The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

I've been a long time lurker on Gearslutz. I know enough to not believe most of what I read here, but this place is still a great help in building a starting point.

Well, I've been in the market for new nearfields in the price range of the A8X and have been trying to listen to all I could. I've listened to just about everything available except the Adams, but a friend suggested I seriously consider them. I'm sure I will before making a final decision, but this thread has me worried. They will have to be clearly spectacular to overcome this thread.

So far, the Focal CMS65 is the best I've heard - amazingly detailed. There are several that go above the $2200/pr range that sound at least equal, but those are above my price limit.

Going into this, two others under serious consideration were the JBL LSR4328 and the Dynaudio BM6A MKII. The Dynaudio were a surprise instant loser - no way could I mix on those.

My room is on the small side of medium and is well treated with very effective full spectrum absorbers on the front wall, and bass traps/diffusion everywhere else. (My diffusers are mostly book cases).

I'll continue to monitor this thread and search for more on Focals here. Any other thoughts in this price range I should consider?

I should add: I don't like the Genelecs in this price range either.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mend View Post
Is "These" referring to the Adam's? Not sure if I understood your last sentence.
No no no... Adam are FANTASTIC for mixing!!

These as in "this last description"

Sorry for the confusion
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

Adam A8X

Been following this thread closely. but since what i saw was mostly directed to the Adam A7X i decided to go ahead and buy em.
I had a listen to them today using the tone generator in logic and the file Analog Deep Bass_bip.aif. What i heard was port noise, no doubt. I had high hopes that this wasn't a with the A8X. I love the sound on them! But when you pay so much for a product, it should work as expected....
I also noticed humming sound from the amp. When i took away all the cables and turned down the volume to infinity (and beyond) i hear noise from both the tweeter and woofer, this is consistent on both speakers.
Anyone else with A8X have the same problems?

Aksel

Oh and yeah... i know, a first poster... again
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

It's amazing how many 1st posters get directly to this thread and bash the ADAM monitors. Something is fishy to me here. Check this thread and other ADAM threads, you guys will notice this. Sounds to me like 1 man retaliation or a competition company which wants to bring ADAM's reputation down by bashing it in oblivion with dirty posts. I personally know over 10 users of new ADAM's and no one has this problem.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
It's amazing how many 1st posters get directly to this thread and bash the ADAM monitors. Something is fishy to me here. Check this thread and other ADAM threads, you guys will notice this. Sounds to me like 1 man retaliation or a competition company which wants to bring ADAM's reputation down by bashing it in oblivion with dirty posts. I personally know over 10 users of new ADAM's and no one has this problem.
that happens on a whole lot of threads on gearslutz. I submitted in the suggestion forum that new posters should have their first 20-30 posts moderated but it never passed the moderation of the suggestion forum and was never posted- go figure. People creating aliases to bash products on GS is out of hand.
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

The number of posts on Gearslutz doesn't guarantee either knowledge or ethics.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
No no no... Adam are FANTASTIC for mixing!!

These and in "this last description"

Sorry for the confusion
Hey, no problem.

I'm still waiting to use my Adam's. For some reason my supplier decided to send the cables and speakerstands a little later and they haven't arrived yet. I'm looking at my A7X's and I really like the way they look. Someone here described them as Darth Vader morphing into a speaker or something. That's quite accurate I think.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwi View Post
Very well put, and I see no bashing at all.

Of all here, I think I "bashed" the most

But yeah, really, this thread breaks records for 1st posters.

Be very welcome to our insane asylum
Old 10th January 2011
Pip
Lives for gear

Ive been using mine for a few days, one instance of port noise under exceptional duress. They are superb sounding for the money and I suspect the vast majority of users will have no problems. Those using super sine waves, with boomy 808 kicks might, won't be a problem for me. If there is abetter sounding monotor for the money I'm unsure what it is.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwi View Post
but it does guarantee that if you moderate the first 20-30 posts of new members they just can't create accounts to bash and cause havoc like what's done by many.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

This is an internet forum, it is to be expected... some post with experience on the product... some are inquisitive.... some just want to moan...
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

Clearing up

Just to be clear, i`m not joining slutz to bash Adam, just to ask if anybody else have the same problem as i do. A love the clarity of the speakers, and im getting better mixes than ever! So anybody? noise from A8x when everything is disconected and volume turned down to infinity?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksel.holand View Post
Just to be clear, i`m not joining slutz to bash Adam, just to ask if anybody else have the same problem as i do. A love the clarity of the speakers, and im getting better mixes than ever! So anybody? noise from A8x when everything is disconected and volume turned down to infinity?
could be a tinitus. Adam tweeters can be quite aggressive
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
...noise from A8x when everything is disconected and volume turned down to infinity?
One of my A7x is buzzing on occasions even with no audio cables connected. Sounds like a transformer or home aquarium membrane pump ..no port noise though (only tested on low levels). I will put it under warranty..
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just to clarify my position, the Adam's are obviously fine sounding monitors as are the Focals. I don't think that's a problem for most people, assuming they like that kind of sound.

