The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 15th April 2010
Im tempted to get rid of my A7's already and upgrade to the A7X...I love the sound of them, but already ive had to return them for problems

Also the port noise is quite bad I found, i didnt find they lacked bass for small near fields and this coming from a complete bass head too.

But i did find the port noise unbearable as I work a lot on bass and kick drums when writing and programming.

I hope the two ports of the A7X give it a bit more room to breathe and bit more space with the bigger woofer.

Id still like to add the Sub8, BUT i dont like the fact that I can't bypass it...why is there no bypass option on the remote control!

Even my behringer sub has that option. When Im writing i dont want the sub engaged all the time. I do want to high pass the A7/A7X's though when it is on - so its not a case of just sending a separate single to the sub. I love the fact that currently I can press a foot switch and have it either off with full signal going to the near fields, or have it engaged with the high passed setting going to the near fields and sub active.

As well as being useful when writing and programming it helps when its late at night and you've got neighbours to worry about!
Old 15th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Are these dates worldwide or will they ship earlier to europe?
The dates are handed down to us from ADAM USA.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Naw, spherical speaker cabs keep rolling off the meter bridge.
I have the solution to the round speaker dilemma. Gentlemen, I present you with the "Ultramount 3000". Since these are high end stands for round pro audio monitors, I'll list this product at $299/pr. (about the same as one of those overpriced little vocal screens) It's an extra $9.99 for white ones.
Attached Thumbnails
New AX Series from ADAM-champion-2-kicking-tee-itemimg_4304003.jpg  
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Addict

If I add dbs to the "room EQ <150Hz" behind the A7, will I get an A7X ?
thx
Old 15th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefrançais View Post
If I add dbs to the "room EQ <150Hz" behind the A7, will I get an A7X ?
thx
hehhehheh
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Are these dates worldwide or will they ship earlier to europe?
I ordered my pair of ADAM A7X yesterday. I live in Germany. I cant wait

I also ordered a pair of Dynaudio BM5A's. I will keep the ones i like better.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
I ordered my pair of ADAM A7X yesterday. I live in Germany. I cant wait

I also ordered a pair of Dynaudio BM5A's. I will keep the ones i like better.
Are the A7X available in different colours, one guy in another topic showed me a site where they sell them i 3 colours, black matt, glossy black and white like Adam A5 but i dont really trust this site because i haven't seen this option no where else.

You said you live in Germany, i guess i know know a bit mmore about that.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just got word the new line will be available in Europe, early MAY

heh
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Just got word the new line will be available in Europe, early MAY

heh
We already have it in Slovenia since early April heh
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Whaaat? For sale ?? Or demo units?
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Whaaat? For sale ?? Or demo units?
Yep for sale. We have a store that has their warehouse in germany and Adam are a german product so that's why they got them so fast.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Faster than Germany's own Musicstore and Thomann ? Prioritized over UK ?

confused, but

How are they? had a chance with them yet? (personally I'd like to know about the A7x, but I guess any would be nice to know...)
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

I didn't hear them, because this store is not in my city, so i would have to drive 120km there and back again just to hear them.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

I get what you are saying!

But 240km is like...err... 15-25 euro of gas and a 2h round trip.

That alone could very easily save you 250 euros of bad monitor choice!

heh

(from mistakes I learn, that is why the above seems so obvious to me now...)
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I get what you are saying!

But 240km is like...err... 15-25 euro of gas and a 2h round trip.

That alone could very easily save you 250 euros of bad monitor choice!

heh

(from mistakes I learn, that is why the above seems so obvious to me now...)
Well im not even sure if i will buy new monitors and if i will i dont know if it will be the Adams because im not really happy with my A7's, but maybe the new A7X are very diffetent so you are right it might be worth to listen them.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

What don't you like about them ?? (the old ''lack of bass'' enigma?)

And if not, why did you chose them?

Not trying to pick your brain or anything, but in all honesty, even though subjectiveness is king of the day, I really have never heard anything better for the price range.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
What don't you like about them ?? (the old ''lack of bass'' enigma?)

