The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 1st January 2011
Pip
Lives for gear

Yup I was aware of the issue - did not put me off, great sounding speakers and best in class for the price.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd been try to purchase a pair of Adam A7x's for MONTHS. The company is having some sort of serious issues get certain parts or something?? I dont know that details but that is basically what I have been told. Sad/tough time for them at the moment from what I could gather.

I tryed to buy from both Musician's Friend and Vintage King and was told they were on back order for at least 2-3 weeks which would have been fine, but waited much longer than that. Eventually had to go the eBay route, at least found em new.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Just received my A7X. Hooked them up. And oh yes. Goood sound. No rattling.
Definitely more low end than on A7. Really digging these right now. But usually I like new gear for a while, so let's see what I think about these next month heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
I'd been try to purchase a pair of Adam A7x's for MONTHS. The company is having some sort of serious issues get certain parts or something?? I dont know that details but that is basically what I have been told.
AFAIK adam use same ART(X) tweeters for almost all their speakers. And they wrapping the tweeters manually. depending on sales and priorities, there's the bottleneck.

Enjoy, them.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Port noise here also, I;m doing hiphop mostley and sometimes I have to deal with 808 kicks, and it's impossible to me to shape the solo kick on A7x.
I mean on my pair of monitors port noise is there but not so loud, but on the friend's pair of A7x, port noise is very iritating ... Would those flanges maybe fix the problem?

I really don't listen that kind of music but for example if you play A Millie by Lil Wayne a lil bit louder on A7x you can hear nothing but port noise :D, strange my old cheap Alesis horses didn't have that problem.

And now the situation I have is that I have to find 2000-2500 $ range monitors for my friends and my new project studio, I wanted to get A8x, but right now I'm not quite sure which monitors should I get for 2k$ range :(
Old 5th January 2011
^ I played milli by lil wayne, WOW that song has bass.
Turned up my A7x's pretty good and the port noise was noticeable but tolerable.
Maybe not so loud here as I turned down the Low shelf on back of my speakers. I rarely play bass heavy material.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I still don't hear port noise. How loud should I play A Milli. I had it louder than my normal listening level. Can't do any louder right now because it's 5am here. But if there's no port noise when I have my normal or above normal listening/mixing level... I'm happy
Old 5th January 2011
The easiest way for the noise to come out on my speakers is when I load a software instrument like "Analog Deep Bass"(from logic)-which is a synth w/a ton of sustain and bass then hit keys between C1 and C2.
Electric Bass guitar soft.instr. will also bring it out but not as obvious-as said before it(port noise) has a higher frequency than I expected.
P.S. the squeaks coming from milli were quiet and I had my speakers UP!

have you played your bassy software synth through the A7X's?
Love these speakers though,can barely ever hear port noise on commercial releases-I don't generally listen to sub bass heavy material
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

My pair of speakers doesn't have so noticeable port noise, it occurs when I push them on 50% of their power. But friend's pair, man that's ugly :D
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

Hello

did someone experienced my problem ?
Since today, one of my two A7X (brand new, less than one month, used maybe ten hours), began to make some strange noises, electrical noises, and when I shake them I can hear the same electrical noise.

maybe a shortcut somewhere, but as they are under warranty, I'll return the faulty one.
I juste wanted to know if I'm the only one with that issue ???
Thanks
-fx
Old 8th January 2011
This is a bounce straight from midi (logic 9) fader at unity. Software instrument "Analog Deep Bass". Everything is in default position.
I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had port noise at low volume with A7x's. I chose this because it makes the rattle so obvious. PLEASE START WITH YOUR VOLUME LOW! This does have much BASS and is relatively loud.
Analog Deep Bass_bip.aif
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Oh boy... did I !!

My rants and frustration still smells over here from page 12 (with loads of audio samples)
more too on the following pages

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5566244-post338.html
Please do bare in mind I was extremely frustrated

The deleted post was a huge theorem where I basically "invented" a port flange weeks before Adam, design specs and everything. I wished I hadn't deleted it, I would have loved to have seen my idea next to the Adam's solution...

talking about Adam...

