...if not just because i like to but it is necessary to make sure things dont hurt haha...im gonna post this everywhere until someone from adam actually calls me opposed to resonding to an email a week later...this is my job i need this resolved now not it 4 months...im pretty sure this is the worst custmer service i have ever received...and i have reported companies to the BBB so go figure

be warned...the speakers sound great but the standards for production are lowering by the day...sweetwater and mercenary dropped them for a reason they have drastically lowered there standards...

so i propose a new slogan:
ADAM AUDIO
"the best things that suck"

i will continue to blow them up everywhere until i get a real resolution to this...i saw there is a person from ADAM in this thread hopefully he hits me up i am on the cusp of losing it>>>insert maniacal laughter

6 posts - all of them slagging ADAM, hmmmm.....

Back to my question in another thread you started: What has your dealer done/said? You paid your money to someone (not ADAM) and that is your first port of call, not the manufacturer. A decent dealer would have rectified the problem straight away. Period!

I'm going out on a limb here to suggest either he saw something that lead him to believe the issue was self inflicted or, you purchased abroad (to try and save a couple of dollars) and you're now getting stiffed because you have to pay to return them to where-ever. If I'm wrong, apologies but the original question remains unanswered.

From a completely different thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschelle Cecil View Post
I don't understand this growing trend of people publicising every bloody incident they have with businesses, especially when they are still in the process of resolving it and/or they haven't exhausted all options with the business directly (i.e. calling them to express their concern).

Going public like this is a lazy and reckless way to go about getting what you want, and in my opinion you should be more considerate when a business's reputation is at stake. This kind of announcement should only be a last resort.
Yes, the service department in Germany shouldn't be dealing with this. It's a local issue and it's for the local distributor to take up the issue with Germany, not you. That way the German service guys aren't getting bogged down on and can concentrate on more pressing issues.

So please, before coming on here to yell about poor customer service, tell us what steps you and your dealer have taken before you needed to take it further up the line.


Aside from making great monitors, a lot of ADAM's success could be attributed to positive reviews on places like Gearslutz. But that is a doubled edged sword and it's very easy for competitors or disgruntled customers to throw negative opinions out there to smear the brand as well. I'm not suggesting that is the case for everyone here, no doubt some have genuine issues (and I can't emphasise that enough). But what vherbal is suggesting casts dispersion on the brand and he can do so without telling us the whole story and without getting his facts straight (ie. Mercenary having dropped the brand). If ADAM were to make outlandish claims they would be held to account and rightly so.

From where I sit, I do see service issues but it is a small percentage of my turnover (at a guess, it would be single % figures) and I make sure my dealers are equipped to sort issues quickly and painlessly for the customer. The only issues I've had that haven't been dealt with quickly are customers who've made life difficult for themselves (purchased from overseas, decided to open the unit up themselves etc).

Of course, you can take what I say with a grain of salt - I do have a vested interest in the success of the brand. But I would ask you take every other opinion here with the same degree of disbelief because covert or otherwise, others too have a vested interest in the failure of said brand.

YMMV


Last edited by entropy; 12th February 2011 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: puncuation
Old 12th February 2011
  #978
Gear Head
 

i just joined the board so far to post inthis thread :p

i aint a adam basher, i am a potential customer that is frustrated by an amazing speaker i tried and heard a flaw in it, and cant get a honest answer by the company that makes it.

entropy...i agree its very dangerous for a company to be under this kind of public fire, but i find it worse adam is trying to pretend nothing is wrong, hiding this flaw on some speakers from the public and literally trying to "sell" it as working as intended, or just turning it into a battle of semantics again and again("well, all reflex tubes have port noise yadda yadda yadda"), while they well know they are taking back flawed speakers from customers and fixing/modding/patching them up to fix the port noise.

i am just in a process of buying the speakers myself witch i think are amazing and i want them, but first of all in 6 months they havent publicly announced anything(not even that some speakers have this problem, or that its gonna be fixed, or how its gonna be fixed). and as a potential new customer i could not find the information if the speakers will be fixed or if i can order a fixed version soon. but no, adam is publicly denying any faults and keeping silent, and i think thats a really ****ty move to your existing or potential customers.

and i find it unpractical to buy a speaker, send it back to the store, send it back to germany to get it fixed, send it back here and then to me again.
if adam could tell me when the fixed one will be ready ill be happy. ill know to wait on adams or buy something else. but no, adam is keeping silent and it seems kinda crooked to me.
Old 12th February 2011
  #979
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
We are a fairly small market here in Australia compared to the US but to date my customer incidence with the porting issue is less than 1%. Yup, there are other issues but some of them can be attributed to our wildly fluctuating power supplies here (+/- 25v depending on where you are), some can be attributed to freight issues and yes, some can be attributed to assembly or faulty components.

