The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 1st December 2010
Here for the gear

I've had 3 pairs of A7X now.

Pair 1: Humming amps, one much louder than the other. Both sent back.

Pair 2: One with loud humming, the other volume knob didn't line up with 0dB (too far to the left). Both sent back.

Pair 3: One with very loud humming and hissing tweeters (exchanging yet again), the other nice and quiet, very low level amp noise (hopefully keeping).

BTW, all with bass port rattling. I've been holding off buying a Sub8 due to all these issues.
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Apprentice View Post

Pair 2: One with loud humming, the other volume knob didn't line up with 0dB (too far to the left). Both sent back.

Pair 3: One with very loud humming and hissing tweeters (exchanging yet again), the other nice and quiet, very low level amp noise (hopefully keeping).

BTW, all with bass port rattling. I've been holding off buying a Sub8 due to all these issues.
Went through the same thing with 3 pairs of Focal CMS65's so you are not alone! I gave up on them too!
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

wow thats kinda annoying
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow,

this is really curbing my enthusiasm about getting a pair of A7Xs.
I've been itching to get new monitors for a some time and while financially not quite ready yet, those are the ones I had my ears set on, but now, ouch. A thread like this has enough clout to peel off potential customers.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy, they'll have this all sorted out.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

I own A5X for about 3-4 month now, it sounds great for my purpose. Couldn't be happier.

No port noise here but I do agree that they might have a quality control issue. The EQ adjustments in the back don't line up dead center at 0.

But to me, sound quality matters the most.
They translate very well.
They have very smooth highs and rich lows, pleasing to listen to.
They have very high definition as well, makes it easy to EQ precisely.

I heard S3X horizontal version.
I was impressed with its big precise sound image, best sound I've ever heard for near field monitors chategory.
These will be my next choice.
Old 5th December 2010
Here for the gear

I now have 2 very good A7X monitors. From my listening position they are almost silent with nothing playing and pretty amazing when playing. I persevered because I really like the sound quality. The stereo imaging is excellent.

I don't feel the need for a sub all the time, just a bit more with certain genres, therefore I am going to get a Sub7 with an on/off footswitch to test out.

The port noise is rare. Personally I've only experienced it with a few samples and a couple of dance songs that I think were too bass heavy anyway.

It has been unfortunate, and I do think that Adam needs to take a serious look at it's quality control, but it's onwards and upwards from here for me!
Old 9th December 2010
Here for the gear

My pair of A5X arrived two days ago.

I was disappointed to discover that the stereo link pot on one does not work properly.

I have rigged them now so the other one is the main speaker, but I shall send a letter to Adam to ask if they can send me a replacement potentiometer (I'm sure that's all it is).

I sure don't want to pay the postage to return one of these heavy speakers!
Old 9th December 2010
Here for the gear

I've since noticed that my A7X are hissing a lot. It's like pure white/pink noise. This is only with the mains plugged in, no audio leads. It has become unbearable to my ears. Sorry to say that I've reached my limit and they're going back!
Old 9th December 2010
Lives for gear

It seems like 2 particular brands of monitors popular here have some serious quality control problems.
Personally it scares me away from purchasing either of them especially when there are alternatives that you rarely hear having problems.
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've since noticed that my A7X are hissing a lot. It's like pure white/pink noise. This is only with the mains plugged in, no audio leads. It has become unbearable to my ears. Sorry to say that I've reached my limit and they're going back!

Did you increase the volume level from your previous post, when they were not hissing as much? How loud do you have to turn them in order to hear the self-noise (1/4, half-way)? Just wondering what happened between your previous post and the last one that made the noise more noticable.
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've since noticed that my A7X are hissing a lot.
By contrast, that is what my A5X do NOT do. Of course, there is a hiss. They are active speakers after all. But I only notice it in the dead of night and with my ear close to the tweeter. My radio with the volume off hisses more.
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

I had the levels at the center (0dB) in both posts. The hissing was at the same level from hard left to the center and then increased in level to max (in both monitors). One of the monitors (the latest one I received) hissed louder than the other and as I turn up the volume pot past 0dB a different humming noise appeared (in this monitor only). I think it's a problem with the amplifiers.