WHERE ARE THE FLANGES ?

Certainly you guys are not showcasing these at NAMM are you ?
Old 8th January 2011
+100 on port flanges, I think this would drastically help w/the noise.
I've been following this tread for some time see post #876
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersinc View Post
+100 on port flanges, I think this would drastically help w/the noise.
I've been following this tread for some time see post #876

Is there a chance that the amps in speakers burn if you just stick a flange into the ports? I think that amps on AX series ventilation is threw ports :S They strickly said in the user guide book not to put anything in the ports.
Will that flanges from Adam be some special designed in that way that it can't "hurt" the amps?
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's taking adam a very long time to sort out the port noice problem.

I've been waiting since last summer to buy a pair of Ax7, but if Adam doesn't soon come with a solution, I will search somewhere else.
Old 9th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting the a7x or a8x soon. Is the difference between the two worth the money? The reason to go for the one or other would be some more power and some better bass. I have a relative small room, though, and i sit REALLY close to my monitors often.

Also, i've been worrying a bit about the things not having a limiter. Is this a big deal, something i really should be careful about? Or do i have to blow off my ears before the things start to melt? A do a lot of cinematic sounddesign and dance music, so i like it loud now and then.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I've been in love with Adam monitors since i heard the S3X-H.
Old 10th January 2011
Nig
Gear Head
Hey all,

First post Been watching this thread for a while now and thought I'd chip in. Just seen this on Adam's Facebook page from 3rd Jan:

Quote:
Details about those flanges will be announced in about a week, we need to sort out some details this week.
Will be going to demo some speakers in 2 or 3 weeks so hopefully there will be some word on these by then.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

There are 2 monitor manufacturers who seem to be having an inordinate amount of problems producing a quality product.
I won't mention them but it's no secret in GS and other places.

My question is, why are people still buying these things?

Seems like a no brainer to me to look elsewhere or wait until they get their quality control, shipping, packaging, whatever under control.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

I think people are still buying them because other than the port noise issue these are very good speakers.

It's much like buying an awesome car with a few mechanical problems. It's a flawed product, but the rest is so good, you still believe it's worth the money and you're willing to accept the flaws.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

New AX Series from ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mend
I think people are still buying them because other than the port noise issue these are very good speakers.

It's much like buying an awesome car with a few mechanical problems. It's a flawed product, but the rest is so good, you still believe it's worth the money and you're willing to accept the flaws.
I agree.
I happen to have no problem though.
Adam tweeter is awesome and overall tone is really nice.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mend View Post

I drive a 2010 Shelby Mustang vert (my midlife crisis toy) and believe me for what this car cost, if it slipped a gear, burned oil or wouldn't start I would be right back to Ford.
A car this expensive doesn't behave like that.

Yes the car has "quirks" and they are acceptable but getting back to monitors, some of the stuff written here is scary.

When was the last time you heard crap about JBL, Dynaudio, Genelec, Tannoy, PMC and others?

Like one guy said, do they play football with these things in the warehouse?

This really seems to be like "The King's New Clothes" here where nobody wants to admit the truth.

I've heard the Adams and the Focals.

Nice, but what confidence do you have that you will get a pair that actually works out of the box?

To me that says everything about how much these two companies care about quality.

Yea, replacing the monitors 3 times no questions asked is great but really... This is not rocket science... When a company can't manage to put 2 drivers in a box add a couple of el-cheapo components as a crossover and make it work properly something is seriously wrong.

Maybe I just expect too much :(
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I drive a 2010 Shelby Mustang vert (my midlife crisis toy) and believe me for what this car cost, if it slipped a gear, burned oil or wouldn't start I would be right back to Ford.
A car this expensive doesn't behave like that.

Yes the car has "quirks" and they are acceptable but getting back to monitors, some of the stuff written here is scary.

When was the last time you heard crap about JBL, Dynaudio, Genelec, Tannoy, PMC and others?

This really seems to be like "The King's New Clothes" here where nobody wants to admit the truth.