All this needs to put into perspective. The A7X is hugely successful and in any manufactured item there is going to be a certain degree of failure rate. Go and have a look over at Apple discussions page - you would think they can't build anything without it breaking but I have used Mac since the early 90's and am yet to have anything more terminal than the odd hard drive issue (not Apple's fault) and the same can be said of my own ownership of ADAM monitors except for 1 blown fuse.

I have no inside knowledge here and do not speak on behalf of ADAM but I would guess that something will be said when the A7X with flanges start shipping. What ADAM can't be expected to do is answer every second post here with the same answer, "we're working on something".


PS. hmmm, I have no signature on this post - I don't know why, it seems to be on some and not others ????

Last edited by entropy; 12th February 2011 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: adding PS.
Old 12th February 2011
  #980
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
We are a fairly small market here in Australia compared to the US but to date my customer incidence with the porting issue is less than 1%. Yup, there are other issues but some of them can be attributed to our wildly fluctuating power supplies here (+/- 25v depending on where you are), some can be attributed to freight issues and yes, some can be attributed to assembly or faulty components.
well...i tried a5x and a7x in the store, both had the same problem and the sales guy said all Ax speakers he played so far had this. and i think your 1% number is flat out wrong. most of the people will maybe NEVER in their carrier encounter this port noise since they work with genres that never go so low in spectrum, or in their work flow they always have some higher frequencies playing that negates the noise. Also when these people do encounter it its so short they don't even notice it. Also there is probably a large group of people that just doesn't hear their speakers farting at certain frequencies and there's also a group that simply doesn't care and accepted the trade off.

Also there are i think TONS of people that are not aware of their speakers having this problem and thats the part adam is scared about. They are filling their pants that if it goes public everyone is gonna start returning their speakers, even if they hear the flaw or not.

if it was truly 1%, would adam avoid this problem like the plague and keep silent on it like they are? that in 6 months only info we get is something someone leaked here from an email or a from a distributor about flanges or whatever they will do?

i think the problem is global and i dont dig that adam didnt step up and admit it but they are playing it like sneaks, "lets not admit it it might ruin our sales/get massive speaker returns so we will just act like nothing is wrong and we will fix the speakers for those that really really really pester us about it".

seems like they just want to sell me a flawed speaker. as i said, just not a nice way to deal with your customers.
Old 12th February 2011
  #981
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaa View Post
well...i tried a5x and a7x in the store, both had the same problem and the sales guy said all Ax speakers he played so far had this. and i think your 1% number is flat out wrong. most of the people will maybe NEVER in their carrier encounter this port noise since they work with genres that never go so low in spectrum, or in their work flow they always have some higher frequencies playing that negates the noise. Also when these people do encounter it its so short they don't even notice it. Also there is probably a large group of people that just doesn't hear their speakers farting at certain frequencies and there's also a group that simply doesn't care and accepted the trade off.

Also there are i think TONS of people that are not aware of their speakers having this problem and thats the part adam is scared about. They are filling their pants that if it goes public everyone is gonna start returning their speakers, even if they hear the flaw or not.

if it was truly 1%, would adam avoid this problem like the plague and keep silent on it like they are? that in 6 months only info we get is something someone leaked here from an email or a from a distributor about flanges or whatever they will do?

i think the problem is global and i dont dig that adam didnt step up and admit it but they are playing it like sneaks, "lets not admit it it might ruin our sales/get massive speaker returns so we will just act like nothing is wrong and we will fix the speakers for those that really really really pester us about it".

seems like they just want to sell me a flawed speaker. as i said, just not a nice way to deal with your customers.
I'm telling you fact, the incidence of people complaining about port noise here in Aussie, as stated, is less than 1% and I respectfully disagree with your points about the company not admitting anything.

Klaus came here, commented and stated he will work to find a solution. It's not for me to second guess their response but when a solution is ready, no doubt we'll all hear something. And as far as selling a flawed speaker, again I disagree. There are plenty of happy A7X users who use and abuse their monitors every day, without issue.

Again, I make the point, go and have a look at Apple discussions: Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home and you would conclude that every Mac is crook. But the reality is that those posting are those with issues and those with a working computer are off doing work.

