The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New AX Series from ADAM Studio Monitors
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
I think what he is saying is he's buying 5 pieces A3X.

I have a different experience with the A5X. I tried the A5X and the A7X in my room. To increase imaging you have to alter the tweeter level by half a scale. With A5X, you will be getting the same Rohacell glass woofer like the A7X. The A3X is using standard carbon. Performance-wise it may not make a lot of difference but Rohacell glass has always been an upgrade perhaps more for reliability than anything else.
Tell me more please. Room size, treated room? Destination use?

Thank you

At the end of the line which did you got and why?
Old 25th October 2010
Here for the gear

so, can anybody help me?
I have now the chance to get my hands on a new P22A pair.

(old/overcame?) P22A instead of (not-that-much-well-reviewed-lately) A8X

yes or no?

thank youthumbsup
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSlut View Post
so, can anybody help me?

yes or no?

thank youthumbsup
yep.
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSlut View Post
so, can anybody help me?

yes or no?

thank youthumbsup
Are you sure you cant get both?heh
Old 27th October 2010
Here for the gear

aha I'm sure I can't...otherwise I wouldnt ask it desperately.

Suda, I really would appreciate your opinion, since you've worked with both.
what do you think?

Like, to me, A8X is the newest BMW...280Km/h, new painting, new features and extras. But as lots of electronic advanced cars, they can give problems easily.(as unwanted noises)
P22A is the old BMW, 280km/h the same, but ok, It doesnt have GPS and cruise control ahahah
oh my god what comparison

now serious, what do you think?
I have til thursday to give my answer

thank you
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Id say it will come down to budget... plus from tests that ADAM have performed they said the discontinuation of the series as it didnt offer anything significant over the A8x's... in that sense I would go for the A8X's plus it will have a 5 year warranty and the new X-Art Tweeter (which is insane)...

So you have this to ponder:

A8X: New, Everyone who has heard it here at our shop thinks it is the **** (as do I, for near field, I dont agree its great for mid field like other do but hey), newer X-ART tweeter, More Rugged Woofer Design... Amp is powerful and linear even at loud listen back levels, the freq response is a bit flattering, but is still honest, might need to play around on the back to get it the way you like... 5 year warranty...

P22a: Old, will be hard to fix if anything goes wrong, Awesome power and frequency response, its voicing is near perfect, every detail is heard the way it should be... very very honest, no need to alter anything...

The most important thing to do is actually not take my words very seriously and test them both in your room if you can.... and then post feedbackheh if you cant maybe the A8x's... cuz its a safer bet... but someones gotta buy all that old stock right!
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

P 22 all the way or go S2X witch are simply crazy .....
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

What are peoples thoughts on how the Adam A7x compares to the S1x??

Also how do either of these compare to the A8x?
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

The S series are like the giant leap for man/monitorkind... even the smallest one kicks major arse (with a sub) and is a clear and distintly audible step above the A7x... the imaging is in a different league... but you are paying premium moneys... Id love to hear the S2x's!
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

How is the S1x without the sub??
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

S1X + Sub = bingo !!

S2X even without sub : i was like dammmmmmmmm!!!

P11A + SUB here !!

i ain't touchin my set up until i go S2X !!
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Thanks for the reply.

How is the S1x without the sub??
Depends on the music you do but I dont think they qualify as full rangers... but there is a lot of bass dont get me wrong, just not extended bass...

Id say get atleast a KRK sub or seomthing with it... even if you dont use it always...
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

I was just in my local pro audio shop buying a hard drive and they had a pair of the AX5's set up, so I figured I would take a quick listen. They really sounded pretty damn good for being so small. I was kinda shocked. Obviously this wasn't any kind of scientific test or serious A/B.. just a quick listen. But again. These could be a nice choice for someone in a small room. I'm planning on putting in a little 'studio b' in our new house and these might be just the ticket.
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

I can't afford a sub to go with the S1x's. I am mixing in a very small room and am sitting pretty close to the monitors.

Any ideas how the S1x's compare to the Focal CMS65's?

Does the S1x's suffer from the same port noise issues that the new AX range has?

I'm a little sceptical about such a small box delivering 40hz without port noise!?
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Sub 8 + A7X a and you're done !!! believe me !! even a A3X + SUB will kick any otha in that league , don't waste your time with the focal exept if you go to the real deal solo or twin .....
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't afford a sub to go with the S1x's. I am mixing in a very small room and am sitting pretty close to the monitors.

Any ideas how the S1x's compare to the Focal CMS65's?

Does the S1x's suffer from the same port noise issues that the new AX range has?

I'm a little sceptical about such a small box delivering 40hz without port noise!?
Almost all Adam speakers have port noise as expected with dual ports on the front, and high SPL playback with deep bass or kick drums with sub level thump. It's expected. I have heard this on many Adams (trust me), I have gone through quite a few now.

My current A3X monitors have the same effect with loud playback, or bass on solo, or with specific kick/bass drums. My A7X pair arrive this week too. Will update soon.

Adams are great for mixing in my opinion, but for me, I love my 8050A for song making, it can take a serious beating and still some more.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Sub 8 + A7X a and you're done !!! believe me !! even a A3X + SUB will kick any otha in that league , don't waste your time with the focal exept if you go to the real deal solo or twin .....
Agreed
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

hey kingo same here my genelec for producing and for cheking how my "adam mixes" translate !!

i spent a whole day checking all the the family and i must say that the AX are unbeatable value !! the A8X is for 550 euros a killer !!! for that price a 8030 or Dynaudio or a cms are just kicked out ....
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey kingo same here my genelec for producing and for cheking how my "adam mixes" translate !!

i spent a whole day checking all the the family and i must say that the AX are unbeatable value !! the A8X is for 550 euros a killer !!! for that price a 8030 or Dynaudio or a cms are just kicked out ....