And if not, why did you chose them?

Not trying to pick your brain or anything, but in all honesty, even though subjectiveness is king of the day, I really have never heard anything better for the price range.
I bought them based on comments from this forum, never heard them live. You can read more about my complains here.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just goes to show that subjective thing!

Quick question, did you ''break in'' the speakers when they arrived?
A properly treated room?

I found the exact opposite from you!

I've mastered a couple of trance and electro, my main concern was being unable to tidy up the low end. In these areas, since I dont have a sub yet, yeah, the A7's are not the prime choice. But I found that I got way better results referencing the subs on Senn 650's and trusting what the Adams gave me, than using Dynaudio BM15a's. As with rock, I got excellent results (from the clients, who tested on P.A.) with true representation of what I heard.

I love the A7 exactly because the tweeter goes up so high and I am super sensitive to high's, and paradoxly, I might have some sort brain nyquist or something, cause since these speakers I nail the highs pretty quick.

And the amount of detail in the mids and upper mids... at first I dreaded the results, but then i understood I was working at a ''microscopical'' frequency bandwidth.

Yes, I have much love for the A7's...

If the new AX line is all that's promised, then double the love.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Nut

I don't have a threated room, but yes i have break in my speakers.

Same here, i had problems with low end aswell, i made my mixes at first with way too much bass, but by now i think i know how to make lows good with them, my bigest problems are mids, i make them to thin or too strong and messy with electronic music but i like the A7's for orchestral music, mastering and listening.
Old 17th April 2010
Gear Head

I'm impressed by the bass response of the A7X they can go down soooo deep! The sound is very clean and crisp, the tweeter sparkles like magic its unbelievable. The A7X got the same tweeter like the one from the USD 3000 Adam SX-series! And yes they have a lot of power when i turn the volume up.

These monitors are the best i ever had and i already had Adams A7, KRK VXT6 and Yamaha HS80M's.
Old 18th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm impressed by the bass response of the A7X they can go down soooo deep! The sound is very clean and crisp, the tweeter sparkles like magic its unbelievable. The A7X got the same tweeter like the one from the USD 3000 Adam SX-series! And yes they have a lot of power when i turn the volume up.

These monitors are the best i ever had and i already had Adams A7, KRK VXT6 and Yamaha HS80M's.

I also owner of Yamaha HS80m and want to upgrade to Adam A8X or Genelec 8050A,

From your compare with A7X to Yamaha HS80m, How about the Bass and overall sound between two ????

In past, I Choose HS80m and not A7 because A7 is too lack of bass and cannot go down to low frequency as HS80m.

I really interested in New A8X and want to have more comments on it!...
Old 18th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentbingkau View Post
I also owner of Yamaha HS80m and want to upgrade to Adam A8X or Genelec 8050A,

From your compare with A7X to Yamaha HS80m, How about the Bass and overall sound between two ????

In past, I Choose HS80m and not A7 because A7 is too lack of bass and cannot go down to low frequency as HS80m.

I really interested in New A8X and want to have more comments on it!...
The bass of the Adam A7X compared to Yamaha HS80M's is much deeper and the spectrum is more open/expanded in a way. I think they can go down to 40 Hz and more, 45 - 50 Hz should make no problems. The HS80M's already had a lot of bottom but the A7X sounds much better and more accurate. I can hear each instrument seperately in the mix. I like how they sound.

I have a small room so the A7X are perfect for me. If you purchase a pair of A8X you dont even need a subwoofer. It will be a big step up from your Yamahas. I didn't like the tweeter of the HS80M's they sounded too harsh for me.
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyform View Post
I don't have a threated room, but yes i have break in my speakers.

Same here, i had problems with low end aswell, i made my mixes at first with way too much bass, but by now i think i know how to make lows good with them, my bigest problems are mids, i make them to thin or too strong and messy

Dream, you got them already ?! through who ?? Thomann nor musicstore have green lights on them yet...

You beat me as 1st reviewr haha heh Tell us more tell us more!
They look wider than the A7 in pictures, are they?