What happened between my posts was that at first I was delighted to finally be able to sit in my listening position and not hear any humming! I played some music & they sounded great. But then, as my ears tuned into them better (i.e. when making music & mixing on them), I noticed the hissing and the more I listened the more I heard it. The hissing was at different levels in each monitor so it became more apparent.

Some people may be able to cope with having hissing, at different levels, pretty loud (to my ears anyway), but it was only getting worse the more I listened.. and after the other problems I've encountered with the humming, I've just had enough, to be honest.
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Maniac
After a couple weeks with my AX7's I have to say I have had none of the issues posted above.
I have my volume set at 3:00 on both.
Completely silent, no rattles, hums etc.

I tend to bump up my lo's so I get the thump in my mixes which is not realistic.
Did the same with my old 20/20 Bas even though commercial tunes didn't sound the same.
I may rent the Sub 8 to see if I can set up to exaggerate the low end a bit.
As well my trio jams in my control room, guitar, bass and Roland TD/SD drummer. We all like that thump as well and play louder then mixing volume!
No regrets

B
Old 13th December 2010
Here for the gear

this is confusing, it really depends on your luck if you get a good or bad one huh! do these problem occur through time or its rite out the box?
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inch View Post
this is confusing, it really depends on your luck if you get a good or bad one huh! do these problem occur through time or its rite out the box?

I know! This makes the decision of buying them extremely hard. On the other hand, leaving the volume knob at 0 seems a bit loud to me given that my current speaker monitors are barely set 1/3 of the way up, with 100 watts of power. The Adam A7X have 150 watts of RMS power, so I doubt I'll set them up to 0dB (assuming that's midway).

We also need an update from Adam about those flanges. I'd like to get a pair od A7X before the end of the year, but I'd also like confirmation on what's going on. Anyone know if the flanges available yet?

BTW, I see the A7X are not shielded (weird!). Anyone having issues with that?
Old 14th December 2010
Here for the gear

Regarding my A5X pair, I said: "I was disappointed to discover that the stereo link pot on one does not work properly."

I have to correct myself.

At night when I'm playing at absolute minimum volume, I have the volume down in the last few degrees of the turn. As I turn down the volume off totally, the master speaker goes off first, then the stereo linked speaker.

This is the same (but not at quite identical positions) regardless of which speaker I set up as master.

In normal use during the day, this is no issue because I have the volume comfortably off the minimum position.

The Adam A5Xs are not shielded. With both speakers flush against either side of my LCD screens, I am experiencing no issues.
Old 14th December 2010
Here for the gear

And incidentally, I have tried the Dave Holland mp3 (see page 12 of this thread) and have no problems; no rattling and no port noise at normal levels (haven't had the opportunity to really push the A5Xs yet - I'll have to take them down to the rehearsal room one day).

I also tried disconnecting the plugs at the back, turning both up to full, and, yes, a hiss is perceptible as is a somewhat more noticable hum. (Quiet room, dead of night).

Turn the level back to the middle detent (0dB) and the hum is gone and the hiss drops to ear-up-against-the-speaker levels.

A more meaningful test would involve fitting a plug that shorts the inputs to earth. Only then can one be sure the hum isn't being picked up externally. I'll do that this weekend.

So far, I am pleased with my purchase.
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Addict

anybody knows what record the dave holland file is from?

thx!
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Just to be clear, it was the amps that were humming, not the mains. My dealer tested them after I sent them back and agrees with my diagnosis 100%... I also already have a power conditioner. It is possibly a faulty batch and/or poor quality control?

The humming was right out of the box. Some louder than others. The volume affecting the humming was only on the last one I received. The others it didn't matter what levels the volumes were set to.

The different levels of hissing that I experienced was also probably due to the amps?

Found someone else with the same issue:
Forum - GENERAL DISCUSSIONS : NEWBIES
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys!

I'm still debating if I should get these speaker or not, and time is running out. I may take the plunge though. However, they'll go straight back where they came from if I experience any issues. I ain't doing the back and forth shuffle like some of you have done. Wish me luck! :-P
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

good luck, im in the same boat as you, really in need of new monitors and the Adam looks perfect for me despite all the issue ... try out your luck, if anything you just return them... thats what i'm gonna do too!

