The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Just because the driver is the same size doesn't meant that it is doing the same job.
Old 4th November 2010
Here for the gear

New adam user here!
P22A heh

does anybody know what's the best way to 'burn' new monitors?
I'm sure you know somethin about that :D

thank you in advance
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Different manufacturers offer different advice.

General "real life" approach is to make a 1-2hour long playlist ranging very different styles of music and keep it going for 24-48h at around 85dB

More technical slutz advize pink noise. I recently went through a thread, where I think it was suggested that Dynaudio´s website suggested 72h this way, but then a rep came along saying they didn´t even need burning. I wouldn't trust this rep, but I also think 72h of pink noise to be quite excessive.

I personally have a more "lets boogie" philosophy. I leave it overnight with everything ranging electronica to metal to jazz to pop to... whatever!

I also believe, based on nothing except my own thoughts, that the main burn-in thing is in regards of low end - mid low speaker excursion (have the longest amplitude ) and are tightened due to lack of workout. So bass heavy material will produce a faster burn (hence the electronica) - but of course, all aspects of the full range must work together so as not to over emphasive the "opening" of the freq response.

The burn-is is a fast paced gym "shortcut" to get those "muscles" tuned faster. Also, a quick test-run to check for eventual defects.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Holy #$%! !

Just googled some keywords... tho following is taken from Adam's website...

Quote:
Question: How long does it take to burn-in my ADAM speakers?
Answer: Loudspeakers include movable parts. Therefore, they need a certain 'burn-in time' for a full excursion and adaption of these parts. After this burn-in time, the speakers reach their full acoustic potential.
To break-in your speakers, it is advisable to feed them with music signals of a broad frequency spectrum and different volumes for a certain period of time:
Up to one week for a 'normal' burn-in.
Up to four weeks for a reliable long-term consistency.
However, no responsibility can be taken for the correctness of this information since it always depends on both frequency and sound pressure level of the speakers usage. Furthermore, the real time a speaker needs to burn in is, to some extend, always due to the specific speaker itself.
ONE WEEK "normal" ??! yikes!

I mean, yeah, sound response does change over a long time until consistency, but I prefer to get going and gradually grow into the speakers. Never had a translation problem after an overnight burn...
Old 5th November 2010
Here for the gear

First day using P22A
sounding good but not so much different than my last hi-fi speakers!!!
it must be due to my untreated room, am I right?

hum, by the way, its early to make a conclusion!

have a nice weekend gear maniacsss!
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Bump for flange news !!

Anyone know what is going on ??
Old 10th November 2010
Here for the gear

I'd be interested, too.

I ordered a pair of A5X over a month ago, marked at the time as being in stock but when my order was processed, it changed to on-backorder.

Initially they were supposed to arrive on the 10th November. But a few days ago, it was pushed forward to the 22nd November.

Which either means all of a sudden, demand is outstripping supply, or...

...maybe they are fitting flanges!?
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paplon View Post
I now have a pair of A7 and a sub 8, and was thinking of getting the new A8X to replace my monitors but saw they're 8'5 which is bigger than the sub itself (and almost as powerful)...
Wouldn't my sub be redundant with the main? Should I just get the A7X, or the s series and keep my sub? get the A8X and sell the sub as well?

All opinions/advices are appreciated.
May I just precise that I heard and used lots of monitors (dynaudio etc) and I'm really fond of the adam sound.

Cheers.
whats the point for this "step up"?? Your a7s sound much better than the a8x.
Old 14th November 2010
Here for the gear

I know if it ain't broke don't try to fix it, but wanted to try that improved X-art and more powerful Lo mids.

A friend of mine got the A8X and really think they were much better than the A7X (he tried both side by side).
Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

It's about time adam posted some new info on here!! I'm really not happy at spending £1000 on monitors that fart at me.

Come on klaus sort it out!!!
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been waiting for news on the flange solution myself, before I even attempt to buy a pair of ADAM A7Xs. It would be nice to know when these flanges will be available for current owners and if they have been integrated into the new production or not. What's up ADAM?
Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose7822 View Post
I've been waiting for news on the flange solution myself, before I even attempt to buy a pair of ADAM A7Xs. It would be nice to know when these flanges will be available for current owners and if they have been integrated into the new production or not. What's up ADAM?

don't get me wrong these adam a8x monitors are so nice but come on lads get it sorted, i've had them for three months now and still no news
Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

I just demoed the A7X, A8X and Dynaudio BM6MK2 and my initial impressions were that the adams have good very nice highs due to the X-ART tweater but everything below the high frequency range did not feel as open as the high frequencys.