Second, the port noise?
Is it just slight port chuff, which is a downside to just about all ported boxes OR is it buzzing, rattling and so forth?

Just curious.
Old 11th January 2011
A7x port noise

Quote:
Been following this thread closely. but since what i saw was mostly directed to the Adam A7X i decided to go ahead and buy em.
I had a listen to them today using the tone generator in logic and the file Analog Deep Bass_bip.aif. What i heard was port noise, no doubt. I had high hopes that this wasn't a with the A8X. I love the sound on them! But when you pay so much for a product, it should work as expected....
I also noticed humming sound from the amp. When i took away all the cables and turned down the volume to infinity (and beyond) i hear noise from both the tweeter and woofer, this is consistent on both speakers.
Anyone else with A8X have the same problems?

Aksel

Oh and yeah... i know, a first poster... again
I may be able to shed some light on this port noise issue. I have a friend who used to work live sound for years and he said that you can make any box out there have port noise if you push the speaker beyond it's built purpose no matter the price or quality. The Adam is only rated to around 40Hz and in all likelyhood it probably begins to drop off at around 60Hz due to the inherent physics of the woofer size. I really think that if we could all understand that these a7x's were never meant to deliver sine waves at really loud volumes at the extreme end of it's frequency response and to try using the sub 8 crossed over at 85Hz, I think this would quickly become a non issue. You know this is like buying a honda that registers 120mph and then driving it nonstop at 125 redlined and then taking it back to the dealer when the engine light comes on. I understand that there may be a problem here but I'm not sure cranking sine waves and sample patches that all to often need cuts and high passing to sound right in a mix anyway, is a good test. Adam is not perfect, but I think they are getting hammered here by amateur tests that may not be real world tests. Just my opinion of course. I only have owned the s3a's and p22a's so I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to make a valid point on the subject.
Oh, it is perfectly normal to hear a low level hum sometimes from transformer self-noise on powered monitors. I hear this with with my sub 8 only if I put my head right up to it, but at the mix position it is a non- issue. hope this helps.
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear
Mail received today from adam support ( after I send myself a mail as advised by
Christian Hindemith On the Adam facebook page ,about port noise):

"Hello Alex,

thanks for your mail. You have contacted us due to some low frequency irregularities in your ADAM speaker, often referred to as 'port noise'. Port noise means parasitic noises produced by the air driven around the inner edges of the bass reflex tubes and should not be confused with 'rattling', 'humming', etc.

In order to assess the issue and to find the best and fastest way to deal with it, we would like to ask you to answer the following questions:

1. Please describe the issue as detailed as possible. Does the noise disappear when you clog the reflex ports (e. g. with fabric)? Are your low frequency drivers working correctly? Does the noise change when you touch the rubber sealing of the woofer?

2. When and where (country, dealer) did you buy your speakers?

3. What are the serial numbers of your speakers?

4. Have you already contacted anyone (dealer, service, ADAM, etc.) with regard to the problem at stake?

5. Where are you located (full address)?

As soon as we receive your answers we will process the information and come back to you with details about the further procedure.

Thank you for your cooperation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards"

I answered these questions and now I wait...
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear
One of my a7xs went funky on me...some weird crapping out going on. took them to LandM and was handed a new one.

i am using them with a sub and it is perfect for me...
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear
Some news (maybe) !
Here's what adam support told me :

"Hello Alexandre,

thanks a lot for answering the questions.
From your answers I can be sure that it is the port noise that bothers you (especially the attached audio material proofed this, thank you for that).
We did a lot of researching in the last few month and are now able to fix this with a new bass port design.
At this moment we are searching for the best way to solve this problem for every affected customer (the reflex tubes can be retro-fitted).
So please give us a little more time for further investigations. We will contact you soon with more details.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Marc Plitzner
(Technical Support)
fon: +49(0)30 863009755
email: [email protected]"

I don't understand how they will "retro-fit" the reflex tubes ,but for now ,wait and see...
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritok View Post
Some news (maybe) !
Here's what adam support told me :

"Hello Alexandre,

thanks a lot for answering the questions.
From your answers I can be sure that it is the port noise that bothers you (especially the attached audio material proofed this, thank you for that).
We did a lot of researching in the last few month and are now able to fix this with a new bass port design.
At this moment we are searching for the best way to solve this problem for every affected customer (the reflex tubes can be retro-fitted).
So please give us a little more time for further investigations. We will contact you soon with more details.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Marc Plitzner
(Technical Support)
fon: +49(0)30 863009755
email: [email protected]"