Skyform, thats is such a typical evaluation of the A7's. You MUST stop for a minute, before spending cash on new speakers. Your problem is the ROOM! Above all, the A7's as surgical in the mids!! I love them for "microscope" view I can get to any freq. That is why classical and orchestral sound amazing on them... the mids are delicious! Low mid room tone really hightens that 3D space.

Your room is definitely canceling and boosting frequencies. Because the A7's dont go that low, so you wont feel and easily identify problems in the subs, where this acoustic "voodoo" is very noticeable (bass note that dissapear or ressoante the room). That does NOT mean the A7's are bad for bass! Listen to a John Bonham solo over them, smile, and let a lonely tear fall down your cheek heh.

So what you hear is true, what you dont hear, depending on genre, doesnt need that much of tightening, so you can just roll it off (gently) anyway.

Modal room cancelation, meaning a room without proper treatment, will have a series of HUGE dips and mountains caused by standing waves and first reflection binaural interferance. In such series that in the middle of a new un-referenced mix, you wont notice stuff is gone or exaggerated. So you mix and naturally compensate, so guess what the resulting mix sounds like...

Before speakers, or any "i need to upgrade for better results" - analyze your room and correct it. It is not that hard to do in gross terms, and this alone will make ALL you gear sound better.

A7's for trance pads and beats... thats a whole different story. Go get a sub quick. But it is better to check on good headphones if you dont treat your room
Old 18th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
The bass of the Adam A7X compared to Yamaha HS80M's is much deeper and the spectrum is more open/expanded in a way. I think they can go down to 40 Hz and more, 45 - 50 Hz should make no problems. The HS80M's already had a lot of bottom but the A7X sounds much better and more accurate. I can hear each instrument seperately in the mix. I like how they sound.

I have a small room so the A7X are perfect for me. If you purchase a pair of A8X you dont even need a subwoofer. It will be a big step up from your Yamahas. I didn't like the tweeter of the HS80M's they sounded too harsh for me.
Very thanks for your comments !

By the way, I have no worry to up-grade my monitor... (say good bye to my Yamaha HS80m!)

However, when compare between Genelec 8050A (HKD 30,000) and Adam A8X (price not confirm in Hong Kong, but most likely HKD 16,000 / 1 Euro ~= 10 HKD) , is it worth to spend a double money to go Genelec ??
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

How much for the A7x in north America?

Old 19th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
How much for the A7x in north America?

Guys i need your help!!! I have to choose between Adam A7X and Dynaudio BM5A. I love both. I got the BM5A's for a very good price. I think the Adams are better what should i do...??? :(
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Guys i need your help!!! I have to choose between Adam A7X and Dynaudio BM5A. I love both. I got the BM5A's for a very good price. I think the Adams are better what should i do...??? :(
If you think the adams are better based on your actual proper listening tests (not hype) get them
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would you say the a7x (or a8x) were very suitable for electronic music - techno & house music?

Nice to hear they're a lot smoother than the hs80s - Are they a lot smoother than any other monitors you've tried?

For me it's probably going to be between (Acitve) Focals cms (solo 6 at a push), Adam (AX series), Dynaudio or (Passive) PMC T2b / ATC / Proac studios.
Old 19th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Would you say the a7x (or a8x) were very suitable for electronic music - techno & house music?

Nice to hear they're a lot smoother than the hs80s - Are they a lot smoother than any other monitors you've tried?

For me it's probably going to be between (Acitve) Focals cms (solo 6 at a push), Adam (AX series), Dynaudio or (Passive) PMC T2b / ATC / Proac studios.
People say that Focal have a more natural and less bright sound then Adam, so i think they are more suited for electronic & house music. I don't like my Adam A7 for electronic music at all, they are too bright for my ears.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

So they're cheaper than they use to? And i assume this is in US$? Do you mind telling me where you got that?

edited: i made the conversion and it looks like you're right about the price. And nobody has them yet so don't mind me.

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 20th April 2010 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: i found it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search