The AX series are very good value when compared to other brands. Take the A3X Vs 8020B for example. I looked the BM5a for a second reference set, and the A3x/A5x seem like better value. But it all depends on personal taste.

But sometimes with high price, comes tighter consistency and good quality components, and in this regard the Genelec range has delivered with reliability each and every day for many (including myself) with a consistent sound from unit to unit (in my experience), and hardly any reported issues, if any. I just wish the same could be said about Adam.

But in saying that, it does seem clear that when you do get a good working pair, you can finally sit back and smile. For mixing, balancing, and hearing into the mix, the Adams are just great.
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Head

Can anybody else get to the Adam Audio page on Facebook? The one where Christian was replying to everybody about flanges and shipping delays? Not the fan page with the image of the original A7.

It seems that the page has disappeared? or maybe Facebook is working on something? Hopefully it didn't become a PR nightmare with everybody asking about the flanges.

Anyways, I got impatient and upgraded my backordered A5Xs to 7Xs which will ship tomorrow. heh

EDIT: Facebook page is back now... strange.

Last edited by ObLogic7; 28th October 2010 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: Facebook page is back...
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObLogic7 View Post
Anyways, I got impatient and upgraded my backordered A5Xs to 7Xs which will ship tomorrow. heh

EDIT: Facebook page is back now... strange.
Why? Tell me your room size plz
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
Why? Tell me your room size plz
My room is approx 15' x 25'. I was going to go for the A7X originally, but the A5X would have fit into my workspace better since they are smaller. I'll just have to rearrange or get some monitor stands. No big deal.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would like to avoid going the sub route because I also need to factor in acoustic treatment into my budget. Also my room is pretty small and don't to potentially add more problems to sorting out the acoustics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Almost all Adam speakers have port noise as expected with dual ports on the front, and high SPL playback with deep bass or kick drums with sub level thump. It's expected. I have heard this on many Adams (trust me), I have gone through quite a few now.

My current A3X monitors have the same effect with loud playback, or bass on solo, or with specific kick/bass drums. My A7X pair arrive this week too. Will update soon.

Adams are great for mixing in my opinion, but for me, I love my 8050A for song making, it can take a serious beating and still some more.
Have you tried the S1x's?
Old 28th October 2010
Here for the gear

Amplifier noise

Could someone please describe noise of the tweeter amplifier? I'm using HS80Ms and I'm thinking about upgrade to A8Xs. But I want them for sure to be quieter. I can hear noise from HS80Ms tweeters in near-field when nothing is playing. Thanks...
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would like to avoid going the sub route because I also need to factor in acoustic treatment into my budget. Also my room is pretty small and don't to potentially add more problems to sorting out the acoustics.

Have you tried the S1x's?

Hi,

No I have heard the older S1's. But to be honest, Adam speakers were always known to be on the shy side when it came to bass. But what they did offer - was a very tight, fast dynamic response to kick drums, and bass notes. With this positive feature came the blast of air through the ports, which could be heard and described as port noise (chuffing) when playing sounds with lo-pass, such as lower notes on sine waves, dub bass lines, massive kick drums with 60-100hz energy, etc.

I think the S1x will be no different, but if treated with respect and not blasted with deep bass at loud SPL's, you will be fine. It is a small box after all, and to go down to a claimed 40hz, surely it's not going to be perfectly linear, nor would it be expected.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

if you don't go for a sub stay with the A8X , the S1X are short in frequency imo....go A8X , good for your hear and wallet !! this is the only serious solution !!
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you don't go for a sub stay with the A8X , the S1X are short in frequency imo....go A8X , good for your hear and wallet !! this is the only serious solution !!
Thanks this is what I was thinking!
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks this is what I was thinking!
Hi,

Forgive me for throwing this in, but you should really try to demo these out for your room or atleast spend some time listening to them in a store. It really helps knowing what fits in for your room.

If your room is not so big, the A8x could be your worse nightmare, especially if your room has no proper treatment. You may end up with the 'smile' effect. I had 8050A in a fairly small room untreated once, and the bass on the 8050 was rediculous, it was like the room became so boomy, midrange was not so amazing. I then thought the EQ's are my best bet, but what's the point buying such a large speaker if you going to take away it's power to perform the way it was designed. I moved into a slightly bigger room, treated it, and now the the Genny's work amazingly great, as do my A3x. I am still waiting on my A7x's.

You may want to consider the A7x though. A Sub in a small untreated room is also problematic. You can always cross reference on a decent set of headphones for checking the bass.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObLogic7 View Post
My room is approx 15' x 25'. I was going to go for the A7X originally, but the A5X would have fit into my workspace better since they are smaller. I'll just have to rearrange or get some monitor stands. No big deal.
Mate, can't got you now.

Are you switching from A7x to A5x !? Or Viceversa? (and why)
Thx
Old 31st October 2010
Here for the gear

I now have a pair of A7 and a sub 8, and was thinking of getting the new A8X to replace my monitors but saw they're 8'5 which is bigger than the sub itself (and almost as powerful)...
Wouldn't my sub be redundant with the main? Should I just get the A7X, or the s series and keep my sub? get the A8X and sell the sub as well?

All opinions/advices are appreciated.
May I just precise that I heard and used lots of monitors (dynaudio etc) and I'm really fond of the adam sound.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search