Nice, but what confidence do you have that you will get a pair that actually works out of the box?

To me that says everything about how much these two companies care about quality.

Yea, replacing the monitors 3 times no questions asked is great but really... This is not rocket science... When a company can't manage to put 2 drivers in a box add a couple of el-cheapo components as a crossover and make it work properly something is seriously wrong.

Couldnt say better... sometime Im wondering why do I even consider Adam with all these silly and careless problems, it's out of my list rite now, definitely ...
dynaudio, here i comeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
originally posted by mowmow,
I agree.
I happen to have no problem though.
Adam tweeter is awesome and overall tone is really nice

You really have no port noise, did you try the audio file I linked on post #913.

I believe you, if you say you don't. I thought this was a design flaw not a quality control issue.

These speakers are worth the compromise for me, but I'm annoyed

Quote:
originally posted by nig
Details about those flanges will be announced in about a week, we need to sort out some details this week.
Yes, Adam may come through after all.

Last edited by shreddersinc; 10th January 2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: edited- for accuracy
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear
Seen on facebook ,just a few minutes ago :
Christian Hindemith Dear members of our Facebook group,

There has been a small number of A7X and A8X users who have discussed some low frequency irregularities with their speakers, often referred to as 'port noise'. If you are one of those people I would like to ask you to contact our support team (support *AT* adam-audio.de) if you haven'...t already done so.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Christian

at last ,something new ?
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

-Me : Hi again Christian! Are you giving away the flanges already??
-Christian (adam team):Almost ready. Please contact our support team for further details. Thanks Bru!

it seems they're ready to send the flanges out!
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

I wonder how much those flanges will effect the lower frequencies.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post

I'm with you on that one.
We discuss the importance of proper monitoring to such extent on these forums that a simple "well, despite the port noise they are worth it as they sound so good", to me, is not acceptable, which is the reason I am holding out on buying the AX7s.

We invest in acoustic treatment and strive for better mixes, why would I want to invest $1200+ on a set of monitors knowing that, in the back of my mind, I may have this 'port noise' right out of the box. No f***ing way! This runs parallel with the whole 'recording philosophy' that has spread rampant over the boards, "get it right on the way in", well, its the same thing in my book. Sort out your QC and only then will I consider buying, I don't care how good they sounded at the shop and I don't want to have to call you later to get some of these 'flanges' to band-aid the situation.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Exactly.

+1000.

I simply dont get it, although in my defense, I have said it myself.

The thing is, there pups are way too good for their price. So, in a pure qualitative stand-point, I would buy them even with port noise. Why?

For example;

like having XYZ brand of perfect monitoring, but that lacks lower end octave entirely. But you have a second set or even proper headphone amp+set so to just look into that zone. Should the monitors be ditched because they wont go that low?

Well, here I must say, the Adams do fart, I seriously doubt the flanges will be miracle (no port flange take 6+ months to develop) - but the quality trade off itself is more thatn justifiable to invest in them.

Hey, you go the farts? get a sub from your budget, or then go ahead and trade off depth, stereo image, pristine high's, brilliant translation etc, for a clearly inferior model that hypes the sound and booms the lows, that is close in price-range

These are great for compo, not for mixing.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

i've rememeber reading somewhere about nokia phones problems. RMA's, problems versus i don't remember, bberry or some with very few returns. but, like in an older topic where klaus from adam respond to some doubts:
let's see how many pieces we and they sold. let's see the statistics.

oh, and please compare the SAME price range. don't pls compare PMC or GENELEC 1xxx series to A5/7x. even with cms50.
I mean like somebody said already a very good monitor at a very good price with no ever problems and flaws looks to me a little fantastic...
want fantastics? 3000 - 6000$/piece. we have a good range.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Hey, you go the farts? get a sub from your budget, or then go ahead and trade off depth, stereo image, pristine high's, brilliant translation etc, for a clearly inferior model that hypes the sound and booms the lows, that is close in price-range

These are great for compo, not for mixing.
Is "These" referring to the Adam's? Not sure if I understood your last sentence.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search