:D let us know how it goes
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

I am into the Adam A7X or the A8X ,people who you have these monitors how are the warming when you using it, because i'll using it a lot when i buy it.
Old 18th December 2010
Pip
Lives for gear

I've been reading this thread for weeks, my HHB circle 5's -11 years old continue to give me problems, yesterday the tweeter on one speaker kept cutting out. Either way a friend lent me some sprit absolute 4's which are similar to my HHB's, bright sounding but in my opinion better than the circles, particulary imaging back to front to help with verbs and delays.
So I'm in the market for new monitirs I really want to get the Adams but there seems to be so many problems with them, the only other monitors I would consider Genlecs. Do all Adams hiss and have bass port problems? They were very favorably reviewed in SOS.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

What about the Adam a7x or a8x wamring when using it everyday a 10+ hours, it is okay?
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Have had mine (A7X) for 3 days now in a non treated room and along side a pair of Gene's (8050A I think) and they're sounding great. No port noise or rattles. Can get them to sound pretty close to the gens with a bit of tweaking... I'm happy.heh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I really hope they've managed to get the voicing of the A3X right. I'm really wanting to get some rears and a centre to compliment my A7s, but don't want to fork out the full cost of extra A7s. I don't need much low-end from the rears or centre, but do want the midband and top-end to be as close as possible to that of my A7s.
When I went to the store for demo, I felt A3X tweeter tone ballance was closest to A7 ( mid forward) which I thought it was great.
But I noticed right away that A3X start distorting when turning it louder with lots of low end source which I thought it was understandable because woofers are so small.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyNarrowBand View Post
anybody knows what record the dave holland file is from?

thx!

Dave Holland "Three Step Dance" Album : Ones All

YouTube - Dave Holland - 02 Three Step Dance

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I finally picked up A3X (319€/pair) to test with my location setup. But I set them up in my room and oh man... what a sound. I used to have A7s for my location work, which were a bit too heavy to carry from session to session. But why didn't I really try them as my main monitors in my room. Didn't never really gave them a chance... But I'm thinking of returning A3X just to get either A5X, A7X or A7.

Some guys in this thread are saying that A3X's midrange is the most similar to A7. I just loved the way A3X had the bass and kick nicely in your face. But maybe I would need more below 60hz, not much but a little more. That's why A5X has been on my mind in the past few days. A7X isn't out of the question either. Well I guess I'm not the only one with the A*X vs A7 questions in mind heh next week I will have the time to go and check all them out (if the still have all the pair on stock).

But damn, anyone thinking of getting the A3X: don't hesitate, just go for them. Amazing monitors for the size and price.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

After reading some of the horrorish experiences you guys have with what I consider almost luxury gear.. I ask myself (and you of course...):

Who test these things???

What the hell happens in the Adam/Focal factories? Do they play some football with the speakers or what?

I can't understand how some of these speakers come with all kind of very visible/audible issues, as these are not some products manufactured in immense quantities by enslaved 10 years old kids from Asia, I hope?
I cannot blame this defects on transport only. It's kinda too often I read about such stuff, and not only on GS. Adam seems to be on top and on bottom at the same time, with some appalling quality control.

The bigger the company, the bigger the money-hunger. I wonder what will the big companies do soon, when almost all of the common people will be too poor to buy their stuff.
Old 25th December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0yz View Post
After reading some of the horrorish experiences you guys have with what I consider almost luxury gear.. I ask myself (and you of course...):

Who test these things???

What the hell happens in the Adam/Focal factories? Do they play some football with the speakers or what?

I can't understand how some come with all kind of very visible/audible effects, as these are not some products manufactured in immense quantities by enslaved 10 years old kids from Asia, I hope?
I cannot blame this defects on transport only. It's kinda too often I read about such stuff, and not only on GS. Adam seems to be on top and on bottom at the same time, with some appalling quality control.

The bigger the company, the bigger the money-hunger. I wonder what will the big companies do soon when almost all of the common people will be too poor to buy their stuff.
Word is when Sweetwater had the Focal reps in and announced that they would be dropping Adam, the place erupted in a roar of thunderous applause and hoo-rahs. Reliability was a big issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search