I don't understand how they will "retro-fit" the reflex tubes ,but for now ,wait and see...
I got the same answer, and I don't understand what they ment to say
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

wait you mean to tell me the ax series is not magnetically shielded?
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

A5Xs Duff

I got referred here from the Sound On Sound forum where I put up a post about my new A5X monitors - see below. I emailed Adam Support yesterday but no reply as yet. (Note to self: don't be seduced in future by glowing reviews and sexy looks).

John

"I use two sets of monitors, a small one for working on projects at their initial 'nuts and bolts' stage, and larger ones for the later more audio-critial stages. I used to have a set of Edirols as the first set and some aged Alesis Monitor 1s (not active) for main monitors.

I bought a pair of Adam A5Xs, I confess largely as a result of positive reviews in SOS of the A7xs, and sold the Edirols on Ebay. Later on a was appalled to hear the odd moments of slight distortion in the A5Xs (not one, but both). ('Port chuffing'? I don't know what that would sound like but I've seen it mentioned sometimes in speaker reviews). I checked the same passages on my Sennheiser headphones and there was no distortion, so the Adams A5Xs seem to be crap, which is very annoying given the price. They are the first active monitors I've bought so I haven't fiddled with the settings on the back which I've left at neutral, i.e. factory settings. The positioning is fine and they are on solid stands and away from the wall.

Does anyone have any experience of the A5Xs or any tips on what might be wrong? I was going to replace my main monitors with the larger A7Xs but if this early experience is anything to go by I shall not be doing so and will dump the A5Xs on Ebay. I will also have to be very circumspect in future when reading Paul White's effusive reviews! That's tongue in cheek - I've known Paul's work and reviews for over ten years and I strongly suspect I need to change the speakers' set up rather than dismiss them out of hand. But the fact stands that at the moment the A5Xs do not perform."

Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcimple View Post
wait you mean to tell me the ax series is not magnetically shielded?
Right. But as long as you don't use them next to CRT monitors there should be no problem ...
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
Right. But as long as you don't use them next to CRT monitors there should be no problem ...
I still use a gigantic CRT monitor right next to my Adam A7Xs and it doesn't add any noise at all.

On the issue of port noise, forget about it. It's not noticeable during regular music. If you care about it so much get a Sub8 and crossover.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSoup View Post
I still use a gigantic CRT monitor right next to my Adam A7Xs and it doesn't add any noise at all.
It not a noise issue you would get. But you CRT monitor would give a warped/distorted image when having non-shielded speakers next to it.
Old 23rd January 2011
Quote:
It not a noise issue you would get. But you CRT monitor would give a warped/distorted image when having non-shielded speakers next to it.
It's always been a beautiful blue or green color that slowly creeps across your monitor, in my case anyway. If it happens turn monitor off and move magnet.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

A8X

Ok so this isnt my first post,and im not here to bash ADAM ,actually i really like them lots,i dont have port noise as i use a sub,BUT,i now have had 5 yes 5 since dec 22 2010,3 have a buzz through the woofers when idle even with no signal connected,its that bad at 14 db u can hear it 10 feet away!the other 2 have a rattle at the rear like something is loose,is there some qc issue?i wonder how many ax's are actually making this noise and some people havent noticed yet??
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have heard three different A7X, two different A3X, pair of A8X and pair of A5X. Non of them, including the ones I have been listening almost a month have had any problems...
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Interesting! I have a pair of the new S3xH. I absolutely love these speakers, but they
are too big for my room. I love the Adam sound, but need it in a smaller package. I was
thinking of selling the S3's and getting one of their smaller setups.
They have many options. I haven't heard any of the smaller setups either. I'm located in
Portland, so it's not an option. All opinions are greatly appreciated!
Old 28th January 2011
Quote:
jazzyr1 said-have a buzz through the woofers when idle even with no signal connected,its that bad at 14 db u can hear it 10 feet away!
I checked mine w/no signal, and turned volume on speaker to 14, they do have a hiss which I believe is well within the normal range. Think of it like this if you have a powerful home stereo or guitar amp, ect. and you turn the volume up even w/out a signal you WILL get some hissing.-Nothing to worry about! IMHO
These babies have a lot of POWER and this is to be expected to a certain extent. I'm sure I could hear mine 10 feet away if my room was dead quiet.

for the rattle at the rear did you hold the xlr connector to make sure thats not rattling, also mine were rattling alittle on my home made decoplers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search