The dynaudios on the other hand sounded very tight and the frequency range felt alot more together and flatter compared to both the adams. The bass was fuller and clearer on the BM6's compared to the A8X's which is one of the selling points for me, even though the adams go down to 38hz.

I also played some of my own unmastered mixdowns and the dynaudios gave me a whole new perspective on my mixes where as the adams made them sound really good, almost like hi-fi speakers would but I know my mixes are not perfect and don't translate very well.

Will most likely take another listen before I buy in 2 weeks, but for now I think im stuck with buying more expensive monitors
Old 16th November 2010
Here for the gear

...just got the news my A5X order has been pushed forward yet again, to the 10th December.
Those flanges better be worth it.
Old 16th November 2010
Here for the gear

@ iTronz: Adam quote the crossover frequency of the A8X to be 2300Hz. That's a bit high for an 8.5 inch speaker. Adam must have a lot of confidence in it.

The Dynaudio BM6AII has a 7 inch woofer and a crossover set at 1500Hz. That's conservative and well within the comfort zone for a speaker of that size.

Evidently Adam's X-ART tweeter doesn't go below 2500Hz. This may be forcing the A8X to push the technical limits for a 2-speaker design with 8 inch woofer and explains the difference you are hearing.
Old 18th November 2010
Gear Maniac

...just got a reply from Thomann that the A7x with the overhauled bass-reflex ports won't be available until beginning of 2011.
Old 18th November 2010
Here for the gear

New AX Series from ADAM

Thomman are talking through their arse, I've had a pair of A7X's at home since June. They're just proving to be very popular & Adam seem to be selling every batch in advance, so there's none spare to hang about in the stores.

They're great speakers though, I'm finding them to be very balanced & well defined. The bass is clear, but not over-emphasised like it tends to be on a lot of speakers at the same sort of price point. Things sound pleasant enough to avoid ear fatiguing problems. However, nothing is over-accentuated & they seem nice & flat overall. Very happy with them.
Old 18th November 2010
I found out that you really need to compare monitors to find the right ones for you. If you just listen to one brand, they may sound great to you, but then when you compare them against Brand B and Brand C, then you realize the different character of each and you will then find the monitor for you. Yes it's a pain in the neck to do the comparrison's but it is very important to take the time and find the right monitors.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenVoice View Post
Thomman are talking through their arse, I've had a pair of A7X's at home since June. They're just proving to be very popular & Adam seem to be selling every batch in advance, so there's none spare to hang about in the stores.
I don't doubt you have A7Xs at home, but not the new version where they have fixed the problems.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I don't doubt you have A7Xs at home, but not the new version where they have fixed the problems.
The flanges fix won't be 100%, port noise is always present based on low freq hz Vs SPL playback. Front ported speakers present port noise, some louder, some less active. Also depends on the shape of the porting inside the box, the size, the wideness or narrowness of the port endings, the internal volume size of the cabinet, the amount of air being push out, the playback material, etc.

This fix will help and perhaps reduce the rattle noise around 50-70hz (as I have experienced on two different pairs of A7X, and A3X), as to make the port noise less active. I was informed that Adam are going to be using curved flanges to be fitted onto new ports (same size and shaped ports on the A7X/8x, but with a particular fitting on the port ends to join the flanges).

With all this said, i'm sure if one digs even deeper, he or she will always find something else to gripe about. This is not just with Adam speakers.
Old 19th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomBud View Post
It's about time adam posted some new info on here!! I'm really not happy at spending £1000 on monitors that fart at me.

Come on klaus sort it out!!!
Are the farting sounds really that noticable???

My interest in these monitors fades away... slowly but sure.
Old 19th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
Are the farting sounds really that noticable???
Well it's not so much the sound, more the smell...
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebism View Post
Well it's not so much the sound, more the smell...
heh
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I found out that you really need to compare monitors to find the right ones for you. If you just listen to one brand, they may sound great to you, but then when you compare them against Brand B and Brand C, then you realize the different character of each and you will then find the monitor for you. Yes it's a pain in the neck to do the comparrison's but it is very important to take the time and find the right monitors.
i also found out that you've written what i'm thinking and i've encountered.
+1.