As always, YMMV
Old 12th February 2011
  #982
Gear Head
 

i am sorry, my point was that the percentage of user feedback you get on port noise doesnt reflect the real percentage of speakers affected for the reasons i stated in the last post.

wait wait wait... you are telling me that ONE post in 6 months by an adam representative, on a FORUM not many people read, where he says "they are looking into it" can be considered as acknowledging the problem and working on it being resolved?

and again i dont feel like repeating myself, adam staff or people that cooperate with adam (like you) have this tendency to get in a loop of repeating sentences like "but there are a lot of happy ax users tralalalal" ...yes, thats why i wrote all the things i did in my last post...and again, i dont feel like repeating myself..read it again.

bottom line is, people that dont have problems probably are happily producing music right now, not trolling on the forums like me frustrated like most that heard the problem and want it resolved, so we wont hear all those happy people here but mostly unhappy. that is true.

however if that is the case, and if most speakers indeed are not suffering from this problem, why hasn't adam publicly addressed this so people test their speakers and see if they are flawed or not? why didnt they write an appropriate course of action if people do encounter this noise?

why do i hear from people around that adam is coming to pick up their speakers to fix their ports, but no official statement has been made yet about anything?

why hasnt the adam distribution for my whole country heard a peep from adam about it and are selling their whole stock full of flawed monitors?

why cant i find out if adam can send them a pair of fixed ones so i dont have to buy flawed ones, have them shipped back, sent to germany, then from germany again here and to me again....

and why did i have to find out all the things here from the forums instead of tech support pages?
Old 12th February 2011
  #983
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Hi bornaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaa View Post
wait wait wait... you are telling me that ONE post in 6 months by an adam representative, on a FORUM not many people read, where he says "they are looking into it" can be considered as acknowledging the problem and working on it being resolved?
who said one post? I haven't searched through 33 pages lately but Klaus has posted repeatedly within this thread. I think Sascha from the R&D department has also chimed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaa View Post
and again i dont feel like repeating myself, adam staff or people that cooperate with adam (like you) have this tendency to get in a loop of repeating sentences like "but there are a lot of happy ax users tralalalal"
No doubt - I'm a glass half full kinda guy by nature. But have a read through the thread - those people are posting here as well to reiterate the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaa View Post
however if that is the case, and if most speakers indeed are not suffering from this problem, why hasn't adam publicly addressed this so people test their speakers and see if they are flawed or not? why didnt they write an appropriate course of action if people do encounter this noise?
Let me again quote you: "...if most speakers indeed are not suffering from this problem, why hasn't ADAM publicly addressed this...".

I'm no legal expert but large companies are not in the habit of admitting anything especially when a perceived "flaw" effects a relatively low percentage of users ....and admitting anything opens up a large can worms for both shareholders and customers to sue. So rightly or wrongly, it ain't going to happen. Again, I refer you to Apple and the iPhone 4 issues. Did Steve Jobs or Apple ever acknowledge that there was an issue or recall the product? Was every owner affected? No, but he did come with a solution eventually (free bumper case) and now it's happy days.

And I don't buy the "users don't know what their listening for" point you made. I have experienced engineers, making great sounding tunes that have NO ISSUES. Your opinion is based on a salesmen who said "they all sound like that" and then demoed you 2 models that showed the issue. That is far from conclusive proof my friend. Maybe he has an axe to grind? Or maybe he makes better profit moving brand X?

The bottom line is this. If you don't like the product, take your money elsewhere, it's that simple. Monitoring is a very personal preference and you have to be happy with what you're working on. Many ADAM users love their monitors and wouldn't swap them for anything else. For those that have experienced issues we can only try and do our best for them and endeavour to rectify their issues.

And yes, there are some that will never be satisfied and I'd suggest they find another solution that works for them and move on.

Old 12th February 2011
  #984
Gear Nut
 
HDaudioCoyote's Avatar
 



working in my small game-audio lab with A5X every day and like it!
nothing to complain about.

CoYotE
Old 12th February 2011
  #985
Lives for gear
 
Tom Hakala's Avatar
 

my local dealer said that there was problems with new sx series but not with ax. They are selling lots of pairs. Just looked at thomann site and a7x is their one of the best selling monitors at the moment. I'm so happy with my pair.
Old 12th February 2011
  #986
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Hi bornaa
who said one post? I haven't searched through 33 pages lately but Klaus has posted repeatedly within this thread. I think Sascha from the R&D department has also chimed in.
my bad then, but then again, i saw nothing conclusive said from them from in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Let me again quote you: "...if most speakers indeed are not suffering from this problem, why hasn't ADAM publicly addressed this...".