The irony is: actually u may and have to get use to mix on some monitors, after practice/inspiration/comparison/understanding the mixes became well translated but in fact THAT monitor could s*ck big time in tests or for most of us. And viceversa.
no matter how things goes, 1 thing is for sure: it's personal. A lot.
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSeRe View Post
i also found out that you've written what i'm thinking and i've encountered.
+1.

The irony is: actually u may and have to get use to mix on some monitors, after practice/inspiration/comparison/understanding the mixes became well translated but in fact THAT monitor could s*ck big time in tests or for most of us. And viceversa.
no matter how things goes, 1 thing is for sure: it's personal. A lot.
of course, at some point it is, but I m pretty sure that these Adam S3x-H's would sound better than my actual Dynaudio BM6-A altough I like mine, and got used too? any thoughts?
Old 27th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTronz View Post
I just demoed the A7X, A8X and Dynaudio BM6MK2 and my initial impressions were that the adams have good very nice highs due to the X-ART tweater but everything below the high frequency range did not feel as open as the high frequencys.

The dynaudios on the other hand sounded very tight and the frequency range felt alot more together and flatter compared to both the adams. The bass was fuller and clearer on the BM6's compared to the A8X's which is one of the selling points for me, even though the adams go down to 38hz.

I also played some of my own unmastered mixdowns and the dynaudios gave me a whole new perspective on my mixes where as the adams made them sound really good, almost like hi-fi speakers would but I know my mixes are not perfect and don't translate very well.

Will most likely take another listen before I buy in 2 weeks, but for now I think im stuck with buying more expensive monitors
Funny, exactly the opposite opinion I share. What you liked in the Dynaudio turned me to Adam sound. I liked how Adam spreads the sound across the left and right channel and makes it easier for me to listen to every single voice, or instrument. Dynaudio sound tight indeed like any other speaker plus tons of bass. They sound very sweet and will be vey good for lenjoying purposes, not working.

But I guess that's why there are so many brands to fullfill all the different tastes we have. I just wanted to say my opinion as well.

By the way, two months I've been listening to my A7X and continue to love them every single day. I just wish I bought the A8X though, as mine are not so revealing like their big brother, or like the Genelecs 8040( with a sub). With the Genelecs if the singer says "ss" the Genelec will play it like "SSSSS", magnifying the mistake so that you don't miss it. I kind of expected the same form my A7X, but it didn't work out this way. They are still great speakers though. I love them. But they will not be my last. Unfortunatelly.
Old 29th November 2010
Here for the gear

Here is updated link to A7X vs A7 vs A8X mic test .

Anyone knows title of that song ?

Click on the pic .

ADAM A8X

ADAM A7X

ADAM A7

Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear
I just grabbed a pair of ax7s and am using them with a dynaudio sub. WOW! AMAZING

I was using 8040s...they are being traded in tomorrow.
Old 29th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Holy #$%! !

Just googled some keywords... tho following is taken from Adam's website...

ONE WEEK "normal" ??! yikes!

I mean, yeah, sound response does change over a long time until consistency, but I prefer to get going and gradually grow into the speakers. Never had a translation problem after an overnight burn...
I had a workmate buy some new ProAc's and spent a week burning them in. The frist day I thought they sounded great. I came back 3 days later and they sounded even better. 2 more days again and they were even clearer. Ever since them I don't trust any set of speakers until I know they've been properly 'burnt in'.
Old 30th November 2010
Gear Maniac
Just picked up my AX7's, working on my burn in.
A complete upgrade from my Event 20/20 Bas, MK 1.
No more solder smell when I push em.
So far, I hear the hi end pretty clear, might adjust that down.
Right now everything is at 0db for eq adjustment.
I'm going to give them and me a week to burn in.
It's nice to have some more volume, as the band (Roland/SD drummer) play off of the monitors. Can I say, maybe too loud...
I hear clarity, man my mixes sound different for sure.
A $1000 + my 13 year old Events.
Santa came early.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search