I'm no legal expert but large companies are not in the habit of admitting anything especially when a perceived "flaw" effects a relatively low percentage of users ....and admitting anything opens up a large can worms for both shareholders and customers to sue. So rightly or wrongly, it ain't going to happen. Again, I refer you to Apple and the iPhone 4 issues. Did Steve Jobs or Apple ever acknowledge that there was an issue or recall the product? Was every owner affected? No, but he did come with a solution eventually (free bumper case) and now it's happy days.
as i said, the "flaw" effects a low percantage of users, but its probably in all the speakers. i dont do that much bass heavy music, but when buying nice monitors like these - why limit myself? sooner or later you might need to work in this frequency range. and as a studio monitor, having a frequency range when played alone rumble is kinda not my idea of reproducing neutrally like every studio monitor should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
And I don't buy the "users don't know what their listening for" point you made. I have experienced engineers, making great sounding tunes that have NO ISSUES. Your opinion is based on a salesmen who said "they all sound like that" and then demoed you 2 models that showed the issue. That is far from conclusive proof my friend. Maybe he has an axe to grind? Or maybe he makes better profit moving brand X?
i do buy it. you have no idea how many people didnt notice this until they were explicitly instructed to do a sinewave sweep or play a 808 kick at that frequency. and i know alot of people dont go to those frequencies. the store i was at is the main distributor of adam for my whole country, so its his money were talking about here as well. he just could not deny it since we had 3 pairs of ears listening and all agreed on the excessive noise. and conclusive proof your asking about is this thread. dont know if you read it? tons of people are reporting this

want more proof? heres quote from an Adam representative Christian Hindemith i got today

"To make the rest of the long story short: So, we started to look for a solution for those two models. It took some time and quite some assets, but we’ve found a solution. We needed more time to realize and implement it, but the result was/is: Every A7X/A8X user who did experience this ‘port noise’ and contacts us via our support will get a free retrofitting. Also, we will implement this in the manufacturing process as soon as possible."

proof enough for you?

sad thing is, they are ignoring the a5x that has the very same flaw, and i was most interested in this one, a7x was a tad too big. probably because they feel electronic musicians will go for the bigger, more bass heavy models so percentage reporting the flaw on a5x is even lower.


Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
The bottom line is this. If you don't like the product, take your money elsewhere, it's that simple. Monitoring is a very personal preference and you have to be happy with what you're working on. Many ADAM users love their monitors and wouldn't swap them for anything else. For those that have experienced issues we can only try and do our best for them and endeavour to rectify their issues.

And yes, there are some that will never be satisfied and I'd suggest they find another solution that works for them and move on.

you are kinda right here, but as you see, bitching did pay off. adam is fixing the speakers. you can take you money elsewhere and dismiss adam because of this flaw, or you can help a great product become even better. i think the latter is better for all of us in the end, dont you think?
Old 18th February 2011
  #987
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Anyone got them damn flanges yet?

This has been an absurdly long amount of time to produce a stupid little retro-fit.

Seriously, I dont want to be a bitch about this, I cannot even imagine how ADAM HQ have been these past... err.. TEN F*CKING MONTHS.

I have always loved Adam. But because of Adam, I have take a serious workflow toll. I bought the A7x's a couple months before critical work, and was forced to critically work under spec'ed.

From then on, I have had to make by with loaned speakers, waiting on them damn flanges.

Now I seriously doubt I will wait more on user feedback. Been using Dynaudio and Focals, I much prefer the Adam sound, but it is all basically a matter of getting used to and translating work. That I was forced to do for 10 damn months. At first double the work, now a little over my favourite.

Someone PLEASE give me a good reason to wait

As Jar-Jar would put in

"Me-sa-getting-ooooooohhhh-so-pisssssed-off-me-ah-be!" dfegad
Old 19th February 2011
  #988
Lives for gear
 
entropy's Avatar
Jar-Jar.... is it possible George Lucas could come a more racist character if he tried? I'm surprised he didn't dress him in a red jacket and white shirt and have him picking cotton as well

anyway

Hey Big Bang

My understanding is "stupid little retro-fit" is not what they plumbed for. Rather, variations were produced, tested and have/are being manufactured. As for timeframes of when you can expect a solution, I'd talk to your dealer as this will vary from country to country but to my knowledge flanges are rolling out as we speak.
Old 20th February 2011
  #989
Gear Maniac
Yeehaw

Picked up a used Adam Sub-7 ($350) with my A7X's
Time to clear the ears out and dial in
hehheh
Old 24th February 2011
  #990
Gear Nut
 
ManAlive's Avatar
 

so what now ? any news on how new mk2 model sounds ? how much does it changes the sound
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Madkour / So much gear, so little time
397
Icarus / High end
4
akaie / So much gear, so little time
0
cush / So much gear, so little time
1
oceantracks / High end
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump